Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Went with a butter knife bolt on my last build. A nice trim rifle (6.5 x 55). Never really been one to worry much about rapid follow up shots, but I have been known to put a cartridge between my off hand fingers when using my single shots.

1Minute
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
You guys are missing the practical side here: if the scope gets knocked loose, the gold on it acts as a set of register lines, so you know it's close enough to zero that you can take that trophy shot without having to fire a test shot, thereby scaring away said trophy.

That’s right. And once you’ve done the scope and rings it just looks silly if you don’t do the rest of the receiver. A nice Luis Vuitton checkering pattern would’ve really finished it off right.

Edit: none of this banter occurs if that rifle doesn’t get posted as demonstration of something more practical than this model 7 for instance (because of the bolt knob?)

Tacticool?

Last edited by 175rltw; 01/21/18.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jwall

If there are, I have not seen nor handled any.
Can you give me an example ?

Jerry

Virtually any finish you can name on a walnut stock can be had with different levels of gloss.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gerry35
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by gerry35
I'm no fan of the tacticool rage by any means but that gun jorge posted up is hideous. I thought about saying you couldn't give me one but I would take it and sell it and buy something practical. Feel the same about the tacticool guns too. I'll take a nice working man's sporter any day..............

I was more impressed with the wood than the knob.

The wood is nice, it's the bling that is over the top lol.

If you go back and actually read what I wrote, that picture was merely to point out the TYPE OF BOLT HANDLE. The wood, engraving, etc was irrelevant and incidental to the bolt issue, that is why I posted two other pictures of a similar rifle. The "bling" as you mention has nothing to do with it. The fact I might like it and a lot here don't is again irrelevant.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
The fact I might like it and a lot here don't is again irrelevant.

Yes but the fact that you didn't strategically place a cigar and a glass of whiskey in the photo is significant, I think.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Remind me to place a tiparillo and a can of Miller Light when I post a rifle with a Tactitool bolt then. Oh yes, along with the manufacturer's logo (or skull and cross bones) on the stock and "Fueld by Hornady" sticker on the barrel. Thanks!

My kind of beer..
[Linked Image]

Beauty and practical:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jorgeI; 01/22/18.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nothing quite like a metal buttplate for practicality. crazy

I suppose the buttplate would be practical if you took it off and used it for scraping hides.

Metal buttplates and muzzle brakes ought to be outlawed.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Nothing quite like a metal buttplate for practicality. crazy

I suppose the buttplate would be practical if you took it off and used it for scraping hides.

Metal buttplates and muzzle brakes ought to be outlawed.

Yeah, he went 1 out of 2 on the butts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
On the "offending butt", right from Mr. Selby: “In my opinion you have not only an exceptionally beautiful rifle there but an entirely practical one as well. In my fifty five years of professional hunting my respect for the .375 H&H cartridge has increased each time I saw it used. In my opinion the greatest cartridge ever developed. I would prefer to see a visiting hunter arrive for his safari with such a rifle than with a double of any caliber. Good luck on your hunt.”.

link (last post at the bottom of page two): Selby's comments

Harry Selby.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mike74
Originally Posted by jwall

[Linked Image]
Jerry

If pimps went hunting......They'd be all over that.

What you doing sittin here.........get your booty out there and make me sum muuney ! !

GRIN

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have said it before, and with my relatively paltry experience in the big game fields of the world, the 375 H&H struck me as the laws of physics coming together in an equisite compromise of efficiency for from small game to very large game.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
They are easier to use from prone. The handles are easier to find and grab when wearing bulky winter gloves. They are easier to manipulate when you are chilled.

They are an option. Some people will not have a need.

This...^^^

Of course there are a lot of "hunters" who seem to more concerned about how something looks, rather than how it functions....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
They are easier to use from prone. The handles are easier to find and grab when wearing bulky winter gloves. They are easier to manipulate when you are chilled.

This...^^^

Of course there are a lot of "hunters" who seem to more concerned about how something looks, rather than how it functions....

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The bolt handles on every one of my conventional bolt-action sporters have functioned properly 100% of the time...and looked good while doing it. Life's too short to hunt with an ugly rifle.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
They're a lot easier to use from prone, while keeping your head down on the stock, looking through the scope, and maintaining your shooting position.

This. I didn't appreciate the one on my Savage 10-PC until I started shooting prone with it. I like to run the bolt while I still have a cheek-weld and a sight picture. The large handle sure makes it easier.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Alright listen up- the 3 on the tree works freaking fine- so all you son of bitchers driving a 4 in the floor or god forbid a 5 Spd or an automatic need to put side those Mario Andretti fantasisies, accept your tiny talleywhackerrs and grow up

Last edited by 175rltw; 01/22/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ll tell you what- while we are on the subject, what’s up with all you over compensating clowns using bolt action repeaters? About time some folks learned a little marksmanship and maybe quit creaming there pants about having a follow up shot and how they’ll use it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey!! Hey buddy- take that godawful freaking “wheel” and hit the road. We like things nice and square around here. Been working really well that way for a long time now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I even kill stuff shooting obsolete cartridges like .264 Win Mag and .280 Remington. I guess the animals around here are too stupid to realize I'm not shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor and my bullets are all low on the BC totem pole. They'd all die a second time of outright embarrassment if they saw the 20th century looks of all my rifles.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

This...^^^

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or some of us have figured out how to have both. But yes, life is too short to hunt with a fugly rifle..

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,746
Posts18,457,750
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.