William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Just be clear and not critical, no snakes are poisonous. There are some that are venomous. Poison is ingested, venom is injected. That was how I was taught in the PH academy or PH school in South Africa

I tried to allude to that point above Jim....but didnt expect many would catch it...

semantics and all.... grin

NOT TRUE. Every snake that come thru our yard is poisonous to my wife. Even the dreaded chicken snakes. They will be met by her .410 or the "hoe from hell". Bottom line, they don't survive..

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by stxhunter
not all, mambas and some others have narrow heads.

True. The Elapid family of snakes are potentially the most dangerous land snakes, as well as the sea snakes. The typically have no distinctive neck transition from body to head.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bowmanh
The original photo is probably a reticulated python, common in SE Asia. Not venomous but a constrictor and very large.

The idea that venomous snakes have triangular heads probably originated in North America where most venomous snakes are pit vipers which have triangular heads. Vipers (Europe,Asia & Africa) also have triangular heads and are venomous. But many of the world's venomous snakes are in the cobra family and they generally don't have triangular heads. So that's not a good way to determine if a snake is venomous. Even in the US we have coral snakes which are in the cobra family.

hows that go? red to black, stand back. red to yellow fellowis mellow? haven't heard it in years.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Red next to yellow, stay away from that fellow. Coral snake, or at least the North American version in Florida. I believe there are 3 subspecies in the US.

An elapid, it is very venomous. Docile, but deadly. And, it does not have the triangular head characteristic of the vipers.

Red next to black, he's your friend, Jack.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That one is dead.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Many snakes, insects, etc are poisonous, but are short on an effective delivery system.

Those big constrictors not so much, but they sometimes bite to get that initial grip. They do not always have the most sterile of mouths.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/22/18.

1Minute
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The belly scale pattern from the vent to the tip of the tail is a better indication on wether a snake might be venomous or not than the head or eye pupil shape. But again, the coral snake didn't get that memo...

V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
We always said: "Red and black friend of Jack, red and yellow kill a fellow".

Last edited by victoro; 01/22/18.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
SNAKE!!!!!!!

Bang..bang..bang...bang...bang...bang

...boom...boom...boom

...stomp!...stomp...stomp!!!

Is it venomous...?

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not sure.

so......

Bang..bang..bang...bang...bang...bang

...boom...boom...boom

...stomp!...stomp...stomp!!!

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by stxhunter
not all, mambas and some others have narrow heads.

This^^^. Pit vipers have arrowheads, not coral or mambas or Australian brown killers or cobras, etc.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Look it up yourself Einstein, what turnip did you fall off of?

Grandpa fought Fascists in WWII, Dad fought Communists in Vietnam. - American is meant for the middle.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
deerstalker,

When I was a Boy Scout (LONG, LONG ago) the saying was: Red & yellow, kill a fellow; red & black, friend of Jack.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Just be clear and not critical, no snakes are poisonous. There are some that are venomous. Poison is ingested, venom is injected. That was how I was taught in the PH academy or PH school in South Africa

Yea, if it bites you and you get sick it is venomous. If you bite it and get sick it is poisonous.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Snakes? Relative lightweights.

Having lived around parasitic Tropical flukes that enter your body by burrowing through your skin on contact when you are in the water, that video gives me a case of the willies eek

I hope them kids are alright.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
To All,

IF the States STOPPED listening to the IDIOTS of the so-called "Animal Rights" groups (Animals do NOT have rights, as they are UNABLE to enjoy rights, as HUMANS can.) & TURNED LOOSE the SE Asian hunters to kill/eat the invasive pythons/boas, we would SOON have NO "invasive reptile" problem.
(This is particularly true in FL, where there are several SE Asian ethnic groups who, in their "home country", routinely hunt/eat snakes.)

Fwiw, I once was stationed in a city with a HUGE "feral pigeon problem". = The Vietnamese, Cambodians & Lao people started hunting/eating the pigeons, until the PETA-morons complained. - The council, after PETA's "pitiful whining", passed a local ordinance that firearms & pellet guns couldn't be used to kill pigeons.
(The Asian "pigeon hunters" listened & promptl;y returned to their traditional practice of hunting with crossbows & blowguns/darts & went right on taking/eating the pigeons.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Snakes? Relative lightweights.

Having lived around parasitic Tropical flukes that enter your body by burrowing through your skin on contact when you are in the water, that video gives me a case of the willies eek

I hope them kids are alright.

Those kids could sure squeal and move fast when those skinny snakes were turning on them to bite.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by satx78247
To All,

IF the States STOPPED listening to the IDIOTS of the so-called "Animal Rights" groups (Animals do NOT have rights, as they are UNABLE to enjoy rights, as HUMANS can.) & TURNED LOOSE the SE Asian hunters to kill/eat the invasive pythons/boas, we would SOON have NO "invasive reptile" problem.
(This is particularly true in FL, where there are several SE Asian ethnic groups who, in their "home country", routinely hunt/eat snakes.)

Fwiw, I once was stationed in a city with a HUGE "feral pigeon problem". = The Vietnamese, Cambodians & Lao people started hunting/eating the pigeons, until the PETA-morons complained. - The council, after PETA's "pitiful whining", passed a local ordinance that firearms & pellet guns couldn't be used to kill pigeons.
(The Asian "pigeon hunters" listened & promptl;y returned to their traditional practice of hunting with crossbows & blowguns/darts & went right on taking/eating the pigeons.)

yours, tex

Aren't all rock doves an invasive species? I find that a S&W 77A is a good solution when faced with that problem and the latitude to do something about it. Does anyone really like pigeons?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
S thats what the Asians use condoms for........

Those two were pretty good snake wranglers.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 71 invisible), 3,028 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,337
Posts18,468,690
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.