Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I really like the 10x fixed Super Sniper that I have on my cm. It works fine near and far without jacking with a power ring.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Tennessee
Originally Posted by DV_Ramrod
Mine originally wore a VX3i 2.5-8 before it took a chit mid season. Now it wears a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42, NF ultralights, and Talley 0 moa rail.

[Linked Image]

This scope and rifle are made for each other. It should just be sold as a system like that, pre-zeroed with a dope card in the box, so boring. I am using the same expect LW Talley direct mounts.

If you can put up with SFP and the reticle selection, then it's a great scope. I can't like either, so it's a pass for me.

A FFP reticle in a 2.5-10x scope isn't going to do much good anyway. People already find some of the NF reticles hard to pick up in some lighting conditions, think how bad it would be on 2.5x.

Last edited by wareagle700; 01/29/18.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Mine originally wore a VX3i 2.5-8 before it took a chit mid season. Now it wears a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42, NF ultralights, and Talley 0 moa rail.

[Linked Image]

What does "R4284" mean?

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I'm leaning slightly towards the Nightforce 2.5-10x42 with IHR or MOAR reticle because it seems to check the most boxes. What's this about the reticle being too thin?

Do the VX-5HD and VX-6HD Leupolds have the same tracking issues as the VX3i? What about the Swaro Z5 3.5-18?

As a backup I may consider the SWFA series but they look really big, I should mention I've only owned one 30mm scope (an original VX-6 2-12 that I sent down the road).

Planning to order the rifle tomorrow morning...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by MJSaustin
I'm leaning slightly towards the Nightforce 2.5-10x42 with IHR or MOAR reticle because it seems to check the most boxes. What's this about the reticle being too thin?

Do the VX-5HD and VX-6HD Leupolds have the same tracking issues as the VX3i? What about the Swaro Z5 3.5-18?

As a backup I may consider the SWFA series but they look really big, I should mention I've only owned one 30mm scope (an original VX-6 2-12 that I sent down the road).

I have both of those reticles and they are far easier to see than the SWFA SS MilQuad or MOAQuad reticles, which I also have.

(Sold the MilQuad as it was my least favorite of all of those.)

The IHR is a nice reticle if you like a plain duplex, but the MOAR provides more useful information.

The IHR reticle only has the center crosshair illuminate, which is nice in very low light.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Hunted a couple of hours with the IHR this evening and have been using it for several weeks now. The floating part of the reticle is very thin....and I'm starting to kinda like it. If the bars were heavier and (at least) filled rather than hollow I'd be happier. The thin floating section is nice for the precision but does get lost very easily on movers, in thick stuff, in heavy sunlight/shadows, and especially as the light fades. Heavier, black filled reticle would help. The illumination is great as light fades....if the battery ever wears out it will be useless as light fades.

Widen and fill the bars on the reticle and it will be good to go.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Same old erector system on the VX5 and VX6. I trust the swaro Z5 slightly more but it's not built for a lot of dialing. I think it will work for an occasional dialed hunting shot but wouldn't trust it on a range gun that would be dialed often. It's definitely not built for dialing like the SWFA. Yes,the 3-9 SWFA seems big and awkward with those huge turrets till you get use to it. It's actually only 3 ounces heavier than the Z5.

I say that having owned both the 3-9 SWFA and the Swaro Z5. I use the Z5 on one rifle but only because ejection angle won't allow the SWFA.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Try one, I don't find them to be too thin, some do. Keep in mind the NXS has illumination too which is helpful for times when the reticle gets lost.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Roster #
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

What does "R4284" mean?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wareagle700
Originally Posted by Tennessee

[Linked Image]

This scope and rifle are made for each other. It should just be sold as a system like that, pre-zeroed with a dope card in the box, so boring. I am using the same expect LW Talley direct mounts.

If you can put up with SFP and the reticle selection, then it's a great scope. I can't like either, so it's a pass for me.

A FFP reticle in a 2.5-10x scope isn't going to do much good anyway. People already find some of the NF reticles hard to pick up in some lighting conditions, think how bad it would be on 2.5x.

It is with a properly designed FFP reticle. I've spent enough time with 3-9x scopes in SFP and FFP to know there are distinct advantages to FFP when using subtended reticles.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jeffbird

I have both of those reticles and they are far easier to see than the SWFA SS MilQuad or MOAQuad reticles, which I also have.

(Sold the MilQuad as it was my least favorite of all of those.)

The IHR is a nice reticle if you like a plain duplex, but the MOAR provides more useful information.

The IHR reticle only has the center crosshair illuminate, which is nice in very low light.

The one nice feature of a SFP reticle is that turning it down to 2.5 makes it bold, which I use occasionally on pigs in heavy cover areas, and thinner on the higher magnification for more open longer shots.

Which version of the MQ and MOAQ? They're not all equivalent. Scope models?

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I've seen several Fieldcrafts with the rail mount - If I don't need the extra elevation because I'm not shooting past 600 yds is there any benefit to it over Talley lightweights?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've seen several Fieldcrafts with the rail mount - If I don't need the extra elevation because I'm not shooting past 600 yds is there any benefit to it over Talley lightweights?

Only in mounting position for proper ER. Probably won't have any problems with a short action unless your scope is really short with short ER. It's also a bit stronger than Talleys,though whether it's needed is debatable.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 01/30/18.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by peeshooter
March?

Yes sir a March 3-24x52.

You are getting serious...............

Lefty

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I'm really leaning towards the Nightforce NXS 2.5x10 w/ MOAR right now. One concern I have is the adjustable parallax - how often will I have to mess with it?

Or can I just set it and forget it like on most "Max 10X" scopes?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Roster #
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

What does "R4284" mean?

What is a roster number?

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Update - Rifle order was just placed with a company out of Owensboro, KY (hint). This is my first time placing an online order for a rifle and dealing with an FFL so hopefully it goes smoothly.

Now I just need to decide on scope/mounts...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

It is with a properly designed FFP reticle.

That's the problem, there are very few scopes out there with FFP reticles designed for the hunter or mid-range variables. The 3-9 MQ works well in the 6x-9x range but below that the center gets pretty thin. In the 3-9 and 2.5-10 range, I've not found subtensions to be "needed" on anything but max power, especially in a hunting scope, which is why I think SFP reticles work best overall in that magnification range. But, I am always willing to learn something new if there is something I am missing.

Last edited by wareagle700; 01/30/18.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by peeshooter
March?

Yes sir a March 3-24x52.

You are getting serious...............

Lefty

Haha idk I traded into the scope with an offer I couldn’t refuse so I am gonna give it a whirl.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wareagle700

It is with a properly designed FFP reticle.

That's the problem, there are very few scopes out there with FFP reticles designed for the hunter or mid-range variables. The 3-9 MQ works well in the 6x-9x range but below that the center gets pretty thin. In the 3-9 and 2.5-10 range, I've not found subtensions to be "needed" on anything but max power, especially in a hunting scope, which is why I think SFP reticles work best overall in that magnification range. But, I am always willing to learn something new if there is something I am missing.

A couple of points, one you've probably considered, the other maybe not:

- The ability to change the visual absolute thickness of the reticle can be quite handy. If placing the reticle on an unaware animal at dusk, it's sometimes nice to crank up to 9x and get that reticle really bold. Even on low power, the thick posts work really well for bracketing the vitals of a BG animal, which is usually all the precision that's needed on 3-4x

- Murphy's Law has a way of messing with hunters at inopportune times. Just because you may not feel that the subtensions are needed on anything but max power, that doesn't mean that you won't accidentally try and use them, thinking that the scope is set on max magnification, when in reality it's not. Seen it more than once, with lost deer and elk being the result. The most painful case was several years ago, when a friend was using a Zeiss RZ600 and cleanly missed an elk at 530 yards because he used the reticle for holdeover, thinking the scope was set at 9x (he basically never moved it from 9x), when it was actually set on 6x, which we noticed after the elk was safely long gone. A FFP reticle in the 3-9x range is very handy for eliminating one more potential source of problems in the heat of the moment

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

627 members (01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,029 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,254
Posts18,448,097
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.