Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Looks like it came out a respectable composite. I'd certainly shoot [bleep] crap with it. I'd also put on a rear peep. How's the reblue job look?

Last edited by S99VG; 03/21/18. Reason: Replaced [bleep] with "crap"

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The quality of the reblue looks good, although shinier than factory sheen would have been in that era, with the exception of some speckling that's occured since. Hadn't considered a peep, I'll try a 57.

The box of treasures is what makes projects like that possible. I've had that forearm for years. The old band fit the barrel contour perfectly, and everything is as tight as a vault. It's critical on cutting the notch in the barrel that you cut and fit, cut and fit until it's snug but threads right and locks up. I'm happy with that.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, that gun just screams to be hunted.. good job!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For what it's worth, I like the Redfield 70 on a 99 carbine or short rifle better than the Lyman 57. The Lyman just looks bulky to me in comparison.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by S99VG
For what it's worth, I like the Redfield 70 on a 99 carbine or short rifle better than the Lyman 57. The Lyman just looks bulky to me in comparison.

Yah, but I have a Lyman. grin

I'll look around, I doubt I have a Redfield.

Oh boys, it's all fun and games in the Savage world, no?

LOL
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Better.

[Linked Image]

Did that box of fore ends come from Italy?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

LOL. I have no idea what the story is but I want to hear it!

Both buttstocks and forearms in the box. There are some new sets wrapped up in the bottom, they don't get out much. ;)grin

If you get rid of anything, the next thing you know you buy a dadgum rifle needing it.

Last edited by Fireball2; 03/21/18.

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Well you know what they say about the value of one in the hand vs two in the bush.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Nice Job Roy! so im thinking you can shoot 100 grainers out of it with the later barrel? Love the Barrel band I got from you! if you get bored with it drop me a PM!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Well you know what they say about the value of one in the hand vs two in the bush.

Well, I checked and the Lyman I have fits factory drilled rifles (scope base holes), so it's regular old irons for this girl.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlering
Nice Job Roy! so im thinking you can shoot 100 grainers out of it with the later barrel? Love the Barrel band I got from you! if you get bored with it drop me a PM!

I'm really glad to hear that John. I think the only thing I killed with that BB was a coyote, but that was self defense he thought I was a dying rabbit and was fixin to eat me.

Yeah, the 100 grain angle is the upside to this rifle. I'm a fan of the Barnes bullets for their penetration. They outperform their size when you need penetration, like in the event of crossing paths with a large bear while deer hunting.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

From the movie "A Christmas Story". The old man's mispronunciation, and misunderstanding of, the word FRAGILE spelled on the crate in which his "major award" (the infamous leg lamp) arrived in.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The only thing I shot with it is Paper and a few cans, carried it 11 days out of our 15 day rifle season! we went away for Thanksgiveing a few days! never had a legal deer in front of me, passed a couple of button bucks tho, that I could have shot!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Well, I checked and the Lyman I have fits factory drilled rifles (scope base holes), so it's regular old irons for this girl.

I didn't doubt that. I should have said that having a sight in hand is worth a lot more than shopping for another one. You already have a 57 so why the heck bother looking for anything else? Anyway, that's the way I sees it.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

I didn't doubt that. I should have said that having a sight in hand is worth a lot more than shopping for another one. You already have a 57 so why the heck bother looking for anything else? Anyway, that's the way I sees it.

Oh yeah, I'm tracking with you fer sher. But unfortunately my Lyman fits a newer 99 that's pre-drilled for scope bases, not the tang sight holes. That's ok with me.

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

From the movie "A Christmas Story". The old man's mispronunciation, and misunderstanding of, the word FRAGILE spelled on the crate in which his "major award" (the infamous leg lamp) arrived in.

Watch out. Before you know it the next thing we'll be talking about will be the virtues of Daisy's Red Ryder! I never had one. My Daisy was the model below the Red Ryder. It didn't have the saddle ring or the forearm, but it still spit out BBs as fast as Chuck Conner's cycled is Model 92! After that I moved onto a pump Crossman 760 and became the terror of my folks back yard. Things have changed. I'm pretty sure someone would call the cops if you shot a pellet gun in that yard today.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lyman 57 with the target turrets is a bad ass sight.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I never had a Red Ryder either. I was a Crossman man, after graduating from my dad's hand-me-down from when he was a kid in the 30's- a gawdawful Daisy single shot, cocked like breaking open a single shot shotgun, loaded by dropping a BB down the barrel, a true muzzle loader. Accuracy was virtually non-existent, muzzle velocity in the realm of 50 fps or so. Barely good enough to hit and sting a kid sister in the butt. But, nigh onto 60 years later it and the Crossman Killer Diller occupy point of pride in the gun cabinet. (I really ought to see if it will still light up my kid sister.)

Feeding that thing set a pattern to follow the rest of my life. My measly allowance went for buying BB's, all of it, every week. Milky Way bars, Cokes, comic books? Nope. BB's, all the way man. (Well there was the occasional pack of Greenie Stickum Caps, and the odd condom or two.) The gun shot best with Winchester's, at first in the 250-count red cardboard tubes and later in the yellow/blue tubes. Honest to god, as a six year old I range tested different brands. (Will it hit an empty bean can at 15 feet or not. Definitely critical for sniping the correct butt cheek when the prey was hiding behind the grape arbor.)

Don't even get me started on .22's, which my parents didn't allow until well after all my buddies had graduated to one. I wonder why.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a great shooter with two personalities. Has the great look of the barrel band, but oughta make a great hunting rifle with the faster twist and heavier bullets. Sweet rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Don't even get me started on .22's, which my parents didn't allow until well after all my buddies had graduated to one. I wonder why.

I think your sister knows the answer to that question... cool

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

212 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 1_deuce, 1minute, 300_savage, 31 invisible), 1,834 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,054
Posts18,463,191
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.