Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Sitting here by the fire, sipping some good Scotch and being very, very grateful that I'm not out in the blizzard pulling a calf.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Mid March start here in northeast MT.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Start early to mid February.

I'm heading to Nebraska tomorrow afternoon. How are things there now? I am headed to the Thedford area to work.

Montana MOFO
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Tarkio,

Call ahead!!!

I can't speak to the weather in North Central part of the state but the Northeast got pounded. Snow of 10-15" and 40mph winds. It's supposed to warm up tommorow and Wednesday...I'd give it a day or so before I would try the roads in that part of the world.

Good luck and safe travels!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Not calving but have a few nannies that should be dropping kids soon. They were missed in the first cycle so were a little behind the main group.

It's really not hard to know when they are going to drop kids. Simply check the 10 day weather for the coldest, wettest day...and it will be that night.

IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
will start calving the 1st. of march, about done lambing. should have about a months of rest before the calving

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Shudder!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
Tarkio,

Call ahead!!!

I can't speak to the weather in North Central part of the state but the Northeast got pounded. Snow of 10-15" and 40mph winds. It's supposed to warm up tomorrow and Wednesday...I'd give it a day or so before I would try the roads in that part of the world.

Good luck and safe travels!

Got the wife checking all the routes for the best.

Leaving here tomorrow midday and then probably driving a good chunk of the night to get to my job on Wednesday. Client there said snw was expected to stop this am. I am assuming/hoping roads will be decent by tomorrow night.

Montana MOFO
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thedford!

If you're headed to Thedford from the south, I would recommend that you buy food, drink, books, fuel, and anything else that you might need in North Platte, since Thedford is, well, rural. If you're staying at the Roadside Inn bring ear plugs, as the Burlington Northern main line is across the street and passing coal trains are almost an hourly event. I don't know where you can buy breakfast in Thedford and the lunch and dinner options aren't all that good either.

I'd expect RT-83 to be clear by the time you get to North Platte.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We should start about March 1st.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
How was your trip?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
No. Thank God.

First of May.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never was a 'big time' cattleman, but I did grow up on a farm and when I sold out, I had about 45 head all total. Reading these type threads and seeing the pics reminds me of what I did different. I'm not saying my way was any better, just different, and I realize being in the south made a lot of difference.

For instance, I preferred fall calves. Milder winters, bigger calves to sell in the fall, and plenty of hay, made it work better for me. I would put the bull in with the cows around Dec 1st and remove him about March 1st. Any cows/heifers that didn't calve by Dec. 1, meant a little extra Christmas money (only happened a few times). FWIW, I fed plenty of hay and always kept a 3 to 1 cotton seed meal and salt out for free choice feeding.

There was a thread about banding calves the other day. I banded them (my wife did too, when I was working away from home) when they were a day or 2 old, for years. But I got to noticing that those calves had more of a feminine look and didn't bring as good a price. Since I was going to work the cows in the late spring anyway, I started cutting them, at that time, and I liked it better. Call me old fashion, but I always cut calves by-the-moon (plant things by-the-moon, too).

Most of the cattlemen, where I lived, preferred spring calves, and I understand why.

Not implying my way was any better, it's just what worked for me.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Calves are starting to hit the ground now. 14 lives ones in past 2 weeks. Only 30 or more so to go...Hoping the warmer weather holds on for a bit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At the higher elevations of WY and the higher latitudes of Montana we don't often have calves drop before mid March. Sometimes---but relatively rarely.

That would SUCK to be calving right now...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Calves should start dropping here in March during a big snow storm or ice storm.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Weather is hard to guess nine months out. We calve in late April, even that is too early some years.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
That's the one advantage to having not many cows,and being in PA, is that we can bring them into the barn during the nastiest weather if needed..I prefer to leave them outside. A lot less work than carrying calves into barn and having momma on your tail wondering where you're taking her little one

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Got one early one the other day...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine are just starting to come. This is from this morning.[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (007FJ, 1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,659
Posts18,455,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.