Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I have come by a featherweight that needs a lot of love and was wondering if there's anywhere other than pre-64win to come by parts? They have parts I need, but their prices seem a little stiff, but working on a 60 plus year old rifle won't be cheap. Also, this is my first pre-64 so any sage advice anyone can offer to assist in restoring this rifle to glory would be appreciated.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Agreed Pre-64win's part prices are rather salty. Place an in the classifieds here on the 'Fire, if you don't insist on original parts Wisner's makes some high quality repro parts. E-bay can be another source, however not all parts on there go for realistic prices. In making eBay purchases I only deal with those with 100% feedback and I also watch shipping cost. Good luck in your search.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks gunwizard. I've got a featherweight 30-06 of 1952 vintage. I need to come by an entire firing pin/boltshroud piece to make it viable. I'd like to find a replacement stock as this one has been cut down and had a recoil pad added. I haven't cleaned the barrel but I fear it's pitted and may not shoot well but time will tell. Any of you experienced fellas, is it common for the featherweight floor plate when open to have side to side play or is that indicative to needing a replacement? Entire authenticity isn't paramount as if the barrel won't shoot I may rebarrel it but correct appearing is of benefit.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Last year I was in a similar position as you. Purchased a period correct stock, buttplate w/screws, and rear sight for a 1951 standard model from a gentleman set up at the local gun show.
You might try him. Henry Layher 307-358-9236.

Last edited by byron; 01/22/18.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thank you Byron. I appreciate the help.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Keep your eye on ebay, sometimes the selling prices aren't too bad.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by silverbullet_99
Thanks gunwizard. I've got a featherweight 30-06 of 1952 vintage. I need to come by an entire firing pin/boltshroud piece to make it viable. I'd like to find a replacement stock as this one has been cut down and had a recoil pad added. I haven't cleaned the barrel but I fear it's pitted and may not shoot well but time will tell. Any of you experienced fellas, is it common for the featherweight floor plate when open to have side to side play or is that indicative to needing a replacement? Entire authenticity isn't paramount as if the barrel won't shoot I may rebarrel it but correct appearing is of benefit.

Sounds like the rifle is put together, if not bubba'd as is. Just so you know, the 30-06 fwt made its debut in 1955. There's no way a 1952 receiver would have a fwt barrel on it, unless it's been re-barreled.i pass on bubba'd pre 64s quite often. You can really get screwed if you don't know what you are looking at. I know where a bubba 270 fwt is right now that I can buy for $550.00, but it's obvious it's a put together piece. For a guys "first" pre 64, I'd think you would want to steer clear of rifles like that. You're only asking for headache and heartbreak. You'll end up with a bad taste in your mouth and be the first to bad mouth the pre 64. Buyer beware..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I got my sn' s crossed up. It is a 56 receiver. This rifle has had a hard life so I'm going to try and bring it back to reasonably usable condition.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Sounds like a worthy project. I am always keeping an eye out for one like that myself.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Nothing wrong with bringing one back from the brink, I've done it with Parker shotguns and most recently a Pre 64 M70 7MM carbine,

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You've found a wonderful American made rifle: many think it the best bolt rifle ever produced in this country. Many on here love them: collect them, shoot them and hunt them. However,there is a challenge in doing what you're doing and that is the challenge and expense of finding what you need in terms of parts replacement. I'm in the midst of doing that right now putting together a working rifle and looking for a particular stock that would be simple to find if it were a current model but not with a pre-64. It might become a bit frustrating at times. IF you compare it to the other common bolt rifles, and even the post-64 model 70s, original and/or replacement parts are much tougher to find and often times very expensive. E-bay always has parts, but often they are unreasonably (in my opinion) expensive, even for the small components. There are situations in which it might even be cheaper to purchase a parts rifle where you get most of what you need. This is not meant to discourage you, but just to make you aware of the challenge. There is also probably a bit of hording that occurs, making it even more challenging. One of things I've noticed is the apparent huge variations in cost of the rifles, and parts, from different parts of the country. You'll often see guys on here quote prices of parts and whole guns that to some of us, seem unreasonably low in comparison to what others see. I would say be patient, don't hesitate to get more input from the guys on here, no dumb questions, and have fun.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I appreciate all the help fellas. Don't stop now, school me up so this project is a success.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I wish you luck. Hopefully you can bring it up to snuff with just a few parts. It sounds better now that it's a 56 receiver and not 1952, like you first thought. Now, if you do have to replace that barrel, I'd suggest getting one in excellent condition and having a good Smith do that work. My Smith can change a barrel out and you wouldn't even know it wasn't original. Keep an eye out on eBay, they do have parts and sometimes you'll get lucky and score a good deal. Here's a pretty good barrel for a fwt 30-06.

pre 64 model 70 30-06 fwt barrel

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks BSA. I'll check into that.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,496
Posts18,452,430
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.