-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I have a '12 Razor 800. The drive belt has about 1500 miles on it. I don't hot rod it. What's the normal life expectancy of a belt?
What do you look for in a belt? I see them on Amazon from $55 to about $150. All the fancy names mean nothing to me.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Razor has a few websites with good info on them.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rock Chuck, I'm no expert but my buddies with Rangers claim you can get +5k miles.

I made it a whopping 800 miles before I smoked the belt on my Ranger. Got stuck in a bad spot and didn't put it low range and burned a spot in it. Still works but has a vibration. It is now my back up belt and I replaced it with a bad ass carbon fiber version from Gates.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY9G90V/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by SamOlson; 02/05/18.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I bought mine with 1600 miles on it. The seller had just put a new belt on it. He gave me the old one and it doesn't look bad at all. I've put about 1500 on it since then and haven't opened the belt housing. I was just wondering how long they typically last. I use low range a lot, BTW.

― George Orwell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wild guess but I would think you'd be good to go for thousands of miles. Just keep the other as a spare.

On my Ranger it was a pain in the ass to muscle the new belt on....

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Just use common sense....had a buddy try to pull out a 1/2 ton Ford stuck in sand..(dumb azz)

with his Can Am SxS...not a good idea...he replaced belt shortly after.....

don't rely on 4 Hi in ratty conditions....use low range and/or 4x4 to get through it.....

some machine's belts can be changed in the field....

Rhino is not....you need a 24mm socket & impact gun.....

purty easy after that...OEM Rhino belts are $120.....click linky....

Rocky Mtn ATV Payson Utah has all the parts you'll need.......and fast !

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I don't know! I'm still running the factory belt on my 2003 ranger with 678 hours on it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

if you're 30 miles from the truck........

it breaks.......you probably wished you had a spare.....

clink RMATV link above.................. smile

I usually go with someone.......but I've been known to venture out alone.........

pic.....my ole '09 Rhino.....right at 4K miles

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A drive shaft was a real selling point when I bought a Honda Pioneer.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
When we got our Razor, we wanted a 50" so it would fit in the pickup. The only 50" Honda had was the 500 and we wanted something a little stronger.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was leaning hard towards a Ranger. The drive shaft and flip up seats in the bed, turned the tide.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
A drive shaft was a real selling point when I bought a Honda Pioneer.

when I replace my '09 Rhino..........

Honda is where I'll look first.......

the UTV drive belt is the weak link on any SxS

although this current Rhino runs great.....upgraded clutch......

so revs out at 50 mph now......instead of 40

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tikkanut, what do you hear about the Wolverine? that's what I've been looking at.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Tikkanut, what do you hear about the Wolverine? that's what I've been looking at.

yea...........just not in the market for newer SxS.......

'09 Rhino still runs great........

cashed out fur a while.......bought a new to me '14 Taco truck

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tikkanut

if you're 30 miles from the truck........

it breaks.......you probably wished you had a spare.....

clink RMATV link above.................. smile

I usually go with someone.......but I've been known to venture out alone.........

pic.....my ole '09 Rhino.....right at 4K miles

[Linked Image]

those DOT rated tires? they look pretty stout . way stiffer than factory dunlops?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

yes...........General Grabber AT 2..........27-850x14

put these on in Sept '17........ride great.........perform well in varied conditions......

running 14 # psi......will last a long time with 5 tire rotation

http://generaltire.com/tires/light-truck-crossover-suv/grabber-at2

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Bought an '15 Polaris RZR for my dad and he got over 5k on the belt and he literally blew it up (not good).

I told him to replace every 2500-3k and it's fine on RZR UTV. If your hauling loads on the Ranger UTV and actually working it I would assume a bit more frequently as it states in the operators manual.

A tech who works on these confided to me that the big deal is that folks don't run the vehicle in low range enough when in steep or challenging terrain to keep the correct clutch tension and engagement. Anything under 20mph and slower really needs to be used in LOW.

As per changing belts on the Polaris, it's pretty darn easy. The OEM belts are very high quality so stay with them and their correct dimensions. These are slightly more maintence than my Honda with its direct drive, but my Honda is a dog in performance and it's had seals go out and puke out gear oil so it's not like it's totally free of issues and maintence. They all have some level of maintence. Maintaining a Polaris CVT belt and drive is pretty easy and if you don't have the eps braking on your machine you'll want to install the SLP one way bearing kit for engine braking. Great addition.

The big deal is to maintain your belt and change when needed, and always have an extra on the machine. I put a aluminum box on my dads Polaris with extra belt, small bottle jack, tire kit, spare mounted tire, extra cable tow rope, chainsaw, and a few tools.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
Bought an '15 Polaris RZR for my dad and he got over 5k on the belt and he literally blew it up (not good).

I told him to replace every 2500-3k and it's fine on RZR UTV. If your hauling loads on the Ranger UTV and actually working it I would assume a bit more frequently as it states in the operators manual.

A tech who works on these confided to me that the big deal is that folks don't run the vehicle in low range enough when in steep or challenging terrain to keep the correct clutch tension and engagement. Anything under 20mph and slower really needs to be used in LOW.

As per changing belts on the Polaris, it's pretty darn easy. The OEM belts are very high quality so stay with them and their correct dimensions. These are slightly more maintence than my Honda with its direct drive, but my Honda is a dog in performance and it's had seals go out and puke out gear oil so it's not like it's totally free of issues and maintence. They all have some level of maintence. Maintaining a Polaris CVT belt and drive is pretty easy and if you don't have the eps braking on your machine you'll want to install the SLP one way bearing kit for engine braking. Great addition.

The big deal is to maintain your belt and change when needed, and always have an extra on the machine. I put a aluminum box on my dads Polaris with extra belt, small bottle jack, tire kit, spare mounted tire, extra cable tow rope, chainsaw, and a few tools.
I assume you mean EBS? Power steering isn't closely related to engine braking. grin

― George Orwell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

236 members (358WCF, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 280shooter, 204guy, 35 invisible), 1,957 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,160
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.