Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
The Tundra may be a little outdated but IMO, it offers the best chance of reliability in the 1/2 ton truck market. I actually think 1/2 ton trucks and SUV's as a whole are some of the better built vehicles around today. They seem to hold up really well and can do so for a pretty good while.

What I find interesting is the Tundra is approximately a 15 year old design...I'd guess. However, it still compares well to the newer offerings from Ford, Chevy, and Ram. It certainly could use some updates though. I'm sure an 8 or 10 speed transmission could bump the mileage up, different rear end gearing options, and some minor engine modifications could raise the power and efficiency of the 5.7L in the Tundra all the while maintaining reliability.

I'd also like to see Toyota offer a diesel in a 1/2 ton and I'd like to see them jump into the 3/4 and 1 ton market as well. However, I'm not sure they will ever jump in that market. IMO, they know the loyalty and the solid base that Ford , GM, and Ram have in regards to heavy duty trucks in the USA. Don't think they will ever make that jump.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 02/13/18.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A Toyota dealer told me that Toyota has no interest in the heavy pickup market. They're after a bigger share of suburbia. He said it's high unlikely that we'll ever see a 3/4 ton Tundra.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A Toyota dealer told me that Toyota has no interest in the heavy pickup market. They're after a bigger share of suburbia. He said it's high unlikely that we'll ever see a 3/4 ton Tundra.

^^^^ This^^^^^^^^^^^ . They only sell 100k a year and are perfectly content

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I don't see 16mpg as being "pathetic" having owned 4x4 trucks for many years. Heck, at one time 8mpg was considered good by me.

The Tundra is not a commuter vehicle, that's true. Unless you want to buy fuel.
But for a solid and reliable 4x4 pickup with a very good track record for durability and maintenance it rises to a top contender in the 1/2 ton class.

I love mine. It has fewer bells and whistles than the Chevy 2014 1500 Z71 I bought new and traded, but does not puff stanky burnt synthetic oil either!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by WTM45
I don't see 16mpg as being "pathetic" having owned 4x4 trucks for many years. Heck, at one time 8mpg was considered good by me.

The Tundra is not a commuter vehicle, that's true. Unless you want to buy fuel.
But for a solid and reliable 4x4 pickup with a very good track record for durability and maintenance it rises to a top contender in the 1/2 ton class.

I love mine. It has fewer bells and whistles than the Chevy 2014 1500 Z71 I bought new and traded, but does not puff stanky burnt synthetic oil either!

My brothers Z71 5.3 gets no better then 15.5. I get 17.5 as an average with mine(more highway then city ) , considering my last tacoma got maybe 2 miles per gallon better I will take that and its' reliablity any day of the week

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In 2018 there is no reason that a modern v8 shouldn't get 20mpg on the road. Sixteen mpg on the road is pathetic, and I am a Toyota and Lexus guy.

You say 'to MAY to', I say 'to MAH to'.....

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by broomd
In 2018 there is no reason that a modern v8 shouldn't get 20mpg on the road. Sixteen mpg on the road is pathetic, and I am a Toyota and Lexus guy.

Depends on the vehicle. Aren't any 3/4 or 1 ton gasser getting 20 mpg on the road with their modern V8's.

NYH1.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NYH1

Depends on the vehicle. Aren't any 3/4 or 1 ton gasser getting 20 mpg on the road with their modern V8's.

NYH1.

Agreed on that point, I'm referring to a 1/2 ton.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Wanting a 25% increase in mpg comes with concessions.

Honda Ridgeline. There's a working truck! Hahahaha!

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

NYH1.

Agreed on that point, I'm referring to a 1/2 ton.

Ok, gotcha.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

Now see, you referring to a Ridgeline as a truck in any manor is an insult to trucks on an epic proportion....it's just not nice! wink

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ridgeline? It'll haul golf clubs, bikes, and all the groceries you can cram in. It does what it's designed to do. I've never seen it advertised as a working truck.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Now see, you referring to a Ridgeline as a truck in any manor is an insult to trucks on an epic proportion....it's just not nice! wink

NYH1.

"But...but...but! It gets 20 mpg!"

Hahahahahaha! smile

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

What V8 1/2 ton gets 20mpg? Certainly not a Ford, chebby or Dodge. I get better then 16 driving to work every day 50/50 city highway. I have gotten 19.5 at one point driving to Florida. I don't drive 65MPH either, I bet if I did it would get 19.5 on a long trip.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I just did a 300 mile round-trip on the freeway for work and averaged 18.9 miles per gallon in my new tundra. I’ll take that.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
I just did a 300 mile round-trip on the freeway for work and averaged 18.9 miles per gallon in my new tundra. I’ll take that.

Awesome, glad you like it! smile

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I disliked the huge console between the bucket seats with my sr5, so I'd want a bench seat. And I'd have to have the 38 gallon tank given the pathetic mileage.
So, it appears according to this thread that the bench seat isn't available with the sr5 and larger fuel tank?

Same here, I wanted the bench. In 2017, you got the 26 gallon tank with the SR5 with bench. With the SR5 Upgrade, you got the buckets/console, fancy rearview mirror, and maybe some other stuff along with the 38 gallon tank.

For 2018, I think you'd better check out the Toyota website or call a dealer since things may have changed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hiaring8

On a trip to Goose Lake, CA I got 18 - 20 MPG on the open road (no stop-n-go), according to the dash display. My calcs were the same, based on gallons filled and miles. Over Willamette Pass I got 18 MPG for 10 gallons, that's up the pass and back down, with some heavy throttle grin

On flat ground, I was 19 - 20 MPG.

I've got the 5.7 liter and 4x4.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
My brothers Z71 5.3 gets no better then 15.5. I get 17.5 as an average with mine(more highway then city ) , considering my last tacoma got maybe 2 miles per gallon better I will take that and its' reliablity any day of the week

I have a coworker with a 4x4 Z71 5.3 and cylinder deactivation. He asked what MPG I get commuting, and I said 15 -16 MPG. He said he doesn't get much better at 16 - 17 MPG. We have a similar commute and he drives less aggressively. I don't think the Tundra is as bad as people think, comparing similar vehicles but his truck is a little older (2012), and not the latest.

I believe the newest 1/2 tons with 10-speed trannies "can" get better mileage than a Tundra if driven lightly, especially with cylinder deactivation. However, if you drive aggressively (which is simply keeping up with the flow of traffic in some places) then all the trucks will have similar power requirements and efficiencies. They won't be in tall gears or deactivating any cylinders. In other words, the "work" done is the same since they all weight about the same. They all start sucking gas.

I have seen this with different vehicle in my job. If they weigh the same, have similar engines, similar trannies, etc. then guess what? Under load, they have the same power needs and energy efficiency. Can't get around it unless loads are light and more efficient powertrains and drivetrains are used.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

What V8 1/2 ton gets 20mpg? Certainly not a Ford, chebby or Dodge. I get better then 16 driving to work every day 50/50 city highway. I have gotten 19.5 at one point driving to Florida. I don't drive 65MPH either, I bet if I did it would get 19.5 on a long trip.

None, you're making my point...

I parted with my latest Tundra, (I've had 4 starting with a spanking new one in 2000) and went back to a V6 ex-cab 4wd T-100.

It meets my needs, hauls my popup truck camper and pulls my Lund boat. And when I drive it down the highway without those toys, it gives me a solid 20+ mpg. I could "want" a v8 truck, but frankly I don't "need" a v8 truck.

But I do like the new Tundras! Great looking rides.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,075 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,264
Posts18,467,183
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.