Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
In my experience the extra length of a suppressor most definitely interferes with handling. I highly recommend shortening a bolt action rifle barrel to 16-18" if it will be run suppressed, as doing so will keep similar OAL to a "standard" hunting rifle. The balance point will still be pushed out further forward, helping with off-hand shooting, but not so far as to make the rifle unwieldy if a decently heavy scope and mount are used.

What makes for a really nicely balanced and not overly heavy suppressed bolt action hunting rifle is to start light - something like a Barrett Fieldcraft or Kimber Montana or Adirondack. Cut/thread the barrel, or buy one of the 18" Barretts or an Adirondack. Mount a 6-7", 12-14 ounce can. Then use a scope such as an SWFA 3-9, Nightforce SHV 3-10, or similar in good mounts - those scopes weigh 19-21 ounces, brings the balance point back a tad, and most importantly won't need to go back to the factory every couple years due to zero loss or tracking issues. This combination makes for a quiet to shoot, light recoil rifle, which also has a scope setup that will maintain zero. All of this in a rifle with an all-up weight between 7-8 lbs, and an OAL similar to many other 22-24" bolt action rifles.

Cartridge selection for an suppressed hunting rifle (or SHR) should be based on intended game, range of shots, and logistics (just like cartridge choice for any other rifle), but one should keep in mind a velocity range with bullets of interest and choose a cartridge that will match those speeds with a shortened barrel. For instance, a short barreled 30-06 is likely to turn in velocities at or slightly below those of normal factory ammo in a standard length barreled 308. Just something to keep in mind when building an SHR.

Totally agree. After trying 22 and 24" barrels with a 6" suppressor for a year or two, I sent them to the gunsmith and had 4-6" cut off. Much better for handling, packing, getting them in and out of a vehicle, etc... I've never once wished for the extra inches back. Unless a guy was to give up on using a can and wanted to bring the balance and lost velocity back. As a side note, I lost about 25-30 fps per inch cut off..

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cut my 06 from 22" factory down to 18". Lost around 100 fps, but is shooting great and so much more comfortable with the UL7 on it. Velocity with 180s is 2680ish in 20 degree weather.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
tag

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
18” seems the sweetspot for suppressed hunting rifles.... at least those based on the .308 case.

I’ve been 17”, 18”, 20”, and 22” with 8” cans... and I like 18” the best.

Here’s a standard Ruger American 7/08 cut to 18” and threaded 1/2x28, with a 8” SilencerCo Harvester (top) and a RAR Predator 22” .243 with an 8” Suppressed Armament System Ti Arbiter suppressor (Bottom). Top rifle is under 48” long, and under 7.5lbs all-up.

Top rifle is set up for Suppressed big game hunting, and wears a 3-9x40 Leupold in DNZs. I shoot 140 TTSX at about 2650 out of it. It works well unsuppressed too, I killed a bull with it this year unsuppressed.

Bottom rifle is for play and vermin, SWFA 3-9 in Low Talleys. 55s at 3850 and 105s at just under 3k.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Does it still take about a year to get the suppressor?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My suppressor a Griffin Armament Recce 7 lives on a 10 1/2” PWS AR-15 most of the time. I’ve also used this one on a GAP-10 in .308 Win, Ruger Ranch 7.62x39, and a 6.8 SPC AR. All of these are shot supersonic....why might you ask that I use a suppressor?
1. Noise for the shooters ears and those who may be around him or her.
2. Recoil Reduction... IMHO, Suppressors work better than any muzzle brake made
3. Quicker follow up shots due to the recoil reduction
4. Watching the bullet impact the animal or target... due again to the recoil reduction
5. Reduces Flinch response. I have young people shoot and I don’t want to create any bad habits.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Dan I misread what you said and was quick to be a smart azz. I should have read slower. Sorry.

No worry, I've heard worse from drill sergeants. laugh

And I note that the barrel choppers generally are fitting a can to a bolt action or some other platform with a longish action, so maybe that's where the schism develops? Not a brag, just a matter of the chosen path I suspect, but the Sneezer has a 19" barrel and the .22 RF barrel is 20". The former was so constructed based on minor consideration of interior ballistics efficiency. The latter because the 20" .22 Short barrel was perfectly functional on the Contender frame. Were I to thread the .30-30 barrel (22") I wouldn't chop it. With the Sneezer barrel and can installed the gun is 39" long and weighs about 6#, scoped and loaded.

In general terms a centerfire repeater action will add 6" or so to a rifle's overall length so I sorta get it about chopping those back a bit. I've only shot four legged critters more than once on two occasions in my life and the single shot theory worked. Might change my tune if hunting dangerous game.

Ol Mike said he was looking for what I will characterize as "light and handy" if I recall correctly, and the T/C Contender is all of that. I don't know it he can cobble one of those up for long range shooting because the Generation 1 frames are limited to moderate pressures. Gen 2 frames are not. Too, there are any number of alternatives which can rock and roll across the zip codes. Ruger #1, Low Walls, High Walls, Handi Rifles come to mind. The only other caveat is muzzle diameter and what size adapter will fit properly without compromising structural integrity and precision. Pencil thin barrels are NOT the playground for suppressors.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JGRaider

It didn't for me , just a couple of months and I had mine .But who knows - maybe others weren't as lucky as me on that .

Dan , I have a H&R 444marlin that I really like but thinking about getting one of the ruger ranch 450marlin Bkollock3470 mentioned .

Would like to have a Can that will work on every firearm I own .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a silencerco suppressor on a standard rem 700 7 mm. Nothing cut off the barrel, and it has a night vision scope. I have found that the suppressor eliminates roughly 2/3 of the noise, and 2/3 of the recoil. That is with 140 grain corelokt hand loads. I don't lose sight picture after the shot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm using a SilencerCo Omega on several of my centerfire rifles. Its pretty lightweight and compact at 13oz and 6" long in direct thread configuration. Sound is great, its as quiet or more, than many other cans 1-3 inches longer.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I just picked up my latest In early January, it was 150 days on the nose from when they cashed my check to the the day it was approved (another two weeks or so to make it back in the mail). Individual submissions are running around 5 months right now, trust applications significantly slower at 9 months. I honestly think things will speed up in the next 6 months or so, it's probably not a bad time to file.

You can look at self reported times on the chart on the page below

http://www.nfatracker.com/nfa-transfer-time-tracking/

Originally Posted by 30338
Cut my 06 from 22" factory down to 18". Lost around 100 fps, but is shooting great and so much more comfortable with the UL7 on it. Velocity with 180s is 2680ish in 20 degree weather.

That's interesting to hear, I've been trying to decide on a caliber for my dedicated suppressed elk rifle, been considering .30-06, .300 WSM, .280/.280AI, but I think I've settled on another '06, it's just so hard to beat the balance and economy offered by that round. I was thinking 20", but from your numbers, 19" sounds like a sweet spot for what I want.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 01/28/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mike, I'd say either of those will work but I'd give favor to the .450 only because of better bullet selections for long range. Possible plus on the .450, if you cast your own, a barely subsonic 500 grain chunk of lead will do the trick at 300 yards and you might have the best of both worlds. 300 grains in the .444 might do it too, but I've not spent any time examining that scenario.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gtscotty

I just picked up my latest In early January, it was 150 days on the nose from when they cashed my check to the the day it was approved (another two weeks or so to make it back in the mail). Individual submissions are running around 5 months right now, trust applications significantly slower at 9 months. I honestly think things will speed up in the next 6 months or so, it's probably not a bad time to file.

You can look at self reported times on the chart on the page below

http://www.nfatracker.com/nfa-transfer-time-tracking/

Originally Posted by 30338

That's interesting to hear, I've been trying to decide on a caliber for my dedicated suppressed elk rifle, been considering .30-06, .300 WSM, .280/.280AI, but I think I've settled on another '06, it's just so hard to beat the balance and economy offered by that round. I was thinking 20", but from your numbers, 19" sounds like a sweet spot for what I want.

Its a nice rifle and always shot well. Figured I would be aggressive on the chop. Now overall length of barrel is still 24" and its quite pleasant to shoot. Has my wheels turning on chopping a few others. Also rules out ever thinking about another fluted barrel as that is only thing stopping me from chopping my 7mm.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks Dan

Also should have said [forgot] I did not get a Trust , it appears that is a slower process .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Harvester and have used it on 223 and Grendel AR's, I like it and new rifles need to have threaded barrels if at all possible.

The wait was long for me, about a year but I just got in before the trust deadline.

What is more irritating is having to carry paperwork to prove I paid a "tax" to protect my hearing and reduce noise pollution, actually it's dumber than dirt.

I have been having a blast shooting a Spectre II on a RAR and 22/45 Lite, the 22/45 is pretty darn loud especially with Stingers.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,660
Posts18,455,690
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.