Campfire Kahuna
W
Nice looking young cow, and calf.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All mine were bought as bred heifers. This will be their third calf. Put an ear tag on the little sucker this morning, and we had quite a tussle. Never had a day old calf that strong, unless it's me getting old and weak.......which, come to think of it, could be it. I wanted to band him too, but could only find one nut. Since I have to do most of the work myself, I like to band them when they are small.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I say we have an 11 month calving season. That is because most years there will be a 30 day period when no calves are born. A new calf is welcome here anytime. Excepting keeper heifers we sell what is big enough in June and again about October.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Badley; 02/21/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have had a few pop out already. One came yesterday smack dab in the middle of rain, ice, and wind. Momma took it off somewhere. All that was left was the afterbirth the dog puked up.

Jim

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
my family's farm started calving two days ago. Two down and about 105 more to go.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
20 down and 25 or so to go. This rainy,wet, muddy weather isn't doing the little ones much good. A few crapping a little loose. Put in the barn on some dry hay and a little Rx and doing better though..

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We've got 55 heifers to calve this year.

Anyone wanna start night shift here in a couple weeks?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Sam, I feel your pain. I wish you , and your father all the best. But, as Bugs Bunny might say, "This is not the first time this sort of thing has happened to me" (you) You are no stranger to keepin' the eye on the prize.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SamOlson

If I knew a single damned thing about it, I'd be there.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yep.

First was a 2nd calf heifer. Calved one night when it was around -20. She did a great job. Took good care of him. We didn't bring him in or mess with him at all.

Had another calve way early on a very cold night. Was in a small building with some protection. Looks like she bumped her out onto the ice and she froze down. Working on grafting a calf on her right now. Got dang lucky to find a calf this time of year especially with this weather. Grafting is going just so-so. Cow isn't being mean or kicking, just not bonding yet.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

If I was free, no problem. That would be a piece of cake. Fun to boot.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Decided we are going back to mid March calving after this year. I am home more then and we can do a good job with calving.

We just don't have the time to really tend well to our cows. Our cows do it on their own and when weather comes into play, our cows suffer or more correctly the calves suffer.

Montana MOFO
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Richard, most of the time it takes longer to get dressed and drive out to the farm at 2AM than it does to actually check things over. Most of the time anyway....grin

ADPP, nothing to it until there's an 'issue' or two to deal with....!

Originally Posted by Tarkio
Yep.

First was a 2nd calf heifer. Calved one night when it was around -20. She did a great job. Took good care of him. .

Tarkio, what is a 2nd calf heifer?

How long ago was that calf born?

I hate finding newborn calves when it's down under -10F or lower. Takes a week or two to see the damage.

You are right though, if you're calving 10 you might as well be calving 100 because you still gotta get up and check.

And I don't like working at night and all the next day......

Hard to fall back asleep after waking up and going out into the fresh air!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A second calf heifer is a young cow/heifer, that has had her second calf.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I was assuming that but had never heard it phrased that way.

You're only a heifer once in this country....grin

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I have not heard that in years Sam. My parents talked about plowing corn. That meant using a row crow cultivator. I still "pick" corn, that drives son Jake nuts, Every one else combines corn.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I was assuming that but had never heard it phrased that way.

You're only a heifer once in this country....grin

I use it that way because, in my mind, a heifer that had a calf is physically a "cow" then. But they're still not too savvy and pretty susceptible to doing dumb shlt so mentally they're still more like a heifer than a cow.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Thedford!

If you're headed to Thedford from the south, I would recommend that you buy food, drink, books, fuel, and anything else that you might need in North Platte, since Thedford is, well, rural. If you're staying at the Roadside Inn bring ear plugs, as the Burlington Northern main line is across the street and passing coal trains are almost an hourly event. I don't know where you can buy breakfast in Thedford and the lunch and dinner options aren't all that good either.

I'd expect RT-83 to be clear by the time you get to North Platte.

Sorry. I missed this reply last month.

I know all about Thedford. Spent many nights at the Roadside Inn. The RR doesn't bother me in the least. The truck stop has decent morning food. For supper, I can get by with the truck stop food also. Any more though, I try to pack homemade soup with me for evening meals so I don;t have to rely on others

I used to say in Hyannis regularly also. At least there were decent meal options there.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
How was your trip?

Again, i missed this one.

Been long ago enough, I had to pull ut my calendar to figure out which trip this was.

Trip was decent. Roads weren't too bad. It was wintery at the ranch. Lots of snow. Cold enough. But we got through it pretty well.

Montana MOFO
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (007FJ, 222ND, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 68 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,175
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.