Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You missed grin

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
That's a pretty good poke.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tip melted.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice shooting.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The lying lazy bushelor does that with a 22!!!!!

PS, nice shootin Tex

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Good shooting Rc!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Good shooting Rc!

Thanks! Just really trying to confirm some data out past 1000

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
You missed grin

A LOT. BTW, the .401 BC works perfectly out to 1000. From there out I had to play with the BC and Velocity inputs in Ballistic AE to get the output to match actual dialing

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

You missed grin

A LOT. BTW, the .401 BC works perfectly out to 1000. From there out I had to play with the BC and Velocity inputs in Ballistic AE to get the output to match actual dialing

That tends to happen in switchy winds at a mile. Any up/down drafts to deal with? Coriolis enabled?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

You missed grin

That tends to happen in switchy winds at a mile. Any up/down drafts to deal with? Coriolis enabled?

Nothing up or down that I could see. Good Catch! Coriolis is always enabled, but I didn't look at it or put in the azimuth of fire. I just did and it made no difference in drop? It should as I was shooting West to East and would explain the fact that I had to dial more than the original output...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Jordan, I'm actually a bit confused by this. Everything I've read says shooting West to East would involve less drop. Doesn't seem intuitive to me since, with the rotation of the Earth, the target would be getting FARTHER away. Can you help me noodle through this?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
"Despite being associated with Coriolis, the phenomenon that actually affects the vertical component of the trajectory is called Eötvös Effect. The rotation of the Earth generates a centrifugal force, the same that pushes you to the side when you make a sharp turn with your car. This force acts perpendicular to the Earth rotatory axis, adding or subtracting to the gravity force. When an object flies eastward, in the same direction of Earth’s rotation, centrifugal force acts opposite of gravity, pushing it away from the Earth’s surface. If the object flies westward, in the opposite direction of the Earth rotation, centrifugal force pushes the object toward the ground concurrently to gravity force. Thus, bullets fired to the east always fly a little higher, and, conversely, bullets fired to the west always travel somewhat low."

Seems opposite of what I'd think

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It only applies if you're shooting across state lines.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rick,

Rather than thinking about the target travelling further away with the rotation of the earth, think of the target rising or dropping with the earth. The earth rotates from west to east, so if you were shooting towards the east, the target would rotate and drop down a little bit while the bullet is in flight, and the bullet would then strike higher on the target. So you need to dial a little less elevation to bring POI down to POA.

If shooting to the west, the target would rise while the bullet was in flight, and the bullet would strike low on the target. You would be required to dial a little bit extra elevation to bring POI up to POA.

Found this demonstration vid:

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like my 140’s

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
I like my 140’s

Congrats.

Nice shooting, Rick!

Jordan, thanks for the vid.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I am in over my head every time I try stretch my rifles out much past 650. Have tried it at various temps and altitudes, in hunting scenarios across canyons and such, and haven't gotten a handle on what happens. I salute you guys who've figured it out, and are putting rounds where you want them way out there.

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 02/06/18.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I am in over my head every time I try stretch my rifles out much past 650. Have tried it at various temps and altitudes, in hunting scenarios across canyons and such, and haven't gotten a handle on what happens. I salute you guys who've figured it out, and are putting rounds where you want them way out there.

In terms of clanking steel, I felt the same way but once I started pushing my comfort level and going through primers, the learning curve was surprisingly steep and quick. I'm still all to familiar with misses but feel I can get on the plate in short order with the tools we have these days...not to mention some of the people here who have refined the skill and divulged their experiences.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I think it was Tubb that said that once you got to magnum speeds in the 7mm that strange things happened at times at longer distances.

Nice shooting!

Only time I've done that, was a bit furhter but with a 50. Amazing how you can think you have it all swag'd out and you miss by quite a bit, but given a spotter you can often do well for a few more shots, but then looks totally the same and you miss again.... best outing was 3 shots around 8 inches at a bit of 1800 ish yards... pretty much a fluke IMHO but i"ll take it. I decided that I could hit or scare the heck out of a 55 gallon drum there most of the time anyway. TOF was about 5 seconds IIRC...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I saw that video and thought I understood what was happening. This site says the reason is centrifugal force caused by the direction the Earth is rotating

https://loadoutroom.com/thearmsguide/external-ballistics-the-coriolis-effect-6-theory-section/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 52 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,241
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.