24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When the pics below appeared on line in another forum, they caught my interest as I also drive a Jimny.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IIRC its made from stainless steel tube, plus stainless boat fittings..The "boom" can fold forward and lie flat over the vehicle, and again IIRC, its was supposedly strong enough to lift a decent Fallow for gralloching..

I don't recall any further details but I suppose its another solution to the lifting problem..

I never really pursued the idea of a DIY hoist as I realized I was more drawn to the idea of a "gadget" / "project" but didn't actually have any real practical need for such an item.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

A truck bed extender is a good way to make your own. About $69 at Harbor Freight. Just invert the top part and you have a double tree. Easy to add a boat winch or electric and blocks. For heavier use I would reinforce it and add a swivel section for loading.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Not a hoist but a hanging bar for skinning.

Two 1" square tubes bolted to the truck bed through existing holes, one 2x4 and some pipe. Sets up in about 30 seconds or less.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pretty creative, and portable for places with no trees to use for hanging poles. How sturdy is it?

I've never tested it for maximum weight but I think it would hold a gutted elk.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 11/19/13. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter
Not a hoist but a hanging bar for skinning.

Two 1" square tubes bolted to the truck bed through existing holes, one 2x4 and some pipe. Sets up in about 30 seconds or less.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pretty creative, and portable for places with no trees to use for hanging poles. How sturdy is it?

I've never tested it for maximum weight but I think it would hold a gutted elk.

I think you'd have to be careful with a heavy load that was anything other than hanging straight down..

If you wanted to lift a large whitetail for instance and fitted it with a pulley, and then rigged up a winch to the back of the pick-up bed, I suspect the angle of the pull might warrant a bit of extra bracing..

Obviously, thats a deviation from its current intended purpose, for which it looks fine..

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some here had mentioned the "Little Lifter". Here is something similar www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/grip-2-ton-rope-hoist.aspx?a=1537742

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
R Mike -

This one doesn't slip into a receiver box but it could be adapted.

A winch is the cat's meow.

[Linked Image]

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Two stout wimmin. Need a big box tho.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

G
G
If you're still looking for deer hoist recommendations then you could try Catchthemeasy

Personally I have Rage Powersports one for my truck and it's been pretty reliable tbh.

Last edited by geotarget; 01/22/18.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Have a welding shop build you one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 340mag
[Linked Image]
I purchased a similar block and tackle from this company but with 4 wheels in each pulley,sheeve unlike this picture that shows two two wheel pulley sheeves, ,back in the 1970s from a hardware store in Colorado,Ive been looking to buy a second one ever since,its packaging stated it was rated at 1000lbs
does anyone know who currently sells these?
I don,t see the company listed on line
yes I pack it in and use it to lift ELK but the one I own is rated at 1000 lbs and while small its lifted dozens of large elk over the years

WOW

I have that same hoist....bag and all

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
On the back of a Pick-em-up truck

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

the same one mounted on a small trailer.

[Linked Image]

and a link to a ready-made.

https://www.discountramps.com/game-hoist/p/DEER-HOIST-SWIVEL/

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Here is one I built for deer lease

[Linked Image]

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by geotarget
If you're still looking for deer hoist recommendations then you could try Catchthemeasy

Personally I have Rage Powersports one for my truck and it's been pretty reliable tbh.

Yep, that's the one I bought.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I looked at Viking Products last month,from an ad in Hunter magazine, looking for something for hunting the local NF's solo next year at past 70. They got a backpackable hoist rig that fastens to a tree trunk with a chain that looks good to me, and a small frame for gutting a critter on the ground that holds the legs spred and the pelvis up high enough to work on easily. One other item I'll buy asap that lifts a mesh cargo panel of up to 300 lbs as I recall high enough to rotate into the bed of a pickup using a standard hand crank...perfect for critters, bags of corn or furniture or ???

Last Season my 80 year old BinL and me at 73 & both of us in less than average much less in good health. tried to put my 150/160 lb cull buck in the back of his new Kawy double bench ATV only to watch the limp critter slide back on the ground a couple times ...that last tool would have been perfect for that job and saved both our backs.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You would be better off making your own for your specific needs. Most everything I’ve seen from sporting goods stores are junk. Go to a hardware store and pick up what you want as far as pulleys,block and tackle,rope etc then work on a support that fits your needs. Plenty of people out there that will weld something up for you out of their garage or shop.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
I
I
This is the setup we have at my grandparents' to hang our deer for gutting/skinning. My uncle bought it http://huntingfishingplus.com/best-deer-hoist/ and put it up last year after Christmas, so this is the first time we've been able to use it. It's basically an electric wench mounted in the raftors of a sheet metal building. There is a switch mounted on the wall. The beams that it is mounted on have been reinforced. The other part has four hooks and rotates 360°. We can hang five deer at the same time. It's high enough and the dogs can't get to them.
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ckr
[Linked Image]

Had one made by a local weld shop. Problem with the cheapo mass produced ones is that the piece that fits into the reciever is usually too short to allow you to drop the tailgate while in use. Tailgate makes for a handy, in my opinion - necessary, workspace. I left off the winch part because we already have pulleys and gambrels from garage processing set up we can bring along to use. If theres help around we just lift 'em up without pulleys like the pic example. Wish I had pic of seperate pieces. Insert that fits them together is about 14" and has holes evey 2" or so to allow for adjustable height. Downside is it's heavy and cost about $120 to build but it has been very handy.

nice!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image]

Use this to put all kinds of critters on the back of my jeep, pigs, deer, Elk, and all kinds of exotics,works great. it will go up and turn over 180 degrees. Rio7

Last edited by RIO7; 10/09/18.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I use a block and tackle if I’m out in the woods. I built this for both leases I hunt on.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by hanco; 10/09/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have made dozens of gambrels. And the boat crank winch we use to skin and butcher, but I've never yet made a hitch hanger. Some interesting ideas here, keep em coming. wink

Edit: you can't drop the meat with my gambrels. They're made with cable and cinch around the knees.

Last edited by kellory; 10/09/18.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
688 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 222ND, 76 invisible), 2,776 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.