"Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses"

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Oak, you remind me of a story, true story. A infamous local, that had a habit of mischief, or worse when drunk, rode his horse into a basement bar. The horse was eating popcorn from a bowl on the bar. When Bill was asked to . take his horse out, he refused.
So, they called the law. Sheriff Roger, a horseman himself, looked things over and said, 'We can do this one of two ways Bill, you can lead him out, or I can shoot him, and we will call a rendering truck" Bill lead the horse out.

Roger was GOOD lawman.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can usually pet most of my cows if they haven't been penned and worked lately. I can pet my bull anytime. But, I'm the only one that can. They don't care for people they don't know.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've been told to not mess with a bull's head.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I've been told to not mess with a bull's head.

Agreed

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A heifer calf I like.[Linked Image]

A neighbor of mine says that his first girlfriend broke up with him by kicking him off the bucket he was standing on.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
JAMES!

mch Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Really depends on the bull. I had a bull several years ago that loved being rubbed between the eyes. He would stand at the fence and wait on the school bus every day so that the little girl next door would scratch him between the eyes. Of course, I hand raised him and actually taught him to eat sweet feed out of my hand when he was small. I would have kept him a lot longer than I did but he got much too heavy. He weighed 2700lbs when I sold him.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As a kid, we had a Polled Hereford bull, that was halter broke. We had two herds of cows, about a mile apart, on 2 different farms. Back then, most farmers had a set of cattle racks for their pickups, and hauled their livestock that way. Daddy hated getting his truck dirty, so we would catch the bull, put a halter on him, and lead him twice a year from one farm to the other. I can still see people going down the road and pointing at us.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Richard, I probably asked this before but do you guys keep any heifers for replacements?

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Sam, about ten, or twelve a year. I like that 174 heifer. Years back, we used some heifers bought from Herman Gerbert, Montana cattle. Those are about all moved on now.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Richard, the old cows might be gone but the genetics live on...

We are selling calves next Thursday and need to sort off replacements here sometime in the next day or two.

Wait for a nice afternoon so we don't get in a rush!

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
You look at the heifer, and try to remember all about her dam. Records help.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh yeah, notes.....mental or written........grin

And of course there are few cows that a guy wished would have a heifer calf every year.

Good mommas are worth their weight in gold!

Last edited by SamOlson; 01/22/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the early '60's, the last year of so Dad rented out the farm, the man who rented the place had a very tame Brahman bull. The bull weighed about a ton or more, branded R12, had a nose ring, and was the biggest pet you ever saw. Mr. Rocket would take my 5 yr old sister, put her on the bulls back (no way she could reach around the bull hump), stick his finger in the bull ring and lead him around like a horse. We would see the bull lying in the pasture, go out pet him like a dog, and the bull would just lay there.

Now the bull and cows were trained to come to Mr. Rocket's truck horn. Daily he would come to check on the cows , blow the horn when he got in the pasture, and the cows would come running (he usually fed them at that time also).

One day some surveyors were down in the bottom, surveying for a road and Mr. Rocket drove by. As he passed the house, he could see the cows on the other side of the hill from the surveyors. So, he turned around and as he drove by the bottom, he blew his truck horn.... over the hill came this bull (in the lead, I was told) and about 30 or so cows. They heard the horn and saw people in the bottom, so the race was on. The surveyors saw this big bull and cows charging at them, so they left their equipment and ran for the road. (For you city folks, as a rule, but not always, if you run from cattle, they will chase you..... curiosity is all. If you stop, they will stop). Now the cows got interested in the equipment and naturally knocked it all down and I'm sure some of it got stepped on. The surveyors came to the house to get some help in getting their equipment. Mom told them the cows wouldn't hurt them, go get the equipment. No Way, there's a big bull out there! So Mom sent my 5 yr. old sister to bring the cows up to the house. As the school bus drove past the bottom, we could see 5-6 men standing on the road, my 5 yr. old sister leading a 2000 lb. bull by the nose ring, and all the cows following along in single file, up the trail toward the house.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
[Linked Image]

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JamesJr
A heifer calf I like.[Linked Image]

A neighbor of mine says that his first girlfriend broke up with him by kicking him off the bucket he was standing on.

Which, of course, brings to mind "The Last Picture Show".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 46 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,180
Posts18,465,632
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.