Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
AB2506 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.nontypical.org/news/2018/1/15/the-deadly-truth-most-dont-know-about-mountain-lions

UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA STUDY FINDS MOUNTAIN LIONS MAY BE EATING MORE THAN PREVIOUSLY BELIEVED
Mountain lions, the largest members of the cat family in North America, may be heartier eaters than some researchers originally estimated.

“One of the most interesting things we found was how much more prey they kill in summer,” said Kyle Knopff, lead author of a three-year Canadian mountain lion study that was recently published in the Journal of Wildlife Management. “Just how focused they become on young of the year ungulates was surprising.”

mtl1.jpg
GPS aids study

Knopff is basing his conclusions on data collected from more than 1,500 kill sites while tracking 54 cougars with GPS collars. The collars allowed the University of Alberta researchers, including his wife Aliah, to move in quickly after a kill to identify what was taken and by which lion.

In the journal article Knopff writes that some previous studies “may have failed to identify higher kill rates for large carnivores in summer because methods in those studies did not permit researchers to locate many neonates or because sample size was too small.”

The use of GPS collars enabled Knopff and his colleagues to collect more data. As a result, he found that mountain lions killed more deer, elk and moose during the summer by focusing on juveniles and actually killed fewer animals in winter. The information contradicts previous studies conducted in Idaho.

“The Idaho estimates differed from our summer estimates by as much as 365 percent in terms of frequency of killing and 538 percent in terms of prey biomass,” Knopff wrote. “Because kill rate fundamentally influences the effect predators have on their prey, the discrepancy between studies represents a substantial difference in the capacity for cougars to impact ungulates.”

Built to kill

The study was conducted over 10 years in west-central Alberta, including the Bow Valley, Jasper National Park, portions of Banff National Park and in Clearwater County east of Banff. The terrain of the study area was a mixture of lodgepole pine and spruce forests at elevations ranging from 2,500 to 9,300 feet. The mountain lions' prey included deer, elk, bighorn sheep, coyotes, feral horses, beaver and porcupines.

Cougars aren't easy creatures to study. The secretive animals range widely to hunt - 250 to 600 square miles for males, 60 to 125 square miles for females.

Adult male cougars can weigh 140 to 165 pounds. One male cougar in Knopff's study tipped the scales at 180 pounds and primarily fed on moose and feral horses. Females typically weigh around 100 pounds. From nose to tail the big cats can measure 6.5 to 10 feet long. The average lifespan for a male is 8 to 10 years, 12 to 14 for females.

Great leapers and sprinters, cougars kill by latching onto their prey with their front claws and powerful forelegs and then biting the windpipe or spine along the neck with their large canine teeth. For smaller prey, lions may crush the animal's skull. On rare occasions lions have been known to attack humans.

“Our kill rate estimates indicate that adult cougars are highly effective predators, killing at rates at the upper end of those recorded for wolves in both frequency and biomass,” Knopff wrote.

In one prey encounter they studied, Knopff said a cougar brought down a feral horse less than 30 yards from where it attacked.

“I think our study showed they are very efficient predators,” he said.

Because of their adaptability, cougars are found from the Yukon to the Andes of South America, a larger range than any other big mammal in the Americas.

mtl2.jpg
Study findings

In studying cougar kill sites, the researchers publicized a couple of interesting details. One is that that female mountain lions with kittens kill more deer; the other is that adult male lions kill larger but fewer animals.

“We had one male cougar kill 18 moose in less than a year,” Knopff said.

Based on the Canadian data, the cougars killed on average .8 ungulates (mainly whitetail deer and moose) a week, an average of about 18 pounds a day. That statistic varied widely, though, based on the individual - from a low of .24 ungulates to a high of 1.38, or 18 to 41 pounds a day.

Those ungulates targeted tended to be young of the year or adults with yearlings, largely because they were easier to subdue.

Deer made up more than 75 percent of the diet for adult female lions in winter and summer. Adult males had a more varied diet, concentrating on moose (36 percent) in the summer and deer (44 percent) in the winter. All told, adult males targeted large ungulates for 62 percent of their diet. Subadult lions also ate more deer than other species, but like human teenagers they also varied their diet more opportunistically than adults.

On average, adult males killed an estimated 10,300 pounds of biomass annually compared to 9,400 pounds killed by females with young kittens.

Humans vs. cougars

Aliah Knopff said her portion of the study focused more on cougar-human interactions and the lion's habitat selection.

She said that as people have continued to build in more remote areas, cougars have had to adapt.

“These are actually quite adaptable carnivores,” she said, from changing their movements to become more nocturnal and avoid humans, to finding undisturbed islands within development to live in - such as along pipelines or well sites. The same can't be said for many other carnivores.

These more urban lions are mainly limited by human tolerance, she said. The people in rural Alberta who were interviewed for the study valued cougars highly, but not if they were killing pets or livestock.

“That's the challenge for cougar conservation when the backyard is becoming more overlapping,” she said.

Possible uses

Lion hunting is allowed in many Western states, including Montana and Wyoming. Hunters track and tree the big cats with hounds. Cougar kills are carefully regulated by state wildlife agencies.

Knopff writes that the Canadian study could be used by game managers to better calculate mountain lions' take of game animals and in turn reduce lion numbers to benefit deer, elk and moose populations. For example, hunting female cougars could reduce the number of deer taken in a specific area.

But such management can also produce unpredictable outcomes, he added. A lion population that is younger may lead to increased confrontations with humans.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Very interesting. Those kinds of studies have to be expensive, I'd like to see more similar studies to see how the stats hold up.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 01/19/18.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are killing machines. They play hell with the mule deer & elk here in Colorado.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Very interesting. Those kinds of studies have to be expensive, I'd like to see more similar studies to see how the stats hold up.

They are very expensive. A few years ago I participated in a study of cougars in the Cypress Hills area od Alberta. No one knew there were cats there until they were spotted by a local rancher. One thing led to another and there were plenty of reports throughout the Hills with many in the Provincial Park. (Similar to a State Park)
Even with plenty of us volunteering, it cost a small fortune over a 3 year period. End result was approx. 35-45 cats plus kittens in the Cypress Hills! Probably more by now. They are a fascinating creature to say the least.

There are regular sightings of them in Medicine Hat and Redcliff where I live and in many other places too. The vast majority of them in the South Sask River valley as they travel through the area.

We now have cougars all over Southern Alberta, so many in fact that the Province opened a Resident only season, no dogs, no baiting, Strictly a boot leather only hunt. Mostly this is due to the entire region being privately owned. It would impossible to run dogs without trespassing. Spot and stock/predator calling is the way to go. It is a blast, I am still looking to tag my first cat as it is quite the challenge. The occasional cat is taken each season so my time is coming.
Jeff

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Very cool. I’ve always been enamoured by the secrattive nature and solo nature of mountain lions, and they’re killing prowess.... very cool animals....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I don’t have much experience with mountain lions. I went to Idaho in 1985 with a bunch of boys from Wisconsin and we managed to tree one with our bear hounds. We got lucky in that we found a fresh track the first morning in fresh snow. Spent the rest of the week looking for another track but couldn’t find one the dogs could run.
However limited my experience I came to the conclusion that a jumped cat wasn’t that hard to tree but finding a track the dogs could move could be a problem.
After years of the MNR claiming there were no cougars in Northwestern Ontario one was found dead last Spring—with pictures displayed in the local newspapers. It was determined after necropsy that it was a dispersing young male that starved to death. i don’t think we have enough deer locally to sustain a breeding population but we do get some moving thru. It seems every bushman up here has seen several over the years. I haven’t.
I would bet cats are like wolves—open up a season and several will get killed—then they smarten up and all you see will be tracks. I don’t think even hunting over bait will have much effect on the overall population—it doesn’t seem to on bears.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
AB2506;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope all is well in your world today and thanks for the link to the study.

Speaking personally my cougar experience is mostly second hand in that I'm not a dog man, but know/knew a few locals who ran them for cats. We've got some pretty fair sized cougars here in the south Okanagan - which is interesting in that our mulies, whitetail and mountain sheep typically are on the small side of the respective sub-species.

Going back perhaps 20 years now, I recall a conversation with a guide who was chasing a particular big tom which killed 3 adult moose in under two weeks. That number may have been less if they'd not been after it or that was the guide's speculation at the time.

We had a really bad winter in '96 and the cougars killed a bunch of horses on ranches and First Nations reserves from Vernon south.

For all that, though we see bobcats every few years, I've only seen a single cougar in all my time here in the bush. Tracks and kills were more frequent, but they are mobile and elusive creatures for sure.

Thanks again for the link and all the best to you as we head into spring.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Dwayne, just talking to my lynx outfitter, he just killed a stud Tom a couple weeks ago, came in to hunt range horses. He also tells stories of lions killing moose. Pretty damn impressive really

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last year TWRA in Tennessee had to tell the public that there are indeed Mountain lions in Tennessee.

With the growing use of trail cameras, it makes it hard to deny. Sometime a picture is worth more than words.

They are very impressive and on my bucket list. For population control purposes only of course.

I am just your average Joe.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a bit of a hate on for the bazderds spending 20 years in supposedly the world's densest cougar population will do that to some. Final straw our cat wasn't home one morning and the snow told the grizzly tale why, nailed by a cougar about 30 feet from the cat door. This is the north end of Vancouver Island.

The interesting thing there is there isn't much for large prey there. There's no moose there's a pretty sparse Roosevelt Elk population but that's it for large ungulates. Other than that there's Columbia blacktail deer, which aren't that big there. I got to know a few of the Conservation Officers (game wardens) over my time there, not surprisingly they spent a big percentage of their time dealing with human/cougar conflict. They were all convinced that the absolute favorite prey if they could get it was domestic cats, like crack to them. They'd move in to smaller communities of a few hundred people only, clean up all the outside cats and a few dogs over several months then move off if they didn't get shot first. In the wild their diet was mainly deer lots of grouse too. Basically anything that moved that wasn't big enough to defend itself was potential dinner.

Got to see quite a few of them but never during hunting season with a tag in my pocket it seemed. Low percentage without dogs. Probably saw a couple dozen in the time usually a fleeting brown streak. Very last trip moving from there dark and early just at day break I saw mom and three kits about the size of pit bulls cross the road right in front of me all calm as a cucumber as if to flip me one last bird. haha They got a place I hope they're always there but IMO they should all be killed if sniffing around where humans live. Period.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I lost 2 horses to a pair of sub-adults a few years ago. A neighbor lost a lama and a couple of sheep probably due to the same pair a week earlier.

Last edited by Cariboo; 01/22/18.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by troutfly

They are very expensive. A few years ago I participated in a study of cougars in the Cypress Hills area od Alberta. No one knew there were cats there until they were spotted by a local rancher. One thing led to another and there were plenty of reports throughout the Hills with many in the Provincial Park. (Similar to a State Park)
Even with plenty of us volunteering, it cost a small fortune over a 3 year period. End result was approx. 35-45 cats plus kittens in the Cypress Hills! Probably more by now. They are a fascinating creature to say the least.

I worked on a cougar study here in Colorado on the Uncompahgre Plateau in the 1980's. At the time it was the largest lion study ever undertaken.
The researcher did a literature survey of previous lion studies in North America and spoke to most of the researchers. He said every one of the researchers said the same thing:
-Your own agency was going to be surprised by how many cougars he caught,
-The public was going to be surprised by how many cougars he caught.
-Now that the public and sport hunters knew there were that many cougars, they were going to be all up in arms about it.
-Your agency will increase the cougar quota.

And that's exactly what happened.

Spot and stock/predator calling is the way to go. It is a blast, I am still looking to tag my first cat as it is quite the challenge. The occasional cat is taken each season so my time is coming.
Jeff

After the study was over, a buddy, who had worked on the study longer than me, and I decided we weren't going to use hounds and instead call cougars. It was fun. He killed a 150lb tom, all I had ever show up were females with cubs or subadults. We would generally set up about 20 yds apart where we could watch each other's backs. One time after calling with no luck, we got up and checked things out, and there were brand new lion tracks in the snow about 25 yds behind me where my buddy couldn't see.......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I worked on a cougar study here in Colorado on the Uncompahgre Plateau in the 1980's. At the time it was the largest lion study ever undertaken.
The researcher did a literature survey of previous lion studies in North America and spoke to most of the researchers. He said every one of the researchers said the same thing:
-Now that the public and sport hunters knew there were that many cougars, they were going to be all up in arms about it.

Pretty amazing what a good houndsman can teach city college boys.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Seems a fitting thread and time to post this...

Urban Cougar

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by watch4bear

Pretty amazing what a good houndsman can teach city college boys.

The houndsman on the study could trace the bloodlines of his dogs back to his grandfather's pack.

By virtue of experience, being out there for 8 months, 5-7 days a week, averaging 2 lions a week, those hounds were as about as good as they get.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Stricks

Seems a fitting thread and time to post this...

Urban Cougar

We tracked lions inside the city limits of Montrose,, Delta, Grand Junction.........nobody ever reported a lion in town.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We brought in a well-known houndsman here in Alberta for the capture/collar portion of the study. Given the relatively small area we were working, it was amazing how many cats there were.

The spot an stock/calling is pretty effective from what I gather. Have seen one cat fleetingly so far.
We set up fairly similar to you method. I figured if it works for black bear, it should work for the cats.
So far we have seen the one cat, cut quite a number of tracks, mostly in the river valley so obviously a cat moving through.
Next Fall, I'll be hunting closer to the Hills likely.
Jeff

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Boy I miss dog huntin, sadly we’ll never get it back.... really starting to notice my deer population declining...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
cats don't seam to respect borders much , lots of cats in Ferry county crossing back and forth into Midway ,Rock Creek area.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
We brought in a well-known houndsman here in Alberta for the capture/collar portion of the study. Given the relatively small area we were working, it was amazing how many cats there were.

The spot an stock/calling is pretty effective from what I gather. Have seen one cat fleetingly so far.
We set up fairly similar to you method. I figured if it works for black bear, it should work for the cats.
So far we have seen the one cat, cut quite a number of tracks, mostly in the river valley so obviously a cat moving through.
Next Fall, I'll be hunting closer to the Hills likely.
Jeff

Curious as to who was the houndsman used in the alberta study.
Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,248
Posts18,466,936
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.