K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
.280AI twisted right will do anything you need it to

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve been back and forth between 30-06’s and 300WSM’s for years in multiple platforms. There isn’t a lick of difference in how they kill. I’ve come full circle to the 30-06 and find it easy to shoot as much as I like. I use less powder and since I’ve gone to a scope that allows me to shoot as far as I want, the MPBR zero advantage of the WSM is a non issue. They are both great calibers! Built up a scary accurate load with 155 Scenars at 3150 and it will be my mule deer/Elk load for the coming years.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
If you’re liking the 30-06 then I’d stick with it. With all of the great Bullets and powders available I’d be just fine with it set up to take 500 yard pokes. 180-200 Accubonds, 190 ABLRS, and similar slick Bullets in the 2700-2800 range will hammer Elk. The 300 WSM might be a smidge faster than the above, but not enough to matter. The Bullets yiu feed it mean more than the case most of the time.

Scotty, he may be like the rest of us and needs to find out for himself. One of my buddies started out on the 06 (like I did), when he was 12. Then decided to give the 308win a try (in 2009) and loves it. He says it kills just as good as the 30-06. His poor old sporterized 1903 just sits in the safe now. Then about 4-5 years ago, he says he wants to try a "magnum". He says he wants to keep it a 30 cal, since he's thinking about getting into reloading. My best suggestion at the time was 300WSM. He's still using that rifle and that's the one he takes to the range most of the time. It's a winchester extreme weather and he's had a rough time with the rifle. It used to be a copper fouling biotch, but now it's settled down to a sub moa shooter. He took a nice cow elk with it in Idaho last month and still thanks me for suggesting the 300WSM. I don't know if he's going to revert back (like some of us do) to the 30-06, now that he has his 308win and 300wsm????

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I’ve been back and forth between 30-06’s and 300WSM’s for years in multiple platforms. There isn’t a lick of difference in how they kill. I’ve come full circle to the 30-06 and find it easy to shoot as much as I like. I use less powder and since I’ve gone to a scope that allows me to shoot as far as I want, the MPBR zero advantage of the WSM is a non issue. They are both great calibers! Built up a scary accurate load with 155 Scenars at 3150 and it will be my mule deer/Elk load for the coming years.

Good post. I know there are a few of us here that have reverted back to the 06 and accept it for what it is...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by copperking81
Looking to pick up a new toy but I'm on the fence and can't decide. I like the idea of a 300 wsm, with it's edge on performance, but having never shot one, I'm concerned about the recoil. Recoil in the field isn't a concern but I want a gun that I can spend a day on the bench shooting without feeling like I got hit by a truck.

I've owned 300 win mags and 30-06s and found the 300 win mag to be tolerable but not fun to shoot all day. 30-06 for me is much more pleasant to shoot but the I've been looking a lot more into the 300 wsm and it sounds like it would get me the added performance with *possibly* a noticed drop in recoil compared to the 300 win mag. Gun would be an M70 and I'll probably put a McMillan Hunter stock on it.

In the field it would be used for elk and mule deer up to 500 yds, but will see a lot more range use for paper punching fun.... basically needs to do both duties. I reload and cost difference isn't a concern to me.

So if you were me, what would you go with?

I would go .30/06.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Looking to pick up a new toy but I'm on the fence and can't decide. I like the idea of a 300 wsm, with it's edge on performance, but having never shot one, I'm concerned about the recoil. Recoil in the field isn't a concern but I want a gun that I can spend a day on the bench shooting without feeling like I got hit by a truck.

I've owned 300 win mags and 30-06s and found the 300 win mag to be tolerable but not fun to shoot all day. 30-06 for me is much more pleasant to shoot but the I've been looking a lot more into the 300 wsm and it sounds like it would get me the added performance with *possibly* a noticed drop in recoil compared to the 300 win mag. Gun would be an M70 and I'll probably put a McMillan Hunter stock on it.

In the field it would be used for elk and mule deer up to 500 yds, but will see a lot more range use for paper punching fun.... basically needs to do both duties. I reload and cost difference isn't a concern to me.

I would go .30/06.

If you were going jack rabbit hunting.. I'll agree.. BTDT too... grin

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
For jackrabbits nothing smaller than a .460 Wby,you know that,BSA. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K

I've got one in a Browning BAR with a synthetic stock that I retired to the safe because of the recoil. It was a gift from my dad, so I can't sell it. You'd think it wouldn't be bad in a BAR. A few shots, no problem. But I sat behind it on the bench a few times and put 20+ rounds down range and it was brutal. As a result, I started flinching, so it went in the safe and went back to my 280 REM. I will say the synthetic stock on the BAR is horrible and I couldn't find a good recoil pad that would fit it. And I never considered myself recoil sensitive but maybe I'm getting soft in my old age.

”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well I used a 29-2 a lot, loaded with 240gr. hp's.... Furthest shot on a running jack was 200 yards... You really had to lead the sombitches, at that range... I always packed my 30-06 for backup too... grin

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
I could not hit a rabbit with a handgun at 20 paces,standing still too boot. wink

That's what the .460 is for.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a Model 70 FWT in 300 WSM cut down to 23" bbl and in an Edge stock with a Swaro Z3 on top. Perfect handling rifle that I wouldnt change. I got it for a close handling elk and mountain type rifle. It really is not that bad off the bench. Its a hunting rifle that I dont shoot a lot at the range. It has never bothered me and I really dont find the recoil that noticeable with factory Nosler 180 NABs. Sure, it pushes but it is expected. Technically, it probably does have more recoil than an '06 but if that was the deciding factor, I would probably choose a much softer recoiling cartridge than either a 30-06 or 300 WSM.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
No contest....30-06

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I could not hit a rabbit with a handgun at 20 paces,standing still too boot. wink

That's what the .460 is for.

grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
Less recoil from the short case.

How does that work with everything else being equal ( bullet weight, velocity, rifle weight etc)?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze

I've got one in a Browning BAR with a synthetic stock that I retired to the safe because of the recoil. It was a gift from my dad, so I can't sell it. You'd think it wouldn't be bad in a BAR. A few shots, no problem. But I sat behind it on the bench a few times and put 20+ rounds down range and it was brutal. As a result, I started flinching, so it went in the safe and went back to my 280 REM. I will say the synthetic stock on the BAR is horrible and I couldn't find a good recoil pad that would fit it. And I never considered myself recoil sensitive but maybe I'm getting soft in my old age.

I had a wood stocked BAR in 300 Win Mag for a while. That rifle ended my fascination with the cartridge. Even in that heavy of a rifle, it kicked me like a young mule. Maybe it was stock fit, because it kicked worse than the Rem 700 that I traded for it. I knew if I'd kept it, I would have developed a flinch that I'd have had a tough time getting rid of. I have a BAR Longtrac in 30-06 that's not bad at all.

I've also owned on 300WSM and used it to kill the first and largest buck of my like. I just couldn't warm up to the cartridge and eventually traded it. My hunting partner owns it now and enjoys it, but did tell me it's the only rifle he's ever shot that showed a tremendous difference in recoil with different bullet weights. He refuses to shoot 180s out of it, 150s aren't bad at all.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Having been there done that, here's my suggestion: I'd buy the 300WSM and build it exactly how you want it, or how you are envisioning it. Kind of like the one I had:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You'll find the 300WSM recoils right between the 30-06 and 300WM, which is not bad and can be tolerated for a bench session and some field shooting. I probably wouldn't fire off more than 50 rounds per day, personally... That may just be me though... My biggest gripe with the 300WSM vs. the 30-06 is the amount of ammo you can stuff into the mag box. This may or may not bother you, but its likely going to be 3 vs. 5 when you are comparing similar rifles (lets say winchester model 70 CRF). The 300WSM cartridge is known for its "inherent" accuracy, but I've never had a bad shooting 06 either... I will say, either cartridge will get you past most sane hunting distances when the rifle is set up properly for long range shooting and still have plenty of horsepower to get into the vitals and cause DRT's. So the extra added power of the WSM is almost a moot point when comparing it to the grand ol 30-06. I'd also add, if you want to shoot your 300 wsm more, put it in a stock with a higher/parallel comb, like a brown precision. Or bansner, if you don't want to pay Brown's prices. That type of stock will mitigate recoil much better than the Mcmillan hunters compact:
[Linked Image]

I know a lot of us have been in your shoes and I would not sway a person one way or the other and say one is better than the other. That's something you will have to learn for yourself. And if you are like many of us here, that thought of "needing" that 300WSM, won't go away until you actually have one in your hands. Just be warned, if you started out on the 30-06 don't be surprised if you give the wsm a good honest try and then find out the 06 will do everything the wsm will do. But it will do it with less expense, more rounds in the magazine and less recoil. I still say buy the 300WSM and learn this on your own. Good luck with it...

Is the blue stocked rig a Winchester Coyote Light? That's the platform I'm considering. I'm not a fan of the factory Bell & Carlson stock... any idea what I could sell if for?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Copperking, the rifle with the blue stock was a 2008 limited edition with an extreme weather barrel. I'm not sure about the value of your b&c stock. I did sell a factory b&c from an ew for $150...

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Copperking, the rifle with the blue stock was a 2008 limited edition with an extreme weather barrel. I'm not sure about the value of your b&c stock. I did sell a factory b&c from an ew for $150...

Gotcha, thanks! Somewhere around $100-150 is about what I figured it would fetch.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I recognize recoil perception varies greatly from shooter to shooter but for me, there was a world of difference between the 30-06 and 300 WM.

So let me ask the question in a different way... for those that have experience with these cartridges, would you say the 300 wsm recoil is closer to the 30-06 or 300 Win mag?

Id say recoil is more towards 300wm. I like the 06. I had a 300win mag and the recoil wasn't horrible, I wasn't able to concentrate as well as I could with the 06. Sold the Win mag eventually. Id pick a 30-06 over WSM but it's subjective.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've hunted with 30-06 since 1975. I started using 308 about 10 years ago and really like the round. Modern 308 loads beat WW-2 era 30-06 loads by about 100 fps. I'll never say anything bad about 30-06, but just don't see me going back. My 6 lb 308 has exactly the same recoil as my 7.5 lb 30-06 and my 7.5 lb 308 has 25% less recoil than my 7.5 lb 30-06. My 308 will kill anything I'll ever hunt out to at least 400 yards. My 30-06 or a 300 WSM will do the same thing farther, but about 400 is as far as I can shoot.

I did run across a deal on a Winchester 70 Classic in 300 WSM several years ago. I REALLY liked the round and if I didn't have such a sentimental attachment to 30-06 would probably say it is the better round.

You can push em faster, but I got best accuracy with my 300 WSM and 180's at about 2950 fps. That is only about 50 fps slower than typical 300 WM loads but about 150 fps faster than my most accurate 30-06 loads at about 2800 fps. About 250 fps faster than typical factory loads. Yea, I know some people push all 3 faster, but this is where I found best accuracy.

While the 300 WSM was closer to 300 WM performance I calculated recoil right down the middle. Both my 300 WSM and 30-06 weighed 7.5 lbs scoped. Assuming a 300 WM at 7.5 lbs as well I got:

30-06 22 ft lbs recoil
300WSM 26 ft lbs recoil
300WM 30 ft lbs recoil.

I've owned 300 WM in the past and can say that I noticed the 8 ft lbs difference in recoil between 30-06 and 300 WM. But I honestly never noticed the 4 ft lbs difference between 30-06 and 300 WSM. I know it is there, but I honestly never noticed it.

How much a different rifle weighs, and how hard you push loads can make things different. But those are the numbers on my rifles.

While I really liked the rifle, and 300WSM round I just found that I rarely took it hunting. I'd pretty much decided on 308 as my go-to round and just didn't need it. When I had a chance to sell at a profit I let it go. But if I were a younger hunter, with no sentimental attachment to 30-06 I'd probably keep a 300 WSM over 30-06. I know I'd take 300 WSM over any other 300 magnum.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 44 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,506
Posts18,452,583
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.