Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

The wife wants to tour Ireland on our vacation this year. We are going to book with a tour company that visits a route near the coast, around the entire island, Ireland and Northern Ireland. This will probably be the only time that we will visit Ireland in our lifetime. My question is should we extend our stay, rent a car and visit places that the tour doesn't? What say those who have been there? What say those who live there?

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I spent part of a summer in 2001 with my family in Belfast in Northern Ireland teaching a graduate course for a U.S. university. If you're skirting the island along the coast, you'll probably pass through Belfast and CarrickFergus Castle and get a good taste of the country. The country roads are often narrow and use round-a-bouts at intersections. It takes some getting used to to drive with the steering wheel on the "passenger side". Be sure to see the Giant's Causeway on the north-most point on the island. Beautiful scenic area! Even though there was still some internal strife going on when we were there, we found the country and everyone we met to be terrific. But we were careful of what areas of Belfast we visited...no different than visiting a U.S. city these days.Have a great trip.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not a fan of group tours but some folks love them and it does take the stress off for planning but gets rid of a lot of opportunity to see things off the mainstream. Ireland is so easy to get around in that I'd certainly do it on your own.

We went for 10 days last spring and had a wonderful time. Flew into Dublin and spent 2 1/2 days there (Churches, Guiness, Post Office, Historical Prison etc). Caught the train to Cork and saw the sites like the english market (city double decker bus out to Castle Blarney. Wifi enabled, clean and safe busses). Rented a car at the airport and went to stay at country house in Mallow where we relaxed and I did some trout fishing. Drove the coast up to Galway via the Cliffs of Moher and such and turned the car in. A couple days around Galway (loved it) and then train back to Dublin and a day in Dublin and home.

People are amazingly friendly. Scenery, especially the west coast, is stunning. English is the most common language followed by Polish.

Navigation with good map and GPS was easy and although it had been a decade since I'd driven on the left it was no big deal and I returned the car in the same condition I rented it (still, get all the insurance! grin )

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
when we were there, your US insurance didn't count, you needed the Irish insurance. They said only 3 countries have that : Ireland, Israel, Jamaica

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sycamore
when we were there, your US insurance didn't count, you needed the Irish insurance. They said only 3 countries have that : Ireland, Israel, Jamaica

Correct. I checked with USAA and they advised getting it through the rental agency (Budget) and we did.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B2

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
KC be interested to hear your thoughts when you return, my wife and I are going over for our 35th anniversary in 19.

Y
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Y
My late wife of almost 50 years made 3 trips to Ireland, all after turning 65 and alone except 1 trip.
. First trip was booked thru a travel agent and was a typical bus tour type, which she enjoyed, but not so much some of the pita people on the bus.
Second trip another bus tour to a different area, and this time our daughter went along, which made it more enjoyable for her.
Third trip was over the time frame of her 70th birthday, she went alone, rented a car, stayed at the numerous bed and breakfast homes, and had the most enjoyable trip of all traveling where she wanted and at her own pace. She loved Ireland and the Irish people, so much so, that
when she died very suddenly due to an accident, we decided that a part of her should be in Ireland. So our daughter and son in law made another trip, went to a nice park they had visited together on the earlier trip and made that happen.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
We did it. We rented a car and toured the country. We stayed at B & B in whatever town or village we were at that night. Took just a couple minutes to get used to the driving. Smart phones will get you any where you want to go. I liked being able to stop when and where we wanted to. Lots of wonderful churches and castles to tour. Cliffs of Moher are a great stop. We use a app on our phones called Travelzoo to make all our travel plans. PM me if you need more info.

Long live the NRA
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
yobuck,sorry about your wife, sounds like she was a adventuresome lady! Has anyone traveled Ireland by train?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by yukon254
yobuck,sorry about your wife, sounds like she was a adventuresome lady! Has anyone traveled Ireland by train?

We traveled from Dublin to Cork and Galway to Dublin last spring by train. Clean, on time and reasonably priced. Speeds in the countryside were up to about 120 MPH but very smooth. Some trackbeds were a little submerged but most gave you a great view of the countryside. We'd do it again.

IC B3

Y
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by yukon254

Actually she wasent an adventuresome type at all. But after having been there, she felt secure enough by what she had seen to do the car trip alone. Now it is true she had lived her life either in or near the city of brotherly love, where every body locks their doors before entering. lol

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Spent a month one summer touring Ireland with a rented car. Easy! Ditch the tour. As others have said B&B's and small country hotels abound. (Contact the Irish Tourist Board and they will provide you with all information / resources you need.) One word to the wise .... Don't even think about kissing the Blarney Stone .... rumor is that the locals have been known to piss on it!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
yukon254,

When my wife and I toured Ireland in 2007, we did some by public train and bus, and some by car. The public transportation was inexpensive and comfortable, and ran on time!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sycamore

As an aside PHUQUE EUROPCAR!!!

I have rented a huge number of vehicles over the course of my life in a bunch of different countries. Aside from the obvious "Wrent-A-Wreck" places never had the first complaint. Europcar changed all that. I will go out of my way to explain what low-life dirtbags they are!!!!!!!!

Anyone wishing to ask, please do!

AT&T sucks in Ireland, BTW...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Thanks for all the info, looking forward to seeing the green isle.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I lived in Dublin in 2000, and was lucky enough to travel the whole island, including Northern Ireland.

You didn't mention how long the tour is, but you can't see it all in a week. There's a lot of fun to be had in there. The people were great and it's a fine place to visit.

Bring rain gear.

Group tours can be great if you're all on the same page, but the one group tour I've done had people constantly bringing up the rear and slowing things down.

Car rental is easy. Driving a standard car with the stick on the wrong side is a bit odd but you soon get used to it. As MD mentioned, public transportation is good there. Their trains are very good.

I especially enjoyed the west coast. If you like to fish, fishing with a gillie, or guide for a salmon trip, could be great fun.

In Northern Ireland, a black taxi tour of the Belfast area is a great way to get a sense of The Troubles. It's sobering and worth doing.

Feel free to PM me.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

What's the most common type of fuel for autos in Ireland?

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
think we rented a diesel, seemed like no problem finding fuel.

check out this book, I recommend it if you are planning your own trip

dk eyewitness travel guide ireland

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Pay the extra money and rent a car with an automatic transmission. I drove nearly 800 miles trying to get used to shifting with my left hand after driving standards over here all my life. I got used to the left side thing, after a few near misses, but I never got use to the shifting left handed. We sort of just "winged it" and just town hopped across the whole Eastern half of the Island. I didn't see all I wanted to because we went to the UK too. This was in 1997, so things are probably a bit different now. The one thing that surprised me was how good the food was nearly everywhere....even little pubs, etc. It isn't cheap by any means, but it was good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KC

The wife wants to tour Ireland on our vacation this year. We are going to book with a tour company that visits a route near the coast, around the entire island, Ireland and Northern Ireland. This will probably be the only time that we will visit Ireland in our lifetime. My question is should we extend our stay, rent a car and visit places that the tour doesn't? What say those who have been there? What say those who live there?

KC

KC I've been there four times and did the rental car/B&B's three of the four times. A tour will give you an overall look at the Island but if you want to discover the 'real Ireland' and get to meet some real Irish folks, the way to do it is by car and B&B's in the country and villages. My fourth trip was an extended stay in the village where my gr. grandparents came from (Doonbeg) in the West. I found a house to rent by the month and stayed there for two months and met some distant relatives. The locals could not have been nicer or more helpful. After a couple of days the store and pub owners, along with the local priest could greet me by name. I became friends with a local farmer who had a wealth of historical and current political information. If you are looking to get a flavor for the 'real Ireland' you will have to get out into the country and away from Dublin, Belfast and the other larger towns. The big cities are a melting pot at best & most of the bartenders and patrons in the pubs/cafes are not even Irish!

No doubt your tour will feature the major points of interest in the cities or nearby and you will stay in hotels which can accommodate large groups. I would look closely at the tour route and see what they are offering then get a Frommer's tour guide book from your local book store or on line, then map out your own extended-stay tour to include points of interest that the main tour doesn't include. The Frommer's book will list several B&B's in each village as well as those on some farms, along with contact phone numbers. The ladies who run the B&B's are quite interesting and I'm sure your wife would enjoy talking with them. They love to chat and are a good source for local information. Good cooks, too!

PM me if you want further info.

Paul

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
KC,

did you go to Ireland?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
KC: Have been twice, the first time with a company called Overseas Adventure Travel (OATS). Flew into Shannon, toured the west and south of Ireland with our American born but Ireland relocated guide, then extended our stay in Dublin for a few days. The weather in the summer was grand for the most part. Second trip: flew into Dublin just before New Years for someone's retirement party. Spent more time in Dublin and areas nearby, but the weather was challenging. Stayed at the Shelbourne in Dublin and there are lots of hotels in or near the city center. Had a guided tour when one of the local taxi drivers (John) was willing to provide this service.

Lovely people & a lovely country. Clothing is quite expensive so pack thoughtfully. I was unwilling to consider living there due to the way they treat women, but recent changes to their abortion laws have made life better. If European banks leave London due to a hard Brexit exit most will head to the continent, but Dublin may prosper. The issue of the border with Northern Ireland border may be tricky since Ireland remains an EU country. Enjoy yourselves!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
All of my family are descended from Irish Travellers. I am American born and live in a house, though. I want to visit Ireland and see the homeland. One day maybe.

Last edited by Theeck; 08/21/18.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm going in May with my girlfriend and her cousins (all Irish decent) with CIE Tours. Will be a motorcoach tour with stops in Dublin, Donegal, Galway, Dingal and Killarney. Have a full day in Galway and a couple half days along the route with nothing on the schedule so looking to do side trips of some sort on our own. Any suggestions?

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tmitch
I'm going in May with my girlfriend and her cousins (all Irish decent) with CIE Tours. Will be a motorcoach tour with stops in Dublin, Donegal, Galway, Dingal and Killarney. Have a full day in Galway and a couple half days along the route with nothing on the schedule so looking to do side trips of some sort on our own. Any suggestions?

Liked Enis so much we spent an extra day going to pubs for Trad music and wandering around. The Old Ground Hotel is where we stayed and it was nicely centered for walking around town. The roads large enough to accommodate anything larger than a compact car are few and it leaves you with no way to get to the better, smaller venues. The Hill of Tara was very cool and the Island of Innishmore (one of the Aran Islands) was very worthwhile. Caught a ferry and spent a night there. In our case the fact we were from AK seemed to resonate with virtually every one and we had a great time with very friendly folks.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 45 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,291
Posts18,467,947
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.