Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
We went to see the movie, 'Hostiles' the other night and enjoyed it. A few things I caught could have been done better, but it IS a western and we don't get too many to see anymore, so we decided to support it. We really liked the ending.
Your thoughts?
Brittman

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It was slower than moleasses. Not a wole lot of character development. Not a fan of the movie but loved the scenery.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It was slower than moleasses. Not a wole lot of character development. Not a fan of the movie but loved the scenery.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
It did kinda drag. Agree the scenery was awe inspiring.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We saw it a couple weeks ago. I liked it, one of the few westerns that showed both sides of the story somewhat realistically. I'd watch it again on DVD.

IC B2

G
G
Different strokes for different folks. I don't believe this movie drug by, and my buddy across the fire says there was no character development. Christian Bale's character went from challenging an Indian chief to a knife fight, which was refused, to telling the chief that when he died, a part of Bale would also die. You will have to see the movie to find out what brought that change of heart. But that seems like character development to me. Rosamund Pike went from being a crazy Looney carrying a baby dead for DAYS to being the first one to fire a round in the final gunfight. And then the scene where Bale had to say goodbye to his only black trooper. Those were two men that had seen too much together. And then that First Sergeant unable to live with himself because of the things he had seen.
There was such a black mood to the picture that I could see it dragging viewers down. But don't think that this show only tells what the white's did wrong. Plenty of blame falls on the Indians also.
I think this will end up being a classic.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Am watching it now and am enjoying it immensely.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not available here in Canada, only the Trailer. I see Christian Bale is adept at dodging arrows or lasers.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Loved it.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great movie. Highly recommend it.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BlueDuck

You're still alive?!

Didn't you jump out of a window in "Lonesome Dove"?

wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by BlueDuck

You're still alive?!

Didn't you jump out of a window in "Lonesome Dove"?

wink

Turns out the old lady was right after all. He could fly wink

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
know this is an old thread - saw it while stuck on a plane. Much better movie than I anticipated and went in a direction I didn't exect.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Decent movie, nice scenery, but the story wasn’t told well in that I don’t think they showed any adequate reason why a man with 20+ years of violent racial hatred behind him suddenly changes his mind 180 degrees. Same could be said of Mrs. Quaid; her entire family is brutally murdered in front of her which completely unhinges her mind but a few days later she’s all friendly and offering comfort to the Indians. The acting was very good but there never was any real catharsis to justify Capt. Blocker’s change of heart which is the whole point of the movie.

Thank goodness for closed captions, otherwise I’d never have understood half of that mumbled, low toned dialogue.

I will say that the scene with Blocker and Cpl. Woodson in the infirmary was excellent, two stoic men bound by years of shared danger expressing their mutual respect and admiration and knowing that they won’t see each other again.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
L
L
I think its a usual action film. There's nothing special about it. I didn't finish it since it feels like I can predict what will happen next.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The underlying message I took from the movie is that as humans, hostility is in our nature. No matter what walk of life we come from.

I thought the movie was just ok. Kind of slow moving. Enjoyed the scenery.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good. Not great. Kinda slow for my taste.

Unforgiven is still my #1, with Open Range a distant, but solid second.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Wife and I watched it on Netflix.....never have time to watch a whole movie together in 1 sitting so we did it piece-wise. We both liked it. Agreed with the thought that we're all hostiles....but some (races as a whole and individuals within a race) control it differently.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really like it.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've seen this movie two more times since I posted in April and I have to say it's easily in the top five westerns ever made. Possibly the best three.

I love it.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 69 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.