Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I have not heard that in years Sam. My parents talked about plowing corn. That meant using a row crow cultivator. I still "pick" corn, that drives son Jake nuts, Every one else combines corn.

Guess I'm showing my age, but I've "plowed" corn, and soybeans too, as well as "plowing" tobacco every year that I grew it, 30 in all. Of course, plowing is cultivating, something that row crop farmers don't do anymore, although many farmers still cultivate their tobacco. People here usually refer to combining as either shelling corn, or cutting beans and wheat.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No calves yet but this afternoon we got the heifers moved out of the feed lot pen and into their new digs.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

Well, that ruins the cow *whisperer* rumor! grin

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
haha

More of a cattle bellower!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
We preg checked our cows yesterday. We wanted to semen test the bulls. The vet was an hour late, then said he did not have time to do the bulls. A couple of steamed off Ioway cow folks!! Another charge for a trip, and chute.$$$$$$

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does your vet bring a chute with him if needed??

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wabigoon
A second calf heifer is a young cow/heifer, that has had her second calf.

I always thought second calf heifer was a dairy term.

Around here there's more than a few retired dairy guys who have beef herds that freshen...grin

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I'll also admit to using the term "second calf heifer".. but that's the former dairy farm boy coming out in me... 2 more calves over the weekend, but at least they waited until after the snowstorm that hit

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
First calf of the year an hour or two ago, right on time a week early!

1 down about 320 to go...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SamOlson; 03/10/18.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good Sam! By the look of that straw, I'll think that calf was moved to it? Here, it's better than nice when the first calf is a healthy live calf.

I notice that barn, with big lean to's on the sides, inside stalls for when you need them?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah Richard I moved the pair from north to south. I'd guess a 60lb bull calf, she was lickin' and he was trying to get up when we left them. I'm home in town but my dad can about see what's going on through the kitchen window so I'm sure the calf nursed or got a bottle. Hell it was a warm 34F and sunshine for the first born and I KNOW that is a good sign!

Single digits tonight and I'm going out to take a look at 2 o'clock.

Boss baptized the calf with some straw.

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Sam, when you do bottle feed a new calf, do you use colostrum? If you do, were do you get it

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Richard, yep when in doubt go with the $13 milkshake.

Actually it was $13.49 a bag when I picked up a box of 12 at the elevator last week.

I think?

Way better deal for the same stuff compared to the fancy new co-op fuel station, they wanted $18.

Always check the exp. date just to make sure it's fresh....

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
What brand is that Sam? Jake bought some frozen colostrum from a local dairy farm late last summer. They say, don't thaw it in a microwave. We, Jake, have the dubious 'pleasure" of tube feeding a calf at times.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Richard white bag, green and yellow label.

"just like mom"

Jesus, now I just went and got Wages all horned up....

Link to the stuff.

https://animalhealthsupply.com/products/just-like-mom-dry-colostrum-350-gm-packet

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Sam,

Pardon my ignorance (I said I didn't know a damned thing about this stuff! blush) But how many times do you have to dose a calf with that colostrum? Is it a "one and done" thing? Do you only have to do it with calves that aren't bonded to a cow and not getting it's mom's milk?

How long do you give the calf to start feeding from the mother before stepping in?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ed, the colostrum is a one time deal and the calf needs it as their first meal or they won't get the proper antibodies. I forget the exact time frame but if they don't get it say within 12 hours of being born they will suffer greatly health-wise. You wanna get it in their system ASAP, within a few hours of birth if possible. After they have the colostrum they can go on regular old milk replacer or better yet the cow.

Most of the time we give it to calves that are born to a 'goofy' heifer that for whatever reason won't let the calf nurse. Or if it's really cold outside and I find a new born calf we'll stick them in the hot box and give them a bottle of colostrum or if need be tube them if they won't suck.

Sometimes we'll find an orphan calf(which is most likely a rejected twin) wandering around down with the old cows in the main herd. They get a bottle of colostrum as well and then you have a bum calf.

You generally know within an hour if the heifer is gonna settle down enough to let the calf nurse. If they are mean and aggressive towards the calf we separate them right off the bat. Then the mother gets the 'treatment'.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Four more on the ground tonight!

Knock on wood the weather has been great.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Liking the sound of that!

Neighbor across the road runs ~150 cow/calf pairs. I saw three new ones on the ground early this morning. Donkeys are sticking pretty close to them, so the coyotes must be somewhere close, too.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mine are hitting the ground pretty regular now too.

I know I have a new one from last night. Mama is still hiding...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

190 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 44automag, 348srfun, 31 invisible), 2,002 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.