Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
X
OP Offline
X
I know they are not even on the same size, weight and power and price range. Let me give a bit background here:

I have no experience with spotting scope > $100, and I'm planning to get a decent mainly for spotting paper target out to 300 yards in range and steel target out to 1000 yards, and maybe a bit hunting in the future. Athlon Cronus 20-60 seems to be a decent scope under $1500 price range with ED glass. I'm not sure how good it is compared to the new vortex razor hd.

I'm not aware of Kowa TSN-55 until it was highly recommended by someone from RokSlide. Did a bit research online and it seems its pure fluorite crystal glass is superior. Only concern is if the 45× power is enough at 300+ yards range. Plus, I can get it from Optics Planet at ~$1300 at the moment, which is a killer deal to me.

Vanguard Endeavor HD 65A/82A are not even on the same price range with the above two. But I heard a lot of good things about it and it is said in par with razor hd. Considering it's price (~350 for 65A, and $450 for 82A), it is very attractive to me. Will this one get the job done for 300+ yards? If so, I will just save the extra money on a better riflescope.

Thanks!

Last edited by xugz0212; 01/17/18.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the little TSN-55 Kowa and really like it a lot. It'll certainly be getting used a lot more than my 85mm Zeiss Diascope.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
I have the little TSN-55 Kowa and really like it a lot. It'll certainly be getting used a lot more than my 85mm Zeiss Diascope.

553 or 554? I googled for a TSN-55 an came up with nothing?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
X
OP Offline
X
Originally Posted by David_Walter

oh, sorry for the misleadinf. i ordered the 554, which is the straight model.

X
OP Offline
X

Thx for the replu. So other than hunting, are you able to spot holes on paper target out to 200-300 yards?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The top of the line tiny Kowa is the TSN-550 Series. There is also the TSN-501 & TSN-502 which are only $349.99 but not the high end optic that the TSN-550 Series is.
There's also the Kowa TSN-660M series which is outstanding.

In the Athlons, the Cronus 12-36x50ED & Cronus 20-60x86ED are a best buy in their price range or even close to it. The Cronus 20-60x86ED is noticeably superior to a Razor HD and costs less.

We would be glad to discuss which spotter would be best for your needs, just give us a call, 516-217-1000, as well as to get your 24hour pricing smile

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by xugz0212
I know they are not even on the same size, weight and power and price range. Let me give a bit background here:

I have no experience with spotting scope > $100, and I'm planning to get a decent mainly for spotting paper target out to 300 yards in range and steel target out to 1000 yards, and maybe a bit hunting in the future. Athlon Cronus 20-60 seems to be a decent scope under $1500 price range with ED glass. I'm not sure how good it is compared to the new vortex razor hd.

I'm not aware of Kowa TSN-55 until it was highly recommended by someone from RokSlide. Did a bit research online and it seems its pure fluorite crystal glass is superior. Only concern is if the 45× power is enough at 300+ yards range. Plus, I can get it from Optics Planet at ~$1300 at the moment, which is a killer deal to me.

Vanguard Endeavor HD 65A/82A are not even on the same price range with the above two. But I heard a lot of good things about it and it is said in par with razor hd. Considering it's price (~350 for 65A, and $450 for 82A), it is very attractive to me. Will this one get the job done for 300+ yards? If so, I will just save the extra money on a better riflescope.

Thanks!

I just picked up the Vanguard Endeavor HD 65A cause of the reviews and price point. It does have some excellent glass but haven't make it to the range yet to test out how well I can see bullet holes at 300 yds. How soon are you needing one, maybe I can test it out soon and report back.

Last edited by Remington280; 01/18/18.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by David_Walter

Sorry it’s the 553 (angled version)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Thx for the replu. So other than hunting, are you able to spot holes on paper target out to 200-300 yards?

I use shoot and sees so yeah that’s easy money. I suppose I could check it on standard paper and see.

X
OP Offline
X
Originally Posted by Remington280

Thanks!

I just picked up the Vanguard Endeavor HD 65A cause of the reviews and price point. It does have some excellent glass but haven't make it to the range yet to test out how well I can see bullet holes at 300 yds. How soon are you needing one, maybe I can test it out soon and report back.

Thanks for the offering. I'm not in a hurry:) How's optics on 45×? Is it clear enough?

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R

Thanks!

Thanks for the offering. I'm not in a hurry:) How's optics on 45×? Is it clear enough?

Yes it's very clear and focuses very easily on 45x thus is the reason I opted for only 45x. The Vanguard has a focus knob and a fine focus knob to aid in the focus which to me makes it a lot easier to focus compared to my other spotter.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Just ordered the 82A Hope I get a Good example....

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I looked hard at that one, as well. I'm guessing my eyes would have a hard time seeing a whole lot of difference between many of these models.

Let us know how you like it.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've got the Vanguard 65. It's nice for the money and will do what you're asking. They often have a pretty good rebate on them. I think mine was under $300 with the rebate

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
I've got the Vanguard 65. It's nice for the money and will do what you're asking. They often have a pretty good rebate on them. I think mine was under $300 with the rebate

Where do you apply for the rebate?

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
X
OP Offline
X
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan

Please let us know how it works smile

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by TxHunter80

Where do you apply for the rebate?

If there is one going on now, it would be sent to Vanguard with your receipt and proof of purchase. Ive had mine a few years but they offer rebates often

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The little Kowa 553/554 can be had for $1300? That's with eye piece (Complete)???

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I received the Vanguard 82A ED Today......The glass is OK at 30X but above that it is a little fuzzy lacks contrast....I also received a Cabelas 15-45x65 Krotos HD ...That was on Back order.

I spent the whole afternoon with them set up side by side...Looking as far as 1000 Yrds away....The Krotos Blows the Vanguard away....It is crystal clear to 45X and built like a tank...Colors just POP.....Wide field of view,..Good eye relief....Brighter than the 82A even at Dusk.. Its a Keeper....

I had bought the Krotos 20-60 yesterday and returned It...... No where near as good as the 45X Krotos....

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
X
OP Offline
X

I received the Vanguard 82A ED Today......The glass is OK at 30X but above that it is a little fuzzy lacks contrast....I also received a Cabelas 15-45x65 Krotos HD ...That was on Back order.

I spent the whole afternoon with them set up side by side...Looking as far as 1000 Yrds away....The Krotos Blows the Vanguard away....It is crystal clear to 45X and built like a tank...Colors just POP.....Wide field of view,..Good eye relief....Brighter than the 82A even at Dusk.. Its a Keeper....

I had bought the Krotos 20-60 yesterday and returned It...... No where near as good as the 45X Krotos....

Thanks for the inputs! Why do you think the 20-60 krotos is worse?

Also there is another ongoing thread in rikslide abt this and some one mentioned in the comment and i just quote:

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/optics/63120-cabelas-krotos-spotting-scope-4.html

""Hey....Just wanted to Give you a Heads up On these scopes....I picked up one of each the Other day On sale....I had to return both of them because of Metal shavings... If you have not checked them yet...You should The 45X was worse than the 60X...Take a Flash light and look down the Objective end... Move the Focus as far as it will go to the right...Both of mine were full of metal shavings...They will work loose and and get stuck to the Objective lens and might lock up the Focus in time.....I should have Know they were blowing these out for a reason..... It is a shame!!!!!! they have really good Glass..."

Do you notice any metal shaving? Thx!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
734 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,971 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,763
Posts18,401,397
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.