D
Or is it all just nostalgia?

thanks in advance for your replies...

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It’s better today than it was when it was created in my opinion. It cycles like it’s greased, gets excellent speeds that nip on the Win Mag, seems very accurate as well. I’d easy cave for the right one. Right now I’m enjoying the P64 rechambered to 300 Wby but I would have been just as happy with the H&H.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Easy. You find an old classic beauty and it's a Super .30. No flies on the ballistics either. Originally, it was designed, so I've read, to match .30/06 ballistics safely in hot climates. Needs a long action or (my preference) a nice falling block.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They feed very well and handle heavy bullets exceptionally well.

------------------------
John
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
No.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It has the same capacity as a WSM, but requires a magnum-length action. WSM brass and ammo are everywhere, but H&H brass is rare. The Win Mag is even more prolific in guns and components, and outdoes the old round's ballistics. No practical reasons to select the H&H today.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Because you want one?

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If one came your way free of charge with plenty of loading supplies, loaded ammo, and you didn't own any other big game rifles but you did need one, sure. Other than the above scenario playing out, not really.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
The Remington Classic is a fine gun. They chambered it one year. One sold in the classifieds not long ago for around 900.00

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
New in the box 300 H&H Classic on GB for 1600.00

IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
No practical reason but almost guaranteed your buddies won’t have one. 😀 I’ve got two, a Remington 721 made in the month I was born and a used Rem 40-XB

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by Dogger
Are there practical reasons to own a .300 H&H?

No. Not when you can get a 300 WSM that gives better velocity out of a short action than the 300 H&H gives from a full length magnum action.

There's no denying that the 300 H&H is cool and there are some beautiful rifles chambered in it. I'd be happy to own one, but if I were designing a modern hunting rifle it wouldn't be in 300 H&H.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Practicality has no bearing on what rifles float my boat. I love my 300 H&H's !

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, practicality is often highly overrated. Which is why I've had four .300 H&H's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
L
John, Is practical ever mentioned in the definition of "Rifle Loony"? Just curious.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Well I've used my pre-64 from the Alaskan Peninsula to Sonora Mexico on everything from Brown Bear to Sonoran Whitetail. Also shot a 363 Bull Elk with it among other things. I used 200 grain Partitions in Alaska and 180 grain Partitions elsewhere. Worked just fine!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'd love on in a pre 64, just struggle at the price they bring currently.
Then again, I want a 7x57 on a mauser action whereas a 7-08 is not particularly of interest!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
The .300 H & H is cool.. Mine is a #1, but have had several 721's one model 70 and one rebarreled 700.. Think I might still have that barrel some where..

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't own a 300 Mag of any flavor, just don't feel like I need one for whitetails. The only 300 Mag that could tempt me is the H&H. Just a cool old cartridge.

As to the question about any practical reason, probably not.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The idea that when a new shape of shell comes out that the old shell suddenly stops working right is just dumb.

The 300 H&H is at least as good today as it ever was and with modern powders it's actually better.

I have made so many 300s of various types that I have lost count of them. 300 H&Hs 300 Win mags, 308 Normas, 30-338s, 300 Weatherbys, a few 300 Ultras and so on. In the field I can't tell the difference in any of them as to how well they kill. In fact the fastest ones are the ones that seem to present the most problems in loads and bullet performance if you don't pay attention tot he details.

I have paired down my 30s to a 30-30, a few 308s, a few 30-06s and one 300, which is an H&H. I sold my last 300 Win mag a few years ago. It had a 26" barrel on it. I chronographed it along side my 300 H&H and there was no practical difference at all. In fact with my 200 grain loads my H&H is actually 12 FPS faster.

Both rifles shot under MOA.

The 300 Win Mag was on an M70 Winchester and my H&H (one of 3 I have owned) is on a Mauser which I just like the looks of better.
So I kept the 300H&H.

"Practical" is not something that entered my mind because there is nothing impractical about it any more than any other 300.

If total practicality was of any concern to me at all, I would probably only own a 308 Winchester and a 30-06 and forget every other 30 cal ever made.

But "practical" is not a concern to a gun buff.

Enjoyment is the 1st concern.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
steve,

Yeah, there are impracticalities about owning a .300 H&H. If you don't handload, ammo is hard to find and not very varied, and even if you do handload brass can be hard to find.

Other than that, the .300 H&H works fine, but to turn your logic in the opposite direction, it doesn't do anything the other .300's don't.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by papat
Because you want one?
Bingo! Since when does a rifle loony need a practical reason?

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nostalgia only. But that's not a bad thing.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Nostalgia only. But that's not a bad thing.

I agree and the pros & cons have been well discussed.

If I had a 300 H H, it would HAVE to be in a Nostalgic Rifle. I would not want to build a custom nor to have it in any NEW production rifle.

Nostalgia = Nostalgia

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I do not see the practicality.
But, the 300 H&H is one cool cartridge !!
I am not a big fan of 300's, but of course have a couple.

The 300 H&H is one that I could learn to be fond of.
A 300 H&H rifle matched to a 375 H&H rifle is an interesting idea to me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Yes... just another brass cylinder, and a poor one at that.

Live in the time you live, where you are now. Build memories from this place, not upon the shoulders of another man long gone.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, the .300 H&H was a product of it's times. It was originally designed to reproduce 1920's .30-06 velocities with Cordite, which was VERY heat-sensitive, the reason the case was a lot larger than the .30-06's, and considerably tapered--which aided extraction if the case got a little sticky. Which is also the reason for the shallow shoulder angle, which was the reason for the belted case: The shoulder angle of 8.5 degrees wasn't even as much as the .375 H&H's 15 degrees, so was worthless for headspacing.

Which is why the .300 H&H is prone to case stretching and hence short case life. How long the cases last depends on how closely the belt matches the the chamber, which is a crapshoot with today's brass in any rifle. I know this (again) because I've owned and handloaded for several .300 H&H rifles, including a pre-'64 Model 70, a Ruger No. 1 and a custom-barreled Model 70 Classic.

.300 H&H brass is available, though not nearly as often as .300 WSM, .300 Winchester and .300 Weatherby, and when it is available costs more. Because of the case shape it doesn't last as long.

As far as the .300 H&H "feeding" better, I've owned several .300 WSM, .300 Winchester and .300 Weatherby rifles and they all have fed just fine--except for the very first .300 WSM, a first-year M70 Classic in .300 WSM made before the bugs got worked out.

The .300 H&H has just about exactly the same powder room as the .300 WSM, and at the same pressures is capable of the same velocities. This was proven years ago in project I suggested to Charlie Sisk, who first chambered a barrel in .300 H&H and tried several loads, with pressure-testing. Then he rechambered it to .300 WSM, keeping the throat in as close to the same place as possible. The same powder charges and bullets resulted in basically the same velocities and pressures.

The .300 H&H is a case designed for powder problems that no longer exist, so involves problems (and expenses) that are non-existent for newer .300 magnums. If somebody has a .300 H&H and plenty of brass, obviously it produces ballistics resembling most other .300 magnums, so will work well.

I've dealt with a bunch of rifles that have even more practical problems, and will again. The official motto of our little company, riflesandrecipes.com, is "Need has nothing to do with it." But for me to deal with another .300 H&H with require running across some REALLY nifty old rifle. I'll then go ahead with knowledge of the H&H's "practical" problems.

John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've had very good case life with .300 H&H brass. Like most other rifle cartridges, especially belted ones, I size just enough so that a little effort is required to close the bolt. After five or six firings, a full-length sizing may be required. I would guess that full-length sizing of H&H brass everytime would result in case separation after two or three loadings.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's discussions like this one that might make a guy realize that what appeals to him may or may not be rationally justifiable. Sometimes I like stuff---or NOT---just because. I'll bet I ain't the only one.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Practical? absolutely not but as a rifle "loon" and historical one as well. I've been fortunate the pre-war 70 I have shoots just about everything to POI with varying bullet weights, especially the 180 and 200 gr Partitions. Using the old Nosler reloading manual, I was never able to break 2900 fps with the 180s, but after I switched to RL-22, it is an honest 3000 fps rifle. I have a lifetime supply of WW brass, but this rifle doesn't really care if I shoot RP, Nosler or Hornady brass and I've even been known to use the old 220gr RN Horndays as well (and talk about a COOL looking round that is simply devastating on hogs). It's like a beautiful woman with expensive tastes, but hell, life's just too short to shoot "practical", if I wanted that, I'd have an ugly wife and shoot a 308.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
lotech,

I've used that technique not only in my own .300 H&H's but a couple loaned for testing. It CAN work, but depends very much on the dimensions of the belt of the cases, and the chamber.

It's lot like "gently" resizing any of the older tapered cases that headspace on a rim or belt, instead of a substantial shoulder. It depends a lot on the fit between the rim/belt of the particular brass and the particular chamber. In a higher-pressure round like the .300 H&H this is more critical than in a low-pressure case like the .22 Hornet, but the results still vary.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Would the H&H be a prime candidate for sizing with a collet die?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Zastava 300HH length action out in the shop. On a new barrel, the 300HH would not be even thought about. 300 Weatherby most likely, since I have the Die set.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by papat
Because you want one?

That's a good enough reason for me. I've never bothered to rationalise a cartridge choice. I buy the rifle in the cartridge I want purely for interest, nostalgia or whatever you call it. All three of my .257 Roberts's are built on standard length actions (.30-06 length). Rationally, it would make more sense to turn them into .25-06s to use the wasted magazine space. But the .25-06 just doesn't grab me as the .257 Bob does. So I don't worry about it. I enjoy hunting deer with a .257 Roberts and for me, that's what it's all about.

If you want a .300H&H go get one and enjoy it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well now, I do have to concede that point about factory ammo. To be honest, I didn't even think of that because in center fire rifle ammo, I bet I have not bought 100 rounds of factory ammo in the last 50 years combined. I just aotomatically assume I am going to provide my own ammo.
So you point is accepted and taken.

Brass..............only a problem if you want the head stamp to read "300 H&H"

I just run a 375 H&H through the die and bingo...got it.
No problem at all.

Last edited by szihn; 01/27/18.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
When I was in high school, my dad approached me one day with the cutest little round I'd ever seen. It was a tiny case, with a 17 caliber bullet. He told me it was a 17 K-Hornet, and then went on to excitedly describe the particulars of the case and the gun he'd gotten. He was so excited about that little cartridge. Looking back now, I can see that he sold me that day on cases where the taper had been taken out for both capacity and case life. It was the case shape though, that stuck with me. I suppose that's partially why I've never found the 300 H&H appealing. I have no desire for one, and never did. I'd build a Win Mag long-throated for 3.6" COL today on a 700 if I was after that kind of performance in a 30. To each his own.

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 01/27/18.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The official motto of our little company, riflesandrecipes.com, is "Need has nothing to do with it."
Now there's a motto to hang your Rifle Loony hat on.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
There is a reason I load for over 40 different cartridges and practicality isn't it. In fact I have more die sets I need to get rifles for.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
All .30 caliber components are readily available. Hornady makes cases and have been in constant supply for years. With the internet, finding cases is not a problem.
Loaded factory ammo is limited in comparison to other main stream calibers but not a problem to a rifle loony and hand loader.

It has a better length neck for loading the heavier bullets without losing powder capacity as in the .300 WM.
You can load it pretty stout or mild to suit your fancy. It will NATURALLY feed and extract slicker than most. No custom gunsmithing required to make it digest cartridges like others.
It is capable of extreme accuracy. In the right hands, it has unlimited potential in the field. It has been around for a few years and not withered away like some. With today's bullets/components it is deadlier than ever and keeps pace with the newer.

To me, it is a 63 split window Corvette with a 427 CI. No need to justify it if you can afford it. Sexy can be expensive.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
MLF,

You suffer under a common misconception, that somehow a longer neck prevents a seated bullet from taking up powder room. This is because you (and many shooters) believe all the powder room in a bottlenecked case is below the neck.

It isn't. There's also powder capacity IN the neck. The rule of thumb is that seating bullets about one caliber deep is required to hold bullets firmly. This means that in .30 caliber cartridges, seating bullets more than .30 deep is "losing powder capacity," to the same extent as seating them into the body of the case below the neck. A bullet's shank takes up the same amount of room, wherever it ends up.

But the .300 Winchester Magnum, as Bob Hagel pointed out in the 1970's, also has plenty of room for powder AROUND the bullet's base. The .300 H&H's shallow shoulder prevents this, which is exactly why a .300 Winchester Magnum actually has more powder capacity with a 200-grain bullet seated than the .300 H&H. I know this from actually measuring the powder capacity of both rounds with a 200-grain Nosler Partition seated to the standard industry overall length--not guessing it due to a misconception fostered by many old-time gun writers.
And one of the rules of internal ballistics is that more powder space allows more velocity when cartridges are loaded to the same pressure. It's the same principle involved in internal-combustion automobile engines: There is no replacement for displacement.

In fact, with the same bullet seated to standard industry OAL, the .300 WSM has just about exactly the same powder capacity as the .300 H&H. I also know this from actually owning and measuring the capacity of both rounds, which is why they're both capable of the same velocities, when loaded to the same pressure in the same barrel length. I mentioned an pressure/velocity experiment proving this earlier, which apparently you missed--but it does result in another interesting fact that actually can help .300 H&H handloaders. There isn't much new pressure-tested loading data for the H&H these days, especially with newer powders, because the round isn't very popular anymore. But you can use .300 WSM data for newer powders when loading the .300 H&H. I know this, again, because of actually doing it, not guessing.

I might also mention that while some early .300 WSM's had feeding problems, but they disappeared shortly after the cartridge was introduced in 2001. I've owned several .300 WSM's in the past dozen years, from various manufacturers, and all fed very slickly without any "custom" work.

Yes, Hornady has made .300 brass for several years now, and it's good stuff. But it isn't nearly as available as brass for the .300 WSM or .300 Winchester, and when it is costs more. I looked at the four websites where I buy most of my handloading stuff, and only one had Hornady .300 H&H brass in stock, for $56 per 50 cases. Brass for the other two could be be easily found for $32 to $40 per 50 on all four sites.

Now obviously that cost wouldn't matter to a guy like you, who has a '63 Corvette, but it would to many other people. And this thread is about practical reasons to own a .300 H&H.

I'm glad so many people find owning one a nifty rifle-loony experience, partly because I've been among those, and may well be again in the future. But the practical reality is the .300 H&H is NOT a superior case design, because it appeared when powders were very different than they are today, and there's no practical reason to choose one over a .300 WSM or .300 Winchester Magnum.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
That 300 H&H Classic is back in the classified section for 900.00 with scope

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Absolutely impractical. But I love it for reasons beyond practicality. It’s a Ruger #1, has shot like a target rifle right out of the box. I’ve thought of punching it out to 300 Weatherby, but then I get cold shivers and shakes.

And the biggest reason to have it: It’s lucky!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, my No. 1 .300 H&H shot very well too. But like many rifles over the decades, somebody eventually wanted it more than I did!

John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Practical?? Nah. Want?? For me absolutely! So much of a want I searched & found a New Haven 1990's Win M70 Safari Express in 375H&H as a doner. So I could have a matching pair of Safari Expresses one chambered in 375H&H and one chambered in 300H&H. Both rifles are setup exactly the same, scope, mounts, Teflon coated metal, down to the same rifle sling.
Nostalgia? Yeah! Is the 300H&H as good or better than any other 30 cal magnums? Probably not. Is it more expensive to feed? Maybe. All in all I don't care about that stuff. I've always read everything I could geta my hands on about hunting Africa, which is where my love affair started for Holland & Holland cartridges.
For me they work, period. I can load both cartridges with whatever is laying on my reloading room floor, seat a good bullet on top of it, and both cartridges shoot well. Felt recoil, I think, is less than the younger cartridges using the same bullet weights. Might just be my perception?
I like'm both so well neither will be sold...but passed on to my son.
Of course I'm by no means trying to convince anybody that they need to own a 300H&H. But if you do get one or have one now, I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's a friend of mine who posts over on AR, that has THE most beautiful pair of matched custom rifles by Duane Wiebe in 300 & 375 H&H. Hunted africa with them as well.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hmmm someone else had the same idea?!?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
there is the cool factor....

for some reason, I think the cooooolest looking round I've ever seen, is a
300 H & H with a 220 grain Round Nose on it...

That, LLBean hunting boots, plaid wool coat and hunting cap...

and its 1954 all over again...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Because it is cool as [bleep]! Found a 300 H&H empty case when I was Antelope hunting at 14 and just thought it looked cool. Makes me want to go shoot my 721. It may not be the perfect choice. But it is never a bad one.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jorgeI
There's a friend of mine who posts over on AR, that has THE most beautiful pair of matched custom rifles by Duane Wiebe in 300 & 375 H&H. Hunted africa with them as well.

A more apt description of the other side of the pillow would be hard to find...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
If you want one, get one!!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You could say that about any chambering. I like It, usually feeds smoothly , better than the moderns and puts up good numbers.

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
all this talk about the 6.5 Creedmoor just makes me want a 300 H&H; seems to be a logical Contrarian choice.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Practicality has beans to do with it. Of course it’s performance won’t equal my .300 Weatherby but it is way cooler if it’s in a classic rifle!

Anyone who would not love to own a .300 Holland in a classic rifle should turn in their Rifle Looney Card and maybe their Man Card while they’re at it!

Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by MLF
To me, it is a 63 split window Corvette with a 427 CI. No need to justify it if you can afford it. Sexy can be expensive.

Interesting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by MLF

Interesting.

Was the 427 available in 63?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Nope. It didn't exist yet.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
According to Wikipedia the 1963 engine was a 327. 109 units were built for racing with at least one with an experimental 427 driven at Riverside by Junior Johnson. The 1963 Impala could be had with a factory 427, so it did exist. But maybe not in a production Vette. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I think that was a W engine, not the MkIV.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WAM
According to Wikipedia the 1963 engine was a 327. 109 units were built for racing with at least one with an experimental 427 driven at Riverside by Junior Johnson. The 1963 Impala could be had with a factory 427, so it did exist. But maybe not in a production Vette. Happy Trails

That's how I recall it, I was thinking only in the Impala though. The 427 must of had some issues, since Chevy pulled back production and then released the 396 in mid-65 (not the 427 until later). I had a high performance 396 in a 65 1/2 Super Sport Impala. My brother had a high performance 396 in a 66 chevelle. The main issue with my SS396 was the Impala's aerodynamics. It started "floating" at a little over 140 mph. I had a hard time trying to keep it on a 2 lane road when attempting top end.

They were not perfect mechanically. I had to change points on it about every 5,000 miles. Plugs more often than that. The springs on mine should have beeen replaced as it "settled".

I really liked that car.

Last edited by Bugger; 06/15/18.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And the 396 didn't hold up very well in racing!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only practical if you are gifted one or find one at a price you simply can't pass up.

Can't see any reason to buy or have one built as there are better practical choices on the market.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You kidding me? Heck ya, get one in a old Mod. 70 Super Grade and then go buy another in Three Seven Five H&H and look in the mirror at a happy man!

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Love my Sako FN actioned 300 H&H mag. Shoots as well as any in my collection. Factory ammo is available and cost a bit, have plenty of brass and components so don't care.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I bought one 8 months ago to convert to 7mmSTW, but I have since found some better candidates.

I bought 300 H&H dies and brass... maybe I will shoot it. A friend of mine told me about a trip to Africa and all the things he shot with a 300 H&H.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
...life's just too short to shoot "practical", if I wanted that, I'd have an ugly wife and shoot a 308.

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Jorge - you can’t know how much I love that !!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
...life's just too short to shoot "practical", if I wanted that, I'd have an ugly wife and shoot a 308.

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Jorge - you can’t know how much I love that !!

Jerry

A fellow I knew told me that when you pick a wife think of a station wagon. None of your friends will want to drive it. It is the most practical car to own.
If you pick a sports car, you have no idea how many miles are on it and everyone wants to take it for a test drive. And it isn’t very practical.
I think he was preparing me for when I met his wife.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
laugh laugh laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a semi-custom Rem 700 in .300 H&H that is quickly becoming one of my favorite rifles. I've only killed one elk and a caribou with it, but I really like it so far. It's a long round, even for a magnum so using long, high B/C bullets isn't practical at all if you want rounds in the magazine. It isn't powder efficient for the speeds it gets either.

It is, however, nostalgic. If that kind of thing is important to you than by all means go for it. It is no better or worse than any flavor of 7 or 300 mags from a practical standpoint.

Last edited by T_Inman; 06/16/18. Reason: spelling....again

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I've got a semi-custom Rem 700 in .300 H&H that is quickly becoming one of my favorite rifles. I've only kind one elk and a caribou with it, but I really like it so far. It's a long round, even for a magnum so using long, high B/C bullets isn't practical at all if you want rounds in the magazine. It isn't powder efficient for the speeds it gets either.

It is, however, nostalgic. If that kind of thing is important to you than by all means go for it. It is no better or worse than any flavor of 7 or 300 mags from a practical standpoint.

Please elaborate a bit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mathman, I went and took a look at my reloading data, cause you made me question myself.

With Reloader 22, my H&H is using 70 grains for 2985 FPS while a friend's .30-06 I was playing with was getting 2750 FPS with 62 grains. That's only 235 extra FPS for 8 grains (or 12%) more powder. I guess it is a bit subjective as to whether or not that extra FPS is worth the extra cost in powder and possibly recoil, blast, action length, etc.

With IMR 4831, my .300 H&H uses 73 grains to reach right at 3000 FPS, where my .300 Win is (or was, since I gave the rifle to my nephew) using 74 grains to reach right around the same speed, so these two are pretty close, though both use a lot more powder than -06 or 308 sized rounds. All three of these rifles were shooting the same 180 grain bullet when I wrote all this down.

These are small sample sizes, so if you have contrasting notes, I'd like to hear your thoughts.
My H&H does have 2 more inches of barrel than the other two rifles though. I am not sure how much of a difference that makes.

Last edited by T_Inman; 06/16/18. Reason: clarity

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My dad, the most frugal, utilitarian man on the planet once told me you didn't have to need a gun to buy one, you just had to want it. If you wanted to consider practicality or utility, fine, do so. But, those two variables didn't really matter...the only things that mattered were "want" and having enough money to buy the gun (of course).

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
my bother has a Winchester model 70 super grade made in 1948 in 300 H&H, nothing special but way cool! we were at are favorite gun store checking velocity on the factory boxes of factory loaded ammo and with a 180gr bullet, between the 300 win mag and the300 Winchester super silly mag and the 300 H&H is only 20 feet per second.

Last edited by mooshoo; 06/16/18.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think I would own a 300 H&H just because of the cool factor!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Me too.... Even though I like my 300 WSM it just doesn't have that throwback, retro, coolness factor that the .300 H & H does.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are there practical reasons to own a .300 H&H?

Absolutely not.....in fact, there's little to no reason to own any .30 cal larger than the .30-06....the magnums (all of them) are simply overkill designed to collect hunters dollars.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I’d prefer a 30 Super, myself.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 700 magnum action and a 24" SS 30-06 bbl that is begging to become a 300H&H "parts gun" in an old Brown Precision stock.

It won't be pretty. smile

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’m thinking about getting one. See what you done!

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Love my super 30's .Still have 2 sold my Ruger # 1 on this site.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Mathman, I went and took a look at my reloading data, cause you made me question myself.

With Reloader 22, my H&H is using 70 grains for 2985 FPS while a friend's .30-06 I was playing with was getting 2750 FPS with 62 grains. That's only 235 extra FPS for 8 grains (or 12%) more powder. I guess it is a bit subjective as to whether or not that extra FPS is worth the extra cost in powder and possibly recoil, blast, action length, etc.

With IMR 4831, my .300 H&H uses 73 grains to reach right at 3000 FPS, where my .300 Win is (or was, since I gave the rifle to my nephew) using 74 grains to reach right around the same speed, so these two are pretty close, though both use a lot more powder than -06 or 308 sized rounds. All three of these rifles were shooting the same 180 grain bullet when I wrote all this down.

These are small sample sizes, so if you have contrasting notes, I'd like to hear your thoughts.
My H&H does have 2 more inches of barrel than the other two rifles though. I am not sure how much of a difference that makes.

I appreciate your answer. I asked you to elaborate because I wasn't sure if your comment was about the efficiency of 300 mags vs smaller rounds (which you have made clear here) or if it was the H&H vs other 300 mags. I used to gig my 257 Weatherby shooting friend about how my 250 Savage got better than 80% of the velocity with less than half the powder. grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

The only really practical reason to own a .300 H&H is because there just plain isn't much in this world with that kind of cool factor...

And it IS efficient. It was my favorite cartridge for elk..

When I was doing a LOT of hunting the main battery was a 7x57, a .300H&H, and a .375 H&H...can you tell I like the classics?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Bugger
I think I’d prefer a 30 Super, myself.

grin

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I appreciate your answer. I asked you to elaborate because I wasn't sure if your comment was about the efficiency of 300 mags vs smaller rounds (which you have made clear here) or if it was the H&H vs other 300 mags. I used to gig my 257 Weatherby shooting friend about how my 250 Savage got better than 80% of the velocity with less than half the powder. grin

No problem.

Glad we're on the same page.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The larger the case the less efficient. But then there’s a minimum too. Who wants to hunt caribou with a 300 blackout?

It seems that when one wants to promote a smaller case, the word efficient is brought up.

Yes a 30-06 is more efficient than a 300 Mag, a 308 is more efficient than a 30-06, a 308 Marlin is more efficient than a 308 Win, and a 300 Savage is more efficient than any above.

If it were just for efficiency sake, there would be no more Weatherby’s or belted magnums and 3,000 fps would not be likely.

But others put more priority on velocity.

Where’s your happy medium? If you’re hunting pronghorn, efficiency may not be your highest priority. But if you’re hunting from a stand and will be shooting at 50 yards then an ultra magnum may not be your first choice.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Bugger
The larger the case the less efficient. But then there’s a minimum too. Who wants to hunt caribou with a 300 blackout?

It seems that when one wants to promote a smaller case, the word efficient is brought up.

Yes a 30-06 is more efficient than a 300 Mag, a 308 is more efficient than a 30-06, a 308 Marlin is more efficient than a 308 Win, and a 300 Savage is more efficient than any above.

If it were just for efficiency sake, there would be no more Weatherby’s or belted magnums and 3,000 fps would not be likely.

But others put more priority on velocity.

Where’s your happy medium? If you’re hunting pronghorn, efficiency may not be your highest priority. But if you’re hunting from a stand and will be shooting at 50 yards then an ultra magnum may not be your first choice.

There ya go Bugg. IMO there are too many who miss that point.
Efficiency has its place AFAIC. But efficiency is not the END ALL.

As a personal example,
I like/use the 7 RM and have no complaints BUT

IMO the 7 RUM is over the top. I’m not just referencing recoil, I also shoot/hunt the 8 RM.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Sometimes you just have to quit worrying about efficiency, feet per second, case life, and what other folks say on the internet- and just get out and shoot.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well "Practical" is a word that may be perceived differently by different people.
I earn my living (about 985% anyway) making flintlocks. Are they "practical"?
Yes, if the purpose is to enjoy one more then you might enjoy (as an example) an AK47 or an AR15. Having be as far behind in my work load as 8 years, apparently there are many dozens of men and women that agree.

For customers who disagree within the State of Wyoming, I also have a lot of experience making ARs and AKs too.
Some still prefer a classic Bolt action, like a 98 Mauser, a Lee "Speed" or a Mannlicher–Schönauer. I just made a classic-looking left handed bolt action for a man in 9.3X62 by re-shaping a Ruger M77 Mk2 and re-barrelling it to that caliber with a barrel I contoured to the classic 1910 shape.
Is that as practical as an FN-FAL?

Many will say yeas. Many others will say no.

gnoahhh above may be closest to the real issue here.

Who cares if it's not practical in someone else's eyes.

I have owned and used several 300s in my life. I sold them all except my 300H&H. Why? Because I like it the best. Ballistics are in the same league as most others 300s and I can't tell ANY difference in how well it kills elk than any other 300 at any range.

I just like the classic lines best.
It makes me enjoy the gun more then the other eight 300s I have owned, so to me it's the most practical of them all.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I never said efficiency is the end all. That said, I remain convinced that a lot of folks are over gunned and over scoped.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I remain convinced that a lot of folks are over gunned and over scoped.

Truer words were never spoken. I can't tell you how many nimrods I see in the deer woods armed with magnums of some sort with scopes bolted on that would do a Marine sniper in Afghanistan proud. Do they entertain Walter Mitty-like dreams of mountain-to-mountain shots at sheep, or wish they were staring at a riled up brown bear? I don't get it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nature abhors a vacuum!

Always worked for me

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I never said efficiency is the end all. That said, I remain convinced that a lot of folks are over gunned and over scoped.

I remain convinced that a lot of folks are under-skilled, ignorant, and inexperienced. I am also convinced that much of what most folks "know" is contradicted by facts.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have had several 300 H&Hs. I think it is a really easy to get to shoot round, it feeds smoother than any of my other rifles- even ones of the same make and I just ordered brass for it- Midway or Graffs had Norma brass at about a buck a pop.

I am taking it to Africa in a couple of weeks and will probably hunt with factory 180 grain Fail safe ammo. It also really likes 150 Partition Golds so that is what I will load.

I had Redding make me a custom die. My brass last plenty long now with almost no trimming.

Yes, it requires a long action but it is a hunting rifle, not a target rifle where I am trying to pry the utmost accuracy out of it. When I bought the current one, it was to be a donor for a 375. I made the mistake of shooting it first.

My group of 4 that is headed across the pond next month are taking three 300 H&Hs. My second gun is a 458 Lott. Both are nostalgic African cartridges.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got absolutely nothing of value to add to this thread, but here's my .300 H&H. I really like it so far.
Both of these critters could have easily been taken with a .308 or even a .243, but that's not the point. I just really like this rifle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
szihn said, “Who cares if it’s not practical in someone else’s eyes?”

I agree and it’s great that we have choices and that we are not all alike.
It would not only be boring, but consider the difficulty in finding ammo or
components IF we only had 2 or 3 rifles and cartridges to choose ! !

I’ve had a Rem 700 8mm RM for quite a few years. I’ve hunted it and killed WT
with it..... practical ? NO. Then why, because I wanted to !

ATST what animal is too tough for a 200 gr Nosler Partition at 3100 FPS ?
I’m prepared for anything that I might hunt.

I’ve also wanted to ‘play’ with a 416 RM for a long time. I’m not buying one but
if I did, what diff is it to anyone else?

There are a few smaller cartridges that I have NO interest in owning or shooting.
Some of those are very popular among us loony’s... I don’t criticize those who adore those rounds.

Variety is good for US.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tinman...I thought I was the only one to take a 300 H&H to Alaska caribou hunting.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I've dealt with a bunch of rifles that have even more practical problems, and will again. The official motto of our little company, riflesandrecipes.com, is "Need has nothing to do with it." But for me to deal with another .300 H&H with require running across some REALLY nifty old rifle. I'll then go ahead with knowledge of the H&H's "practical" problems.

And that sums it up pretty well. And is the reason most of us have neat rifles in odd chamberings smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My ugly wife/rifle comments still stand, but I forgot to add this: My pre-war 70 shoots 180gr Partitions, TTSXs and 200gr Partitions to the SAME POI out to 200 yards. Pretty darned practical in my view.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
And that sums it up pretty well. And is the reason most of us have neat rifles in odd chamberings smile

I'm doing some serious downsizing right now. When I'm done will be down to a 257Roberts, 275Rigby, 280Remington and a 300HH for scoped big game rifles, all of which have been eclipsed by "better" more modern chamberings.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Super Cub, are you just now getting ready to use some of those 300 H&H cases that went your way some time ago?

I don't have an H&H but do have a 300 WSM which is ballistically the same thing. It seems to be a nicely balanced cartridge and was easy to get shooting well.

All the best from Ontario.

Jim

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't need one, don't have one, but would like to have one.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
The Holland Super 30 is just cool! If we were all practical we'd dump and our other rifles including the magical 6.5 Creeds and just keep a 30 06 and a 22 Long Rifle. Maybe 1 12 gauge pump for those pesky birds.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
Tinman...I thought I was the only one to take a 300 H&H to Alaska caribou hunting.....

I killed my first Sitka blacktail on Kodiak island with a 300 H&H shooting 150 Partition golds.

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
Hey Super Cub, are you just now getting ready to use some of those 300 H&H cases that went your way some time ago?

I don't have an H&H but do have a 300 WSM which is ballistically the same thing. It seems to be a nicely balanced cartridge and was easy to get shooting well.

All the best from Ontario.

Jim

Hey Jim ..... It's been a while but am finally getting there with this project. Too many sidetracks along the way.

smile ......... Paul

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I had Duane Wiebe build me a .300 H&H because I had 6 boxes of factory ammo. I'm not a math guy but I'm pretty sure that was practical.

[Linked Image]

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
great reason to build a beautiful rifle! grin

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Woodhits
I had Duane Wiebe build me a .300 H&H because I had 6 boxes of factory ammo. I'm not a math guy but I'm pretty sure that was practical.

[Linked Image]

know that's a cool rifle and cool cartridge!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

[Linked Image]

I think we have built rifles with less reason than this! Woodhits, a beautiful rifle by a great craftsman.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Woodhits, love the grain on that stock. What a gem you have there.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger #1's in .300 H&H are fairly rare. Which of course is a reason to buy one, if I ever see one smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Woodhits,

That's a beautiful rifle. Congratulations!

But then, any rifle Duane builds is beautiful!

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
That is a really nice rifle

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the kind words guys. I'll admit that I haven't taken it hunting yet but maybe we can get that done this Fall.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
After seeing this, I just don't know how some of you live with those plastic and stainless rifles, especially in dull calibers.... smile

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Practical or not, this thread inspired me to drag a pre-64 M70 and a Ruger No. 1 out of the safe and do some 300 H & H loading last night. H4831 has been my go-to, but RE 26 is about to get a run...

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hell Yes, if none other than to honor the cool old hunters and target shoot winners from the past that laid the conservation and hunting groundwork for EVERY damn one of us., my pre-64 300 fires 220 gr Partitions at an easy 2750 fps into ragged holes when it's wearing it's old Bausch&Lomb 2.5-10, not bad with the Lyman receiver peep too.

Were it legal to do so, I'd shot any game animal up to Ele and Rino with that combo.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think everyone needs a 300 to go with their 375. This would be my pick for a classic combo for Africa. Might add the 400 or 45 version but they don't have the charisma of the originals.

Now I will dream about a pair of them by Duane until I win the Powerball.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
If I really wanted one, it would be practical to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco

From a pure practical standpoint, the 300WM is a far better choice ....

1. Far more rifles to choose from.
2. Far more factory ammo.
3. Brass is a lot less expensive than the cost for 300H&H.
4. Better selection of dies.
5. More gunsmiths can be found with a 300WM reamer.
6. The more modern case shape would be less prone to stretching than the H&H.
7. More velocity.

BUT .... The 300WM offers way less cool.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a 300 Win Mag and a 300 Weatherby. They aren’t as interesting as the H&H!

Last edited by hanco; 06/24/18.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
No, if that really matters.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 300 Win Mag and a 300 Weatherby. They aren’t as interesting as the H&H!

I would agree with that. Some of my favourite rifles are 257Roberts, 280Remington and 275Rigby. All have been eclipses by better yet far less interesting chamberings.

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
i succumbed to the allure... a 300 H&H X-Bolt Medallion is enroute to my location...

Last edited by Dogger; 06/25/18. Reason: spellin'
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i succumbed to the alure... a 300 H&H X-Bolt Medallion is enroute to my location...

I check online to look at those. Couldn't find them. Prob be a nice rifle.

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
apparently a Shot Show special from a couple years back... enroute from a shop in Wisconsin

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've been looking for nickel brass for mine to load some CT ballistic silver tips because they look so darn cool.

Moe

"Pick out two!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The best answer to that question:

A Democrat would not want you to have it.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SuperCub

I would agree with that. Some of my favourite rifles are 257Roberts, 280Remington and 275Rigby. All have been eclipses by better yet far less interesting chamberings.

OK... I shoot both the .300 Win and the H&H. Please explain why the Winchester cartridge is less interesting than the H&H. If i could have only one it would be the Winchester.

Last edited by johnw; 06/29/18.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by johnw
OK... I shoot both the .300 Win and the H&H. Please explain why the Winchester cartridge is less interesting than the H&H. If i could have only one it would be the Winchester.

For some, the more obscure, classic hard to find chamberings are cool. That's not practical or even rational, but it is what it is. I always wanted to shoot a Yukon moose with a 300H&H.

The Winchester offering is a better choice for a long list of reasons as is the WSM.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

It's ballistically a .300 WSM in a long, tapered case that feeds like greased snot through actions like the 700 that are, at very best, rough and draggy with the WSM.

If you value smooth feeding over short action length, then damned right there's a practical reason to choose the .300 H&H.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
this X-Bolt Medallion is a beautiful rifle. I have some Hornady factory ammo on order with LGS with which to christen the bore. won't even scope it until i adjust the iron sights

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There are no practical reasons other then hunting Big Bears for owning more then a 308 or 30-06.

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Skip a bit, brother; practical is right out.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
As a young lad in the early 70's leafing through my dad's reloading manuals and reading the cartridge descriptions, I was intrigued by this old timer 300. Thus was the beginning of my attachment to that cartridge. Why? It sounded British (Holland and Holland) and looked cool I suppose - and wasn't plain vanilla. Result: a 1954 era Remington 721. A plain vanilla rifle except for "300 H&H" on the barrel - which is priceless. It's nothing but a white tail rifle for me, but I love it - just because I can!

I guess that also explains my #2 acquisition from the same manual - a 338-06.

Moe

"Pick out two!"
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
You need no other reason than you want it. And that is why I have a 416 Rigby.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Well I took a 375 H&H to Africa the first time...worked so well I bought a 300 H&H for the next time....if that ever happens
that is.....and if it doesn't? oh well.....they can sit in the safe and I'll look at them every once and awhile and dream.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RedneckRob
You need no other reason than you want it. And that is why I have a 416 Rigby.

Dang you ! Now I’ve gotta buy a 416 R M. wink whistle

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Like any other rifle/cartridge that can't be found at Wal-Mart, it serves as an excellent jackwagon detector. It works like this: when talking with someone about rifles, mention you own a 300 H&H. If they say "Oh cool! How do you like it?", They're probably an ok sort. The ones that ask why you'd bother to own something so obsolete are jackwagons. Say "Good day." and leave.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Jackwagons" are people as well.

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
ordered 30mm Talley lightweight two piece low mount rings for the X-Bolt Medallion 300 H&H... but can't decide on a scope... or a reticle. I want to stay at or below 42mm objective... Any recommendations?

thanks in advance...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last week, I sent out all the pcs for a Super 30 parts gun. Well used M700 BDL magnum action with a SS 24" 30-06 bbl and an old Brown Precision stock. This will be the 4th rifle I've used that stock for and has become a favourite handle. Scope will probably be an old VariX-III 2.5-8 bought cheeep here on the Fire in Weaver mounts. Dies came locally for 20 bucks.

Pretty sure the results will be a bit ugly but it should be a good "working" rifle.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've read through this entire thread, but I never saw the correct answer to the question. Every day on this board, people want answers about the most efficient cartridge. The best barrel makers. The strongest action. The preferred cartridge for deer, antelope, or lions.

I want you to read this.

Art: the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

Some posters were so close to nailing it. The reason for owning a 300 H&H, a 45-70, a Rigby rifle, etc. is because of its beauty. I like the lines of certain cartridges and rifles. They appeal to my eye. The most velocity doesn't do it for me. Nor does the latest marketing release. It's got to appeal to my eye. I have to get a good feeling from it. That's why I prefer certain cartridges and rifles.

Art is a personal thing. What moves you may leave others cold. But it's still art. Something to be appreciated for its beauty or emotional power. Does it move you?

Without art, there's little purpose to life.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Good point - to add to it, just because something that moves you doesn't move someone else, that doesn't make them wrong or a bad person - seems like something for the 'fire to keep in mind.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Absolutely no practical reason to acquire a 300 H&H today. Lots of cartridges will push a .308-180 out of a 24” barrel at 2950+. The bullet and the target don’t know what pushed the bullet down range.

There isn’t a “cool factor” except in the noggin of the owner.

Reminds me of driving a 50 mile route to get to a place 1 mile down the nearest road.

Last edited by RinB; 01/29/19.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I've read through this entire thread, but I never saw the correct answer to the question. Every day on this board, people want answers about the most efficient cartridge. The best barrel makers. The strongest action. The preferred cartridge for deer, antelope, or lions.

I want you to read this.

Art: the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

Some posters were so close to nailing it. The reason for owning a 300 H&H, a 45-70, a Rigby rifle, etc. is because of its beauty. I like the lines of certain cartridges and rifles. They appeal to my eye. The most velocity doesn't do it for me. Nor does the latest marketing release. It's got to appeal to my eye. I have to get a good feeling from it. That's why I prefer certain cartridges and rifles.

Art is a personal thing. What moves you may leave others cold. But it's still art. Something to be appreciated for its beauty or emotional power. Does it move you?

Without art, there's little purpose to life.

That's a fine post, Steve, and I utterly agree with your point. I remember being a child of 5 years old looking through my father's reloading manuals. Certain cartridges just seemed "cool". I couldn't say way then. I still can't describe the "cool" in exact terms.

I suppose it's like porn, in that it is difficult to define, but we know it when we see it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

[Linked Image]

This is the most beautiful rifle I've seen in an age. Thanks for sharing this with us!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks. And you're right, that is a beautiful rifle!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
SR, I bought the blue/walnut/iron sights X-Bolt Medallion in 300 H&H because it is art to me; the rifle and the cartridge. Woodhit's rifle is in a class all by itself!

Last edited by Dogger; 01/29/19.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
That is a beautiful rifle, like a drop dead woman!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I gotta agree with Steve regarding art. For me some cartridges are right or feel that way. Surely better cartridges are available at least to other’s eye’s. That’s ok with me. Favorite writers had an influence too. Jim Carmichael comes to mind - “280 Remington”. Al Miller, Taylor, and many more. Then there’s writers covering hunting the big bears, all kind of African game, or even elk (not many elk years ago) and even the writers of fiction. “Death in the Tall Grass” comes to mind. Maybe their writings captured the “romantic” factor. Ever read “Hell I was there”? - didn’t that change your outlook?

Dad and his dad had gun magazines back to about 1900. Outdoor Life, American Rifleman and The Arms of Man (?)

My choices/favorites tend to be older cartridges that I read about in my youth.

Rigby and H&H are two that come to mind.

Why the 300 Super and with bronze point or silver tip ammo? Wouldn’t a 300 WSM with a mono bullet be better, perhaps for someone - likely many even.

But that Super also is an H&H. You can’t get better than that in these old eyes.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Woodhits — Gorgeous Rifle ! !

**nothing I print is meant to be critical or negative.

Originally Posted by RinB

There isn’t a “cool factor” except in the noggin of the owner.

I agree about cool being in the mind.....
Sorta like ‘beauty in the eye...’

To me, 284 Win is cool in case shape, moreso than the new kid on the block.

Of all the 30 cal mags, the 300 W M is MY cool. ATST I appreciate the heritage of the H H and the long slender case is handsome.

Someone said, “you pays your money and you takes your pick”.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
they are super cool and old school!!!!!!

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No practical reason, but plenty or emotional and aesthetic reasons.

I built one because a 30-06 is boring, a 300 win mag utilitarian, and a weatherby too blingy.

Mine worked fantastic on my first trip to Africa and the big brother 375 worked perfectly on my second trip.

Arcus Venator
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Asthetics is a practical consideration. What is the world without art? Peace of mind and serenity are practical aspects of life. This is achieved, in part, by having nice things around us. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This beater Rem 300 H&H has the practical advantage of packing far more memories than any of the newer 300 magnums.

Not much to look at, the barrel has been bobbed to 22 1/2", and the front sight reinstalled, but the bore is still bright with sharp rifling. Not sure why it was shortened, but it still starts 180 gr Partitions off at close to 3000 fps.

The most practical reason to use it is you don't have to worry about scratching it up. smile

Ted

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, So your friends and family don't steal your ammo!!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I would be a cool rifle to bring out at the deer lease. None of the guys on my lease has one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have heard more than a few stories involving short stroking a magnum length action. A perfect pair of rifles to hunt the world would be a 300H&H with a 375 H&H or 458Lott, both on the same model magnum actions. Muscle memory would be the same for both under stress.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

Goodness gracious!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Everyone needs a 300 H&H

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by szihn
The idea that when a new shape of shell comes out that the old shell suddenly stops working right is just dumb.

The 300 H&H is at least as good today as it ever was and with modern powders it's actually better.

I have made so many 300s of various types that I have lost count of them. 300 H&Hs 300 Win mags, 308 Normas, 30-338s, 300 Weatherbys, a few 300 Ultras and so on. In the field I can't tell the difference in any of them as to how well they kill. In fact the fastest ones are the ones that seem to present the most problems in loads and bullet performance if you don't pay attention tot he details.

I have paired down my 30s to a 30-30, a few 308s, a few 30-06s and one 300, which is an H&H. I sold my last 300 Win mag a few years ago. It had a 26" barrel on it. I chronographed it along side my 300 H&H and there was no practical difference at all. In fact with my 200 grain loads my H&H is actually 12 FPS faster.

Both rifles shot under MOA.

The 300 Win Mag was on an M70 Winchester and my H&H (one of 3 I have owned) is on a Mauser which I just like the looks of better.
So I kept the 300H&H.

"Practical" is not something that entered my mind because there is nothing impractical about it any more than any other 300.

If total practicality was of any concern to me at all, I would probably only own a 308 Winchester and a 30-06 and forget every other 30 cal ever made.

But "practical" is not a concern to a gun buff.

Enjoyment is the 1st concern.

All good and true, but the practical aspects keep rising to the top.
WSM and Win Mag ammo choices and availability world wide

If I had a 300 H&H M70, I’d be very tempted to either rebarrel, or recharmber to 300 PRC

Twist, Leade and throat geometry would tip the decision towards a Match tube
Rechambering would indicate a 300 WBee

But would I really have a better hunting rifle ? Maybe not.

At the end of the day that long magazine would nicely accommodate a.375 WBee

They are all HandLoading propositions.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Funny. I had a dream last night that a relative brought over some old ammo, and when I looked at the headstamp it was 300 H&H. Then the first thread that pops up when I log on is this one. I guess I need to get one.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The old 300 H&H will still be killing game in the future. The latest flash in the pan cartridge will be forgotten. But the old 300 will always work. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, it will wok, and work well. After all it is a .30’06 +

What concerns me, in the practical sense, is the investment value of that Pre ‘64, or 721 etc.

Versus my lust for a 300 Norma gong blaster 😉

What sort of practical value is there in an original 300 H&H takeoff barrel ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cv540
Funny. I had a dream last night that a relative brought over some old ammo, and when I looked at the headstamp it was 300 H&H. Then the first thread that pops up when I log on is this one. I guess I need to get one.

I had a similar nightmare :

My uncle came over with a can of corroded 270 ammo, that he had come across in his wine cellar.
And a Savage 270 Win in similar condition.

Now if it was 280, or 260 I could understand ...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by 338Rules

What concerns me, in the practical sense, is the investment value of that Pre ‘64, or 721 etc.

Just post it for sale. Ought to last about thirty seconds.

Ted

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Yukoner
This beater Rem 300 H&H has the practical advantage of packing far more memories than any of the newer 300 magnums.

Not much to look at, the barrel has been bobbed to 22 1/2", and the front sight reinstalled, but the bore is still bright with sharp rifling. Not sure why it was shortened, but it still starts 180 gr Partitions off at close to 3000 fps.

The most practical reason to use it is you don't have to worry about scratching it up. smile

Ted

Is that even legal ? 22.5” minus 3-7/8” = about 17-3/4 “ of practical bore length ,
considering the scratches in the rifling at the muzzle from cleaning too exuberantly from the front end.

🥴

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Just post it for sale. Ought to last about thirty seconds.

Ted

I was hoping to drag it out a bit longer, and subsidize the rest of the build ,
Somewhat, to offset my grief in the loss of a classic barrel.

The Art, as Steve puts it so well, is in the sum of the parts. Not the dispassionate disassembly.

😢

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]

Ted

Is that even legal ? 22.5” minus 3-7/8” = about 17-3/4 “ of practical bore length ,
considering the scratches in the rifling at the muzzle from cleaning too exuberantly from the front end.

🥴

Whoever had it before I got it took very good care of the bore; bright with sharp rifling all the way, and still able to put a mag full into five inches at 300 meters, that's 328 yards for our friends down South, on our silhouette range.

You enjoying the cold in Alberta? Finally warming up here, -28 this morning. smile

Ted

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
-39 this AM in Cold Lake.

That is one sweet H&H, if stocks could talk. Just joking about the bbl/ bore length.
Ever since C68 I’ve been sarcastic and twitchy.

What scope is that ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A Lyman All American 4X, probably older than the rifle. Somebody evidently took care of the scope, as well as the bore.

[Linked Image]

Yes, I'm sure both the rifle and the scope could tell us a few things about hunting.

With apologies to the OP for the brief hijack.

Ted

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the .300 H&H is an old Mod. 70 Supergrade with a 25" tube and a 4 round magazine I consider it a very "practical gitterdone" set up I would like to have on my wall.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Evidently rifle loonies have very different definitions of practical than most humans. However, esthetics and panache are not generally considered practical considerations, though that doesn't mean they're not valid reasons. Even whether some cartridge/bullet combination kills big game isn't necessarily "practical." Hundreds of smokeless-powder cartridges have killed big game consistently in the 130+ years since the 8mm Lebel was introduced.

I have owned, handloaded and hunted with several .300 H&H's, including a pre-'64 Model 70 Winchester, Ruger No. 1, and a custom rifle built on the Winchester 70 "classic" action. I really liked every one of them, but eventually somebody who wasn't particularly practical wanted them more than I did, whether for esthetics, panache or that mysterious something the French call "je ne sais quoi," which basically means something indefinable.

I'm pretty much done with the .300 H&H, not because I'm so damn practical, but because they sated my desire for esthetics and panache in that particular realm.I have not sated my desire for esthetics and panache in other rifles, but that doesn't mean when I buy, say, a .303 British Ross (as I did a few months ago) that I am being practical. I may be being historical or curious, and panache may even have something to do with it. But aside from the fact that .303 ammo and brass are far more available than .300 H&H, it is not practical.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What is that expression about ignoring history, and being doomed to repeat it.

MD has often mentioned that the 300 WSM has the same case capacity as the H&H.

One of our former liberal francophone prime ministers, who was famous for literally talking out of both sides of his mouth at the same time, While mangling the English language often said
“ Led Me Say Dis about Dat”

The action length has changed, but the ballistic results are virtually identical.
The short action is lighter, stiffer, quicker handling. But oh does that Magnum H&H feed !

If someone else was carrying it for me, I’d much rather have a pair of 26” CRF M70 s in 300 & 375 to deal with what happens.
My 2 boys come to mind. Better get synthetic stocks.

Practical isn’t just about logistics and economics.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
to me, the biggest reason is twofold...

1. the nostalgia
2. the cool factor which is off the charts.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
This thread is a derivative of the classic "which cartridge is the best?". And, by definition, a rifle looney cannot be practical.

Cartridges are not judged solely on their shoulder angle, name, case capacity or killing power. If that was the case, no one would have bothered developing anything after the 300 H&H. There was no practical need, according to some. What one man considers practical, another considers frivolous. I think 25 calibre cartridges are a waste, but I must defer to the needs of others. The practicality is there. It just doesn't fit my version of it.

This is an excerpt of an article that was written by freelance writer Beth Goldowitz. I have edited it. Consider that attracting buyers and convincing them to buy a 300 H&H rifle meant catching their eye and appealing to their need. There was no Internet or fancy colour magazines. That 300 H&H had to catch your eye, and encourage you to ask about the capabilities of the cartridge with the shop owner or gunsmith. Anyone who examined an 300 H&H was concerned with the actual use of the cartridge. The esthetics of the design were clear.

This continues today. The medium may be different, but cartridges still need to get noticed. One might argue this is more important today because of the number of cartridges available in a crowded marketplace.

Here's what Beth says.

Is there any practical purpose to art?

Art communicates. The stone carvers who worked on Notre Dame could have made simple waterspouts, but instead they carved elaborate and fanciful gargoyles, to communicate the horrors of hell and encourage people to turn to god for salvation. Is that practical? It is if you’re a member of the clergy, who relies on your position in society to be clothed, fed and housed through the donations of wealthy patrons and poor parishioners alike. It is if you’re one of the hundreds of craftsmen working on the cathedral, because that money pays your wages and feeds your family. It is if you live in the town where the cathedral is built, because cathedrals draw pilgrims, and pilgrims need to eat. They need roofs over their heads. They need places to stable their horses. They need food and supplies for their continuing journey. As anyone who lives in a popular tourist town knows, tourists are good for the economy. That’s practical.

It communicates through time, so we can look at 18th century paintings and figure out how people cooked in the time period. It communicates personality, so we can look at Velasquez’ Portrait of Juan de Pereja and see the relationship between the painter and the slave he would manumit soon after painting his portrait. We can look at quilts made by slaves that illustrate stories from the bible for people who were forbidden to learn how to read. Some people think slave quilts communicated information about the Underground Railroad, but we don’t know for sure.
---

Old cartridges, inlaid and carved wooden stocks, unusual, old metal gun sights, trigger guards, or engraved side plates are communicating through time. Once, they attracted buyers who spent money and bumped up the economy. They still do today. They are also of value to historians, collectors or anyone who is interested in hunting and firearms.

The 300 H&H is practical, if it satisfies your needs.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Seafire

1. the nostalgia

As SteveR says, it’s not the shoulder angle, which necessitated the H&H belt for headspacing.
But the long neck & shoulder from cordite days, which makes it so cool,
un-WSM or perhaps un-Rum even.

Usually it’s the long magnum action , with a classic stock, and stunning performance that is the art.
The whole is greater than the sum of the parts, which all work in concert.

I could be very happy with a cf arsenal that consisted of 6mm/244Rem, 280 Rem,
And a pair of 300 + 375 H&H CRF .All matched, of course.

No need for high pressure throat burners.

Just steady pointing , with clean slick feeding for follow ups.

Cheers

Last edited by 338Rules; 02/06/19. Reason: Fat Fingers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SR - didn’t Mr.Elwood Epps have a 25-303 Improved cat ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had one barrelled up on a No4 Mk1 by Bevan King. It was very accurate, but a demon to get to feed Never did get it to handle more than two in the magazine.

That was enough though.... grin

Ted

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I know it's already been said but ...

IMHO, yes. The .300 H&H and .300 WSM are near identical once the bullet leaves the barrel. Some actions, like 700s, really don't feed WSMs very well. I've had 2, was dissatisfied with both. Though you have to go with a long / magnum action, 700s feed the .300 H&H slicker than snot on a buttered doorknob. (Not that a .300 Win Mag might not be an even easier alternative.)

However, nostalgia is a pretty suitable reason. I like muzzleloaders, single shots and lever actions, single action revolvers .. why wouldn't I like the .300 H&H? Truly, what's not to like?

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
SR - didn’t Mr.Elwood Epps have a 25-303 Improved cat ?

Yes. And all of the improved cartridges that Ellwood developed from the 303 British had 35 degree shoulders. Ellwood and Parker Ackley used to write back and forth, comparing notes. Some of their correspondence was about improving various cartridges. Ackley originally used the 35 degree shoulder angle, but switched to 40 degrees, Ellwood used the 35 degree angle and stuck with it. Ellwood developed ten improved cartridges based on the 303 British case.

There are often feeding problems that result from changing the shoulder and decreasing the body taper. People like Ackley and Epps were experimenters and in some ways helped advance mainstream cartridge development.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had one barrelled up on a No4 Mk1 by Bevan King. It was very accurate, but a demon to get to feed Never did get it to handle more than two in the magazine.

That was enough though.... grin

Ted

I wonder what EE would do to solve that. Those mags have the taper built in.

I’ve often thought about converting an 1895 Winchester in 30-40 Krag, to .303 B ,
or some semi-improved variant

303 British - another great , no venerable cartridge with a cachet of nostalgic cool .

Last edited by 338Rules; 02/06/19. Reason: 3 Cheers for the 303

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, yeah. I have two, the sporterized No. 4 Mark 1 Lee-Enfield inherited from y father's brother Larry, who purchased it at a Coast to Coast hardware store in the 1950's, and an also sporterized Ross 1910.

Had a Ruger 1A for a while, which shot very well, but didn't find it as cool as the old rifles.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S

I’ve often thought about converting an 1895 Winchester in 30-40 Krag, to .303 B ,

303 British - another cartridge with a cachet of nostalgic cool .

Ellwood would have changed the magazine follower. Because there is less taper with the Epps cartridge, the issue follower pushes the cartridge up too high and the bullet tip catches on the upper part of the chamber. It cannot be pushed forward into the chamber. At one time, he did have target (flat) followers that sat in the top of the mag over the existing follower. That made them single shots.

The simplest way to lessen the problem was to load a 303 British cartridge in first, and no more than two Epps cartridges in on top.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Seafire

1. the nostalgia

As SteveR says, it’s not the shoulder angle, which necessitated the H&H belt for headspacing.
But the long neck & shoulder from cordite days, which makes it so cool,
un-WSM or perhaps un-Rum even.

Usually it’s the long magnum action , with a classic stock, and stunning performance that is the art.
The whole is greater than the sum of the parts, which all work in concert.

I could be very happy with a cf arsenal that consisted of 6mm/244Rem, 280 Rem,
And a pair of 300 + 375 H&H CRF .All matched, of course.

No need for high pressure throat burners.

Just steady pointing , with clean slick feeding for follow ups.

Cheers

the coolest round I think I've ever seen, was a nickle plated 300 H & H with a 220 grain Round Nose.

I'm partial to the old 30/40 Krag with a 220 grain RN and the 303 Brit, with a 215 grain RN.

The 220 grain RN on the 06 case is always my favorite in the 30/06.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Practical?

I think the poster who surmised it might help you more quickly spot interesting vs. less interesting people to talk guns with had a point.

If a single man, I think you might attract a more worthwhile class of woman, one who understands and appreciates old school cool as opposed to the latest wundercartridge.

Yah, I'm not being completely serious. But neither are bad reasons!

Just think Steve McQueen's Jaguar XKSS and roll with the concept.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
^^^^

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Practical, no, cool yes!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Practical cats are usually a simple neck down of highly available brass.
.20-223, 7mm-300Win, Bushing dies complete the picture

Conversions of the H&H case were numerous, 308 Norma, .30-338 come to mind
Usually shortening it to fit into the more commonly available .30’06 length magazine.

Much more Practical . Loaded to higher pressures, they met velocity goals.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Ted[/quote]

303 British - another great , no venerable cartridge with a cachet of nostalgic cool .[/quote]

One of these days I'll get around to posting photos-There's one in each chambering living here. The 303 gets used rarely, as it's an original Winchester, it does go hunting in nice weather, though. The 30 US is a Miroku built piece, gets used a fair amount, and qualifies as one of my better gun show finds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Well, yeah. I have two, the sporterized No. 4 Mark 1 Lee-Enfield inherited from y father's brother Larry, who purchased it at a Coast to Coast hardware store in the 1950's, and an also sporterized Ross 1910.

Had a Ruger 1A for a while, which shot very well, but didn't find it as cool as the old rifles.

That 1A should’ve either been boxed as an “ investment “, or “ improved “.
Not cool enough ? Too heavy I think would be one issue.

I’ve heard rumours of SxSs that have been converted to the Brit, but never seen such a gem.
Again I think barrel weight with inserts would be an issue. Love to carry it for Moose in bear country though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

303 British - another cartridge with a cachet of nostalgic cool .

Ellwood would have changed the magazine follower. Because there is less taper with the Epps cartridge, the issue follower pushes the cartridge up too high and the bullet tip catches on the upper part of the chamber. It cannot be pushed forward into the chamber. At one time, he did have target (flat) followers that sat in the top of the mag over the existing follower. That made them single shots.

The simplest way to lessen the problem was to load a 303 British cartridge in first, and no more than two Epps cartridges in on top.

Op - sorry for the 303B hijacque

SteveR - Thanks for filling in some details for me. I’ve seen/heard of some smle’s converted to 308Win, but they always had a different box magazine. Not sure if barrels were changed too. ;-)

Still for nostalgia, my Jungle Carbine tops the list. Vicious kicker that one.
Folding buttstock with an appropriate height cheekpiece couldn’t hurt.
Not worth the heartache of improving the chambering, or playing with taper.
Tough to improve on practical perfection of a packaged design.

Any improvement in that regard would have to be verified by maintaining the legendary rate of aimed fire against case stretch and extraction issues.

Win ‘94 and .30-30 , another classic 30

Super 30 Practical ? Maybe in the right package. 26” Ruger #1, Yes definitely. Pre ‘64 Sure
H&H or Rigby ? Out of my league, but not out of place.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

A local friend (who has more money to "invest" in rifles) has a .303 British double. Can't remember the make, but no surprise, it is a British gun.

Some of the rifles I've invested in that I'd kind of like to keep get sold because somebody reads about them in a magazine article, and makes an offer I can't refuse.

Ruger 1A's are pretty light rifles. With the scopes I typically put on 'em, they almost always weigh under 8 pounds.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
...Op - sorry for the 303B hijacque

SteveR - Thanks for filling in some details for me. I’ve seen/heard of some smle’s converted to 308Win, but they always had a different box magazine. Not sure if barrels were changed too. ;-)

Still for nostalgia, my Jungle Carbine tops the list. Vicious kicker that one.
Folding buttstock with an appropriate height cheekpiece couldn’t hurt.
Not worth the heartache of improving the chambering, or playing with taper.
Tough to improve on practical perfection of a packaged design.

Any improvement in that regard would have to be verified by maintaining the legendary rate of aimed fire against case stretch and extraction issues.

Win ‘94 and .30-30 , another classic 30

Super 30 Practical ? Maybe in the right package. 26” Ruger #1, Yes definitely. Pre ‘64 Sure
H&H or Rigby ? Out of my league, but not out of place.

It was my pleasure. The magazine had to be changed because the 7.62x51mm cartridge had different dimensions than the 303 British. The barrels were also changed to .308 diameter.

The reason why the No 5, commonly referred to as the Jungle Carbine, was uncomfortable for some people to fire was because of the stock pad. The cartridge is a pussy cat unless the buttplate is removed and a shorter, narrower, hard rubber pad was substituted. It's like the designers didn't test it before giving the go ahead for production.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
John, Is practical ever mentioned in the definition of "Rifle Loony"? Just curious.

And this probably should have ended this thread right there.

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
No. In fact, I would say by definition a rifle loony isn't primarily concerned with practicality, except in the very basic sense that a chosen rifle, cartridge and bullet should kill game.

But that's pretty much a given with the vast majority of rifles, cartridges and bullets these days. You have to try pretty hard to find something unsuitable for taking deer, or even elk.

Instead rifle loonies look more for other stuff, such as the right color stock (whether wood or synthetic), a feeling of self-worth for being such a fine judge of appropriate rifles, and however they define panache.

Interestingly, most dictionaries define panache as flamboyant confidence, or verve or dash in action. This is because the historical meaning was a plume of feathers worn on a headress, hat or helmet. But quite a few loonies seem to think it means conservative style.

John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Damn, I have to stick a feather in my M70 300.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Or your hat--or headdress....

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

There's really no reason to own one, unless you just got to have it. The reason i say no is because brass is harder to find than most other comparable 300 magnums, it's harder on brass because of the steep taper, just about any other 300 magnum beats it in performance. With this being said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with owning one, if you already have one. There's a lot of nostalgia and cool factor in the H&H. I'm actually doing something I've been wanting to do for a damn long time and re-chambering one of my rifles to 308 Norma magnum, but it falls in the same category as the H&H. Great old cartridges with history, but probably not the best choice in 300 magnum that's available these days...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe

The only really practical reason to own a .300 H&H is because there just plain isn't much in this world with that kind of cool factor...

And it IS efficient. It was my favorite cartridge for elk..

When I was doing a LOT of hunting the main battery was a 7x57, a .300H&H, and a .375 H&H...can you tell I like the classics?

I just thought it was because you are really old....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SuperCub

From a pure practical standpoint, the 300WM is a far better choice ....

1. Far more rifles to choose from.
2. Far more factory ammo.
3. Brass is a lot less expensive than the cost for 300H&H.
4. Better selection of dies.
5. More gunsmiths can be found with a 300WM reamer.
6. The more modern case shape would be less prone to stretching than the H&H.
7. More velocity.

BUT .... The 300WM offers way less cool.

I'd take a 300 WSM over a 300 WM.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 160user, 16Racing, 67 invisible), 3,100 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,147
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.