24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well,it doesn't happen as often as it used to,because I've scratched most of my itches. But tonight,I got that feeling all over again.<P>A pard brought over his new baby,according to the official scales,she went 8.25lbs. What a BEAUTIFUL creature!!<P>He was surely rubbing salt in the wound,as it had been a while,since my last baby. But once a proud father,you never forget the emotion and tend to share in the other guy's glee.<P>He hid this one well(he has many),because I did NOT know he was expecting. Things like that happen,when you are away from home(I was at Camp,he away Commercial Fishing),we hadn't touched base that often as per our usual. <P>I guess the timing was right and his wife VERY understanding. Thinking about it made sense,as it is nearly Xmas and their Anniversary falls next week. Some guys have all the luck!<P>She was crafted with obvious loving care,surely made in the daylight! A joy to hold and a treat to look at. It still had that unmistakeable sweet smell of innocence(soon to be forever lost,as it IS unavoidable)and had a sheen as only a newborn does.<P>Yep,he hit this one on the head and he commented immediately,how it was SURELY his favorite. That despite a slight "look" from his Wife,as she overheard the remark. I'm sure she was hoping the other offspring couldn't hear!<P>It sure is a pleasure to admire another man's treasure. My only wish,would have been to watch in,on the conception. He generally lets me lend a hand,but this time he performed solo. I graciously bow to the Master.<P>She is a S/S short action 700,chambered in 243Ackley. It has been blueprinted and barreled with a Douglas AG 1-9" twist,24" long,S/S blank,turned to a #2 contour. She has a recessed crown and the entire barreled action received the heavy blast treatment. It is nicely nestled within a BEAUTIFUL blue/white marbled swirl McMillan Remington Classic stock,replete with Decelerator. On top,it wears Leupold dual dovetail bases and rings and tucked within is a Leupold 3.5-10x40mm Tactical scope,with duplex reticle.<P>Our tastes are quite similar,regarding overall tastes in rifles and components used. I believe his to be the finest looking Utility Grade Hard Hunting Rifle,I have ever seen(and I think a couple of mine are pretty damn good). I'm jumping up and down jealous and he had to wipe my drool,of his rifle! What a very beautiful specimen.<P>I'd seen a photo of a similar colored stock,in one of Steve Timm's articles in Varmint Hunter magazine. I'm a huge fan of the two color swirl pattern in general,but this one took the cake. My Wife absolutely loved it(perhaps some leverage there?).<P>We are slated to take it to the range mid-week and wring it out. If it shoots to within 50% of it's racy looks,he'll be a force to be reckoned with. I now know,what my next rifle will look like. When given a chance,I'll post a photo. I think some folks here,may like it's appearance as well. How much better could it get,than that rifle,loaded with nickel cases and sporting those wicked blue 85gr bullets?!?<P>Now get your minds out of the gutter and go back to pulling each other's hair,debating the same old topics(grin)...........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
BP-B2

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stick,<P>Sounds like a nice rifle. I'm not jealous though, as Spike has set me up with that Winchester M70 Safari Express rifle he posted about.<P>Gotta send him a check and a copy of the local sporting goods store FFL.<P>I know it's not practicable around here, but I've had a strange desire for a nicely blued rifle.<P>Can't hardly wait!<P>iron sights...<BR>barrel band swivel...<BR>cross bolts...<BR>375H&H...<BR>left-handed action...<BR>big "claw" extractor!... (had to throw that in there [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img])

Brian

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
BW,<P>Congrats on the new aquisition. I know how hard it is for you southhanders,to find rifles you like. <P>Will this serve as your primary Bear Whacker? Or is it more of a play toy? Have you had a 6-bits before? Hard to fault that chambering,even in a Winchester(grin).<P>I just had my bubble burst,in a most profound way this evening. I had all my honey-do's completed and was sorting through my stuff,trying to formulate a plan of attack for Monday. Guess what?!? A guy knocks on the door at 9:30PM and says,"be ready for work,in the morning". My Wife gives me the look,implying that an extra 6wks of work is more important than my tirelessly Hunting the Rut!<P>So I cave in and say "yes",but I need a day to get my tools in order(I'd spent today putting them away). What a bogus deal! Here I was soooooo close to freedom and BANG,they(different outfit)got me back to work.<P>She's happy,but I'm in a SERIOUS pout. I informed her that if she truly wanted me to do this,it would cost her another rifle. She said,"but you ALREADY have two coming"(the PFD HK clone and the 223Ackley). I told her that she didn't know the rules and this unpacking of the work tools,is no light matter. Further,that the PFD rifles,really didn't count,because they are essentially free. She did the math and we struck an agreement.<P>Now I need to find myself a donor 700 short,to get the ball rolling! It just hasn't been my year.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stick,<P>Sorry to hear your heading back to work. [img]images/icons/frown.gif" border="0[/img]<P>I'm headed to the sporting good store in the morning, I'll look in the used rack for a short M700. Don't recall seeing one there last week though.<P>Yep, this is my first 3/8 inch bore rifle. I've wanted one since before my 416 Taylor project. Those long slender "banana's" just look so cool. I'm not sure if I'll take it hunting around here. The stainless "short .416" is more up to the task of riding around in an open skiff. This rifle will be reserved for the nice days and hopefully a trip to South Africa!<P>Now I need to find a way to get Reloader 15 in 5lb containers! [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]<P>Hard part is going to be scoping this rifle. The wife is not gonna be pleased if I ask for another $400!<P>Anyone want to trade a Leupold DGR scope for a Leupold 2.5x8 EER scope? I got one mounted on an Encore, and I never use it.

Brian

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stick,<BR>You sir are a sick and twisted man.<BR>I share your disease and rue the day when a cure is at hand....<BR>Comparing rifles to voluptious women, combined with the pride of a father looking at a prodigal offspring.....<BR>May all your rifles inspire lust my friend,life is to short otherwise.<BR>Cheers!<BR>E4E<BR>P.S.<BR>I like 'em a bit fat in the ankles like the 6.5X55!!!!<BR>E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Stick- wish I had known your wants. I just parted with a Rem 700 BDL short action for $270 and it was of good vintage and smooth as silk action. (yes, he is a very good friend, thus the give away price). I'll keep my eyes open for another one.<P>BW, I'll send photos tonight of "The Beast".

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Spike,<P>I'm ALWAYS interested in beater 700's,short and long actions,boltface not important. The uglier the better. I'm hurting for long actions now,because I have 3 McMillan stocks inletted for them,lying about(Mountain Rifle,Classic and an HTG). I ran out of actions!<P>So anytime you stumble across someone's abused rifle,keep me in mind. Always interested in 700 shorts,with the 223 boltface as well. Cash,dicker or trade,I'm easy.<P>You downsouth guys,get ALL the deals(grin)............

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stick,<P>No autofiring Remmy's in the local sporting good store rack today. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] Say, I thought you were working again?<P>Spike,<P>I sent ya an e-mail, the check in the mail! Thanks <B>so</B> much for setting me up with the Winchester!<P>E$E, (still like the way that types [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img])<P>Hillary has fat ankles....

Brian

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
BW-<P>I picked her up and she's niiiiiiicccccce!<P>Stick-<BR>No good deals on LA 700's. I'll keep looking.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
BW,<P>Needed a day to put my gear back together,getting a job at 9:30PM leaves little time that evening,to situate gear. That doubly so,when your heart isn't in it! I gotta change spark plugs,grind chains,regrind bar rails,change starter ropes,clean/replace air and fuel filters and just go through them in general. Just maintenance,with a fine tooth comb.<P>Yes,please keep your eyes peeled,for one of those auto-boltrifles!(grin)......<P><BR>Spike,<P>I appreciate your taking the time to look. I may get your digital still camera instead(would make more sense),just hard for me not to want another rifle...........<P>PS..,Tex sent me a picure last night,of what is most certainly a Beast,but I do not know if it is "The Beast" you mentioned. His was a scantily clad,VERY hairy Afghan Beauty Winner(Miss Afghanistan 2001). While no rival for your "sister in Law",she does have a certain air about her. In fact,I'll now send it to you(GRIN)...........

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
BS-<P>I was the unfortunate recipient of that beast last night on my home email. I didn't know she was Ms. Afganistan...figured she was from Alaska. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] <P>To cure your burning eyes take a look at "God Bless America" thread at the fire.

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
#11 thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's rifle?<P>Spike, thinkin' that beauty was from Alaska makes you want to move here..don't it.pak

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Pak- <P>uh, no. <P> It makes me thank the good Lord I'm married to my wife. That creature in the picture looks like something out of Rusty-gunns stories.

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Spike, I forgot to add the [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img].pak

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Pak- I know, no smilies needed. Just good hearted ribbing between friends.<P>I still say she could be Alaskas finest. (wink wink, chuckle chuckle) [img]images/icons/tongue.gif" border="0[/img]

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Spike, oooohhh that hurt like a double shoulder hit, from an X, shot from a pink rifle!!pak

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did see something interesting in one of the stores, a SXS 16 ga 9.3X72R, w/ exposed hammers, and a mere $1250. I think I'll have to pass, John Ricks is still working on the delivery of two babies, P-17 500 Jeffrey 25 1/2" w/ barrel band front, sling swivel and 1/4 rib off of a Ruger #1 458 barrel, and the other #1 458 barrel is being fit to a 98 mauser for a 458 HRH (2.5" 404 necked up), with all the nice hardware, and finished length of 23". Both guns will allow a 2x leupold to be fit scout style on the 1/4 rib. <P>As far as PFD projects, cross your fingers for me, as I'm trying to confince the CFO that I neeeeed a 12X36 engine lathe. With that I plan to sacrifice a contender barrel to make a threaded stubb so I can get cheap takeoff barrels from bolt guns, and thread them to the contender. Will make for all sorts of interesting experiments for pistol and carbine varients. <P>Oh, to the original thread, I did get jealous of my buddies Freedom Arm's Alaskan Master Guide series 454, 5 1/2" barrel and oh so tight, but, I just can't see wrapping up that much cash in a wheelgun. My factory 480 ruger is shooting 1" at 50 yds, and I could buy another 480, cut it to 5" to make it a packer, and still be out less $ for both guns then the FA 454.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
673 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 76 invisible), 2,750 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.