Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dogger
Or is it all just nostalgia?

thanks in advance for your replies...

The only really practical reason to own a .300 H&H is because there just plain isn't much in this world with that kind of cool factor...

And it IS efficient. It was my favorite cartridge for elk..

When I was doing a LOT of hunting the main battery was a 7x57, a .300H&H, and a .375 H&H...can you tell I like the classics?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Bugger
I think I’d prefer a 30 Super, myself.

grin

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Mathman, I went and took a look at my reloading data, cause you made me question myself.

With Reloader 22, my H&H is using 70 grains for 2985 FPS while a friend's .30-06 I was playing with was getting 2750 FPS with 62 grains. That's only 235 extra FPS for 8 grains (or 12%) more powder. I guess it is a bit subjective as to whether or not that extra FPS is worth the extra cost in powder and possibly recoil, blast, action length, etc.

With IMR 4831, my .300 H&H uses 73 grains to reach right at 3000 FPS, where my .300 Win is (or was, since I gave the rifle to my nephew) using 74 grains to reach right around the same speed, so these two are pretty close, though both use a lot more powder than -06 or 308 sized rounds. All three of these rifles were shooting the same 180 grain bullet when I wrote all this down.

These are small sample sizes, so if you have contrasting notes, I'd like to hear your thoughts.
My H&H does have 2 more inches of barrel than the other two rifles though. I am not sure how much of a difference that makes.

I appreciate your answer. I asked you to elaborate because I wasn't sure if your comment was about the efficiency of 300 mags vs smaller rounds (which you have made clear here) or if it was the H&H vs other 300 mags. I used to gig my 257 Weatherby shooting friend about how my 250 Savage got better than 80% of the velocity with less than half the powder. grin

No problem.

Glad we're on the same page.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The larger the case the less efficient. But then there’s a minimum too. Who wants to hunt caribou with a 300 blackout?

It seems that when one wants to promote a smaller case, the word efficient is brought up.

Yes a 30-06 is more efficient than a 300 Mag, a 308 is more efficient than a 30-06, a 308 Marlin is more efficient than a 308 Win, and a 300 Savage is more efficient than any above.

If it were just for efficiency sake, there would be no more Weatherby’s or belted magnums and 3,000 fps would not be likely.

But others put more priority on velocity.

Where’s your happy medium? If you’re hunting pronghorn, efficiency may not be your highest priority. But if you’re hunting from a stand and will be shooting at 50 yards then an ultra magnum may not be your first choice.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Bugger
The larger the case the less efficient. But then there’s a minimum too. Who wants to hunt caribou with a 300 blackout?

It seems that when one wants to promote a smaller case, the word efficient is brought up.

Yes a 30-06 is more efficient than a 300 Mag, a 308 is more efficient than a 30-06, a 308 Marlin is more efficient than a 308 Win, and a 300 Savage is more efficient than any above.

If it were just for efficiency sake, there would be no more Weatherby’s or belted magnums and 3,000 fps would not be likely.

But others put more priority on velocity.

Where’s your happy medium? If you’re hunting pronghorn, efficiency may not be your highest priority. But if you’re hunting from a stand and will be shooting at 50 yards then an ultra magnum may not be your first choice.

There ya go Bugg. IMO there are too many who miss that point.
Efficiency has its place AFAIC. But efficiency is not the END ALL.

As a personal example,
I like/use the 7 RM and have no complaints BUT

IMO the 7 RUM is over the top. I’m not just referencing recoil, I also shoot/hunt the 8 RM.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sometimes you just have to quit worrying about efficiency, feet per second, case life, and what other folks say on the internet- and just get out and shoot.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well "Practical" is a word that may be perceived differently by different people.
I earn my living (about 985% anyway) making flintlocks. Are they "practical"?
Yes, if the purpose is to enjoy one more then you might enjoy (as an example) an AK47 or an AR15. Having be as far behind in my work load as 8 years, apparently there are many dozens of men and women that agree.

For customers who disagree within the State of Wyoming, I also have a lot of experience making ARs and AKs too.
Some still prefer a classic Bolt action, like a 98 Mauser, a Lee "Speed" or a Mannlicher–Schönauer. I just made a classic-looking left handed bolt action for a man in 9.3X62 by re-shaping a Ruger M77 Mk2 and re-barrelling it to that caliber with a barrel I contoured to the classic 1910 shape.
Is that as practical as an FN-FAL?

Many will say yeas. Many others will say no.

gnoahhh above may be closest to the real issue here.

Who cares if it's not practical in someone else's eyes.

I have owned and used several 300s in my life. I sold them all except my 300H&H. Why? Because I like it the best. Ballistics are in the same league as most others 300s and I can't tell ANY difference in how well it kills elk than any other 300 at any range.

I just like the classic lines best.
It makes me enjoy the gun more then the other eight 300s I have owned, so to me it's the most practical of them all.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I never said efficiency is the end all. That said, I remain convinced that a lot of folks are over gunned and over scoped.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I remain convinced that a lot of folks are over gunned and over scoped.

Truer words were never spoken. I can't tell you how many nimrods I see in the deer woods armed with magnums of some sort with scopes bolted on that would do a Marine sniper in Afghanistan proud. Do they entertain Walter Mitty-like dreams of mountain-to-mountain shots at sheep, or wish they were staring at a riled up brown bear? I don't get it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nature abhors a vacuum!

Always worked for me

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I never said efficiency is the end all. That said, I remain convinced that a lot of folks are over gunned and over scoped.

I remain convinced that a lot of folks are under-skilled, ignorant, and inexperienced. I am also convinced that much of what most folks "know" is contradicted by facts.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have had several 300 H&Hs. I think it is a really easy to get to shoot round, it feeds smoother than any of my other rifles- even ones of the same make and I just ordered brass for it- Midway or Graffs had Norma brass at about a buck a pop.

I am taking it to Africa in a couple of weeks and will probably hunt with factory 180 grain Fail safe ammo. It also really likes 150 Partition Golds so that is what I will load.

I had Redding make me a custom die. My brass last plenty long now with almost no trimming.

Yes, it requires a long action but it is a hunting rifle, not a target rifle where I am trying to pry the utmost accuracy out of it. When I bought the current one, it was to be a donor for a 375. I made the mistake of shooting it first.

My group of 4 that is headed across the pond next month are taking three 300 H&Hs. My second gun is a 458 Lott. Both are nostalgic African cartridges.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got absolutely nothing of value to add to this thread, but here's my .300 H&H. I really like it so far.
Both of these critters could have easily been taken with a .308 or even a .243, but that's not the point. I just really like this rifle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
szihn said, “Who cares if it’s not practical in someone else’s eyes?”

I agree and it’s great that we have choices and that we are not all alike.
It would not only be boring, but consider the difficulty in finding ammo or
components IF we only had 2 or 3 rifles and cartridges to choose ! !

I’ve had a Rem 700 8mm RM for quite a few years. I’ve hunted it and killed WT
with it..... practical ? NO. Then why, because I wanted to !

ATST what animal is too tough for a 200 gr Nosler Partition at 3100 FPS ?
I’m prepared for anything that I might hunt.

I’ve also wanted to ‘play’ with a 416 RM for a long time. I’m not buying one but
if I did, what diff is it to anyone else?

There are a few smaller cartridges that I have NO interest in owning or shooting.
Some of those are very popular among us loony’s... I don’t criticize those who adore those rounds.

Variety is good for US.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tinman...I thought I was the only one to take a 300 H&H to Alaska caribou hunting.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I've dealt with a bunch of rifles that have even more practical problems, and will again. The official motto of our little company, riflesandrecipes.com, is "Need has nothing to do with it." But for me to deal with another .300 H&H with require running across some REALLY nifty old rifle. I'll then go ahead with knowledge of the H&H's "practical" problems.

And that sums it up pretty well. And is the reason most of us have neat rifles in odd chamberings smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My ugly wife/rifle comments still stand, but I forgot to add this: My pre-war 70 shoots 180gr Partitions, TTSXs and 200gr Partitions to the SAME POI out to 200 yards. Pretty darned practical in my view.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
And that sums it up pretty well. And is the reason most of us have neat rifles in odd chamberings smile

I'm doing some serious downsizing right now. When I'm done will be down to a 257Roberts, 275Rigby, 280Remington and a 300HH for scoped big game rifles, all of which have been eclipsed by "better" more modern chamberings.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Super Cub, are you just now getting ready to use some of those 300 H&H cases that went your way some time ago?

I don't have an H&H but do have a 300 WSM which is ballistically the same thing. It seems to be a nicely balanced cartridge and was easy to get shooting well.

All the best from Ontario.

Jim

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't need one, don't have one, but would like to have one.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,726
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.