Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Ordered a new Longbow from Omega Longbows in Pa. I sent Keegan some bubinga and purple heart that I bought from a mill that was closing. I wanted them integrated into the bow. I ordered the Imperial 64” 50# @ 28”. Fit and finish is beautiful. It literally just arrived so I haven’t set it up or shot it yet but I’m excited. Hope to get good enough and confident/competent with it to take it into the Woods this fall and shoot a deer or 2 with it.

Photobucket sucks so I can’t post a pic.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Hard to beat a longbow for putting the fun back in archery. I moved to all trad about 15 years ago. Did you decide on what arrow you want to shoot? Is that a glass laminated bow? Straight,reflex,deflex or what is the relaxed profile?

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I’ve toyed with recurves and Longbows for a few years. Finally felt confident enough to take it into the field this season. 2 hunts and 5 clean misses later I hung it up lol. I kept shooting over the deer. I clearly was having an issue and didn’t want to risk wounding anything so I switched back to my compound. I ordered this in the fall. I shoot cedar arrows I make from shafts I ordered. Bear 2 blade broad heads. I had a few conversations with the builder and he suggested the Imperial model. Here’s the description from Omega but I substituted Purple Heart and bubinga for the oak.

This bow was designed to with target shooting in mind. The long oak riser holds steady on target and is balanced to point naturally, with ample delfex to make the bow forgiving of shooting mistakes. The highly reflexed limbs deliver great speed with low shock and no twist. The limbs pull straight into a D shape with no visible reflex, making it legal for even strict longbow competitions. The long sight window is cut in a straight line to center to comply with regulations while remaining forgiving of a wide range of arrow weights and spines. Built with the same laminated oak riser and hickory limb core, this bow is built to last and carries the Omega lifetime warranty.

This hard hitting bow would be legal for any modern longbow tournament. Balanced well, i'st a joy to shoot for fun, and extremely consistent on targets. The smooth, high performance limbs make the bow a powerful hunting weapon, launching heavy arrows with deadly authority. Bow lengths are available from 60" to 70", so you can find the perfect length for your draw length and uses. The 60" is good for archers drawing up to 28", while the 62-66" lengths will cover draw lengths up to 31". The 68" and 70" lengths are available for archers with very long draws and target archers. For all around shooting, the 64" Imperial is by far the most popular.

Standard options for the Imperial include stain selection, length options from 60" to 70", and either a bulbous locator or flat recurve style grip. A flared ipe riser is available, bringing mass weight up to almost three pounds. The Imperial can also be ordered as a two-piece take-down bow for travelling. Draw weights are available up to 60# and extra heavy weights can be custom ordered. Please contact me directly for more information.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I just looked at the site. I like the design. It looks like a well mannered bow. Do you shoot the trad 3D events in the summer? I think they are a great way to build confidence and skill.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I’ve never shot an archery event. Self taught (self teaching) how to shoot traditional. I’m hoping to meet up with some local traditional guys this spring and see if they can help me and get some shooting in as a group.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My best advice to learn to shoot is to learn from someone who knows how. When I first started everybody and his brother wanted to help me and while meaning well their advice was all over the place. I went to some larger events,some with 600 to 1000 registered shooters and I watched and learned who was leading in the scores. Whenever I could catch those guys at a good time at the practice butts of just hanging around,I began to ask questions. I was lucky enough to be introduced to some world class shooters who were very gracious with their time and advice.

I guess my point is that it's not always good to take advice from just anybody.Find the guys who can really shoot and learn from them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^^ Good advice. Nice bows and a good price.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Congrats on the new bow.
You are a better man than me, as I tried a recurve and long bow but went back to compound.

NRA Patron
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Congrats on the new bow. I have made several in my days. Longbows are fun to shoot and to hunt with. In 2016, I killed a black bear with one of my homemade bows using homemade arrows and even broadheads I made myself. Its a challenge killing with traditional gear and even more so with gear you make yourself. You may find that once you get proficient with the longbow that you want to try to hunt with it.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

610 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,267
Posts18,448,289
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.