Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Has nobody even heard about the Vudoo .22 around here?

They even have a wrong handed version they are just about ready to roll out and still no chatter on the fire.

Everybody stuck on wood/blue/tube fed .22's?

http://www.vudoogunworks.com

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well they are like $2500 at basically a rehashed 40x. That is why.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Their price is a big killer - you can get accurate, good looking 22s for a lot less than the $2,395 Ravage on their website.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Their price is a big killer - you can get accurate, good looking 22s for a lot less than the $2,395 Ravage on their website.

All depends on how accurate they are and how successful they are in whatever competition they are used in. People who want to win and want to advance accuracy will spend big bucks to chase that goal. If they are no more accurate than a decent sporter like the CZ then no, they would not be worth the money. But if that was the case they wouldn't sell too many of them. What many think of as accurate for a .22 would be blown away to see what a real precision .22 is capable of doing. I was involved in that pursuit for 15 years and I'm still blown away as to how great a .22 is capable of shooting.

A lot of great shooting benchrest rimfires have been built on the 40x action or one of the clones (like those built by Stiller Precision). I like the controlled round feed action that they claim doesn't damage the bullet upon chambering. If true, that is a real plus for a repeater. In benchrest the ammo is carefully inserted into the chamber with our fingers to eliminate bullet damage. The Vudoo site doesn't state whose barrels they use, but it seems that they may use a cut-rifled barrel and that could mean a Rock Creek, Bartlein or Krieger barrel. The barrels used on the Vudoos are shorter than what we use in benchrest and the absence of a barrel tuner (like the Harrells tuner) for harmonic tuning limits their accuracy potential. Most benchrest shooters use button-rifled barrels (Shilen, Muller, Lilja, Benchmark) that are hand taper-lapped but my best shooting heavy benchrest rifle has a Rock Creek cut-rifled barrel. All heavy benchrest rifles use harmonic barrel tuners. If I was to ever purchase a V-22 I would put a tuner on it (not sure if they are allowed for the type of competitions these rifles are used for tho). For the money they charge, they better be able to perform at near benchrest rifle accuracy. If one can believe their hype, it might be. I would have to shoot one to really evaluate it. I'm not crazy about their choice of trigger. A Jewell trigger capable of adjustment to the ounces rather than pounds would be better.

Last edited by cooper57m; 01/19/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
'Stick has one, He's enthused...

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I know you can get Bartlein, Lothar Walther and their in house Ace bbl. Maybe Kreiger too?

The 700 footprint, 700 trigger, CRF, AICS footprint mags in a stainless action and bbl make a potent combination, all in a package that feels like a centerfire, is a rifle loonies dream come true. There are other quality rimfires for sure, but none like the Vudoo.

The idea that they are basically a rehashed 40x is pretty funny, but I can see how a guy would make that comment.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Think I might rather go down to Kokomo for a month

Last edited by DollarShort; 01/19/18.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I went over to Rimfire Central Forums and saw some groups shot by V-22s. The reviews are that the action is real slick and high quality. The groups I saw were decent but didn't wow me. It seems that Vudoo will be willing to put in different triggers, barrels etc. The other variable is whether the guys who work there know all the nuance to cutting a quality chamber. A tuner could have benefited some of the groups that I saw. It will be interesting to see where this new action/rifle goes and how it does. It does seem that they are serious about what they are doing. That's always good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I refuse to have any interaction with dead chickens or Satan.
YMMV.

Have Dog

Will Travel

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
The pair I had the pleasure of evaluating showed promise. Actions are smooth like butter and I especially like the full sized bolt handle...

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Love mine. The guys and (gal) at vudoo are top notch people and are definetly in to what they do. I shoot a few nicer rimfires and went vudoo just because it was something different. They are slick and I have zero regrets

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cooper57m
I went over to Rimfire Central Forums and saw some groups shot by V-22s. The reviews are that the action is real slick and high quality. The groups I saw were decent but didn't wow me. It seems that Vudoo will be willing to put in different triggers, barrels etc. The other variable is whether the guys who work there know all the nuance to cutting a quality chamber. A tuner could have benefited some of the groups that I saw. It will be interesting to see where this new action/rifle goes and how it does. It does seem that they are serious about what they are doing. That's always good.

Apparently they've sent rifles to Eleys (maybe Lapua) test facility and they are saying accuracy is on par with Anschutz. They put up some test targets and were rather impressive. We all know group/br shooting 22lr is largely about ammo and rifle tune. The Vudoo is obviously not meant as a bench rifle.

I love the fact that the magazines are huge. I can't stand the miniscule mags on rimfires and if they feed/function as well as I'm hearing, they are leaving every other .22 in the dust. Add in the fact you can swap bottom metal around, throw it in a chassis or swap stocks with your centerfire, and things just got real fun.

Yeah, it's expensive. It's a custom action with a premium bbl and custom magazines with a real stock and bottom metal and the modularity to do anything you want down the road. Is there any other platform that comes remotely close?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They are WAY bad ass, and expensive compared to other 22's. That said 2300 bucks for a truly custom gun thats finished and ready to go is also a deal IMO. How many guys put double that in a gun that sees 200 rounds a year? Cant compare this to a 219 dollar 10/22, you would not compare 300 ruger american to a kampfeld custom rifle would you?. These guys are after the high end market and I think they knocked the cover off the ball and I really want one.

I put at least 10 times the rounds through my 22's over my centerfires and love em, makes sense to me that I would have a 22 thats just as nice as my other custom rifles.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Passport.. part of the reason it was an easy call for me was the simple fact that I will shoot this gun (and my other 22's) far more than anything else.
I'm not into the custom rifle game much at all but like Higbean said you get choice of barrel make, contour, stock, finish etc...there's a lot of choices included in that price.

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Higbean
Apparently they've sent rifles to Eleys (maybe Lapua) test facility and they are saying accuracy is on par with Anschutz. They put up some test targets and were rather impressive. We all know group/br shooting 22lr is largely about ammo and rifle tune. The Vudoo is obviously not meant as a bench rifle.

I love the fact that the magazines are huge. I can't stand the miniscule mags on rimfires and if they feed/function as well as I'm hearing, they are leaving every other .22 in the dust. Add in the fact you can swap bottom metal around, throw it in a chassis or swap stocks with your centerfire, and things just got real fun.

Yeah, it's expensive. It's a custom action with a premium bbl and custom magazines with a real stock and bottom metal and the modularity to do anything you want down the road. Is there any other platform that comes remotely close?

No they are not meant as a benchrest rifle but they are priced like one. For that money, you can get a used but still excellent rimfire benchrest rifle that will give accuracy that will blow your socks off, assuming that you know how to shoot it to it's potential. Anschutz factory rifles are not benchrest quality rifles unless they have been re-worked by a benchrest gunsmith. They are good for position shooting, but a custom benchrest rifle is a whole other level of accuracy. BR shooting is more than about ammo and rifle tune, you certainly need all that in place to be competitive but what separates a contender from an also-ran is the shooter's ability. Unless a shooter wants a V-22 for a certain type of competition, if you want a real precision .22, for the same money, buy a used benchrest rifle and learn to shoot it to it's capability. If you learn proper bench technique and wind doping, it will amaze you.

When I stopped shooting rimfire BR a fellow (a relatively new shooter) contacted me and wanted me to sell him one of my rifles. Both of my heavy (10.5 lb) rifles shot extremely well and were good enough to compete at the highest level of the sport. I sold him the rifle he wanted and told him that it was perfectly in tune and not to do anything to it but find some good lots of Eley ammo and learn to shoot it. Well - - - - he didn't listen. He couldn't shoot it up to it's potential right away and then rather than go about learning to shoot it, he had to monkey with it. He eventually sold it to finance another build. He really didn't know what he had in his hands. I regret selling it to him. I wanted to give a new shooter the opportunity to really learn to shoot well and his ego failed to let him realize that the reason he didn't put up big scores was not due to the rifle. I tested rifles for a top rimfire gunsmith and many rifles went out of that shop to go into the hands of a less talented shooter who never shot up to the rifle's potential and of course it was the rifle's fault. There were some real good rifles that were capable of winning big matches that the shooter futzed with until they no longer would shoot, thinking they knew better than the gunsmith that built and tuned it. I was at one National match and a shooter who was a customer of my gunsmith was at his bench during a practice session and was complaining about the rifle not performing. I had tested that rifle before it was shipped and knew it was a good rifle. I over heard him and asked if I could shoot it. He agreed and after shooting several Xs with it, I said, "Seems good to me." and walked away.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Higbean: Thanks for the find and link....I’ve been looking to build out a new 17 wsm with a Ruger 77/17 action. They might be the shop.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
BR rifles are easy to pass up and worthless in comparison.

Not sure why you'd be under the impression Vudoo would do a 77/17 Wsm conversion Beaver10.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I bought mine for the same reasons passport mentioned. I shoot much more rimfire than I do centerfire, so I went with a higher end .22.

https://forum.snipershide.com/threa...-results-and-pictures-to-follow.6857880/

Dude sent three Vudoo’s to eley for lot testing.

Last edited by robertham1; 01/20/18.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So the Vudoo shoots consistently with single shot bench rest rifles per the designer of the Vudoo?

Dan says BR guns shoot to a slightly higher degree of accuracy.

From a repeater rifle no less.

Pretty good stuff I'd say.

Last edited by Higbean; 01/20/18.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I looked at the data. The V-22's best group average measured 17.3 mm (.6811") with a Harrell's Tuner (which they don't come with) shot inside (with no wind) while clamped into a vise not touched by human hands. The IR50/50 target has a 10 ring that measures .25" in diameter and an X dot that measures .03" in diameter. To shoot a 250 score (which is done fairly routinely) a benchrest rifle has to group no more than .474" (12mm) and to consistently hit the X dot it will need to group .255" (6.4mm) over 25 record shots, with human error included and doping the wind (when shot outdoors). Fairly typical winning scores will be in the order of 250 with 15 to 22x outdoors and 250 with 18 to 24X indoors.

Also, the IR50/50 sporter class is a repeater that has to weigh = or <7.5lb with a 6.5X scope max and a winning sporter will have to shoot a 250 with 15 to 20X to win a match (with no tuners allowed). The biggest problem being the 6.5X scope where the shooter is not able to see the ten ring. A benchrest rifle averaging .681" indoors would have no chance of winning and would be a very poor performer.

The most recent indoor club match (not a big National match) at Piney Hill Benchrest in VA on 1/6/18 has the following winning scores:

Sporter Class (7.5 lb, wood stock, 6.5X scope) = 250-19X
10.5 lb Class (unlimited scope) = 250-21X
13 lb Class (unlimited scope) = 250-23X

Last year 78 shooters (indoor and outdoor) shot a scores of 750, which requires a 75 shot group not exceeding .474" while moving a across a target in a rest and not just set-up on one target in a clamped vise.

You tell me how a rifle in a clamped vise that averages .6811" (no wind, no human error) shoots consistently with a BR rifle? .6811" average is not bad by any stretch, but no one should delude oneself that it is a custom benchrest rifle quality. If they can shoot with a BR rifle, they will eventually end up in BR matches. We will see.

Last edited by cooper57m; 01/20/18.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,937 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,349
Posts18,468,835
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.