Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I liked it as well.
The movie seemed to be intentional paced down a bit, to get the viewer out of the usual 10 second sound bite mentality and into thinking of life as paced from horseback.
I'll buy it if I see it.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I watched it for the first time last night on Netflix. Told the wife about it and she wanted to watch so I just watched it again with her. Great movie. Even she liked it, not many westerns that she does like.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
I saw the film on a long haul flight recently.

I agree with Jin in Idaho - the rapid change in heart and 180 degree opinion / life long work attitude change did not seem credible.

I got the feeling there was at least two stories crammed into the film. Once again, film producers were grafting modern attitudes onto late c19 people.

Nice scenery though. Overall, I enjoyed the film.

Like others mentioned, I liked Open range, Unforgiven, Broken Trail and the mini series Streets of Laredo with James Garner playing the retired Texas Ranger.

G
G
Robthom & Jim, I think you guys have overlooked a key scene here. Ben Foster's portrayal of the man who was sentenced to hang for "war crimes." Foster whined that he did not do anything that Captain Blocker did not do, it was unfair of the army to hang him. Unknown to them, Mrs Quaid overheard the conversation. Now, I haven't seen the movie in quite a while. As I recall, Mrs Quaid told Blocker to come into the tent because of the rain. So Blocker realizes she heard about his war crimes, and yet she still takes him into a platonic embrace.
So Mrs Quaid realizes the war crimes is a two way trail. And she saw the Montana ranchers attitude to the Indians when Little Bear was made an orphan. And Blocker realizes he did underhanded things as Ben Foster's character did. And Blocker saw the depression that led his First Sergeant to leave camp seeking death.
I thought Foster's scene with the captain brought a light to Mrs Quaid and the captain and seemed to help us understand the change of heart.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Gone_West
Robthom & Jim, I think you guys have overlooked a key scene here. Ben Foster's portrayal of the man who was sentenced to hang for "war crimes." Foster whined that he did not do anything that Captain Blocker did not do, it was unfair of the army to hang him. Unknown to them, Mrs Quaid overheard the conversation. Now, I haven't seen the movie in quite a while. As I recall, Mrs Quaid told Blocker to come into the tent because of the rain. So Blocker realizes she heard about his war crimes, and yet she still takes him into a platonic embrace.
So Mrs Quaid realizes the war crimes is a two way trail. And she saw the Montana ranchers attitude to the Indians when Little Bear was made an orphan. And Blocker realizes he did underhanded things as Ben Foster's character did. And Blocker saw the depression that led his First Sergeant to leave camp seeking death.
I thought Foster's scene with the captain brought a light to Mrs Quaid and the captain and seemed to help us understand the change of heart.

That's because you pay attention when watching a film.

Most don't.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Deflave: The VarmintWife and I both enjoyed the movie very much when we first saw it.
I was surprised she enjoyed it so much.
I also re-watched the movie recently and give it a solid "91" on my scale of 1 to 100.
I look to purchase it when I come across a deal on the disc.
I like westerns - always have.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 21 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,506
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.