Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I’m wanting to buy a lever gun in 30-30 Win. I have a 1972 Marlin 30-30 in mint condition. I’m afraid to use it as I don’t want to lower its value. With that being said, I want to buy a 30-30 in either a Marlin or Henry. I’m not a big fan of the micro groove barrels on the Marlin’s difficulty to stabilize lead bullets. I’m leaning towards a Henry but the slower twist of the Henry might not be able to stabilize the heavier bullets available for the 30-30. What’s your thoughts?

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
if you buy and use a 30-30 find one that has a safety hammer lock, the old 30-30`s did not have a safety and are kinda dangerous . some will argue with me but i have seen them discharge while unloading accidently

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Uhmmmm, maybe they tripped the trigger cycling the action. Never had happened to me, but I don't unload mine.
I love Winchester model 64s. I don't worry about the value of a good rifle. I'm nice to the 64 deluxe but the standard 64 gets used hard. It's gaining character.........

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by pete53
if you buy and use a 30-30 find one that has a safety hammer lock, the old 30-30`s did not have a safety and are kinda dangerous . some will argue with me but i have seen them discharge while unloading accidently

I prefer the safety as well.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Edwin264
I’m wanting to buy a lever gun in 30-30 Win. I have a 1972 Marlin 30-30 in mint condition. I’m afraid to use it as I don’t want to lower its value. With that being said, I want to buy a 30-30 in either a Marlin or Henry. I’m not a big fan of the micro groove barrels on the Marlin’s difficulty to stabilize lead bullets. I’m leaning towards a Henry but the slower twist of the Henry might not be able to stabilize the heavier bullets available for the 30-30. What’s your thoughts?

If you shoot .309 cast bullets you should be fine....just slug the barrel and buy accordingly... generally .001 larger diameter.

IC B2

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
You got one of the best 30/30 models made in my opinion, and I have 3 guns in that caliber (Marlin, Winchester, and Savage). While your model may be worth a bit more on the market, to me, it has no value unless you shoot it. Have you tried cast bullets in the rifle, or is it what you have read? I've used cast bullets in several "Microgroove" BBLs over the years and have found several loads that work well (part of the secret is to cast .002 or .003 over .308 and drive them fast as the cast lead mixture will allow!). Many Marlin 444 user's prefer the Microgroove barrel for cast loads over "Ballard" rifling. As far as the safety issue, the possibility of an accidental firing while unloading can happen unloading a "bolt gun" without a "hinge plate" and a safety that only locks the bolt when employed. While opinions do vary on "additional" safeties to preclude "unsafe" firing mechanisms, there is usually no disagreement on where the muzzle should be pointed while doing this operation! I find most of the extra safety devices on a lever to change the smooth operation of the action and trigger, but I grew up without all the "warnings" and safe guard appendages now accompanying most equipment these days (not that there is anything wrong with that!). If you are concerned that you may mess up the value of your Marlin but like the gun, save the money you would spend on another 30/30, shoot it for a few years, then pay a gunsmith to restore it to like new "original" condition if you want to make it a "Safe Queen", sell it, or give it to one of your kids! My .02. Best regards!

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Originally Posted by Edwin264

If you shoot .309 cast bullets you should be fine....just slug the barrel and buy accordingly... generally .001 larger diameter.

I read that. I’ll try what you recommended

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for the input friends

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
A couple of years ago, I bought a 1960 vintage 336SC .30/30. It's in no way perfect, it's got freckling over some parts, and the bluing is a bit thin on the receiver. I bought it to use, though, and never looked back. It's killed deer, and will continue to kill deer. It doesn't have to be perfect to do so, and I recognized that and bought it happily.

Rifles are made for using, if they get a few "character marks", so be it. I don't abuse them, but the companies built them to use, so don't be scared of using them, either.

Horror of horrors, I even drilled a hole in the buttstock and installed a swivel stud (not in the bullseye, of course) and clamped a swivel base on the 2/3 magazine. It had never had a scope on it, either, but I removed the plug screws and put on a scope, too.

Point being, don't be scared to use your Marlin. They've made millions of them, they are in no way rare or endangered species. Use them, that's why Marlin made them. Don't abuse it, but don't cry if you mar it while making a memory, either. The memories you make will be more important.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That's right, hunting scratches are a mark of the history you've made with a rifle.

OP, if you want to shoot a scope, go Marlin, irons or peep sight go '94 Winchester, I have three '94 Winchester 30-30's and love em, I shoot 170 gr Hornadys and Nosler Partitions out of all three.

Trump Won!
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A 1972 Marlin, even mint, is not a collector gun. Shoot it and enjoy it. You will not loose as much as you are loosing by not enjoying that gun.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Savage. Pointy bullets. Accurate. lightfoot mount allows a scope. None better.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Life is short. Shoot the one you have. or, the next guy will.

A 72 Marlin will never put your kids through college.

Last edited by Frontiersman; 02/04/18.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
A 1972 Marlin, even mint, is not a collector gun. Shoot it and enjoy it. You will not loose as much as you are loosing by not enjoying that gun.

THIS

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
savage all the way. very tight groups and pointy slugs in any weight. shot addax with mine and hornady factory flex tip D R T ! i really like using this gun, made in 1910.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
don't listen to the Savage guy's. i want them all!
i have and do collect anything with a lever( Fireball2 calles me a lever slut and i admit it);
the advice on the .002 over bore for the micro grooved barrels is spot on.
also the advice to hunt your current marlin is very sound. pay attention and you will keep it clean.
i have a 1980 winchester 375 big bore that is 99% that i have taken many deer, 3 bear, and 3 elk with. most in Oregon years ago in typical nasty Willamette Valley weather
i have never had a micrgroove rifle that wouldn't shoot close to an inch with a little tickling .

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The lever slut chimes in. ^^^^^^^^^ laugh

Hey Tom sell the poor guy a gun.

LOL
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Darn, a 72 rifle is almost new to me. My Win 94 is a 1936..It has no safety and sure have never had a problem.I always figured putting a safety on those type of lever guns was an answer for a problem that didn'r exist.

I reallydon't care for theHenry's today.FO sights ,and just not classic lines for a lever.

I sold a 44 mag Marlin this year,it would shoot both lead or jacketed bullet finse,no difference. Of course if they thought about scoping it, Marlin wins hands down

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Someday I aspire to be a “lever slut” too

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Like others said, "use it". I've got an 1960's, 70's and 2005 version in stainless. I use mine and love them. They really are among my favorite of rifles and you can do a lot with them at close range. Theyre a pleasure and like someone else mention, "if you don't use it someone else will after your gone". There's a whole lot of truth to this and it reminds me to do the same myself.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

314 members (1lesfox, 2alphas2, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,632
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.