Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Just bought a new 2018 Tundra SR5, TRD Sport 4x4 with the 5.7. First tank of gas, hand calculated, gave me 16.2 mpg and 140 miles of that was pulling my boat. I'm thinking it should break 17mpg after the break in period, we'll see. Love the power, love the ride, a fine truck. I'll later add a 2.5" front levelling kit with the front differential drop spacers and maybe go to 315x20" tires so I'm sure that gas mileage will take a dive.

Nice, nothing like a new truck. grin

Enjoy, NYH1.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
To those that have a Tundra, Tacoma, etc., there is a product called "Pedal Commander" on Amazon.com for ~ 290$ and this thing kicks ass, I'll tell ya'll.

My cousin and his 3 sons all have Toyotas (3 Tundras and a new Taco) and have these in their trucks. There are 4 settings and you'll not want to exceed the "City" mode. It's all in throttle response, not engine tuning, per se, does not affect the ECM module and does not show when scanning the computer like, say, if you had used an engine tuner. This thing takes all of 5 minutes to install and most of that holding the flashlight in the right position.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
To those that have a Tundra, Tacoma, etc., there is a product called "Pedal Commander" on Amazon.com for ~ 290$ and this thing kicks ass, I'll tell ya'll.

My cousin and his 3 sons all have Toyotas (3 Tundras and a new Taco) and have these in their trucks. There are 4 settings and you'll not want to exceed the "City" mode. It's all in throttle response, not engine tuning, per se, does not affect the ECM module and does not show when scanning the computer like, say, if you had used an engine tuner. This thing takes all of 5 minutes to install and most of that holding the flashlight in the right position.

Does it improve gas mileage?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Of the 4 modes one is labeled as “economy “ mode for interstate driving. Bear in mind that it’s not a tuner just a throttle position amplifier.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The throttle response programming on my 16 tundra is pretty badly programmed. You have to put in too much accelerator to get moving in the normal mode and it feels like a slug, if you put it in tow/haul mode it drives more like it should. Ideally the tow/haul mode with the normal transmission shift points would be how it drove all the time. This pedal commander would probably fix it but I'm not going to pay that much to try it.

I had a 2005 camry that had screwy throttle programming also, they got it right in my 2014 camry. I don't know why toyota has a problem getting this right.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Second tank of gas = 14.9 mpg with lots of miles pulling my Bad Boy cart on a double axle trailer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What exactly does it do?

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Second tank of gas = 14.9 mpg with lots of miles pulling my Bad Boy cart on a double axle trailer.

Last 2 tanks at 15.4mpg and 16.9mpg, both with some towing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I get 16 even with my old light weight, low horse power 4.7 first gen Tundra. Those are some good numbers for the extra size and horsepower in your rig.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
16.5 and 15.4 mpg on last 2 fillups. I’ll be adding the 2.5” leveling kit soon and expect a decrease, we’ll see.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It’s not the leveling kit that’s gonna get you, it’s the rubber. As soon as you get away from the P series car tires they come with that weigh like 40 lbs a piece and jump up into 50-60 lb a piece tire expect a 2 mpg drop minimum. Been there done that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
It’s not the leveling kit that’s gonna get you, it’s the rubber. As soon as you get away from the P series car tires they come with that weigh like 40 lbs a piece and jump up into 50-60 lb a piece tire expect a 2 mpg drop minimum. Been there done that.

Well, I replaced the factory tires on my 2012 Tundra at 25K and went to Hankook DynaPro ATM LT-rated tires. Been through two sets, now and there has been no discernible difference in the gas mileage. We live in the middle of nowhere, and most of our driving is highway--probably about 60- 65% interstate and 30% two lane blacktop, with the rest being in town somewhere.

I bought a new set of P-series Hankook DynaPro ATMs in January, mostly because we just haven't been doing a lot of rock crawling lately. I checked the mileage on a 1,700-mile round trip to NW Colorado in late January, and again just this week as my wife returned from a 2,100-mile trip to eastern Nebraska. Highway mileage has remained pretty constant between 17 and 17.5 mpg--just as it has been ever since the truck was new.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He mentioned in a previous post going with 315’s, that’s what I was referring to. If you stay stock size the difference isn’t huge, go up in size and it’s a different story.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
He mentioned in a previous post going with 315’s, that’s what I was referring to. If you stay stock size the difference isn’t huge, go up in size and it’s a different story.

Yep, tis true and as you say have done it before but do like the look of it. Coming from a 6.0, GMC 2500 gasser, Z-71 giving me a solid, dependable 10-11mpg, I can tell you a 40% increase in mpg is a nice thing. And, with a 38 gallon tank.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Ha - exactly my thoughts. I usually get around 15-16 mpg in a mix of highway and city driving with my 2008 5.7, but when I put on my winter/hunting tires (stock size G/Y Duratracs) I lose around 2 mpg instantly. If I remember correctly the G/Y's weigh about 15 lbs more than the P series Michelins.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Doing my first upgrades here next week. Dropping off at the shop for the following:

4 new Bilstien 5100, with the front set for 2" of front level
BFG KO LT 275/70/18 load range e tires
air aid air bags kit, with compressor and remote

I like the TRD wheels, so there is no reason for me to switch those out. The tires are 33.2 which adds a bit of size without trimming anything. The 2" level will give it a better stance, but then when I tow my 7k tt, the airbags can be used to level it out. Should be a good upgrade in look and function, without getting too crazy. Will post pictures when its done.

On a side, note, I took my TT for a spin just to see how the Tundra would tow it. Power is not as issue, as I can tow as fast as I want to go - truck in tow haul mode really moves! Back end sagged a bit more than I would like (especially since this was unloaded) thus getting the airbags and the 4ply Michelins are junk. Way to light and squishy - no way I would ever tow with these. Everything else was great. Trailer didn't push me around, truck drove easy, and I was able to clear some big grades with power to spare. With the bags and 10 ply tires, I will be ready to go with confidence!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The air bags are awesome. There’s a lot of weight on my rear suspension in this pic, the bed has probably 20 gallons of gas in addition to the Honda and that’s a 27’ TT hooked to it. Nice and level.

Tundra Loaded

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If you plan to drive the truck for a long time I would think very hard about an ARB locker in the rear, If I had it to do over mine would be wearing one now. thats the only real gripe I have had with my Tundra in the last 130,000 miles, the factory traction control sucks, why Toyota refuses to offer an electric locker still puzzles me.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Here are some pics of the after done on my tundra. 2" front level with Bilstiens, air lift bags with on board compressor and wireless remote, LT275/70/18 BFG'S. Came out exactly how I had it pictured. Feels like a truck now (no more squishy p rated michelins) and even though it was only 2", the front stance really looks higher and better. The bags are awesome and will make sure I have a nice level ride when I have 8-900 pounds of tounge from our TT.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks good, I’ve always said that’s how they should come from the factory!

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,543
Posts18,453,223
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.