Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I have read on some threads that a rifle reacts differently in a lead sled than on a “free” sandbag rest. What kind of differences, at say, 500-600 yards have you seen shooting from a lead sled vs a free rest set up? I tend to use a lead sled with no weights when sighting in or practicing at long range to avoid the recoil. I know a lot of you are much more experience than I and would love to get experienced feedback about this.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Something of a coincidence, but I "tested" a .308 Winchester on an unweighted lead-sled last month, versus a padded forend rest. This was about an 8-pound rifle, and it shot about 1-1/2" lower off the sled than the forend rest at 100 yards. Did not bother shooting it at longer range.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You likely will have a different poi shooting from a prone position, vs shooting off a bench. If you are lr hunting you may want to consider this. Once I have load development down, I don't shoot off a bench, only prone. That way you and your gun are shooting from the position you will be using while hunting. Just my 2 cents.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use my sled to get close, fine tune with sand bags.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My dad had a lead sled. I didn't see it in his things after he passed, and I never saw him use it. I've never used one. But I have seen POI shifts with shooting position changes. At 300 yds and beyond. I shoot off sticks or a backpack for longer shots in the field, so I do the same when I prep a gun for hunting. I've been hunting areas where shots are generally closer than I used to, so I doubt it matters that much.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I know the OP didn't ask about scope damage and lead sheds, but it's been my experience they can be really hard on scopes with hard recoiling rifles.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Guy on the bench next to me had the wrist snap on a Weatherby Mark 5 (wood stock) a couple years back. Not sure if sled contributed or if the wrist was just ready to let go. Grain through wrist was reasonably straight and showed no signs of previous fracturing or obvious flaws in grain structure.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If its recoil thats an issue I'll put part of a bag of shot between my shoulder and the gun but I just don't like the idea of a sled especially for heavy rifles unless it somehow deals with the recoil instead of abusing the gun.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Not particular to the lead sled, I've found that different forend rests result in different POI and increase in vertical dispersion. You can see it at 100-200yds and longer range is only going to amplify it. A bit depends on the rifle/stock too, but my 700 MR will shoot more than 2MOA higher off of hard shooting sticks than it will off a bag or softer rest. The lead sled with weight or empty is going to modify the recoil cycle from being shoulder held, and affect the POI and/or grouping potential.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It’s all I use, stays on my bench year round. Reminds me, I need a new one...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
+1 on changing POI

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Sure helps when you have 5 or 6 to sight in!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco

Dang how many shots are you taking to sight rifles in....should be no more than 2-3 after a good bore sight right?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
Guy on the bench next to me had the wrist snap on a Weatherby Mark 5 (wood stock) a couple years back. Not sure if sled contributed or if the wrist was just ready to let go. Grain through wrist was reasonably straight and showed no signs of previous fracturing or obvious flaws in grain structure.

That gentleman had to much weight on the sled. That is a common problem with the lead sled in that people figure that 5lbs is good 20 is better. They put so much weight on them that they can move anymore. Recoil has to go somewhere so it finds the weakest spot. On a heavy recoil gun it is the wrist of a stock that loses the battle. I have seen several guns that have broken at that spot.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by super T
I know the OP didn't ask about scope damage and lead sheds, but it's been my experience they can be really hard on scopes with hard recoiling rifles.

I have used one for years on some hard-recoiling rifles. The only way that they will hurt your stock, is if you have it locked to the bench, or too much weight on it. I have to reset mine after every shot. They allow you to shoot a hard-kicker for as long as needed, with no damage to your shoulder. I have shot with it to 530 and have same poi as with sand bags. If it changes for you, it is because you changed your hold on the rifle, not the rest.

I will continue to use mine with all of my rifles and they are absolutely wonderful for getting a kid some good shooting time without building a flinch.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

Dang how many shots are you taking to sight rifles in....should be no more than 2-3 after a good bore sight right?

That's all it takes me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeoFYsBSS3U

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

That's all it takes me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeoFYsBSS3U

Factor in Leupold Leap?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i use a lead sled on bigger catridges to begin with on sight-in ,but to finalize a rifle and scope I just wear a pad and no lead sled.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I have used a lead sled ever since they came out.
Here in Montana I use a 300 win mag and have never had a problem.
I use the lead sled on 223,6.5 Grendel,358 win270,3006/300 win mag,300 weatherby mag and 45/70 and never had a scope slip yet.
I have heard of a scope slipping backwards in the rings but I haven't had a problem.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If the scope slips it'll be forward.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,109
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.