Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
http://montaneelk.com/elk-studies/

i find above link quite informative, helped me a lot and i hope it will do the same for you.

A True Leader knows the way, shows the way and goes the way.
GB1

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’ll check out Joe Riis’ book.

Landlord, I have shot a bull most years before noon of opening day. There are elk there. But if not, I want to be better at analyzing their food sources and have an idea if that is causing them to move and finding other security areas they may have gone to as a result of pressure. Thanks for the link. That was one I was looking for.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Thanks for the link Landlord.

There are other studies that suggest that human disturbance affect elk in ways that are not readily seen by us, but do have a long term effect.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here is a link to a peer reviewed article

http://wyocoopunit.org/wp-content/uploads/Sawyer_et_al._2007_JWM.pdf

Hall Sawyer has done a lot of work with deer, elk and pronghorn in WY and Colorado

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Thanks for the link Landlord.

There are other studies that suggest that human disturbance affect elk in ways that are not readily seen by us, but do have a long term effect.

No problem partner. Human disturbance eh, sent me a private message if you have any update on that please.

A True Leader knows the way, shows the way and goes the way.
IC B2

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Blueranger
Here is a link to a peer reviewed article

http://wyocoopunit.org/wp-content/uploads/Sawyer_et_al._2007_JWM.pdf

Hall Sawyer has done a lot of work with deer, elk and pronghorn in WY and Colorado

Thanks. Some good information in there.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
finding a area with lots of clean water ,good green grass ,best is still alfalfa try to get within a couple of miles from the field.some may laugh what i just posted again ,well this year again 2017 we shot 2 elk that are in my freezer again,one bull 380 B.C.+ it out scores my 374 B.C. from 10 years ago .all shot with bows too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Push the EZ button and go to Randy Newberg Hunter and learn about Elk needs. Randy posts here as Big Fin and has summarized Elk hunting better than anyone. Lessons learned are that if you understand an Elk's needs and are willing to work harder and suffer more than others you are more likely to be successful.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I remember talking to one native Coloradoan about his elk hunting.
He had followed this herd with a bull that he wanted and had their habits down pat.

When he quietly walked in to set up on the meadow for his ambush there was on minor glitch in his plan
Isn't there always.

Someone had set up their camp right at his planned hunting spot.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by LouisB
I remember talking to one native Coloradoan about his elk hunting.
He had followed this herd with a bull that he wanted and had their habits down pat.

When he quietly walked in to set up on the meadow for his ambush there was on minor glitch in his plan
Isn't there always.

Someone had set up their camp right at his planned hunting spot.

I shake my head when guys set up a big camp right in the middle of the elk.......

When we backpack hunt we do often make camp right on the edge of the elk. But we camp "small" keep disturbance low, and don't build a fire. I killed my biggest archery bull a 100 yards from the tent.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,832
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.