Print Thread
Hop To
N
North61 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I have not been as happy as I'd like to be re bullets for the 307 Winchester. I'd like to try out some heavier bullets at about 2300fps for moose and bear. This would pretty much put the 307 in the same class as the old 33 Winchester which had a great reputation on moose. Hawk makes 190 grainers but they are hard to find.

So I took some 200 grain Speer Hot-Core spitzers and chucked them in a collet die on my Taig Lathe. 7.5 grains of removal gives a nice flat point and 192.5 grain Flat Nosed bullets. I am getting bullets withing .8 grains of each other and though not overly precise I hope they will shoot well and guess that they will.

I figure the big opening will expand nicely and I put in two cannelures in to lock in the core and too assist with crimping.

How too videos here..I tried to do a photo essay but can't seem to upload today.

Lathe work and an update on Hornady 307 Brass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zJpOz6nzms

Cannelure tool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9L-bobch3g&t=67s

Last edited by North61; 02/11/18.
GB1

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Nosler and Swift both make a flat nosed partition bullet, 170 gr, that would work just fine and not come apart.

Woodleigh and Lapua both make 200/220 gr RN SPs that a few swipes with a file would make tubular safe.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Good stuff, really appreciate you putting this amount of work. Which bullets have you tried and found lacking? I haven't tried many myself, had high hopes for 150gr TSX but after shooting one deer with it I didn't try it again due to its performance. The partition is interesting, but pricey. Hope you find something that works great for cheaper.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When I use my 307 for something larger than a Whitetail I use the Partition bullets. Price is not a factor for hunting bullets.

N
North61 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Good stuff, really appreciate you putting this amount of work. Which bullets have you tried and found lacking? I haven't tried many myself, had high hopes for 150gr TSX but after shooting one deer with it I didn't try it again due to its performance. The partition is interesting, but pricey. Hope you find something that works great for cheaper.

Truthfully I haven't had bad experiences yet. The 307 is new to me and I reckon that bullets designed for 2100fps muzzle velocity might react badly to 2400 + fps. I have liked the action of 200 Speers in a 308 and thought these would be worth a try as a base for something a tad heavier. The Swifts and Noslers would be fine. Can't find them easily up here in the Yukon. I can get Woodleighs but they make the FN in 150 grains. A 200 Woodleigh RN Flat Nosed would be worth a whirl!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I would have thought that bullet would have been a good one, what specifically didn't you like about it?

Gerry.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
North: Are you familiar with the Hanned Line Small Game Bullet tool for 22 rimfire? It is a cylindrical tool bored out to accept a 22 rimfire cartridge. The face is hardened and a small portion of the bullet tip sticks above the hardened face. A few licks with a file and voila - any rimfire round accurate in your rifle has a flat nose meplat. That system is not only faster to use than what your doing in a lathe but it also is more accurate in that a more precise amount of lead is removed from the bullet tip. You all ready have a lathe and if you do not have a furnace to harden the tool I am sure any machinist can help you out.
Regarding turning cannalures in bullets I would be cautious. There have been documented cases of bullets separating at the cannelure during target penetration. Granted the impact velocities were higher than what your operating at and bullet diameter smaller. I use a Lee Factory Crimp die for my 356 Winchester.
Check out Norma Alaska bullets and Kodiak Bonded Bullets.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by gerry35

I would have thought that bullet would have been a good one, what specifically didn't you like about it?

Shot a good size doe at about 150yds, made a good hit. She ran off, and I couldn't find any blood. Luckily there was snow on the ground, so the next morning I got a friend and we followed the various deer trails in the snow till the sound of magpies led us to her. Don't know exactly how far she went but it was quite a long way, probably the longest recovery I've had. It appeared that the hide may have moved a bit and plugged the holes off, but internal damage wasn't that impressive. Only an example of one, could easily have been a fluke but I didn't feel like trying it again. Shot a meduim size buck at about 50 yards with the factory 180gr Power Point, came apart badly on the shoulder but enough made it into the chest cavity to do the job. That one dropped on the spot but jumped up and made it about 20 yards. Have neglected the rifle for a while, planning to get shooting it again this year and find a good load for it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info on the 150 gr TSX, I would be hesitant too after that. The 150 gr Woodleigh might be a great deer bullet and not too bad of a price at Tradeex. Got to get a 307 again soon lol.

Looking forward to seeing how those modified Speer's work out, really neat project..............

Gerry.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I use Kodiak 250gr flat nose in my 356win when hunting deer in brown bear country, it appears their out of business. Does anyone know of a source for them? In the 307win, think the swift would be hard to beat, can always order online.

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
here are some Nosler 152 grain round nose monos in 308 dia. at SPS, the might fit the bill.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Some have been known to load them backwards.

1Minute
N
North61 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by bobmn
North: Are you familiar with the Hanned Line Small Game Bullet tool for 22 rimfire? It is a cylindrical tool bored out to accept a 22 rimfire cartridge. The face is hardened and a small portion of the bullet tip sticks above the hardened face. A few licks with a file and voila - any rimfire round accurate in your rifle has a flat nose meplat. That system is not only faster to use than what your doing in a lathe but it also is more accurate in that a more precise amount of lead is removed from the bullet tip. You all ready have a lathe and if you do not have a furnace to harden the tool I am sure any machinist can help you out.
Regarding turning cannalures in bullets I would be cautious. There have been documented cases of bullets separating at the cannelure during target penetration. Granted the impact velocities were higher than what your operating at and bullet diameter smaller. I use a Lee Factory Crimp die for my 356 Winchester.
Check out Norma Alaska bullets and Kodiak Bonded Bullets.

Bob: No I haven't seen the tool you mention but can picture the concept. I could likely make something like that. We have a forge and I make knives so hardening is not a problem. Might give it a whirl if I can find the time.

The Corbin cannelure tool presses in the groove and doesn't cut it in. Perfectly safe. I also use a Lee Factory crimp die but find a double cannelure actually helps lock the core to the jacket when penetrating heavy game.

N
North61 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
People have asked how these modified 192.5 Speer bullets worked out. It was a busy day at the range but gave them a preliminary test. I think, I might try something else to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8WSFm2rkvU

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Karl Mielke at Alaska Bullet Works is still answering their phones in Juneau. They have made quality 348 and 50 caliber bullets
in the past for me. Good bonded core bullet that holds together.

At these M-94 velocities, the Hawk people make a pretty good bullet. I have used them in 33 WCF and all bullet weights in the 348 WCF
and 348 Ackley. They understand the requirements of lever action tubular magazines, and make good flat points.
They also handle special orders-like a few boxes of 225 gr FP in 348 WCF. That is an excellent weight bullet for the Model 71.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,228 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,208
Posts18,466,125
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.