-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hornady .224 55grain with cannelure BTSP....?...........Does Hornady make such a bullet?

I ask this because I just ordered 1,500 of these...got them today...... from Midway USA. At midway they show a boat tail soft point with a cannelure in the product picture....BUT....when I looked at Hornady's website they list NO 55grain soft point .224 bullet with a boat tail at all......just flat base...
Product #2266 is listed at both Midway and Hornady websites...problem is when you order these in more than 100.....like I did....they bulk package them so you do NOT get the Hornady box that would have the product code #2266..I have here with me two box's of the #2266 bullets and they have a flat base..... not.... a boat tail design.....
This is not a special run or anything like that as these are just listed as a Hornady product.

If this is or..... is not a Hornady product can someone tell me?

Thank You

Heavy

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm looking at the Hornady 7th edition Reloading Man. Product #2266 is described as a 55gr., SP w/c. Only one offering with the BT and that is product #2267 BT-FMJ w/c

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
They could possibly be overruns from a manufacture for something private label...

I know Nosler does that sort of stuff.. as I've picked up oddball stuff like that at their
outlet there in Bend.. Shooters Pro Shop..

oh say, has anyone ever seen a 6.5 mm 105 grain SMP partition? got 500 of them..

but back on topic.. it could be someone else's private label.. or knowing Midway
they ran out and substituted something else that fit the description the closest..

not the first time I've ordered bulk bullets thru them and what I received was a little
different...as soon as they use the word "bulk" then they get a little less picky on
what they ship.. and expect the customer to be a little less picky on what they accept.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Heavy, you didn't say, do the ones you received have a boat tail like the ones in the picture?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I didn’t realize it either but a perfect example is Nosler Partition Bullets. Some have a canalure and some don’t.
At least in 338cal.
So I emailed Nosler asking what’s going on. They’re response was all factory Partition Bullets don’t have a canalure, if they do it was a special or private order.

Last edited by HeavyLoad; 01/31/18.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Midsouth Shooters Supply also shows Hornady #2266 55g Spire Point w/ Cannelure as a BTSP.

That's curious as I purchased a bulk 250 pack of them about a year ago and just loaded some up yesterday. They showed #2266 and are most definitely a flat base.

Hornady's page still shows them as a flat base though.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Gael,

Yes, what I received was the boat tail. All 1,500 of them have the boat tail design with cannelure

Seafire,

Yep,, I am not going to be picky about it...I really like the fact that they are a boat tail design....nice little side benefit. I suppose using them for hogs here and deer is going to be just fine...

Azsar,

I saw that too. Not only that but they ...Midsouth Shooters....varmint nightmare line of 55 grain with cannelure soft points....NOW... is listed with a new description that reads *******this bullet is now a boat tail design***..........soooooo.......I think we know where these came from....

Heavy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wonder if they'll shoot better as a BTSP than they did as a FB? Most claimed that Hornady #2265/#2266 were quite accurate and performed well. That wasn't the case for my rifle. They best I found was a reduced load that gave 1.377" for 7 shots at 100 yards moving at 2,115 FPS. Kinda of a 22 WMR +P load. Most full speeds loads were 45% or larger in group size with that bullet. Full speed loads with the other bullets tried were about 1/2 that or better...

Then again, I only ever tried that load in FC brass and my other loads were in RP brass. Maybe I would have had better luck in Remington brass...

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,746
Posts18,457,750
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.