Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
New to me, thanks to a good 24 hour member.

Don't need or want top line glass as in Swarovski type. I won't be shooting in dull light, this is a brown bear only rifle for me. BUT I do want a dependable scope. Which might bring me right back to top line. I just have not dealt with anything much larger than 338/378

I want this to be done correctly, so do I drill out and tap the reciever for larger screws?( I did read the ring thread FWIW), and use what bases? I have used warne, they are heavy and solid bases.

There will be a distinct possibility of salt issues.

Having access to the irons isn't a bad thing. Not keen on levers, but would consider detach with a torx etc...

AL mounts like Talley are fine with me to.

Just need to know if screws anywhere need to be upgraded.

And if something along the lines of a fixed or low power super sniper would be a decent match or look elsewhere. I know the super sniper has taken a beating on my 50 bmg and is still trucking right along.

Thanks for any input!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
A Leupold 2.5 ultra-lightweight. 6 ounces and 5 inches of eye relief. Weaver bases and mounts. The original quick detachable mounts. Ugly,but effective. Much lighter than anything else that would fit the bill. Those Zastava (798) can be awkward to mount a scope on. You might need extension rings to make things work. I would have the action glass bedded, with a couple of cross bolts installed for stock splitting prevention. A 458 can split a stock in short order.

Having hunted brown bear in Russia in the Spring. Scope covers and electrical tape over the muzzle to keep the snow out are mandatory in my opinion. I got my bear coming at me at 15-20 feet. A poll of the dozen hunters I met up with while there had the longest shot at (a lasered) 91 yards. I have to laugh at the laser. The fellow who performed this miracle shot was perhaps the most physically lazy hunter I have ever met. Walking 91 paces would have been a hike for the lad. That bear was shot off the snow mobile: and not one inch further.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a 2 1/2 x Leupold on my 458 MX now for 35 years and wouldn't change it for anything

In fact I bought a couple spares as Leupold still makes them, even in this Tactical age. But for how long, no one knows !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
sorry, L is so much junk these days I just don't want to risk that.

BUT I can look for an old 2.5 for sure.

Thanks for that thought!

The 798 has cross bolts. It will get bedded here when I get time, in steel bed.

I've no issues with all weaver. Just didn't know if it was enough.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I agree with you on lack of faith in the newer Leupolds. How about one of the older steel tube Burris Fullfield fixed powers?

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
The 1 3/4 - 6 Leupold was a very good scope....but appears ( unless I overlooked it) no longer made. If I were looking....I’d look for a used one. Of course....finding one for sale may be a challenge!

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
1.5-5 w/ #4

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ringworm
1.5-5 w/ #4

I had one of those, good scope....just a little short of image quality at twilight!

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by sambo3006
I agree with you on lack of faith in the newer Leupolds. How about one of the older steel tube Burris Fullfield fixed powers?

Looking there. Did not find what I thought I might.

Looked into the light Leupold as much as I don't want to.

Will keep looking.

Lighter weight should be less subject to recoil issues IIRC. UP to a point. Might be a reason not to look for a super sniper.

Damn confusing.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The variable scopes that are being mentioned do not have the eye relief of the fixed 2.5 power ultra-lightweight. Being average variables, they do not have the ability to withstand the recoil of full power 458 Winchester magnum loads like a fixed power scope either. There is a big jump in recoil when going from a .375 H&H to a 458 Winchester magnum. This why I mentioned the fixed power 2.5 ultra-lightweight.

IC B3

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Super sniper has 5 inches eye relief. Not bad.

I"m going back to look at the leupold and just buy it I guess. Much as I hate to waste money I guess its worth a try.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
If your meaning the FX-II 2.5x20 which reticle are you thinking about going with? I've got an M8 2.5 w/hvy plex. Now it looks like it's not being offered on the FX-II 2.5. Only the std and wide duplex. Knew I should have picked another one up in the hvy plex.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
i had a fixed 2.5 on mine and now it wears a nikon monarch 1-4x20 in german 4 reticle. days and night for clarity.

i put weaver steel bases and leupold QRW rings on it.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by yukonphil
i had a fixed 2.5 on mine and now it wears a nikon monarch 1-4x20 in german 4 reticle. days and night for clarity.

i put weaver steel bases and leupold QRW rings on it.

I also like to see what I’m aiming at.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Bears are big. They are generally close 2.5 isn't an issue. Quality of L is these days evidently.

Nikon. How many rounds has it had through it?

What reticle? Doesn't much matter to me really. I'm not overly picky with a rifle like this.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Not understanding the clarity issue/problem. My 2.5 is an M8 I bought new in the box. Are yours newer models? This year I killed my first head of big game with a muzzleloader off hand at no more than a couple yards either side of 100yds. First head of big game taken with it was when it was on my M98 9.3x62. It was snowing I was sitting and stepped the shot off at about 175yds. As far as low light low performance goes I was pretty impressed by it. I just turned 70yrs old. Probably killed the one with my 9.3 when I was just past 60. If the FX-II's aren't as good as the M8's I may have to go looking.

Also not offering the hvy plex in this scope kind of irks me. I've got a new FX-II 4x I was going to have one installed in but not for what I understand may be $200?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by rost495
Bears are big. They are generally close 2.5 isn't an issue. Quality of L is these days evidently.

What reticle? Doesn't much matter to me really. I'm not overly picky with a rifle like this.

And leupold optics suck

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by rost495

i will say around 200 to 300 shots with rl7 from 350 to 500 grains.

the reticle is the german 4.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Not understanding the clarity issue/problem. My 2.5 is an M8 I bought new in the box. Are yours newer models? This year I killed my first head of big game with a muzzleloader off hand at no more than a couple yards either side of 100yds. First head of big game taken with it was when it was on my M98 9.3x62. It was snowing I was sitting and stepped the shot off at about 175yds. As far as low light low performance goes I was pretty impressed by it. I just turned 70yrs old. Probably killed the one with my 9.3 when I was just past 60. If the FX-II's aren't as good as the M8's I may have to go looking.

Also not offering the hvy plex in this scope kind of irks me. I've got a new FX-II 4x I was going to have one installed in but not for what I understand may be $200?

i did a side by side test in my shooting condition and the leupold what not as clear as the nikon. both were brand new and sold the leupold. that scope was handy but if my eyes love better a scope there is nothing i can do.

i can shoot in forest or with snowy day and this is where the nikon was not as good for my eyes.

but my eyes may have issues has they love bushnell elites rifle scopes ...

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
You mean in the forest and snow the L was not as good?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.