Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Wow, time flies. I stopped bowhunting for 15 years and nobody at the shop or range that I went to shoots fingers anymore. Everyone is using some sort of mechanical release. I have an old Hoyt wheel compound bow from 1980s. It still shoots well, but I'd like to upgrade to the latest and greatest but still shoot fingers.

Any idea which bows might works? Open to other brands too. I think someone told me that PSE has a "Beast" with axle to axle of 38" and brace height of 7". Would this work? I'd prefer an ATA of 40".

My draw length is about 30-31" and I shoot to 70 pounds. I will be mainly hunting Elk and Mule Deer; ranges up to 50 yards.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Even if you find one, best case it's 65% letoff.

Looks like nothing buts used stuff.
Hoyt did have something a couple yrs back.

I'm on the hunt for an Oneida Black Eagle 2 for a fingers rig.
So are others, price kinda steep.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Find you an Oneida Black Eagle or Black Eagle II

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It does appear that the new Hoyt catalog does not list a "fingers" type bow with a long ATA and high brace. The one that they have listed for years is not on the menu. I hope that I am wrong.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of them at my local shop........they are way in the back and have dust on them. Good thing is most can be had for cheap. Oh, they are about 15 years old.......

Seems that nearly all the finger shooters around here have gone the rest of the way and shoot Trad. Nearly all of the compounds have gone short and fast.

Last edited by centershot; 11/29/17.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Nerve action up in my right elbow will keep me from using a release aid. It's Fingers or Crossbow for me

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i think you want to find a 2002-2005 hoyt pro tec istill shoot mine and love it
just had new string n cables put on and it feels brand new again

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hoyt used to make the Tribute, but no longer listed. Very sad state of affairs when not even one bow company makes something for finger shooters...

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
the old oneida eagle 48 inches tip to tip.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TomM1
Hoyt used to make the Tribute, but no longer listed. Very sad state of affairs when not even one bow company makes something for finger shooters...

I think you can still get these. From what I heard they have a stockpile of them and they can be special ordered. Still going to run you $800+. Older used one are the way to go.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by centershot
Originally Posted by TomM1

I think you can still get these. From what I heard they have a stockpile of them and they can be special ordered. Still going to run you $800+. Older used one are the way to go.

Do a little calling around, I would start with Hoyt. They should know where any new old stock would be. If not you can probably find one on ebay or one of the archery forums. I didn't know Hoyt quit making a finger model, I always respected them for making a model for the few remaining finger shooters out there. I shot a Pro Tech when I last shot fingers, sold it to a buddy when I went to a release. He still has it.

Last edited by jdunham; 01/29/18.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get yourself a Barnsdale Classic X and be done with it! Best bow out there for finger shooters bar none. Dave makes the best limbs in the business for a compound.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
How much are the barnesdale running?

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to shoot fingers with an old PSE Phaser. Not a real expensive bow, but it could definitely shoot better than I could shoot it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hoyt made the Vantage LTD up to last year. But I am sure they are hard to find as they aren't big sellers. I have two and looks like that will be the bows I own the rest of my life. You might want to have your local dealer give Hoyt a call to see if they have any left.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

263 members (1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 40 invisible), 1,580 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,444
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.