Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

I have no idea who makes that BCG.

All of the Aero BCGs that I've seen have had forward assist cuts, and these didn't. So it makes me think the BCG wasn't Aero.

And that's part of the problem; if the BCG was from a name brand, quality manufacturer, Radical would probably be touting that as a selling point.

From what I seen & heard about Radical, they're not what I'd consider a top tier manufacturer ' assembler.

Kinda doubt they are Aero too...........I'm not overly impressed with much of Aero's stuff but I've used their lowers without any issues.

Skimping on lower end guns & parts is pretty much a false economy, IMHO. Not much sense in overpaying if you know what you are doing, but most times you get what you pay for.

MM

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Parts ain't parts.

Name recognition does not mean quality.

I have an AR-15 that needs a BCG right now and I was going to just pick one up a Nickel Boron one from PSA. These are about as cheap as they come but claim to be good quality and I haven't heard anyone complain about them yet. So how would you rate the PSA BCG in the link below?

PSA Nickel Boron BCG

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rost495
The real problem is how do you know.....

I mean you can pay way to much because someones name is on it and know they are backing it up.

Or what are the other options... I just tend to go to a certain dealer when it really matters and they get good stuff, but don't mark it up due to the name like some others do.

You've gotta figure out what names actually charge for quality. It's not really fair to just say that they're charging for their name. Some names are more expensive because they've built a reputation for quality, just like your dealer has made a reputation for the same.

You mean you gotta figure out who charges what they need to. Well I guess they all do. But you know, more for a better part and some for a reputation maybe, or more for a better part but lots more cause I have this "name"

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
So what are some options for solid, quality, correctly assembled bcg’s?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by LSU fan

I'd have Smack build one. The stuff he puts together sure does look great and shoots great, too. I probably should sell most of my AR's and let him build me a couple.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickyD

I'd have Smack build one. The stuff he puts together sure does look great and shoots great, too. I probably should sell most of my AR's and let him build me a couple.

That does absolutely nothing to answer the question.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Look for a Carpenter 158 bolt that’s been HPT and MPI tested, individually. And a 9310 carrier with a gas key that’s actually been staked.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Look for a Carpenter 158 bolt that’s been HPT and MPI tested, individually. And a 9310 carrier with a gas key that’s actually been staked.

I’ll try to remember that

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I like these; Toolcraft LINK Toolcraft builds BCGs for a lot of other retailers & manufacturers.

They meet the proper materials and HPT/MPI standards and don't break the bank. Retail is $110.00 though Cryptic Coatings; LINK

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Here's the specs from PSA:

Caliber: 5.56/.223
Finish: Nickel Boron Coating
Bolt Steel: Milspec Carpenter No. 158
Shot Peened Bolt
High pressure tested
Mag particle inspected
Gas Key Hardened to USGI Specifications
Gas Key Grade 8 Hardened Fasteners
Gas Key Staked Per Mil-Spec
Tool Steel Extractor
Extractor Spring
Extractor O-ring Insert

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me but doesn't mention anything about a 9310 carrier. How big a deal is that??

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn’t trust what they’re saying.

Unless your plan is to just shoot refrigerators at the dump a few times a year, don’t buy a PSA BCG.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll second that comment...............

Also, HPT isn't necessarily a good thing as it can damage an otherwise good bolt; it's a test that likely isn't needed even though the mil-spec calls for it.................doesn't necessarily mean it's best practice.

As far as BCG's go, so far, I've had good luck with BCM, Rubber City Armory (RCA) / Noveske, Rise Armament, Young Mfg. & Knight's Armament. Some guns get more round than others & the 3 KAC's that I have obviously have their proprietary bolts made from neither C158 or 9310.

MM

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Colt and Daniel Defense bolts have never failed me, I have one Stag BCG in a 6.8. Companies that have a good reputation generally spend extra time and money to protect their good name. You could not give me a PSA BCG and there are many more I would not buy under any circumstances.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've never had an issue with any part from White Oak Precision or Armament.

That said I"ve still not lost a bolt lug or had a bad carrier etc.. from some of the cheap folks either.

Granted I don't abuse guns like we used to though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My BCGs are Rock River (.223/5.56), S&W (.300BLK) and Aero (.308). No problems to date, but none see heavy use.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here ya go. $120 for a BCG from a reputable company. Check out the specifications in this link. They don't just say it's "mil-spec", they even list the specs for the firing pin retaining pin. That's what you're looking for.

https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/c...-carpenter-sp-hpt-mpi?variant=3084070593

And these guys are the real deal. When Houston flooded a few months ago they rented helicopters and flew in from San Antonio to start doing rescues. Nobody even knew what they were doing until somebody posted a link for a gofundme to help with fuel.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
But it ain't got no super duper slick coating on it that makes yucky stuff fall off easily...

I'll give em a try!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here ya go. $120 for a BCG from a reputable company. Check out the specifications in this link. They don't just say it's "mil-spec", they even list the specs for the firing pin retaining pin. That's what you're looking for.

https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/c...-carpenter-sp-hpt-mpi?variant=3084070593

And these guys are the real deal. When Houston flooded a few months ago they rented helicopters and flew in from San Antonio to start doing rescues. Nobody even knew what they were doing until somebody posted a link for a gofundme to help with fuel.

Yes, that's a really detailed spec, including all the ASTM standards where they apply so at least they know what specs actually do apply.

Do you know if they manufacture anything or if it's all outsourced? Looks like they carry a lot of branded products..............never did any business with them before but they look like a good source.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Mavrick.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From the pic I'll take a SWAG that the heat treatment was f'd up. I'll also take a SWAG that most if not all manufacturers of BCG's send them off to firms that specialize in heat treatment vs. treating them in house. Hence it comes down to performing QA testing in house of bolts after they come back from the heat treatment to be assured the bolts don't fail. So anybody can make a bolt that will fail, the question is who performs sufficient QA to each batch to make sure they don't.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (5sdad, 673, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 450yukon, 13 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,381
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.