Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Bently Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by wtroger
I have a 1902 win 94 in 32 win special same problem. Barrel shot out. In the day to make a shooter out of them they rebored and chambered them to 35-30. I haven't found anybody who will do a reline to 32 special. for one thing no liners. The 32 win special is a .321 bore. In your case a reline would keep the rifle correct to markings and patina.

yeah, that's why I'd rather go with a reline than a re-bore in case it won't shoot acceptably (and that won't have to be that good, 4-6" at 100 yards will do).

Regards,
Ben
BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What's headspace like in it? Being that old and in that condition, its hard life may have loosened it up a bit. That would be the determining factor for whether to alter/re-barrel/use as-is were it mine.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well...the first step is to actually get the bore clean to see what you have there.

30-30s seem especially prone to layers upon layers of buildup over the years...hell centuries, and Foaming Bore Cleaner may not be enough to make a dent in the debris in that bore. An Outers Foul Out is sometimes necessary, or a trip to a gunsmith that can do it at a professional level.

Once you get down to bare metal and know where you stand, you can make your choice of the other options.

I have some guns that aren't ready for prime time, but I wouldn't go to heroic efforts to make them so...they aren't damaging my wallet by sitting there in the safe.

I've owned and worked on rifles with real ugly bores...bores that had been shot with corrosive ammo and left out in the rain or snow or under hay in the barn for decades or buried in mud and left on the battlefield, or whatever, but when they were thoroughly cleaned...no they actually looked worse...but...they shot fine.

The fact that your rifle sends bullets downrange right now without tumbling is a good sign and mostly all a 30-30 really needs to do.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
B
Bently Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Boogaloo
Well...the first step is to actually get the bore clean to see what you have there.

30-30s seem especially prone to layers upon layers of buildup over the years...hell centuries, and Foaming Bore Cleaner may not be enough to make a dent in the debris in that bore. An Outers Foul Out is sometimes necessary, or a trip to a gunsmith that can do it at a professional level.

Once you get down to bare metal and know where you stand, you can make your choice of the other options.

I have some guns that aren't ready for prime time, but I wouldn't go to heroic efforts to make them so...they aren't damaging my wallet by sitting there in the safe.

I've owned and worked on rifles with real ugly bores...bores that had been shot with corrosive ammo and left out in the rain or snow or under hay in the barn for decades or buried in mud and left on the battlefield, or whatever, but when they were thoroughly cleaned...no they actually looked worse...but...they shot fine.

The fact that your rifle sends bullets downrange right now without tumbling is a good sign and mostly all a 30-30 really needs to do.

Originally Posted by gnoahhh
What's headspace like in it? Being that old and in that condition, its hard life may have loosened it up a bit. That would be the determining factor for whether to alter/re-barrel/use as-is were it mine.

The action is well-broken in, but not loose. It's been well-used, for sure.

The cases come out looking good, no smudging, splits, bulges, etc. Was shooting mild to mid-range handloads.

I noticed on Saturday, though, we went shooting, that the primers were protruding a bit. No cratered, no apparent gas leakage when shooting or smudging, though in that area. Rifle shot fine, although at first some cases were sticking in the chamber, as it had a bit too much oil in it. My younger some was worried about it, but after a few rounds it stopped once the chamber dried up. The chamber itself is in good condition. I've read that lower-powered loads can actually case the primer to protrude.

I've looked around, and it looks like protruding primers is a fairly common happening on Model 1894s and Model 94s (the rifle in question being the former), even in rifles with correct-enough headspace, so will leave it for now.

The rifle shot well enough with 130 and 150 grain Speer FP bullets, certainly well enough to kill at deer out to acceptable .30 WCF ranges with open sights. He was hitting deer-vital-sized areas on stumps out to about 150 yards off his knees, and smaller targets offhand out to about 100 yards regularly.

So it looks like so far no need for a reline. I'll take another pass at cleaning again.

I did contact the guy in Omak, WA (Redmond), and he does not do .30 WCF relines on original .30 WCF, says barrel is not thick enough.

My other son has a newer Model 94 (about 1957 or 58), in close to new condition, we shot it yesterday, and it is quite accurate, smacking targets of opportunity out to 200 yards with a mid-range 130 gr FP load with ease, offhand at that. He is looking forward to hunting with it next fall, and will warm up on ground squirrels in April.

Regards,
Ben
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
All's well that ends well as they say. Glad to hear of fun with an iron sighted .30-30 in this day and age when seemingly the minimum gun/sight combo required for having fun is a 6.5 Creed w/ 6-20x 50mm scope or somesuch.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 7887mm08, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,622 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.