Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Godspeed Mr. Selby. After reading [uHorn of the Hunter][/u] it was impossible for me to imagine African hunting without Harry Selby being involved.

My thoughts exactly

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Loved "Horn Of the Hunter" I reread it shortly before my Hunt in Zimbabwe.
My Buffalo hunt was unforgettable.
RIP Mr. Selby... Maybe we can hunt together in the here after.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
RIP Sir

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That was a nice obit. Refreshing to see something from a newspaper that was written honestly, without bias or agenda. I miss that........

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hatari
That was a nice obit. Refreshing to see something from a newspaper that was written honestly, without bias or agenda. I miss that........

+1

Surprising they would write such a balanced, honest and respectful piece.

Cudos to them.

DF

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Pretty sure Joe Coogan wrote the obit.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NYT has obits written on notable people well ahead of time. For example, I'm sure they have one Warren Buffet and Bill Gates and will just update them periodically. They do a good job with them.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Does anyone know how Harry's son Mark died?

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by McCray
Pretty sure Joe Coogan wrote the obit.

I’m not so sure... this bit on the power of the 416 doesn’t sound like anyone with a gun background:

416 Rigby, which can knock down an onrushing bull elephant or Cape buffalo in a thundering instant.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hatari
NYT has obits written on notable people well ahead of time. For example, I'm sure they have one Warren Buffet and Bill Gates and will just update them periodically. They do a good job with them.

The obits are one of the best features of the NYT’s... likely the best of any paper in the country.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Who the elf reads that leftist rag...except leftists.. RIP Mr. Selby.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Spoken like the total DICK you are... only you could spew politics on a condolence thread. Of course, given your little man’s insecurities it’s really no surprise...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Brad, I don’t think Jorge meant it toward Shelby that way. I don’t mean to speak for him but...

A deep breath.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Spoken like the total DICK you are... only you could spew politics on a condolence thread. Of course, given your little man’s insecurities it’s really no surprise...

I suppose the leftist (that you are) comment hit a nerve, then again knowing it pissed off an effete little weasel like you off made my day, but do carry on with your manginitis. As always, with every one of your posts there is always an decision tree to consider:

[Linked Image]

Wipe, then flush...four times....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Brad, I don’t think Jorge meant it toward Shelby that way. I don’t mean to speak for him but...

A deep breath.

Of course I didn't, George, you obviously saw that. The obvious is sometimes tough for some to figure out...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don't understand the sadness, what a man, what a life, every man should stand and have anything but a Coors Lite to such a great man, a man that lived the life that we all only dreamed of !

Here is to Harry Selby the man that we all only hoped to be!

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
When one goes to the conventions (SCI or DSC) speaking for myself, I always tend to compare the Harry Selby type of PH with today's crop. From what I've observed, the likes of Robin Hurt and Tony Sanchez-Arino fit that mold. I'm sure there are others.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don't believe anyone today would admit the failures that Ruark or Selby experienced with the poor quality of bullets that they used,both fully admitted to the poor performance of the loadings that they had. Would any of today's fence hunters ever admit to the poor performance of what they had been given.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jorge and I have many times talked of Selby as the pinnacle of the trade. When you apprentice for Phillip Percival, The Dean, and then get hired by Donald Ker you are an All Star.

I met him 25 years ago at SCI at the Safari South tent. SS always has a camp, not just a booth at SCI. Fred Slater introduced us, and I was too much in awe to much more than "hello".

I watched him sit down with a glass of J&B and talk and tell clients stories, a calm unassuming demeanor. Behind that you could easily see he was the man who BTDT.

Selby, Andrew Holberg, Stan Lawrence-Brown, Bunny Allen. All giants.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I envy you....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
457 members (300jimmy, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 320090T, 257 mag, 49 invisible), 2,185 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,110
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.