Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Before anyone gets too worked up, searches didn’t do what I needed.
I thought I was doing another 6.5 (probably creedmoor), but I have a fondness for 7s and the 7-08, and then for comparisons on what does what, the 308 and 270 are considerations, as well...even if I haven’t been a big 270 fan. Trying to gauge pros/cons of a GP hunting rifle with these vs Utility, weight, recoil, ease of feeding and extra shooting...where I need to be. Only one I haven’t hunted and killed with is the creedmoor....range only in a heavier gun. Pleasant to shoot. I’m just second guessing because I like the 7-08 and the numbers on a 270, and the availability and heavies you can get with the 308....but I like lighter guns to carry and heavier guns to shoot. Where’s my compromise? Heck, there’s 280 as well. I’m just waffling on what the next rifle should be chambered in and weigh vs recoil and effectiveness. Not sure the 6.5 is gonna give me anything a 708 won’t, including recoil with similar bullets. I won’t do more than range play past 400, 90% of the time with this one. I also won’t be climbing mountains or traveling more than a couple of miles carrying it, either. It does need to balance and not be a bench log, though. Just bored again, I guess. Would welcome insights without any pissing match over them. I don’t have that much loyalty to a given cartridge. I just want the best package I can enjoy and not get bored, frustrated, or beat up with.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 7mm-08 excites me more than any of the others.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
7-08

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son bought a Bergara rifle and has a heck of a coupon for a second Bergara from that same dealer that he wants me to use. But what I want is a 7mm-08 and they don't offer them except in their custom line and I'm not paying that. But I can't get excited about their offerings.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
7-08

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
7-08 would do it all for you, in a 6.5 or 7 pound bare rifle.

Myself, I prefer the 308, just because.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have been recoil sensitive since I was a 14 year old skinny kid shooting a 30-06 Remington pump, with a metal butt plate and 180 grain bullets. It bruised my shoulder and caused my ears to ring for a month. I still believe that the tinnitus I have today started back then. So, I do prefer to shoot rifles that light recoiling, and over the years have come to settle on cartridges that are easy on the shoulder. I have arthritis in my shooting shoulder, and that is a major concern for me.

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor, a 7-08, 7X57, 270, and 308. This is my first year shooting the CM and I'm very impressed, as far as accuracy and the light recoil. It's a Howa, which is of course a little heavier than most rifles are, and that may have something to do with it. I've never been able to warm up to the 7-08. It's a very good round, and may be the most versatile of the lot. I like the 7X57, but mostly for nostalgia sake. The 308 is also a nice choice, and probably deserves to me used more than I use it.

That leaves the 270. It was what I call my first "real" deer rifle, and I've killed a bunch of deer with it. As far as a cartridge strictly for deer, it may the best there is. It does have more recoil than I like when used in a lightweight rifle, and that's one reason I rarely use mine much anymore. But, as far as all the cartridges mentioned, the 270 is probably the best of the lot, as far as it's use for hunting. I say that, even though mine has taken a back seat to the 243 and the 6.5 Ceedmoor.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
7-08

Ed

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The most important question is what you are going to hunt and where. You allude to not climbing mountains or going more than a couple of miles, but no mention of game.

In general, for what you have spoken of in general terms, I believe I would get a good .270 or 30-06 and call it good. Either in an 8 1/2# scoped rifle would be pleasant to shoot and effective. I’d probably not want to shoot a brown bear with either, but I surmise this would not be on your agenda.

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by GF1
You allude to not climbing mountains or going more than a couple of miles, but no mention of game.

Nor does he mention hand loading vs. factory ammo. That would sort a few things out, too.

7-08 offers a lot of versatility & killing power, without a lot of recoil or muzzle blast. If we were able to use the transitive property to add the 7x57's laurels to the 7-08, it would run away with the market. Alas, Bell didn't schlep no 7mm-08...

I could also see the .308 as an equal contender. My own preference is to have one shooting at .300 Savage levels. That's probably an acknowledgment that I prefer less recoil & muzzle blast than a full-blooded .308 round.

Depending on how you look at it, you can't lose among your stated choices. Then again, maybe you can't win? Toss a coin & rock on. It's all for fun, anyway, no?

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Flat trajectory , reasonable recoil, 6.5. I have several 6.5's in 260 Rem, 6.5x55, 6.5-06, 264Mag .For over 120years the 6.5 in various forms has been taking every size of game on the planet.
I use mine to take large muley's & elk every season. No problem. Now with the extreme durability of the homogeneous copper bullets like the Barnes TSX the 6.5's are even better. I see that Hornady list their 6.5 CM factory load loaded with the 120gr GMX & they state it suitable for game up to 1500Lbs. In Scandinavia the 6.5x55 has been taking moose reliably since it came out at the turn of the 19th century. When you read the history of the 6.5 & it's accomplishments you get a perspective based on in the field results & not emotion. Read the exploits of W.D.M. Bell "Karamojo Bell". How he took numerous elephants & over 400 head of every size of African plains game with the diminutive 6.5MS driving a 160 gr bullet at barely 2300PFS. He averaged 1 1/2 shots per animal. That means many were taken with one shot. Read the history of the 6.5 & understand its ability.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Short Action = 7-08
Long Action = 6.5-06 or 280

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any insight into the best 7-08 round for deer and elk? Factory or handload?

I just fell into a deal on a 7-08 Rem stainless model 7.

Last edited by David_Walter; 01/21/18.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
.308 Winchester. I'm primarily a deer hunter with a cow elk when I can draw a tag. It can be loaded down to .30-30 or .300 Savage performance levels and is plenty of cartridge for any of the above out to 300 yards which is my limit provided I have a rock solid rest.

"The only two things in life that make it worth livin'
Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women"
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You can get a pretty light 270 and recoil is not that uncomfortable. You can also get plenty of factory loads holding premium bullets for it. Of the three for me it would be a 270 and I already have 2.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by David_Walter

And into Pandora's box we go... grin

Contender bullets:
120 NBT
140 NBT
140 NAB
140 NPT
150 NPT
140 Etip
150 Etip
120 TTSX
140 TTSX
150 TTSX
139 IL
154 IL
156 Norma Oryx
(yadda)^3

In reality, whatever shoots best in your rifle. 7-08's don't push bullets to warp speed, so pick something that the mfgr claims will still open when it gets to the velocity at the longest distane you'll be shooting. IOW, lots of cup + cores will work fine, but so will the premiums.

FC

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 01/21/18.

- Mrs. FC
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

For dual purpose premium factory loads, the Nosler 140gr. Accubond would be my choice. Non premium, I'd go Fed Fusions or Hornady Interlocks. Hand load choices are aplenty, FC pretty much covered it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
270 or 308 for me-tough to narrow it down to just one. laugh

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As much as I love the 270... My M7 stainless with an edge in 7-08 is as close to perfection as I have found yet. Very nice to carry... very comfortable to shoot and even easier to load for.... Just fill it with r15, 4064, Varget or damn near whatever is on hand and top it with a 120 nbt and go kill schit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don’t think there is a bad choice out of those you are considering. I’m a 270 Winchester fan but could see the benefits of a short action if you were so inclined.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 444Matt
I don’t think there is a bad choice out of those you are considering. I’m a 270 Winchester fan but could see the benefits of a short action if you were so inclined.

Hard not to choose the 270Win (my favorite), but it's hard to beat a 7-08 in a light rifle for most anything in NA.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like you want a 7mm-08 the most from reading your post so that's the one I think you should go with. There really isn't enough difference between the rounds you are looking at so you might as well go with the one you really like.

Gerry.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by gerry35
Sounds like you want a 7mm-08 the most from reading your post so that's the one I think you should go with. There really isn't enough difference between the rounds you are looking at so you might as well go with the one you really like.

This ^^^^ ... For elk size game on down, pick the one you like best and go hunt. You only gotta please yourself...

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
.308 IMHO.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I think the 6.5CM offers the most performance for the least recoil. Factory ammo is available, but not as widely as the .308 or .270. If you want to be able to buy ammo anywhere, I’d go with the .308, which is a great cartridge too. Up to 600 yards or so, you’ll not notice a significant difference between the CM and the .308. Same with the .270.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
7-08

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
H H

Amongst those you list I don't feel there is a BAD one.

My preferenceS are 270, or 7-08.

I've HAD a Tikka T 3 Lite SS 270 since 10-2003. NOT ONE single solitary problem. The new T 3X seems as good or better, but don't know from experience.

The T 3 Lite is NOT a super light but it AIN'T heavy either. I like the D M but some don't.

I'd agree with WHOMEVER said, pick the RIFLE you like over the cartridge.

That said a Tikka T 3 Lite in whichever cartridge you prefer.

Good Luck in you conquest.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Wow. Good input, all around. I do load, though being able to buy good stuff off the shelf is never a bad thing. I am kinda leaning 708 for a bolt hunting rifle, and I also have a hankering to build a 6.5CM in an AR10 style platform for a ‘toy’. My main hunting uses are deer and hog, with some potential mullet, elk, antelope,....and anything else I can down the road.....but lining up and hunting other stuff might justify more rifles. wink I’m talking stands and eastern still hunting and maybe Texas/Oklahoma hunts, mainly. On the other hand, I have other stuff I hunt with, so I could go way different, but then. Might not carry it out as much. I’m not recoil shy, per se.....I just find it less and less sensible to deal with these days, and definitely less fun at the bench, working on loads or getting trigger time. I kinda figure as 7-08 and 120s to 140s in either the 708 or 6.5. I’m thinking 130-165s in either the 270 or 308 are a bit more noticeable....but probably not much.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
7-08.

Deans

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Oh, and Tikka lites/Superlites are on the short list, along with sako featherweights, maybe a Montana, or Barrett. I’ve had a couple of M7s in 708 and I liked the idea of the M7 much more than using the M7s: they seemed clunky to me and none shot consistently well. Like 700s better.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Assuming same rifle weight and barrel length, the Creedmoor will kick the least and make the least noise, if that's what you're after. And it sounds like that's what you're after.
Also, a 22" barrel will have less blast than a shorter barrel. And all these factors should make a rifle easier to shoot accurately.

I think the 7-08 runs a close second. Except that for me, I have to drive a lot further to buy ammo. And it costs a good bit more.

Of course, the more noise and recoil on one end usually equals more damage on the other end. But I grow tired of shooting a little quicker with more boom and blast.

Really, you should get two rifles. A .223 to "play with out to 400". And then a Swede to hunt with.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
I liked the idea of the M7 much more than using the M7s: they seemed clunky to me and none shot consistently well. Like 700s better.

Very well put, IMO.

I never could understand why a 700 Mtn felt so much better to me than a M7, but there was just no comparison.

From your list, I'd be sorely tempted by the Montana.

FC

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7mm-08

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If said rifle is a Tikka, then the differences in those chambering boils down to the warm and fuzzy you get when you open a box of ammo and how well you shoot.

The rest won't matter.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oh, and Tikka lites/Superlites are on the short list, along with sako featherweights, maybe a Montana, or Barrett. I’ve had a couple of M7s in 708 and I liked the idea of the M7 much more than using the M7s: they seemed clunky to me and none shot consistently well. Like 700s better.

That's my feeling & opinion too.

I've also read here on the fire that the main problem with the M 7 is the factory stock. 'They' say an aftermarket stock makes them feel better. I don't doubt that. How could they feel worse?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
A better stock could cure the feel, but curing the bolt wobble feel, and noodle barrel, not so much.

I don’t have to have the lightest or shortest rig, but it needs to shoot, balance, and feel ‘right’ and not end up 8.5-9# loaded up, with Talleys, and a decent scope. There’s a point where it’s too light for me to shoot well or enjoy it much. Where that is depends on stock and barrel, and my shooting, I guess.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 01/21/18.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Hey !

I’m in your camp too. BTW you are right !! laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Find a rifle YOU like in 270 or 7-08 and go forth and shoot/hunt the heck out of it.

If it is a LA, 270.
SA, 7-08

Arcus Venator
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
7mm 08

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
i have an M700 CDL in 280, and several buddies don't like shooting it. They don't like the recoil. They don't mind the 7x57 in the Ruger Mk II. Since you like 7s, I'd recommend a 7mm08 and calculate the weight of the rifle against the charge to deliver no more than 15 ftlb of felt recoil. You can do that with a 7lb rifle and a 7mm08 launching 140s at 2800 fps using 47 grains of powder

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
270 for me based only on the fact that I have owned one longer and have a higher confidence level with it. In other words,based on feelings rather than numbers and logic. logically,any would work just about as well.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have all of them, you can’t make a bad choice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have rifles in all these calibers but 6.5 Creedmoor. Actually the 7MM-08 is my son's but I have shot it a lot. I've really tried to fall in love with the .308 without success. My go-to deer rifle remains a .270 Winchester. To me, it is about the package, not the caliber necessarily. My particular .270 started out life as a Remington Sportsman 78, which was their bargain line. I bought it at a pawn shop when I was a poor starving college student. I've had the action smoothed, trigger adjusted to 4 lb. and added a nice walnut stock. It prints sub-MOA groups with cheap bullets, is light enough to carry easy, and kills deer like lightning at extended ranges. It fell out of a scabbard once, and a buddy accidentally drove over the buttstock once so it isn't a safe queen.

[Linked Image]

I'm sure an identical .280 or .30-06 would be just as useful, although they have marginally more recoil and aren't quite as flat. There is a reason that the .270 is such a popular hunting round. If I was looking for a target rifle, the 6..5 would be a strong contender.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
While discussing calibers, I have noticed blast and different recoil on 270s vs say 308 or 708. Also, what/how much difference or pro/con on stocks w/BC vs McMillan vs Manners vs ????

I figure any recoil and blast differences can mitigate w/stocks and barrel length....which gave to be weighed against cost and length, etc?

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 01/22/18.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Non of those have much recoil, unless you are injured.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From game to shooting games, tikka t3x ctr in 6.5 creed.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
You know, it’s never the first 10 shots that get me. It’s the last 10-50, at least with most LA stuff and my >7mm stuff. My light 356/358s accumulate quickly. LOL

Then again, a 243 with a short barrel starts giving me a headache from blast after a while, so blast is just as big of an issue in a hunting gun, when doing extended shooting....IME.

Again, not that I’m recoil ‘shy’, just recoil sensible. I like to shoot what I hunt, as much as is possible/practical...but I’ve never burned out a barrel on one of my hunting centerfires. My Tactical/range guns are a different story, but more because I don’t give them a chance sometimes. LOL

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If those 4 were the only ones on the list I'd take the 270 as a 1st choice with the 7-08 being so close that it really doesn't matter.
I have used the 270 for many years now, and I have never seen any reason to criticize it. From Jack rabbits to domestic cattle and horses, everything I have ever shot with a 270 using a good bullet has hit the ground, either instantly or very soon after the shot.

The 7-08 is so close that there would be no difference at all again if good bullets are used. I am sure they are neck and neck. I choose the 270 because I don't have any short actions that float my boat the way the standard and long actions do.

I also have a LOT of experience with the 308. Nothing to complain about, but over 40 years has shown me that the dramatic kills of the 270 are just a bit more noticeable then they have been with the 308. So I would put the 308 in a close 3rd place.

My favorite 6.5 of all is (and probably will remain) the 6.5 Swede. I think VERY highly of the guns and the cartridge. But out of the 4 listed I rank it last just because of the fact I prefer the faster speeds of the 7 and 270 with 150 and 160 grain bullets. But if I were given a 6.5X55 and unlimited ammo of my own choosing, I am sure I'd do just fine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Esox357
From game to shooting games, tikka t3x ctr in 6.5 creed.

I'd like that action in aT3 stock.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7mm-08

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I like everything about the 7mm08 but the name. I hate saying it. Why couldn't it be called a 284 Remington or something without the mm in it? And it is really not a 7mm oh 8. It's a 7mm zero eight. "Oh" is not a number. Other than that, it's my favorite cartridge.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

No such thing as best anymore!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

All work and essentially do the same thing, but just one; 308. I used to be intrigued by 7-08, but in the real world it is a ballistic twin to 308. Only about 1 ft lb less recoil, and with the best loads the trajectory out to 500 yards are within 1-2", the 7-08 only has about 30 ft lbs more energy at 500. Hand loading is a wash price wise, but the better prices and availability of 308 factory loads just makes it the better option.

If you want to go really long range the 6.5 beats both of them with recoil closer to 243. With the better 140 gr bullets the 6.5 will kill anything a 7-08 or 308 will kill.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
.270!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Serious hair-splitting going on here!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 16bore
Serious hair-splitting going on here!!

My own sense is he wants a 7-08, so that’s what I reccomend. Any of these rounds are interchangeable.

The rifle, and the way the rifle is set up would be more important to me than the chambering...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by szihn

The 7-08 is so close that there would be no difference at all again if good bullets are used. I am sure they are neck and neck. I choose the 270 because I don't have any short actions that float my boat the way the standard and long actions do.

I also have a LOT of experience with the 308. Nothing to complain about, but over 40 years has shown me that the dramatic kills of the 270 are just a bit more noticeable then they have been with the 308. So I would put the 308 in a close 3rd place.

There is NO insult intended here toward anyone.

What SZihn says is WHY I don't have a 308 w. My short list does NOT go to 3 rd. place.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just gotta figure out where the warms and fuzzies are.....

110 TTSX in a 270 at 3,400? Hell yeah.
162 Amax in a 7-08 at 2,750? Hell yeah.
155 Scenars in a 308 at 2,900? Hell yeah.
147 ELD in a 6.5 CM at 2,799? Hell yeah.
130 gr Big Green Meanies in a 270? Hell yeah.

(That's Corlokts for you high rollers)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What the local Walmart sells. I took a perfectly serviceable .308 and made it into a 7mm-08 and while I like it a lot, my factory ammunition cost about doubled and no deer is going to tell any difference.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
There is that. Seems 7-08 used to be more common around here, but the selection is low these days. IF I go with another Tikka, short action or long, Rifle and action are same length/weight, AFAIK. Might as well go 270 as 708 or 308?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwall

That's my feeling & opinion too.

I've also read here on the fire that the main problem with the M 7 is the factory stock. 'They' say an aftermarket stock makes them feel better. I don't doubt that. How could they feel worse?

Jerry

Purchased a M7 stainless the same year Remington chambered the 'new' .260 rem. Figgered it to be the perfect mountain rifle. Just couldn't warm to it. My son used it a while before I sold it. Bought a Tikka T3 8 twist 260 and then a 700 260 when Remington got smart and twisted the 260 right. Love them both, with a bit of a preference to the 700. Just feels good and shoots great. These have become my favorite deer rifles.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
308 gets my vote

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No discernible difference in performance on game between the four.

Pick the one that tickles your fancy based on a criterion important to you. Fastest? Go .270 Win. Least recoil? Go 6.5 Creedmoor. Most available factory ammo? Go .308 Win. Like .284 cal bullets? Go 7mm-08.

Any reason is fine, as these four check almost all the same boxes.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On paper the 7-08 is the best all around cartridge maybe ever...

But I’m partial to it’s bigger brothers .308 or .338 federal

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
I’m generally gonna have 356/358 rifles around, as that’s my weakness. Having said that, the 338 is too much of a little brother, and 308 could be. wink

I guess I’m more trying to talk myself into or out of the 270 or 708 vs recoil and blast, over the 6.5CM. I’d love a 6.5 Swede, but I’d have to load that, for sure. Not a problem until I’m lazy or procrastinate and am out of time. Of course I could just load 300-500 of whatever, and go for a while. Just never know when I’ll get to.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 01/22/18.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What’s the intended game for the rifle?

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Mostly deer and hogs. I hope to throw in different and bigger stuff, and plan on some visits to more rangy places, where I might stretch past 300, if needed. At the moment, leaning more 270 or 708 vs 6.5

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I find it hard to believe there’s any performance reason to choose one, certainly not for deer. Whichever floats your boat and comes in a rifle that suits your intended use.
One performance thought; I had dinner with a couple S. African PHs this weekend and asked about the 6.5 Creedmoor. They have had clients use it, and do so effectively, but indicated it would not be their rifle of choice on larger plains critters. They still prefer heavier, stout bullets from cartridges such as 308 or 7x57. Listening to them and their experiences has me reconsidering a build I’m planning.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Any of them sound great, but I'd choose a .308.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
The heavier bullet options are what has me looking hard at 708 and 270...but I also have 225gr 358 loads that are enough medicine for most any critter I’m liable to hunt. This is more specific to deer/antelope sized stuff.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Before anyone gets too worked up, searches didn’t do what I needed.
I thought I was doing another 6.5 (probably creedmoor), but I have a fondness for 7s and the 7-08, and then for comparisons on what does what, the 308 and 270 are considerations, as well...even if I haven’t been a big 270 fan. Trying to gauge pros/cons of a GP hunting rifle with these vs Utility, weight, recoil, ease of feeding and extra shooting...where I need to be. Only one I haven’t hunted and killed with is the creedmoor....range only in a heavier gun. Pleasant to shoot. I’m just second guessing because I like the 7-08 and the numbers on a 270, and the availability and heavies you can get with the 308....but I like lighter guns to carry and heavier guns to shoot. Where’s my compromise? Heck, there’s 280 as well. I’m just waffling on what the next rifle should be chambered in and weigh vs recoil and effectiveness. Not sure the 6.5 is gonna give me anything a 708 won’t, including recoil with similar bullets. I won’t do more than range play past 400, 90% of the time with this one. I also won’t be climbing mountains or traveling more than a couple of miles carrying it, either. It does need to balance and not be a bench log, though. Just bored again, I guess. Would welcome insights without any pissing match over them. I don’t have that much loyalty to a given cartridge. I just want the best package I can enjoy and not get bored, frustrated, or beat up with.
..........................................Out to 400 yards 90% of the time that you mention, they are all gonna work. If it were me in your position, then the question imo should be. Okay, which one is going to work the best down range in terms of better ballistics; offering better trajectories, less wind drift, better bullet BCs, and has relatively low recoil etc and etc.

Here is a link to an article talking about all the cartridges you mention above and one excellent alternative to all of them. Next on my acquisition list, will be my very first 6.5mm, and it will be this particular 6.5mm. Note the first few sentences.

https://ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/6-5-284-norma-best-short-action-cartridge/

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
That’s great, but we get into the loading conundrum again, and I might as well just get a 6.5-06.... to simplify things.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The problem with math and cartridges is it never takes into account when is really enough. Out to 400 yds as you’ve stated there are countless ways to have ‘enough’ and I’d suggest more is not always really better. For the requirement as you’ve stated, I’d focus on the rifle more than the cartridge. You’ve stated you like 7s. Go 7-08 and pick an action, barrel length and weight and a stock that fits.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

That’s great, but we get into the loading conundrum again, and I might as well just get a 6.5-06.... to simplify things.
.................What loading conundrum does the 6.5/284 have? I have yet to read of any. And I know several who own the round without issues.

Yep! Ballistically, the 6.5/06 is equal to the 6.5/284. But imo, the 6.5/284 might be "inherently" a little more accurate.

Many semi custom and custom rifle manufacturers report that the 6.5/284 is one of their favorite 6.5s.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess I’m more trying to talk myself into or out of the 270 or 708 vs recoil and blast, over the 6.5CM. I’d love a 6.5 Swede, but I’d have to load that, for sure.

HH,

I'm actually a big fan of the 270, the Baby Magnum. Less recoil than it's sister, the 30-06. I've owned a few... pump, bolt, and semiautomatic... but certainly am not an authority on the 270.

I think it really boils down to how far you plan to shoot, and how much practice you are willing to endure to be proficient at that distance. Or how much practice you'd like to do from field positions, especially prone. I know dudes that shoot one round to check zero and then go hunt (but at very limited distances), but others who like to practice with 40 or more rounds from prone in one session.

I can tell you that I am far from recoil shy, but notice that something like a T3 in 270 gets obnoxious after 10 rounds from prone. And have seen some buddies throw in the towel well shy of two boxes of ammo with similar T3 and RAR rifles. Now, this is from field positions and we are doing other drills such as reading wind, etc. These dudes just gave up. They quit and refused to shoot another round. And that was just day one. Forget about shooting the next day. These relatively young, and fit dudes are done shooting, and we haven't even completed the learning activity.

I also think that catching the impact, or miss, is also important. Seems that this is less likely to occur with a light 270 than a similar 6.5mm Creedmoor or 7mm-08, but of course this depends on total rifle weight, load, etc. Just my observation.

That said, I think the 6.5 Creed in something like the RAR doesn't recoil too differently than a 7mm-08. The .308 seems to recoil noticeably more. Not in terms of pain. None are all that painful for one round while sighting in or actual hunting. Rather, it is the skill that it takes to mitigate recoil and hopefully catch the impact for longer shots. Also consider offhand shots at 100, seated at 200 to 300, etc.

I wouldn't rule out the .243 or 6mm Creedmoor. Just my thoughts. Good luck on finding the Grail!

Jason

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
It’s MY particular loading druthers, mentioned earlier in the thread. I can and do load. Sometimes I’d rather spend my time grabbing some off the shelf and shooting, when I don’t have time for both.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Actually good points, and what I suspected. If I want to go put 50-100 or more through it, the 6.5 is probably the lighter kicker. Imnotinto 6mm stuff as much due to my 243s which seem ‘blastier’ under 22” than even my bigger stuff. Yes, they kick less, and maybe it’s something others don’t notice, but it seems to add up as fast as recoil in other guns...to me.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It’s MY particular loading druthers, mentioned earlier in the thread. I can and do load. Sometimes I’d rather spend my time grabbing some off the shelf and shooting, when I don’t have time for both.
..................Gotcha............If my dealer has no 6.5/284 ammo when I get started, then I'll order 100 rounds of ammo on line and then use the brass for reloading. The 6.5/284, while not the most common 6.5, ammo and brass is available. It will take some thinking ahead of time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Imnotinto 6mm stuff as much due to my 243s which seem ‘blastier’ under 22” than even my bigger stuff. Yes, they kick less, and maybe it’s something others don’t notice, but it seems to add up as fast as recoil in other guns...to me.

I hear what you're saying. Perceived recoil is just as much about the blast, as it is about the sensation at the shoulder.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I own seven 270's and two 7-08's. I consider the 7-08 to be a 270 short and does just as well with the lighter bullets, but the 270 pulls away a tad with heavier bullets. I was seriously considering a 270-08 at one time, but the 7-08 won out due to already being a factory round.

The SA vs LA is not a big deal to me as my edge stocked 270 FWT is plenty light enough for me. I found the Kimber 84L in 270 to be too much of a good thing. But I am not a serious mountain/backpack hunter like some here.

Arcus Venator
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
prefer the penetration of a 140g in 6.5x55, really slippery through the wind also. Swede loves 24” barrel or more and my departed Tikka only had 22”. Just seems the 7mm is better suited in a long action ideally 280 Rem. If I could do it again, the Swede on one of those Sako intermediate actions would be the most perfect medium game/ deer rifle/ varminter all in one, waiting on my Swede on a LH Rem 700 action almost 2 years now, should have it next months 👍

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
prefer the penetration of a 140g in 6.5x55, really slippery through the wind also. Swede loves 24” barrel or more and my departed Tikka only had 22”. Just seems the 7mm is better suited in a long action ideally 280 Rem. If I could do it again, the Swede on one of those Sako intermediate actions would be the most perfect medium game/ deer rifle/ varminter all in one, waiting on my Swede on a LH Rem 700 action almost 2 years now, should have it next months 👍

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You have heavies, go lighties....

Seems it's hard to pass on the 6.5 Creed KNOWING that there is stellar ammo on the shelves. But then again, there's pretty good ammo for all of them. Likely the best off the rack for a 270 is 145 ELD and 150 ELD for the 7-08.

So you're back to square one....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Imnotinto 6mm stuff as much due to my 243s which seem ‘blastier’ under 22” than even my bigger stuff. Yes, they kick less, and maybe it’s something others don’t notice, but it seems to add up as fast as recoil in other guns...to me.

I hear what you're saying. Perceived recoil is just as much about the blast, as it is about the sensation at the shoulder.

Own and shoot all four of the above. The 6.5 Creedmoor has noticeably less recoil and muzzle blast than the other three.

It is much closer to the .243 in felt recoil than 7-08, and has less blast than the ,243 in similar length barrels.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Deer and hogs with maybe larger... I'd go Creedmoor and not look back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shoots like a 243 and hits like a 7-08? How is it even a question?? I'd so like a 20" 6.5CM. But I swore off buying rifles....really, I did. No, really. Seriously. Very seriously. Like for real.....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Shoots like a 243 and hits like a 7-08? How is it even a question?? I'd so like a 20" 6.5CM. But I swore off buying rifles....really, I did. No, really. Seriously. Very seriously. Like for real.....

Keep on and you’ll convince yourself......maybe ? ?

Almost like I almost did. grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have short and long-action rifles. I would go with the 7-08, or 6.5 cm, just because I like short-action rifles better. I have shot lots of deer with my .308s, but they are sitting pretty quiet, since I got my .260 and cm. I have never heard anything bad on the 7-08, but have never shot one. Some of the heaviest-recoiling rifles that I have ever shot, were .270s. I am not recoil shy, but just have never had a desire to own one.

Bottom line, pick the rifle that you like and get the caliber that you think will fit your use. No bad choice in the real world.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Hesp
Flat trajectory , reasonable recoil, 6.5. I have several 6.5's in 260 Rem, 6.5x55, 6.5-06, 264Mag .For over 120years the 6.5 in various forms has been taking every size of game on the planet.
I use mine to take large muley's & elk every season. No problem. Now with the extreme durability of the homogeneous copper bullets like the Barnes TSX the 6.5's are even better. I see that Hornady list their 6.5 CM factory load loaded with the 120gr GMX & they state it suitable for game up to 1500Lbs. In Scandinavia the 6.5x55 has been taking moose reliably since it came out at the turn of the 19th century. When you read the history of the 6.5 & it's accomplishments you get a perspective based on in the field results & not emotion. Read the exploits of W.D.M. Bell "Karamojo Bell". How he took numerous elephants & over 400 head of every size of African plains game with the diminutive 6.5MS driving a 160 gr bullet at barely 2300PFS. He averaged 1 1/2 shots per animal. That means many were taken with one shot. Read the history of the 6.5 & understand its ability.

This! I have two 6.5x55's T3's for go and a Serengeti 6.5x284 for show. All regularly turn in 3 shots in one hole with their preferred loads.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by sbhooper
Some of the heaviest-recoiling rifles that I have ever shot, were .270s. I am not recoil shy, but just have never had a desire to own one.

? ? ?

Come by the house and I'll give you a taste of RECOIL.
just sayin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

When I went with a "lower" recoil GP hunting rifle the .280 Rem was an obvious choice. Among others, I already had a heavy-barrel 6.5-06AI and a .257 Roberts, a 7mm RM and a lot of options in .30 caliber.

Could have gone for a .270 but already had boxes and boxes of 7mm bullets on the shelf. No regrets.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Since I fire way more rounds from the bench than i do hunting, and try to limit hunting shots to 300 yards or so, I picked the 6.5 G. FINALLY something i can shoot off the bench for hours without gtting recoil-fatigue (with the 85 - 100 gr. bullets)), and the 123 - 130 gr. will kill deer etc. just fine out to at least as far as I wnt to shoot.

As my friend Bobby Rowark used to say, "Have enough fun."

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The heavier bullet options are what has me looking hard at 708 and 270...This is more specific to deer/antelope sized stuff.

Then you don't need heavy bullets.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Mike74
The 7mm-08 excites me more than any of the others.

Me too.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In order of best ammo off the shelf, I'd say:

6.5 CM
7-08 and 270 tied...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
308 because it’s the best ever. And if you don’t agree you’re going to hell with the rest of your liberal voting democratic illegal immigrant friends.

MM

MAGA!!

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
As has been advised: I really don’t need a 308 to kill deer, or the added bullet weight/recoil of common OTC stuff, and I have a 358....which is more efficient, anyway.....at least that’s my current argument. I do already have at least one 308, and will likely build another, on a semi platform....along with possibly a semi 6.5 upper to swap out. Which (when I can), is also an argument against (or for) the 6.5cm in my next hunting bolt gun....if that all makes sense?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
As has been advised: I really don’t need a 308 to kill deer,

My first hunting rifle at age 17 was a Remington 700 in 308. After two or three seasons I departed from the 308 & tinkered with many other chamberings since then & have recently returned to my teenage love of the 308 WInchester. I have purchased 5 of them in the last 8 months. Can hardly wait to go hunt with them.

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
Deer and hogs with maybe larger... I'd go Creedmoor and not look back.

Yep, with the 7mm-08 in a close second place. Either one is a great pick, and I'd go with a standard sporter I liked and cut it to 21" or so. I prefer that to a pencil-contour. Five of my main deer rifles have been to the smith over the years for chop/crown at 20-22", depending on the chambering. Most started at 24".

Now with even more aplomb
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

....if that all makes sense?

HH it ONLY has to make sense to you ! !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guess I'd go 7mm08

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’ve got a Tikka T3 Lite SS in .270 and have been using 150 Partitions for everything. Only changes I’ve made to the gun are lightening the trigger and swapping out the recoil pad for a Limbsaver. Mounted a 2.5-10x42 Monarch and was good to go. The gun is very accurate, light- but not too light, weather resistant, has fairly mild recoil, and has been flawless with regards to reliability. Other than the big bears or African DG, I can’t think of anything I’d hunt that couldn’t be handled well with this combo. Deer, Hogs, Elk, Moose, Antelope, Plains Game, Black Bear- the 150 NP should handle it all. I’ve got a bunch of other rifles, some equally versatile, but can think of none better as an all-rounder that a well set up .270. That would be my vote.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe one of the elders knows, but I think JOC was a fan of 150 NP as all-arounders....

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
.....I think JOC was a fan of 150 NP as all-arounders....

In a .280 grin

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ain't 2 schits 💩💩 of difference between them anyway...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mostly deer and hogs. I hope to throw in different and bigger stuff, and plan on some visits to more rangy places, [/b]where I might stretch past 300, if needed[b]. At the moment, leaning more 270 or 708 vs 6.5

AS most of us concur, ANY of the 3 cartridges you list will do a good job.

Just a little trivia.

In a Tikka the action length is the SAME.

The 270 W has a longer chamber - = more metal removed/larger hole in action. ? maybe less weight ? .277

The 7-08 has a larger bore for the barrel length = larger & longer hole. ? maybe less weight ? .284

The Creed has the smaller CHAMBER & smaller BORE. ? maybe MORE weight than the others ? .264

AGAIN it boils down to minutia. IFn it was me -- I'd pick the rifle and CLOSE MY EYES and choose the cartridge, well I'd choose between the 2 larger bores. (just me)

Good Luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jerry, you know you want a 6.5 Creed as bad as I do....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Well IF you want one AS bad as I do, You WILL NOT be getting one. whistle

grin grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Mostly deer and hogs. I hope to throw in different and bigger stuff, and plan on some visits to more rangy places, [/b]where I might stretch past 300, if needed[b]. At the moment, leaning more 270 or 708 vs 6.5

AS most of us concur, ANY of the 3 cartridges you list will do a good job.

Just a little trivia.

In a Tikka the action length is the SAME.

The 270 W has a longer chamber - = more metal removed/larger hole in action. ? maybe less weight ? .277

The 7-08 has a larger bore for the barrel length = larger & longer hole. ? maybe less weight ? .284

The Creed has the smaller CHAMBER & smaller BORE. ? maybe MORE weight than the others ? .264

AGAIN it boils down to minutia. IFn it was me -- I'd pick the rifle and CLOSE MY EYES and choose the cartridge, well I'd choose between the 2 larger bores. (just me)

Good Luck

Jerry

One other point:

Again, in a Tikka, the 6.5CM has a 24.3" barrel, and the 270 and 7-08 have a 22.4" barrel.

Both of these lengths are working from memory, so may be .1" +/-

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

grin grin

Jerry

I bet you cave before I do. Ha!!!😆

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, and as for barrel length on the Tikkamoor, that sucker gets chopped and the stock tripped for an old skool T3. Or a CTR in a T3. But ain't doing neither....

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Typical window licker. laugh

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's a window licker?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

grin grin

I'll put $ 500.00 on that ! !

ONCE during H School, I came home and Mom had made a fresh Pecan Pie. I ate 2 (two) normal pieces. I got SO SICK I can't describe it.

Literally, It was OVER 20 years before I TASTED another Pecan Pie. >>>> creedxxxx.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What's a window licker?

[Linked Image]

I think his name is Gilbert. laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like me some pecan pie.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even Redheads have their hearts on the left side.

But, I like the basic approach.....

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.243, .257, 6.5 Whatever...

I think everybody oughta have a rifle...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
7-08 - all the others will also work, but since you asked.....

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Let me give you something to ponder:

Since I am buying ANOTHER 7 mm RM........ how likely do you think it is I'll cave ANYTIME soon? GRIN

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

I have short and long-action rifles. I would go with the 7-08, or 6.5 cm, just because I like short-action rifles better. I have shot lots of deer with my .308s, but they are sitting pretty quiet, since I got my .260 and cm. I have never heard anything bad on the 7-08, but have never shot one. Some of the heaviest-recoiling rifles that I have ever shot, were .270s. I am not recoil shy, but just have never had a desire to own one.

Bottom line, pick the rifle that you like and get the caliber that you think will fit your use. No bad choice in the real world.

If you consider the .270 Winchester a heavy kicking cartridge, then it seems you are indeed recoil shy. It’s a great package in a fairly light rifle, with full power factory loads available and bullets suitable for anything in North America (the 160 grain Nosler Partition is a hammer) and a flat trajectory suitable for antelope in the plains. It would get my vote, hands down.

Last edited by GF1; 01/25/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A .22 LR is "The BEST"

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Now we know.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Let me give you something to ponder:

Since I am buying ANOTHER 7 mm RM........ how likely do you think it is I'll cave ANYTIME soon? GRIN

Jerry

T1x is going to be the deal.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Never saw that coming about a window licker.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you into rim jobs or something?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have several calibers and haven't noticed that if I do my part that one kills more DEAD than the others but I do have one rifle that fits me well, has a nice slender stock and will flat out shoot and it's a 280 Remington CDL. When I hunt fields I carry it topped with a Leupold Boone & Crockett reticle that is spot on out to 500 yds.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have had .270's since 1967. I could not be without one of these, although I do like other chamberings if it had to be just one it would have to be a .270 Win. I almost feel that way about 7RM, 300 WSM

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Why would any self respecting rifle slut have only one of each of the afore-mentioned?

Quien Sabe?

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
7mm/08, 140 grain Nosler Partition. 43 grains of Varget. CCI BR2 primer. Dead creatures of all shapes and sizes. Freezer full.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
.270 Winchester,130 grain Nosler Partitions,60 grains H-4831,CCI 250 Mag primer. Dead critters of all shapes and sizes. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Never saw that coming about a window licker.

Are you into rim jobs or something?

laugh laugh laugh

It was worth the effort. grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by StrayDog
I have had .270's since 1967. I could not be without one of these, although I do like other chamberings if it had to be just one it would have to be a .270 Win. I almost feel that way about 7RM, 300 WSM

Same here, EXCEPT 300 Win Mag.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
43 gr powder vs 60 gr? Not even close. Both are great cartridges, but less powder, blast, recoil is hard to argue with.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
The picture jackass. Just a better ‘explanation’ than I figured to get around here. LOL

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 01/25/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting thread, reminds me of JOC in the 70s in Sports Afield.....all the mental m....

JPro - had a 700 BDL SS long ago, had it chopped from 24 to 21, and another 700V the same. Both shot 2960 with 45/Varget....

I see JOC fans using 130s or 150s, ran several JOC in the past, 150 NBT always looked like an ICBM and did great, tighter groups....the NPT 150 is a killer as well.

I've since looked at the 140 AB in the JOC, like the 7-OUGHT 8, as a great choice. Always felt why handicap BC/SD with a 130 like a 210 vs 225 in 338.

No doubt to 400 it's moot. Anyone running 140s in the JOC? To the 6.5G shooter, look at the 100 TTSX, and 100/120 NBTs.

My longest WT deer was a mere 400 LRF/YD. 6BR/105/2850.........golf ball exit, struggled to go 20 yds. SO.......all the math........most are often overgunned on deer/hogs, and the like, if you can be that..........and when it comes to blast and recoil, I think you can have too much.

Enjoy your flavors fellow hunters. The Journey searching and researching is the fun. Then when you put meat in the crosshairs, its just a formality. All rounds work.

FWIW, my research went like this, 7RM, 243, 7/08, 270, 6.5x55, 6.5-308, 6BR, 260, 7BR, 338-06, 357, 6.5x47, 6.5 CM.............well you get the point. Btw, several of each of those in the past, NEVER lost an animal fairly hit. Always changed scopes, bullets, etc. to learn more......and they all simply worked, when I had them dialed in, knew the limits of the bullets - and placed them accordingly. Whatever you run, learn it, practice like you intend to hunt it, all will be fine.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by bludog
43 gr powder vs 60 gr? Not even close. Both are great cartridges, but less powder, blast, recoil is hard to argue with.

2800 fps or 3100 fps,I'd would go with 3100 fps.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alan took an Elk just under 1K
6.5 CM

Impact velocity, bullet construction, shot placement/angle

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by GF1

If you consider the .270 Winchester a heavy kicking cartridge, then it seems you are indeed recoil shy. It’s a great package in a fairly light rifle, with full power factory loads available and bullets suitable for anything in North America (the 160 grain Nosler Partition is a hammer) and a flat trajectory suitable for antelope in the plains. It would get my vote, hands down.

I am far from recoil shy. I have seen some real hard kickers in .270 and only stated that for someone looking to buy a .270 for the first time. I just stated the facts as I see them. I would not own a .270 anyway, as my 7 mags more than cover what that cartridge will do.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

I can certainly understand that - more power to ya brother (pun intended).

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by GF1

I am far from recoil shy. I have seen some real hard kickers in .270 and only stated that for someone looking to buy a .270 for the first time. I just stated the facts as I see them. I would not own a .270 anyway, as my 7 mags more than cover what that cartridge will do.

Well, I would not own a 7mm Rem Mag as my .270s have their niche covered very well and are lighter to boot. And they kick a bit less. I’ve yet to see what I considered a heavy recoiling .270 (but I’ve only owned eight, starting with my first in 1975). And I’ve owned and shot a bunch of rifles that kicked a lot, and nary a .270 was in that bunch.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GF1

Well, I would not own a 7mm Rem Mag as my .270s have their niche covered very well and are lighter to boot. And they kick a bit less. I’ve yet to see what I considered a heavy recoiling .270 (but I’ve only owned eight, starting with my first in 1975). And I’ve owned and shot a bunch of rifles that kicked a lot, and nary a .270 was in that bunch.

I mostly AGREE with your post.

I have one 7 RM that is lighter than 'some' 270s, and I'm waiting on a Tikka T 3 Lite SS 7 RM to get here. I know you said, " my 270s.....lighter". AFter I got my T 3 Lite SS 270 -- I thot -- it kicked as hard as my 7>>>>NOPE. I shot both the same day back to back.

I can't count the # of 270s I've had & shot that others owned. NONE were heavy kickers.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

I can certainly understand that - more power to ya brother (pun intended).

Thanks! wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by GF1

I mostly AGREE with your post.

I have one 7 RM that is lighter than 'some' 270s, and I'm waiting on a Tikka T 3 Lite SS 7 RM to get here. I know you said, " my 270s.....lighter". AFter I got my T 3 Lite SS 270 -- I thot -- it kicked as hard as my 7>>>>NOPE. I shot both the same day back to back.

I can't count the # of 270s I've had & shot that others owned. NONE were heavy kickers.

Jerry

But they were still .270s! crazy

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Is there a verdict yet?

I'd take a .270 for a stalking type mountain rifle if I were a sheep or goat hunter and wanted the flattest possible trajectory for quick shots that I might not know the exact distance on.

The .308 with 168 TSX's in closer quarters for defense against being ate by a bear or stomped by a moose.
If I was more inclined to be hunting the larger species of big game, which I'm not, then I'd pick a 30-06. And for a secondary rifle(to the Swede or Creed or 243) that I might use on occasion if I was after a giant wild boar I might choose the 30-06, or a 45-70.

The 7-08 for a general purpose medium game rifle.

And the 6.5 Creedmoor if I wanted to spend a lot of time shooting just for fun, but still have an effective medium game rifle. For just one rifle that would get lots of range use, and double as my main hunting rifle, with a good selection of affordable and readily available factory ammo, I think this is hard to beat. But I have a pipsqueak 243 instead, which due to it's higher speed is a little on the loud side and I'd probably rather have a little more recoil and a little less blast.

Now if I wanted to reload a bunch, and have the capability for a little more velocity, and didn't mind possibly a bit heavier and longer gun to get it, then I'd rather have the 6.5x55.
But I'd probably want something a little classy for the Swede like a Sako Bavarian..... or on the slighty cheaper side, a CZ 550 FS even though I believe the Creedmoors more efficient case design makes it a better match for a 20.5" barreled rifle like this.

Last edited by DollarShort; 01/27/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
7-08 or .280

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by StrayDog

Same here, EXCEPT 300 Win Mag.

Jerry

There is something really fun about those .300 mags especially like them in Alberta looking down long pipeline cuts through the heavy forest. But I'm in love with the .270 giving a little pop on the shoulder and meat in the freezer, it's a true classic and probably always will be.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

If you loaded the 270 down to the 2800 fps level you would notice a reduction in pressure, blast and recoil. Less is however not more.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by 340boy
270 or 308 for me-tough to narrow it down to just one. laugh

Like old Elmer always said`` 270 makes a good groundhog gun". LOL

"the .30-06 is never a mistake"
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Works for me!, 7mm08 is a great little round.

"the .30-06 is never a mistake"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rickt300

If you loaded the 270 down to the 2800 fps level you would notice a reduction in pressure, blast and recoil. Less is however not more.

HEAR ! H E A R !!

LESS is NOT more.

On P 15 you'll find the 'other' HALF of the FIRST quote here.
Elks said, "2800 fps or 3100 fps"

3100 fps is MORE------2800 fps is LESS, and well......less is.....less.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by rickt300

I loaded down the .270 to 2,650 FPS using H-380 and the Hornady 150 gr interlock for a woods load, killed deer just fine It became my favorite load.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a savage 7mm-08 wood stock (heavier rifle) and a savage 16 308 with a syn stock. The 308 is far lighter in recoil. Don't ask me why but the 7mm-08 sucks to shoot. I would say 308 just because its a do all round. Pretty much hunt anything with it with ammo available anywhere at a decent price. You will pay about $10 more per box using 7mm-08

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
280+++

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Heck, I could probably roll a 257/25-06, too....yeah, they don’t have as many good bullets, especially high BC stuff, but all I’ll do past 5-600 would be playing and training, anyway. Any critter I’d shoot would likely be under 400. I used to love the 25-06, but haven’t had one in years.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Where I live, south of Fort Worth factory ammo for the 7-08 and especially the 280 is not as common as some here would have you believe. The internet offers a lot of options but if off the shelf ammo is needed for some reason you would have to look around to get it. The 6.5 Creed, 308 and 270 are pretty common on most shelves and even Walmart carries Creed ammo.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
There’s that.

Picking a rifle firstest, Tikka, Kimber, W70, Barrett, Nosler, Sako....or whatever, and why? I don’t need a featherweight, as I doubt I’m gonna backpack hunt in the Rockies much. However, I can tend to cover some ground in some nasty hills on occasion, and heavy is out. More fun to shoot would be a higher priority than being under 6# all up. Ideas there appreciated.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After 30 years of killing all kinds of stuff from grouse to moose with same old howa 1500 30-06, I just picked a Tikka t3 ss in 7mm-08. For deer/elk combo under 500 yds I couldn’t see needing anymore gun. I’m going to try some eld x in 150 or 162 grain as soon as the scope arrives.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Damn, the 7 08 is popular. Im glass bedding mine right now. Seems to be a good little round..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
When I let the ideas run away...I’m thinking along the 7-08 and up to 162s in a Tikka or other LA, as well. The other thought is a 270 with slick heavies, but twist becomes an issue. It’s not that I need the beyond 500, but it’s there. I like the concept of efficiency and not having to milk every FPS out of something, and still have a bullet that’ll work short or long. Might be hard to overlook s 280 for the same reasons.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It only matters as much as you think it does.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Damn, the 7 08 is popular. Im glass bedding mine right now. Seems to be a good little round..

Sure it is ! There is a 7-08 IN every 270 W. whistle
laugh laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
And a 270 in every 280 laugh

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The 30-06 based cartridges are overkill for the vast majority of NA big game hunters. Yes they work, very well, but the 308 based cartridges also work, just as well, for almost any type of hunting most of us will ever do. I like simple and efficient.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
They all work fine in the field. 308 Win is by far most versatile with ability to tailor 125 grain loads at 3,300 fps through 200 grain loads at 2,450 fps. That’ versatility is hard to beat in the field.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
And a 270 in every 280 laugh

Now hold on here just a doggone minute !! shocked
You’re not suppose to say that ! grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I got a T3X Compact Lite for my daughter in 7-08. So far using H4895 with 120 BTs at 2550 for reduced recoil it is very accurate. Can’t wait to try some full speed stuff.

Looking forward to seeing how yours works.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
6.5 creed for what your describing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 30-06 based cartridges are overkill for the vast majority of NA big game hunters. Yes they work, very well, but the 308 based cartridges also work, just as well, for almost any type of hunting most of us will ever do. I like simple and efficient.

The problem with your statement is summarized in the phases "the vast majority" and "most of us". If I had to choose one keeper between any .308 (I have two) and a .30-06 (I have four) or my .300WM, I'd take the .30-06 or .300WM in a heartbeat. Do .308's work "most of the time"? Yes, and i've often written that most every animal I've taken could have been taken equally well with a .308. At the same time I have multiple elk kills in the 400-500 yard range where a .308 would "probably" work. For those I'm glad I had something "more".

In a real-world example, we load a 150g BT for my daughter's 22" .308 Win and my 22" .30-06 rifles. Velocities are 2765fps for the .308 Win and 2975 for the .30-06. At 8000 feet above sea level, that gives the .30-06 a 125 yard advantage in retained velocity and energy. At 400 yards the .30-06 has 18% more energy than the .308, with 4" less drop. The difference is not as great as when comparing a .308 to a .300 WM but it isn't insignificant, either.

Consider what the .308 load above can do (retained energy and velocity) at 'x' yards, The .30-06 load will have the same velocity and energy at 'x' + 125 yards. I frequently hunt in open sage country where shots can literally be in any direction. For sake of argument, assume the effective range of the .308 is considered to be 400 yards based on retained energy and velocity for the 150g BT. The .30-06 will have the same retained velocity and energy at 525 yards. In terms of the area that could be covered with each, the .30-06 adds over 72% to what the .308 is capable of doing. Note that this 72% advantage holds true for a full circle or any segment thereof.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Coyote,

I would respectfully disagree that there is a 210 fps MV difference between those two cartridges when loaded to similar pressures with 150 gr bullets. Your 308 win, 150 gr BT load at 2765 fps is an anemic load for that cartridge. I've loaded for many years for a 308 win with a 23" barrel and could safely and easily obtain velocities over 2900 fps using 150 gr bullets with a variety of powders. Hodgdon, Alliant, Nosler, Barnes all have listed velocities that exceed your handloaded 30-06 velocity. Just speaking with the facts.

I'm not disputing the 30-06 when loaded warm can beat the 308 when loaded warm. But the 308 when loaded warm is equal to factory 30-06 loads easily, and is all the "vast majority" of hunters will ever practically need. If you feel you need more, I fully understand why you feel that way. But I don't believe your facts as presented are valid to support your argument.

Good hunting brother.

bludog

ps - and good on you for getting your daughter into the woods and into humting.

Last edited by bludog; 03/17/18.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
6.5x55 or a 30/06 and a 8x57, either one will do what you need done

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It only matters as much as you think it does.

Ain't it the truth!

I've had few .308s, and a few .270s. I have kept one .270 and got rid of everything else except a .30/30 and my rat rifles and rimfires. I like my .270, and it kills everything I point it at (so far) with no muss or fuss. I guess I could use factory ammo if I wanted to, but I've got a lot of ammo already loaded, and would probably never have to load for it again. I like the cartridge about as much as I'd like a .30/06, which is heaps and heaps.

If it were me, I'd have a friendly gun counter guy line up a bunch of the rifles I was interested in, and close my eyes, and pick the one that felt best to me, regardless of the chambering. The overlap of your choices assures you that any of them will work just fine.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 49 invisible), 2,212 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,831
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.