Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
just something about 1911's that make them special !

Lots of people just can't seem to understand or comprehend that..................just sayin'.

I could be happy if 1911's were the only handguns that I had.

MM

GB1

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This one here is a favorite that's shot...often. Built by the AMU (Army Marksmanship Unit), it'll group under 2" (10 shots) at 50 yds from a machine rest. Somewhat finish-challenged, it looks the part of a battle-scarred range warrior. It has a WW II Ithaca frame (all NM guns will have WW II 1911A1 frames, mostly Rem Rands) and a Colt NM "hard slide" from the early '60's that'll take the constant battering of 230 grain ball. It's never malfunctioned. I've developed an attachment to NM pistols like this. It's what I shot daily on and off for almost 30 years, in between combat tours, on the AMU. It definitely beat working for a living.

Obviously, I'm not a big Glock fan.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 01/26/18.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Lots of people just can't seem to understand or comprehend that..................just sayin'.

MM

I have seen countless young fella's making the full circle from plastic guns to nothing but metal 1911 types. Some take longer than others.

I see a lot of used plastic guns for sale on the shelves. Very few good used 1911's.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by RGK
This one here is a favorite that's shot...often. Built by the AMU (Army Marksmanship Unit), it'll group under 2" (10 shots) at 50 yds from a machine rest. Somewhat finish-challenged, it looks the part of a battle-scarred range warrior. It has a WW II Ithaca frame (all NM guns will have WW II 1911A1 frames, mostly Rem Rands) and a Colt NM "hard slide" from the early '60's that'll take the constant battering of 230 grain ball. It's never malfunctioned. I've developed an attachment to NM pistols like this. It's what I shot daily on and off for almost 30 years, in between combat tours, on the AMU. It definitely beat working for a living.

Bob

[Linked Image]

I could have fun with this one for sure.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Gibby
Originally Posted by RGK

Bob

[Linked Image]

curious
who is the manufacturer of the rear sight?

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by RGK

Bob

[Linked Image]

curious
who is the manufacturer of the rear sight?

Looks like an LPA sight. They have many high quality retrofit sights for many models.

I have a few. I recommend them. Study before you buy.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[/quote] curious
who is the manufacturer of the rear sight?[/quote]

That's an original US-marked Kensight. Pistol was built at FT Benning sometime in 1971. At different times during 1911A1 NM production/building, the military used adjustable sights from Elliason, Kensight, Triangle, Micro and BoMar, both early and later versions. All depends on what year of the build/rebuild.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 02/02/18.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Ah, the US stamp.
I should have read your earlier post closer.

That is one fine piece.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

I have seen countless young fella's making the full circle from plastic guns to nothing but metal 1911 types. Some take longer than others.

I see a lot of used plastic guns for sale on the shelves. Very few good used 1911's.

I'm not going to get into a big heated debate but will only tell you my experience.

When I first decided to start carrying,the gun magazines were popular and I subscribed to several. It was basically a given that any serious fighting handgun had to be a 1911. For the first 5 years of my CCW search,I tried to carry a 1911. I went through 2 Springfield's and a Kimber but they would always malfunction every now and again. They didn't malfunction often but any malfunction was disappointing to me.I went through trying to change my grip,different ammo,different mags and some slight gunsmithing by a local guy to try to get them to run 100%. I was never satisfied.

One day,I was in a gun shop that I had never been in and got to talking to the owner. He was a Glock armorer and carried several. I absolutely hated the ugly plastic atrocities. I hated the idea of a plastic gun and the triggers were horrible. The owner of that shop had a Glock I had never seen before,a model 36.Somehow he talked me intro trying it out. That little G-36 turned into the best Light Weight Commander I hve ever owned. It wasn't long until I got rid of the 1911's. That G-36 has still never malfunctioned.

Say whatever you will. It might have been my fault my 1911's wouldn't function 100%.I want to love the 1911. I love the feel,looks and trigger of a 1911 but I would still be willing to bet that most of today's plastic guns are functionally more reliable out of the box than any production 1911 out of the box. I also think those plastic guns are a better CCW choice for the average person than any 1911. They will work without the dedication and time that most people won't spend.They are easier to carry,and most people would be better served not to have to disengage a safety under the stress of a shooting event.

From your comment,it seemed like you viewed the plastic guns as training wheels and eventually,those who had good sense would come around to a real gun. That's OK,it's no big deal. I'm glad ya'll enjoy the 1911 and keep it alive. I'm just giving a slightly different view. I see today's guns as the natural evolution into a better,more reliable product,at least some of the better ones. I'm actually just glad to see more people deciding to carry,no matter what they choose.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 02/02/18.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My SEA Colt..side arm I flew with... Mfg 1913...No it's not USAF property..it was my grandfather's. Had to have special orders to take it across the pond and back..Of course I saved all the original parts.

[Linked Image]

THAT's a treasure!

Retired cat herder.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
All valid points for you. Well and good for you.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

252 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 20 invisible), 1,450 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,312
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.