24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Over the last month at our local range I have picked up a little over 700 pieces of this stuff.....all bolt action fired....

In one afternoon close to 300.... could not believe it when I pulled up to the tables....not a soul there and this pile...literally...A PILE... off to the right....

Mostly Hornady...a few Federal and some Winchester

I have over heard many, many times from the tables shooting this stuff around me .... "its cheap to shoot",..."Lets just go buy more"...."its not costing me anything"......

One occasion they did just that!!!......4 of them .......left and went and bought more...came back and burned through 180 rounds.....all left on the ground....

Every trip to the range yields some good once fired (bolt action) brass.......this stuff is getting ridiculous when there is at least 60 to 80 pieces of this Creedmoor...

Heavy

HR IC

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have this on my range, mostly police shooting it, 223, 308, 40sw, 9mm 45acp , tax payers foot the bill so they shoot all Factory, I let local police department use my range for qualification and sometimes it can yield up to a 5 gallon bucket or 2 of brass

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Donate it to a youth shooting program

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
My son has a friend in the Army, he brings us 5 gallon bucket of brass. I have more 9, 45, 223, and 308 than we could ever use.

Last edited by hanco; 01/19/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HeavyDove
Over the last month at our local range I have picked up a little over 700 pieces of this stuff.....all bolt action fired....

In one afternoon close to 300.... could not believe it when I pulled up to the tables....not a soul there and this pile...literally...A PILE... off to the right....

Mostly Hornady...a few Federal and some Winchester

I have over heard many, many times from the tables shooting this stuff around me .... "its cheap to shoot",..."Lets just go buy more"...."its not costing me anything"......

One occasion they did just that!!!......4 of them .......left and went and bought more...came back and burned through 180 rounds.....all left on the ground....

Every trip to the range yields some good once fired (bolt action) brass.......this stuff is getting ridiculous when there is at least 60 to 80 pieces of this Creedmoor...

Heavy

So are you selling some of it. PM me if you want to sell some Hornady.

Last edited by lazydrifter; 01/19/18.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My local range does not allow for picking up brass not your own. And I believe our local cops are required to use factory ammo for on duty and qualifying. So why practice with ammo that may not match what you bet your life on?

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by hanco
My son has a friend in the Army, he brings us 5 gallon bucket of brass. I have more 9, 45, 223, and 308 than we could ever use.

Interesting. The army has fairly strict procedures for accounting for spent brass. When a unit draws training ammo, they are required to turn in a certain weight of dunnage from the ammo draw, and if the required amount of dunnage is not turned in, it triggers an investigation. I have seen commanders relieved if the investigation reveals malfeasance. If your sons friend is supplying you with military brass that was not disposed of through DRMO, he may be in violation of the UCMJ. There are legal was of obtaining military brass, but it usually doesn’t involve five gallon buckets. If it’s not military brass, he’s very generous.

Old70

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by kellory
My local range does not allow for picking up brass not your own. And I believe our local cops are required to use factory ammo for on duty and qualifying. So why practice with ammo that may not match what you bet your life on?

Huh?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That is a lot of money worth of brass. Good find.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just bought a bunch of new LC16 5.56 for less than $.20 each delivered. Not worth reaming pickup surplus for that price.

The Creedmoor brass is another matter, especially since you know its "history".

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I never find any creedmoor brass find lots of pistol brass some 308 and some 243 is about it

Tater
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Wish they'd do that with 10mm auto, when I find that laying around I feel like I've struck gold....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Sheriff's office in the Parish I grew up in here in LA had trustees who reloaded their ammo for practice and qualifying. I had more than one of them tell me they had never had misfires from the reloaded stuff. But, they didn't carry the reloads while on duty. It would have to be a lot of trust to do that IMO.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Wow! I don’t have a range around here so I shoot at rancher friend's places. I remember growing up in West Texas there was only one range and not really anywhere else to shoot safely. The brass covering the ground, around the shooting tables, was like thick carpet. I think Reloading has become much more mainstream than it was 20+ years ago. Or, maybe I just spend time around a more sophisticated class of people these days and don’t realize that I’m still in the minority. Anyway, good find!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by NMScout308
Wish they'd do that with 10mm auto, when I find that laying around I feel like I've struck gold....

went with a friend to a range by his house, there was a guy at the bench shooting a 338-378 wby in a suite, he blew through 5 boxes of factory ammo and when he was done he tossed it into the trash. that was a good day, i dont get that type of brass on my range, most of the guys leave 223, 308, and all kind of pistol brass lay.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by NMScout308

PM me your address, i picked up like 150 Federal nickel brass and tossed it in my 5 gallon nickel brass bucket, ill dig it out and put it in a padded mailer and send it to you. its not the mother load but its a nugget.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by old70
Originally Posted by hanco

Interesting. The army has fairly strict procedures for accounting for spent brass. When a unit draws training ammo, they are required to turn in a certain weight of dunnage from the ammo draw, and if the required amount of dunnage is not turned in, it triggers an investigation. I have seen commanders relieved if the investigation reveals malfeasance. If your sons friend is supplying you with military brass that was not disposed of through DRMO, he may be in violation of the UCMJ. There are legal was of obtaining military brass, but it usually doesn’t involve five gallon buckets. If it’s not military brass, he’s very generous.

Old70

Not just the Army, all service branches to my knowledge.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
607 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 160user, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,767 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,737
Posts18,401,102
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.