Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
M
mow1954 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
After years of good deals, I let my guard down a bit and got ripped off. I made a deal with a guy to buy a Kimber CDP, sent him a cashiers check, and copy of FFL for shipping. He kept responding that he never got it. I called the bank, and the check had been cashed, with his name signed to it. He gave me some story about having a brother in law who was an ex con that he was worried about. He then quit responding to email etc.

His named Clyde Voorhees from Iowa City, Iowa. He may also use Lone Tree, Iowa. His email is bricknationsreddishgmail.com. Unfortunately, I didn't make note of his screen name as our communications were email. I never got a phone for him either (did I mention I let my guard down a bit...). I have the law looking for him, but don't have very high hopes. Please watch out for this guy, and sorry I don't have more detail to provide.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You made the deal on this site?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm sorry that happened to you. Happened to me twice, one from this board.

When I am in doubt I tell the seller to ship it through his FFL or no deal.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry for your loss and thanks for the heads up. Maybe some good Fire folks out that way can help in some way.
I hope it wasn't this site. If not, what site was it?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Reloder28

How does this help you? Do you have contact with the FFL to the extent that he can verify that you are dealing with a stand up guy,or do you pay the FFL? Just trying to figure it out. I've had sellers send through FFL but all I did was send the contact info of my FFL.

IC B2

M
Mrg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This is the same guy that screwed my buddy on LRH, looks like they removed his name from the thread but its the same guy. Some of the guys in this thread have taken steps to track him down already, maybe one of them can put you in touch with the same LEO they are already dealing with. Good luck, hopefully this dick gets what he deserves.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f130/scam-alert-user-name-usastripes-185938/

Last edited by Mrg; 07/06/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If not dealing with someone with good forum credentials and a high user rating, getting "Proof of Life" pics and a phone call are the best ways to defeat these cheats. And of course avoid Armslist for any internet purchases. 99% of them are scams.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by TallPine
If not dealing with someone with good forum credentials and a high user rating, getting "Proof of Life" pics and a phone call are the best ways to defeat these cheats. And of course avoid Armslist for any internet purchases. 99% of them are scams.

there are facebook pics of him, addresses and phone numbers online...older dude that likes to smoke. i'd imagine the local popo are familiar.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by Reloder28

How does this help you? Do you have contact with the FFL to the extent that he can verify that you are dealing with a stand up guy,or do you pay the FFL? Just trying to figure it out. I've had sellers send through FFL but all I did was send the contact info of my FFL.

Tried this. Even talked with the FFL... he was in cohoots with the seller! The $ amount was not worth my extra medication to proceed with legal action. Wrote it off as - lesson learn - keep your guard up - stay away from ArmsList - and if I'm ever in FL I'll pay a visit to....

If things were as obvious as they initially appear . . . then men would be riding horseback sidesaddle . . . and not women. - Will Rogers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If he claims to not signing the check then there is a forgery, contact your bank and file your complaint then contact the local police where the guy lives and file a forgery complaint, get a copy of the check for your records

NRA Life Member. Illinois Rifle Assoc Life Member, USN,
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I won't risk much $$ at all on someone I don't know pretty well from the forums. I might still get burned but at least I know it isn't some scam artist who just joined to make some $$.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
He appears to be living in Lone Tree. Did you send the money to a PO box or addy? I live in Iowa and would be happy to take information to the local authorities. If you want to send me a copy of the check and transaction stuff I will take it to the LEO's, of that would help.

I'd also enjoy stomping the chit out of him for you, but need to avoid jail this week.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
His name pops up on the forums a lot. Major crook.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
CLYDE Vorhees is a thief. Just using an alternative spelling in case someone googles an alternative spelling that he uses sometimes. Looks like an old druggie from what I could find of his pictures and Facebook stuff. Sure like to see this guy get charged with the felonies he has committed.

M
mow1954 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the replies and offers guys. He gave me an address. I looked it up on Google Maps, and it is in a little trailer park on the outskirts of town.... I tried to go direct to the Iowa City PD, but they told me I had to start with my home PD, which I have done. The local officer I talked to is a Campfire member, and said he would look into this one personally.... I don't expect much, but hopefully this post will keep someone else from getting scammed by this guy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gotta love the fact that local LEO is 'fire member.

Trailer parkin', chain-smoking druggie.....sounds like a great guy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by broomd
Gotta love the fact that local LEO is 'fire member.

Second That!

-----Life's too short to hunt with an ugly rifle or shotgun.-----
-----NRA Lifetime Endowment Member-----
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
contact the Iowa DCI cyber fraud unit, looks like this guy has been doing a lot of forum scams. Doubt you will get much help from Johnson county either. He has family and a PO bx in Conesville Iowa.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

325 members (1lesfox, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 968 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,644
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.