Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I’m wanting to buy a lever gun in 30-30 Win. I have a 1972 Marlin 30-30 in mint condition. I’m afraid to use it as I don’t want to lower its value. With that being said, I want to buy a 30-30 in either a Marlin or Henry. I’m not a big fan of the micro groove barrels on the Marlin’s difficulty to stabilize lead bullets. I’m leaning towards a Henry but the slower twist of the Henry might not be able to stabilize the heavier bullets available for the 30-30. What’s your thoughts?

BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
if you buy and use a 30-30 find one that has a safety hammer lock, the old 30-30`s did not have a safety and are kinda dangerous . some will argue with me but i have seen them discharge while unloading accidently

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Uhmmmm, maybe they tripped the trigger cycling the action. Never had happened to me, but I don't unload mine.
I love Winchester model 64s. I don't worry about the value of a good rifle. I'm nice to the 64 deluxe but the standard 64 gets used hard. It's gaining character.........

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by pete53
if you buy and use a 30-30 find one that has a safety hammer lock, the old 30-30`s did not have a safety and are kinda dangerous . some will argue with me but i have seen them discharge while unloading accidently

I prefer the safety as well.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Edwin264
I’m wanting to buy a lever gun in 30-30 Win. I have a 1972 Marlin 30-30 in mint condition. I’m afraid to use it as I don’t want to lower its value. With that being said, I want to buy a 30-30 in either a Marlin or Henry. I’m not a big fan of the micro groove barrels on the Marlin’s difficulty to stabilize lead bullets. I’m leaning towards a Henry but the slower twist of the Henry might not be able to stabilize the heavier bullets available for the 30-30. What’s your thoughts?

If you shoot .309 cast bullets you should be fine....just slug the barrel and buy accordingly... generally .001 larger diameter.

IC B2

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
You got one of the best 30/30 models made in my opinion, and I have 3 guns in that caliber (Marlin, Winchester, and Savage). While your model may be worth a bit more on the market, to me, it has no value unless you shoot it. Have you tried cast bullets in the rifle, or is it what you have read? I've used cast bullets in several "Microgroove" BBLs over the years and have found several loads that work well (part of the secret is to cast .002 or .003 over .308 and drive them fast as the cast lead mixture will allow!). Many Marlin 444 user's prefer the Microgroove barrel for cast loads over "Ballard" rifling. As far as the safety issue, the possibility of an accidental firing while unloading can happen unloading a "bolt gun" without a "hinge plate" and a safety that only locks the bolt when employed. While opinions do vary on "additional" safeties to preclude "unsafe" firing mechanisms, there is usually no disagreement on where the muzzle should be pointed while doing this operation! I find most of the extra safety devices on a lever to change the smooth operation of the action and trigger, but I grew up without all the "warnings" and safe guard appendages now accompanying most equipment these days (not that there is anything wrong with that!). If you are concerned that you may mess up the value of your Marlin but like the gun, save the money you would spend on another 30/30, shoot it for a few years, then pay a gunsmith to restore it to like new "original" condition if you want to make it a "Safe Queen", sell it, or give it to one of your kids! My .02. Best regards!

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore

If you shoot .309 cast bullets you should be fine....just slug the barrel and buy accordingly... generally .001 larger diameter.

I read that. I’ll try what you recommended

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for the input friends

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
A couple of years ago, I bought a 1960 vintage 336SC .30/30. It's in no way perfect, it's got freckling over some parts, and the bluing is a bit thin on the receiver. I bought it to use, though, and never looked back. It's killed deer, and will continue to kill deer. It doesn't have to be perfect to do so, and I recognized that and bought it happily.

Rifles are made for using, if they get a few "character marks", so be it. I don't abuse them, but the companies built them to use, so don't be scared of using them, either.

Horror of horrors, I even drilled a hole in the buttstock and installed a swivel stud (not in the bullseye, of course) and clamped a swivel base on the 2/3 magazine. It had never had a scope on it, either, but I removed the plug screws and put on a scope, too.

Point being, don't be scared to use your Marlin. They've made millions of them, they are in no way rare or endangered species. Use them, that's why Marlin made them. Don't abuse it, but don't cry if you mar it while making a memory, either. The memories you make will be more important.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That's right, hunting scratches are a mark of the history you've made with a rifle.

OP, if you want to shoot a scope, go Marlin, irons or peep sight go '94 Winchester, I have three '94 Winchester 30-30's and love em, I shoot 170 gr Hornadys and Nosler Partitions out of all three.

Trump Won!
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A 1972 Marlin, even mint, is not a collector gun. Shoot it and enjoy it. You will not loose as much as you are loosing by not enjoying that gun.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Savage. Pointy bullets. Accurate. lightfoot mount allows a scope. None better.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Life is short. Shoot the one you have. or, the next guy will.

A 72 Marlin will never put your kids through college.

Last edited by Frontiersman; 02/04/18.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
A 1972 Marlin, even mint, is not a collector gun. Shoot it and enjoy it. You will not loose as much as you are loosing by not enjoying that gun.

THIS

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
savage all the way. very tight groups and pointy slugs in any weight. shot addax with mine and hornady factory flex tip D R T ! i really like using this gun, made in 1910.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
don't listen to the Savage guy's. i want them all!
i have and do collect anything with a lever( Fireball2 calles me a lever slut and i admit it);
the advice on the .002 over bore for the micro grooved barrels is spot on.
also the advice to hunt your current marlin is very sound. pay attention and you will keep it clean.
i have a 1980 winchester 375 big bore that is 99% that i have taken many deer, 3 bear, and 3 elk with. most in Oregon years ago in typical nasty Willamette Valley weather
i have never had a micrgroove rifle that wouldn't shoot close to an inch with a little tickling .

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The lever slut chimes in. ^^^^^^^^^ laugh

Hey Tom sell the poor guy a gun.

LOL
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Darn, a 72 rifle is almost new to me. My Win 94 is a 1936..It has no safety and sure have never had a problem.I always figured putting a safety on those type of lever guns was an answer for a problem that didn'r exist.

I reallydon't care for theHenry's today.FO sights ,and just not classic lines for a lever.

I sold a 44 mag Marlin this year,it would shoot both lead or jacketed bullet finse,no difference. Of course if they thought about scoping it, Marlin wins hands down

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Someday I aspire to be a “lever slut” too

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Like others said, "use it". I've got an 1960's, 70's and 2005 version in stainless. I use mine and love them. They really are among my favorite of rifles and you can do a lot with them at close range. Theyre a pleasure and like someone else mention, "if you don't use it someone else will after your gone". There's a whole lot of truth to this and it reminds me to do the same myself.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Have you considered a mossburg? The trigger travels with the Lever like a model 88 or a BLR.

The Marlin is your huckleberry IMO

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I bought a '67 Marlin 336 Texan with the brass saddle ring that looked like it had never been loaded. But it did as soon as I got it. Lots of closet queens out there, and cheap if you got the time and patience to look around. Shoot it. Hunt it.

I don't remember my Daisy Buck that I got when I was about 4 or 5 having a safety. Or any levergun I've had since. Never shot anything on accident with any of them.

Last edited by DollarShort; 02/11/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yes, cycling the action with your finger on the trigger will cause that to happen

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm a Savage 99 guy, but if the choice excludes those... Find yourself a nice, older Marlin and be happy. This was my dad's, a 1954 Marlin 336RC - first year they drilled them at the factory for scope bases apparently.

Still works. Really well.

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Shoot the marlin that you have.

Not trying to be mean here. But it's really not anything special or any thing of extra value. The best value you can get out of it is hunting it an enjoying it!

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Shoot the marlin that you have.

Not trying to be mean here. But it's really not anything special or any thing of extra value. The best value you can get out of it is hunting it an enjoying it!

-Jake

No offense taken Jake. I realize it’s not worth a pile of dollars. I was thinking 20-30 years down the road it might be worth more. Hopefully I’ll have a grandson one day that I can hand it down to. Everyone’s advice got me to thinking and realizing something. The guns I had handed down to me that are well used mean more to me than one that would’ve been new. The used guns tell a story.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
My Marlin is my favorite.. 24" half magazine..

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
few years ago, there was a guy locally best known for his bullet casting business, but he also cooled his house with a swamp cooler. In that house sitting in the box was a winchester 94 30.30, never been fired. after he passed away, it came up for sale, and i bought it for practically nothing. Inside was brand new, the out side a nice shade of brown from the humidity, pitted, corroded etc. I fooled with as best i good, then took it to a guy to get it reworked. made all the metal purty again, and reblued. Except the reciever, which was one of those alloy types that the bluing wouldn't stick too. so it got cerracoated with a light shade of green.
two tone winchester, shoots pretty good.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I agree, I'd use what you have and what has developed some memories for you that you can share with a grandson. Those memories will be the value in that rifle to your grandson. Take pictures of the deer you get with it so he can see how the rifle participated in your fun, and your making meat for the family. Your grandson will be thrilled to keep all that.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My wife bought me a Mossberg model 464 "brush gun" featuring 16 inch barrel and grey laminated stock with silvery marine coat finish. I love it!

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

use & enjoy the Marlin..........

they were made to hunt with.........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Use the Marlin or get the Marlin.

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Edwin,use your Marlin and take lots of pictures of the game that you kill with it.Hand down the gun and the pictures and the gun will mean more to whoever gets it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
only buy a 30-30 to use if the lever rifle has a safety,i seen a few accidents with the levers with no safeties when unloading the old levers with no safety. if you can afford it maybe buy a Browning BLR safer rifle with a clip and your ammo bullet tips don`t get smashed up,its also more accurate and a stronger action.

Last edited by pete53; 03/03/18.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
only buy a 30-30 to use if the lever rifle has a safety,i seen a few accidents with the levers with no safeties when unloading the old levers with no safety. if you can afford it maybe buy a Browning BLR safer rifle with a clip and your ammo bullet tips don`t get smashed up,its also more accurate and a stronger action.

How many times are you going to repeat your BS?
Any firearm is dangerous in the hands of a retard.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I’ve got two lever rifles without a safety and I prefer them over my lever rifles that have a safety. And I don’t mean any offense to anyone but I don’t care for the BLR rifles. I don’t doubt they’re a fine rifle but they just don’t appeal to my taste on lever rifles.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem

opp`s let`s not care about safety , here in central Minnesota we practice safety and try and steer our youth away from lever rifles without a safety !!

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Back to your question. You'll like the HENRY All Weather rifle. Durable and made to be taken afield.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

[Linked Image]

Nice, bet you have that Marlin set up to reach 200 yards across that hayfield if need be.

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by stevevan1
Back to your question. You'll like the HENRY All Weather rifle. Durable and made to be taken afield.

I’ve been eyeballin that Henry all-weather......that would make what I call, a hell of a work rifle.

Edwin

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

[Linked Image]

Nice, bet you have that Marlin set up to reach 200 yards across that hayfield if need be.

That’s a good picture

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
[/quote]
opp`s let`s not care about safety , here in central Minnesota we practice safety and try and steer our youth away from lever rifles without a safety !![/quote]

I’m not tryin to be a smart azz, but who is “we”? I’m tryin to get an idea of what you’re sayin. Thanks,

Edwin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

opp`s let`s not care about safety , here in central Minnesota we practice safety and try and steer our youth away from lever rifles without a safety !!

i have had hundreds of levers over the the last 7 decades and have never had an AD with one. can't say that about bolt guns.
i have had levers starting with original Henry's and most every other lever gun made since..not one AD ever

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by deerstalker

i have had hundreds of levers over the the last 7 decades and have never had an AD with one. can't say that about bolt guns.
i have had levers starting with original Henry's and most every other lever gun made since..not one AD ever

the day may come you may eat those words about a lever gun, you also posted you have had 100`s of levers ? really ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yes my friend, Really.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

WTF are you talking about? I've spent 62 years in central and nothern Minnesota and never heard such noncese. My dad carried a .32 special Marlin for years and taught me how to carry and shoot it properly. My uncle's and cousins carried every form of Marlin and Winchester lever action gun. Just about everyone I went to school with dad had a 30-30, .35 Rem, .32 WS or even a 38-55 . Everybody had a lever gun and no one ever had safety problems with them.
My kids learned to hunt with a pre safety Marlin. A Marlin or Winchester is probably the safest firearms for a new shooter to carry.

Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A Marlin or Winchester is probably the safest firearms for a new shooter ? your nuts, these levers without a safety are not that safe and in youth gun safety instructors teach kids about how unsafe these old levers are ! I live in central Minnesota and hunt by the Canadian border and no we don`t hunt with old levers, myself I use a Ruger no. 1 with a safety ,there`s a money rifle shoot in long siding area this Sunday 8am bring your lever 100 yards to 500 yards ,bet your lever won`t even shoot a 5 shot group at 100 yards under a inch off a cement bench. BRING THAT OLD LEVER,i`ll just use my old single shot ,and bring some cash too, I might be old but this won`t last long

Last edited by pete53; 03/07/18.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deerstalker

i have had hundreds of levers over the the last 7 decades

I KNEW you were a lever gun slut! laugh

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Marlin or Winchester is probably the safest firearms for a new shooter ? your nuts, these levers without a safety are not that safe and in youth gun safety instructors teach kids about how unsafe these old levers are ! I live in central Minnesota and hunt by the Canadian border and no we don`t hunt with old levers, myself I use a Ruger no. 1 with a safety ,there`s a money rifle shoot in long siding area this Sunday 8am bring your lever 100 yards to 500 yards ,bet your lever won`t even shoot a 5 shot group at 100 yards under a inch off a cement bench. BRING THAT OLD LEVER,i`ll just use my old single shot ,and bring some cash too, I might be old but this won`t last long

Please explain to us what is unsafe about these guns?
Do you have any statistics?
What about a list of lawsuits?
Whether or not a lever gun is more or less accurate than any other type of gun is irrelevant to your accusation that these guns are not safe.
I hate to tell you but NO loaded gun is 100% safe. The person carrying it makes it safe.
A Remington 700 can be a very unsafe weapon. That is a design defect.

Here is a little test.
Start a thread asking how to remove or disable a cross bolt safety on a Marlin.
You will get responses from many knowledgeable members on how to do it. You can even find videos on you tube.
Then start a thread about how to disable a safety on a bolt gun and see the responses you get.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Then Pete, you oughta get rid of your beloved (and unsafe?) BLRs. The large percentage of ADs with hammer guns occur when the hammer is lowered on a chambered cartridge and the BLR has no hammer block ......just a half cock notch like all the leverguns made since the 1860's. Did you read the instruction manual that came with your BLR?

"In order to move the hammer from full-cock to half-cock position,
you must first place your thumb on the hammer to restrict its forward
movement. The trigger is then carefully squeezed to release the
hammer from the full-cock notch....
Be careful: If the trigger remains depressed, the half-cock notch will
not catch the hammer should it accidentally slip during this operation.
The hammer would continue past the half-cock position to the
dropped or fired position and the gun could discharge
."

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Whether or not a lever gun is more or less accurate than any other type of gun is irrelevant to your accusation that these guns are not safe.
I hate to tell you but NO loaded gun is 100% safe. The person carrying it makes it safe.

Here is a little test.
You will get responses from many knowledgeable members on how to do it. You can even find videos on you tube.
Then start a thread about how to disable a safety on a bolt gun and see the responses you get.

If I had the time and inclination, I'd bring one of my lever action single shot Sharps Rifles, put petes money in my wallet, and leave my dirty patches with him ;]

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E

So I’m guessing that “we” is the youth gun safety instructors you’re talking about here.
What’s safety got to do with accuracy? I’m a NRA certified rifle and shotgun instructor, as well NRA RSO. I’ve never heard of what you’re talking about. I teach everyone to keep the gun pointed in a safe direction whether the gun is loaded or not.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Here is a little test.

If I had the time and inclination, I'd bring one of my lever action single shot Sharps Rifles, put petes money in my wallet, and leave my dirty patches with him ;]

>take the time and please bring the sharps rifle I`ll just use my bolt rifle,and please bring cash !

Last edited by pete53; 03/07/18.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are you going to address the questions asked?
How about replying to edwin264? He's a NRA certified rifle and shotgun instructor, as well NRA RSO.
What are your credentials?
I guess we are all keyboard commandos and you are the expert on everything.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Are you going to address the questions asked?
How about replying to edwin264? He's a NRA certified rifle and shotgun instructor, as well NRA RSO.
What are your credentials?
I guess we are all keyboard commandos and you are the expert on everything.

why should I ? you gun experts have it all figured out and I have notice its about the same guys that are always negative. I mentioned that some older levers are kinda unsafe because those older levers have no safety . I was just trying to help somebody out on what could happen ,as far as I am concern go ahead use those dang old levers to hunt with > but the day may come when that lever fire`s when that person is unloading that rifle, I hope it never happens in anyone ?

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
This is a lever gun forum right ?

The only 30-30 lever guns are:
Winchester
Marlin
Henry
Mossberg

If you want the BEST, modern designed one, a JM marked, pre microgroove, Marlin 30-30 is the only choice.

It will carry a scope, has a proven record of accuracy, is rugged and man sized.

Now as to why someone would bother with a 30-30 when a 35 Rem is available is a topic for another thread.

1948 was a very good year to buy a 30-30 !

[Linked Image]

Last edited by kazijoy; 03/08/18.
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I realize I’m just an opionated peckerwood who lives in the bush. I realize you can mount a scope on some lever action thuty-thuty’s and I guess you can even put a safety on ‘em. I cannot get my mind around why you would do either.
Please don’t bother to try and explain it— I don’t get it.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Well maybe in Canada everyone has perfect eyesight and all shots are 50 yards and under.. If you believe a 2.75X scope shot with both eyes open isn't as fast and more accurate than irons, you a'int tried it. I don't see a safety but I have old eyes.
With the Leverevolution ammo a 30-30 is a 200 yard rifle. Probably not sold in Canikastan as Pierre views it as dangerous ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We've only recently discovered Marlin lever guns in my family, partly due to the development of Leverevolution ammo and the notion that they don't have to be just "brush guns". Both the 30-30 and 35Rem can be 200yd rifles with a low-powered and low-mounted scope.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kazijoy
This is a lever gun forum right ?

The only 30-30 lever guns are:
Winchester
Marlin
Henry
Mossberg

If you want the BEST, modern designed one, a JM marked, pre microgroove, Marlin 30-30 is the only choice.

It will carry a scope, has a proven record of accuracy, is rugged and man sized.

Now as to why someone would bother with a 30-30 when a 35 Rem is available is a topic for another thread.

1948 was a very good year to buy a 30-30 !

[Linked Image]

You may have heard of an obscure brand called SAVAGE.

LOL
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
To the OP ... I'd shoot the one you've got.

My favorite .30-30s .. ? I had an old Winchester 94 with a 26 inch octagonal barrel, full length magazine, and a receiver sight. It didn't miss much. I gave it to my sister. She sold it. frown The other favorite was an early 80s '94 Trapper I did a trigger job on and added a receiver sight to. It'd whack match book covers out to 70-75 yards reliably with 170 grain "green box" factory ammo.

The favorite I have not owned is a Marlin 336 Cowboy. I've owned a couple 1895 Cowboys in .45-70 and one 336 Cowboy in .38-55, but none in .30-30. Since the others have all been MOA or better accurate, the .30-30 is very appealing to me.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Savage don't make no lever guns.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
You sure as hell don't need leverevolution ammo to make a .30-30 into a 200 yard rifle. I've killed numerous deer at 200 yards and beyond with a .30-30 and the plain old 150 and 170 grain round nose bullets. None took a second shot and some of them were taken with iron sights. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be but I can still regularly kill woodchucks out to 125 yards with my iron {receiver} sighted Winchester 94. Took two in a row, one shot apiece at 120 just last summer. 30 years ago I could put 3 shots in an inch with that same 94 at 100 yards and any chuck inside 175 was in deep shyt. A deer at 200 was toast.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by kazijoy
Savage don't make no lever guns.

Never heard of the Savage 99, huh?

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Well heres a nice Savage 99K in 30-30 made in 1931, enclosed hammer and lever safety,one of the best and safest 30-30 rifles ever built !!!! grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I always thought Savage 99's were uglier than a hatfull of azzholes. Real lever guns have exposed hammers and tube magazines.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
L, that is a beautiful old Savage.. I passed on a nice 30-30in a 99, and have kicked myself ever since..

Molon Labe
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Weather anyone thinks they are ugly or not,pretty sure the savage 99 has a lever on it. smile i like them all winchesters,marlins,savages, stevens high powers.I probably got 50 different rifles chambered in 30-30 ,and like the savage lines best. Don

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Loggah
Well heres a nice Savage 99K in 30-30 made in 1931, enclosed hammer and lever safety,one of the best and safest 30-30 rifles ever built !!!! grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

> I own a few Savage 99`s those 99`s sure shoot well and are a great safe rifle ,someday maybe I will find a nice 30-30. I always got kick out of how those older 99`s showed on the side how many loaded rounds are left. I wished Savage still made these 99`s I still would be buying these wonderful lever rifles !

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I always thought Savage 99's were uglier than a hatfull of azzholes. Real lever guns have exposed hammers and tube magazines.

I do love a good hammer and tube gun, but if you’re gonna put a scope on a lever gun I think it looks best on a Savage 99, maybe because they’re styled a little more like a semiauto or pump. Even without a scope I wouldn’t say it’s a bad looking gun, but I don’t think it stacks up to Marlins and Winchester’s.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Well for you levergun fanatics that dont like savages,heres one of my Marlins in 30-30,some probably wont like it either! smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Damn nice Marlin, Loggah!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Beautiful Marlin!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Damn nice Marlin, Loggah!!!

Absolutely!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JPro
We've only recently discovered Marlin lever guns in my family, partly due to the development of Leverevolution ammo and the notion that they don't have to be just "brush guns". Both the 30-30 and 35Rem can be 200yd rifles with a low-powered and low-mounted scope.

Leverevolution ammo will make it easier, as will a scope, but with a receiver sight, 200 yards is still doable with FP ammo.

But, there's nothing wrong with embracing improvements.

I'll hunt one day with my M94 with nothing changed except adding a receiver sight, the next day with a full-blown custom bolt gun. Don't tell anybody, but I fully intend on using an AR next season, a .458 SOCOM.....

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Originally Posted by JPro

Leverevolution ammo will make it easier, as will a scope, but with a receiver sight, 200 yards is still doable with FP ammo.

But, there's nothing wrong with embracing improvements.

I'll hunt one day with my M94 with nothing changed except adding a receiver sight, the next day with a full-blown custom bolt gun. Don't tell anybody, but I fully intend on using an AR next season, a .458 SOCOM.....

I change rifles like I change my under shorts during the season. One day my scoped Marlin 336, the next my receiver sighted 94, the next a scoped bolt action. Mostly depends on where and how I'm going to hunt that day.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
look`s like we all have a opinion what lever we like best,well mine is a Ruger #1 257 weatherby with a niteforce scope,"bi-pod on it also when out west" reason my first shot is the most important shot made and this combination shoots well from 50 yds to 500 yards sometimes farther ,my last 4 shots in 3 years killed 1 nice mule deer buck and 3 big whitetail bucks I don`t shoot little deer anymore just because we have had plenty elk in freezer from bow season , deer meat is not as tasty as a elk .yes we all have different ideals what lever is best ,I just like the challenge of one shot kills,some just like to shoot more.

Last edited by pete53; 03/12/18.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Those are some beautiful leverguns Loggah, but then we know you have a pile of 'em! Never get tired of seein' them either.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tmitch
Those are some beautiful leverguns Loggah, but then we know you have a pile of 'em! Never get tired of seein' them either.

Betting Loggah has a 5 gal bucket of new drool rags at the entrance to his gun room, and a burn pile out the back door in the yard! shocked grin

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E

Betting Loggah has a 5 gal bucket of new drool rags at the entrance to his gun room, and a burn pile out the back door in the yard! shocked grin

That’s some funny chit right there!😂

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
grin grinyou guys crack me up !!!!! once in a while when some come to visit ,i open the door and "HOLY SCHITT" is exclaimed! but i haden't noticed any slobbering ! grin

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

That’s some funny chit right there!😂

Ol Loggah has probably had people selling their wares all over the Eastern Seaboard to try and buy some of his cool guns. cry

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome to the lever side Jpro

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If you love that old Marlin, use it and enjoy it or find a duplicate. There are plenty of 70's guns still around and they aren't collectible enough to bring a premium.

I have always used pre-safety 94 Winchesters and have found them to shoot well with either cast or jacketed bullets.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like Marlins.

You can easily remove the lever and bolt to clean from the breach on a Marlin with the removal of the “ lever hinge bolt”. Can’t do that with a Winchester. Never handled a centerfire Henry.

I prefer Ballard-rifled Marlins ( and JM stamped versions overall, pre-Remington ownership). Just personal preference. Microgroove barrel absolutely CAN shoot cast bullets well. General rule of thumb is to use a cast bullet .002+” greater diameter than GROOVE diameter. You have to slug the bore first to get the actual groove diameter of your barrel, then cast/size/lube .002-.003” greater than your reading. Can’t just assume your groove diameter is .308”.

My 1976 era Marlin 336a (24” barrel) shoots honest moa with 170 grain Speer hotcore bullets over 32 grains of Win 748 powder ( flash hole uniformed brass). It does not have the cross bolt safety. I wish it did. I think it is an excellent safety feature-particularly for unloading the rifle.

I agree with other posts. Go ahead and shoot the Marlin you already have.

Last edited by buttstock; 05/14/18.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
702 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 3,131 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,744
Posts18,401,246
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.