-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I see you live in Ga and want to drive to Idaho and hunt some of the wildest steepest country out there. It's what some of us call "ignorant country". Once committed to dropping down into one of those canyons getting back out will be your trophy.
A while back I read an article by a retired outfitter who had guided in all of the mountain states. He rated Idaho as the most rugged. The mountains aren't as high as some of the others but he said that the valleys are lower and it's the steepest of the bunch. In some states, once you get high you stay there but in much of Idaho, you're constantly having to go from way low to way high. I can sure verify that the Sawtooth/Boulder/Pioneer/Lost River ranges are pretty nasty. When the flatlands wrinkled up to form mountains, Idaho got a lot more wrinkley.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BluMtn
If You can also go west of Elk city toward the Buffalo Hump and further west to Gospel Hump. Or you can go south through the community of Dixie and head down to Mackey Bar on the salmon and wonder around there.

That's an interesting drive and transition from heavy almost rain forest to a more arid drainage as you near the river. Dixie is a unique place and no doubt voted Trump 100%...maybe more.
grin

A good way to hunt the area is sitting at the top of clear cuts and just waiting. You'll probably see deer, elk, and moose cruise by.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by BluMtn
If You can also go west of Elk city toward the Buffalo Hump and further west to Gospel Hump. Or you can go south through the community of Dixie and head down to Mackey Bar on the salmon and wonder around there.

That's an interesting drive and transition from heavy almost rain forest to a more arid drainage as you near the river. Dixie is a unique place and no doubt voted Trump 100%...maybe more.
grin

A good way to hunt the area is sitting at the top of clear cuts and just waiting. You'll probably see deer, elk, and moose cruise by.

They don't play banjos there, but I think they tune them there. If you want to be left alone Dixie is the place you want to live.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hear the wolves are moved in there since I hunted whitetails down along the Clearwater.

LOL
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
That area is not for the feint of heart. Having said that, there are still some good elk to be had up there if you want one badly enough to work for it....and work it will be.

This is a bull I found up there a couple of years ago, in the middle of the area you're sniffing around.

Dave

[Linked Image]

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
IC B2

175rltw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I hear the wolves are moved in there since I hunted whitetails down along the Clearwater.

This and misjudging what the crowds do are all I’m really worried about. Especially in the place I’ve really got my eye on. It’s going to hurt when I get in there and it’s standing room only. No elk no deer and of
Course... not even any wolves anymore.
In my life I’ve blessed with the opportunity to develop extensive backcountry experience and the accompanying skill set in several states in this country as well as in mountains somewhat further afield. I feel adequately mentally and physically prepared for the experience, no matter how poorly it goes.

175rltw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by iddave
That area is not for the feint of heart. Having said that, there are still some good elk to be had up there if you want one badly enough to work for it....and work it will be.

This is a bull I found up there a couple of years ago, in the middle of the area you're sniffing around.

Dave

[Linked Image]

Tantalizing

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've hunted the area 5 times Killed a couple of Elk was on a couple kills Most years with my group. You can use ATVs on the forest and most of the fire trails. So packing may not be bad if your lucky. We hunted down most days. We always had livestock as my uncle had mules. Wolves got pretty bad last I heard. Used to be hard to get a tag after 1st of Dec. but I see they don't have that issue anymore

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by brucebruce
I've hunted the area 5 times Killed a couple of Elk was on a couple kills Most years with my group. You can use ATVs on the forest and most of the fire trails. So packing may not be bad if your lucky. We hunted down most days. We always had livestock as my uncle had mules. Wolves got pretty bad last I heard. Used to be hard to get a tag after 1st of Dec. but I see they don't have that issue anymore

I'm not trying to be disagreeable and I dont know what you call a "fire trail" or where you're getting your information, but the Nez Perce-Clearwater has the lowest percentage of motorized trails of any forest in Idaho. Just something for the OP to keep in mind.

It's not a particularly motorized friendly area where trails are concerned.

Google "trails.idaho.gov" of you want to look at access in this regard.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm not trying to be disagreeable and I dont know what you call a "fire trail" or where you're getting your information, but the Nez Perce-Clearwater has the lowest percentage of motorized trails of any forest in Idaho. Just something for the OP to keep in mind.

Dave

Correct

It is a good place to have a sturdy 2-wheel deer cart, however, since there are many blocked logging and FS roads you can use to cart out the animal. It's not hard to hunt down to, and drag down to the many closed roads.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
One of the things I like best about Idaho is the areas accessible on foot on closed FS roads. Easy walking and navigation, even during tough weather makes this old man happy. Being able to get into good country free of ATVs and road hunters is a rare treat. The NR license for deer. bear and wolf is the best deal in the country and makes for a 7 month season. In case you didn't notice, I really like Idaho.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sounds like you have had some luck.
Good job.
Were you in unit 15?

Have Dog

Will Travel

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Camped in 15 hunted Too. also hunted in 16 a which no ATY were allowed, in Sept season If I recall was the B tag. I liked the 16a season as it hit the Rut.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

Dave
May be now but 10 years ago the area I hunted was full of motorized vehicals; most were snowmobile trails infact 16a was the only place you couldn't use motor vehicals Saw Game wardens 2 out of 5 times no issues

Last edited by brucebruce; 01/23/18. Reason: mistake
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
If I recall the fire road which was the boundary of 16 a and 15 was a ATV trail. Which my uncle who worked for the forest service called them. I'm no expert on the area just hunted in 15 and 16a 5 times. Stopped going do to do other hunts. I'm also lucky as I have Family there. Does anyone know if the reno club is still open in Elk city? Used to drive in to watch football and a burger at least once a hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reno is closed.
16a-17 have been wiped by wolves.
Game moved to the breaks.
That is where the locals go.
Hopefully it will rebound.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm speaking in generalizations here.
I'm sure with livestock and hard work you could find some game in the wilderness areas.

Have Dog

Will Travel

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Too bad about the Reno club. Last year I was there wolves were getting bad, We saw some before the season came in. it was strictly SSS not that we shot any we didn't . But the local guys encourged it/

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It's funny,as I started to respond to this post, Elk City ambulance was being called to respond to a medical problem.Ya,I live by and spend virtually 100% of my time in the Elk City/Dixie area.I try to spend as much time as I can(atleast a month) in the summer in that area getting firewood.I take my time and enjoy the area...The wolves have made an impact for sure and they virtually run the streets of the town at night.Ate on a few horses of a friend and chew on the dogs..No love lost for wolves in that area and little chance of getting ratted on if someone made a mistake and dusted some.I used to deliver logs to the Elk City mill before it went down.

It is a big area and there is no way one could read it right by a map.For the most part,all the old logging roads are gated and locked come hunting season but it gives some mighty good walking into some great country.It seems the game moves every year,either from hunting pressure or wolves.They hang around town in the winter for protection and spread out as spring comes.It's always interesting to see where there at come spring and summer.

A couple years ago my wife and I were sitting in camp waiting for my son to get off work and show up hunting because he had the only tag for that area.We chose another tag for an area real close.As we sat there by the fire sucking on a cold beer the dogs growled and got all defensive..I thought it might be a moose that was hanging around but I grabbed my rifle in case it was one of my favorite wolves in the area.Dang..A big 'ole bull trotted through the river and just stood there staring at the dogs at maybe 50 yards...Talk about being a good samaritan...I scoped it as it just glared at the dogs...That was hard to pass on, but I am a law abiding citizen.(laughing)..It waddled on and up the hill to live another day..My son never did make it as he was sick and my wife strongly suggested we leave before I did something stupid....She rules and we left under my not firm enough objection...

I have alot of pictures of that area and some of Elk out the window of our trailer and Wolves, but I haven't messed with photobucket much since there choice to screw us without warning....I might try to fetch a couple and post them here for you if I can get the chromebook to co-operate.

Jayco

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

295 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 338rcm, 31 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,338
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.