Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Calvin
Just curious to see the differences to have a home built. It’s running about 150-175sq here in Craig, Ak. 200 if you want high end everything. Not including land and dirt work.

It's close to that in Colorado. Big difference in land costs depending on where in the state. Some water taps are $60k alone.

The hardest people to work for are homeowners acting as their own GC.......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Fellows....in the final analysis....here's something that will maybe blow your mind:

A nice Chevy PU today cost more than it cost me to build my home....and it's got all A#1 interior! Frankly....I don't see how young folks make it today!!

[Linked Image]Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Last edited by Sharpsman; 01/21/18.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
This may be of interest to some of you. Nothing fancy but the price per square foot is substantially lower than what some the others are quoting. Coastal MS area.

http://www.rhinetta.com/plans.html

That's about 80 a square foot, minus land and utilities. A couple years ago you could get one at that price here, but not anymore. Track homes are going at $125. I spent some time at the space coast in ms, working at stennis. Nice people but you can keep the heat and humidity.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C

That's just crazy. Are folks making that much money? I always wondered if a guy had to have a super high income to live in those areas or a pile of cash to put down.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

That's just crazy. Are folks making that much money? I always wondered if a guy had to have a super high income to live in those areas or a pile of cash to put down.

Yes, many are making good money between the two. In relative terms it was stupid expensive when we bought our first house there in 1989. Happy to have left in 1994.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
We just built a 2000 SF heated home with full unfinished basement, all brick and stone, timber,entry, hardwood floors, granite, custom cabinets....not ultra high end but not cheap either. We contracted most everything out but landscaping and some of the flooring. We are sitting on 4 acres in a waterfront subdivision. Ours came in at just under $150/SF excluding cost of the land. Grading and clearing is icluded in that price.I had gotten estimates as high as $190/SF. We built this as our forever home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I moved out of there over 20 years ago, I was not making enough to own a house closer to 60 miles to work and with the traffic that was a long commute each way. When you make $100k and that's considered low income for a family of four, something is wrong.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
No idea of build cost but we are on six acres outside San Antonio in the Hill Country. I would rate the house very high end with 4500 square feet with all but a game room on the first level, an eight burner Viking stove/oven and equivalent, etc. It is built with full 2 x 6 construction including the garage, stone and tile interior and exterior, metal seamed roof, +15' ceilings, a full stone fireplace, an 1800 square foot garage with a distant pool surrounded by native stone. The lots are selling for $150'ish and the home would go for $1M. Back out the previously suggested profit and there you go.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
[quote=slumlord]So which are you Bobmt?

An ass raping overcharging scoundrel of a contractor?

Or a feeble, cant do jack chit for himself pu ssy that has to hire every thing out and overpays for it?

I will get back to you in the morning numb nuts....bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
This may be of interest to some of you. Nothing fancy but the price per square foot is substantially lower than what some the others are quoting. Coastal MS area.

http://www.rhinetta.com/plans.html

That's about 80 a square foot, minus land and utilities. A couple years ago you could get one at that price here, but not anymore. Track homes are going at $125. I spent some time at the space coast in ms, working at stennis. Nice people but you can keep the heat and humidity.

Thankfully I tolerate the heat and humidity well. I'd be crying for 6 months of the year if I lived where you do. I guess we all acclimate. I just bought 10 Acres in MS for $24K. When I retire in 3 years I want to build a 1600-1800 square foot house with a 2 car garage and big covered back porch. The cost of living down here is very good. It makes my limited retirement funds go a little further.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
No idea of build cost but we are on six acres outside San Antonio in the Hill Country. I would rate the house very high end with 4500 square feet with all but a game room on the first level, an eight burner Viking stove/oven and equivalent, etc. It is built with full 2 x 6 construction including the garage, stone and tile interior and exterior, metal seamed roof, +15' ceilings, a full stone fireplace, an 1800 square foot garage with a distant pool surrounded by native stone. The lots are selling for $150'ish and the home would go for $1M. Back out the previously suggested profit and there you go.

Sounds great, when's the Campfire party? I'll bring some shrimp.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Originally Posted by rost495
Hiring cheap, you better be on the job 24/7. The will give you cheap work if not steal you blind.

Its not that hard to sub it yourself IF you trust your subs.

But saying a jackleg is a general, well some are, some aren't. One around here is one heck of a general, IIRC about 175 a foot and you get a quality solid house out of it. They still nail shingles by hammer... they don't have a Mexican working for them that I"ve ever saw, which is neither here nor there.

Now if you want to slap some stuff together for rental that will get torn all up or resell crap to an unsuspecting buyer, I can see a reason to go cheap.

That said last house built in our family, we did almost all the work ourselves except the slab.

BTW why are you putting paper etc... in a toilet, thats what a trash can is for....

You cannot frame for 6 a foot here period.

agree with most of this.......except for the butt wipe part.......bob

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by rem141r
6 bucks a SF is just labor right? no way is that materials, framing, windows, doors, etc.

it has to be just labor.......and it has to be a bang up house....or he charges him self out at 1.25 per hour........bob

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
of course "it depends." One can certainly build here for around $160 sf (I include dirt work in my costs, but not land). The upper end can push $1,000 sf, but that's "rock star" spending.

I'm currently building a 5,200 sf custom that will come in around $363 sf. The one I built before this, same size, came in at $236 sf.

Land costs here are stout relative to the local economy. A 1 acre lot in a decent subdivision starts around $250K and goes north rapidly.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I have 4 framing crews and also general contract 6-10 homes a year.
Framing=$4.00/ft for simple spec type houses up yo $8-$10/ft for really cut up customs.
Complete turnkey home on your lot; starter ranch = $95/ft minimum up to $200/ft for really nice high end custom. Most mid-range homes $125-$150/ft. With hardwood and tile, fiber cement with some brick, 9' walls.
Framing materials, labor, truss, windows and doors should account for roughly, 18-22% of the project for a low to mid level home, at least in our area.
As far as hourly rates, $30 min. For carpentry, concrete, sheetrock etc... Trades like electrical, plumbing and HVAC more like $40/hr. This is in MY area. YMMV if only obviously...... Messican, usually slightly cheaper.

Prices can REALLY vary even in the same area. I charge more to a homeowner than a GC when framing. Partially because it's one job, partially because lack of organization which costs me time.
Lots of guys price things according to how busy they are too.

Most generals in this area are charging/making 12 - 15% on top of cost.
We do as much in house as possible, footers, framing, roofing, trim, siding, etc.... so you make $ on the labor you provide as well as the management portion. Downside is keeping employees and dealing with the B.S. of 17 men that act like drama queens nonstop, plus the high cost of workers comp and all the insurances you have to have, plus keeping tools and equipment for that many jobs at a time.

Seems like the trend now is someone with zero job knowledge and zero time in the field with a bankroll trying to sub everything out and make money for scheduling subs and paying the bills. They last a few years til word gets around and they move on to starting a restaurant, carwash or whatever else.

good info.....my area...50 hour carpenters...electricians 65 to 75......plumbers 85 to 95 .......hvac 85 to 95........never use my own money to build somebody's else's house.....they want it , they can pay for it.......bob

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Brad
of course "it depends." One can certainly build here for around $160 sf (I include dirt work in my costs, but not land). The upper end can push $1,000 sf, but that's "rock star" spending.

I'm currently building a 5,200 sf custom that will come in around $366 sf. The one I built before this, same size, came in at $236 sf.

Land costs here are stout relative to the local economy. A 1 acre lot in a decent subdivision starts around $250K and goes north rapidly.

brad.....Bozeman?....I am in paradise valley,.......this is why my first response to the op was....define high end......last house I built , was about 5,500 sf cost a little over 1.5 millon. like 270 a foot...

I am winding down now , but agreed to frame a house for a long time contractor friend. this house is about 8,000 sf in big sky.....not in the club....projected costs 400 sf......my bid for framing, siding, help set windows and doors and help setting all the steel.....main room has 3 10 inch by 36 inch by 50 feet steel I beams .....that is just a small part of the steel.

I would talk about moment (sp) frames, but I am afraid slumlords head would explode. anyway....40 a sf , not including changes etc......bob
just for labor....no material's, not even nails....

Last edited by BobMt; 01/22/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The large builders can build cookie cutter homes for around $85/sf (their cost) and sell for $125-150sf depending on size. I GC'd my own home about 4 years ago and my cost was about $200/sf. Lowest bid from a contractor was just under $250/sf for what is considered high end around here (all brick and stone exterior, geothermal heat, plaster, custom cabinetry, granite, separate bath/walk in closet for each bedroom, hardwood/stone floors, high ceilings). The finishes are quality but not over the top imported BS that you find in the really fancy places. We kept the size down and focused on quality because this is our 3rd and final home and built on a small farm property that we had been trying to buy for about 10 years. We did the finish carpentry and painting ourselves but subbed out all of the other trades or I'd still be building 4 years later.

------------------------
John
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes Bob, Bozeman. Both houses I mentioned above had moment frames, one quite substantial (3 stories tall). Your $40 sf price is about right for Big Sky IMO given the complexity (that place sucks).

Spent a couple years in Jackson building. Overall quality (local labor and building codes) is so much higher than Big Sky it's crazy, yet we were still able to build 13,000 sf for just under $600 sf... of course that didn't include the 8 million dollar 40 acre lot the house sits on laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Yes Bob, Bozeman. Both houses I mentioned above had moment frames, one quite substantial (3 stories tall). Your $40 sf price is about right for Big Sky IMO given the complexity (that place sucks).

Spent a couple years in Jackson building. Overall quality (local labor and building codes) is so much higher than Big Sky it's crazy, yet we were still able to build 13,000 sf for just under $600 sf... of course that didn't include the 8 million dollar 40 acre lot the house sits on laugh

yea it sucks.....like I said , I am winding it down now.......really hard to find good people to build these kind of houses......bob

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jmh3
The large builders can build cookie cutter homes for around $85/sf (their cost) and sell for $125-150sf depending on size. I GC'd my own home about 4 years ago and my cost was about $200/sf. Lowest bid from a contractor was just under $250/sf for what is considered high end around here (all brick and stone exterior, geothermal heat, plaster, custom cabinetry, granite, separate bath/walk in closet for each bedroom, hardwood/stone floors, high ceilings). The finishes are quality but not over the top imported BS that you find in the really fancy places. We kept the size down and focused on quality because this is our 3rd and final home and built on a small farm property that we had been trying to buy for about 10 years. We did the finish carpentry and painting ourselves but subbed out all of the other trades or I'd still be building 4 years later.

jmh3....that is real world pricing......I am finishing my house now, I am thinking final cost , with me building it, around 225 sf................I feel like I should take a parting shot at slumlord, but I feel sorry for him.

wait a minute.....that was a shot.......bob

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

133 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, Algotguns, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,476 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,570
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.