Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I started shooting skeet almost 20 years ago. This was my first experience shooting many rounds at once. Not liking all the recoil, I switched from 12ga to 20ga then 28ga. As the 20 & 28 guns are lighter, I did not find any relief. So I went back to 12ga and began reloading wimpy loads by using lower powder recipes, which helped some. These lower powder loads also would not cycle my A-5 (especially in winter) and do not recock the hammer on my Superposed. So I have to use factory shells for my first shot on the doubles. It wasn't until I began loading 7/8 oz and 3/4 oz recipes, along with a heavier 12ga gun (Ruger red label sporting clays) that I finally felt some relief. Using #9 shot still gives me plenty of pellets to break the skeet birds. -Jim

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm in the same position as JT402. I had bypass surgery in 2012 after three heart attacks. I'm on blood thinners and bruise easily. I load 3/4 ounce target ammo for my 20 gauge Beretta over/under and 7/8 ounce ammo for my 12 gauge guns. I sold my 28 gauge over/under as I no longer have a dog and don't bird hunt anymore. I use a Beretta A400 XCel with kick-off stock for most of my target shooting. It reduces the recoil to the point where I can even shoot 3 dram equivalent 1-1/8 ounce loads. I still mainly shoot 1 ounce loads in that gun. If you reload, try loading 3/4 ounce 20 gauge loads.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
J
jt402 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
OK, gentlemen. I tested the 20 ga low recoil, low noise load, AA 7/8 oz at 980 this morning. It functioned just fine by loading and ejecting from the Benelli Montefeltro and it functioned as well in the old Browning Superposed with no failures to set the second trigger pull. I shot several rounds in rapid succession and there are no bruise marks on my shoulder. One thing I did notice was that the shell cases were made with compression bases. I suspect they have been warehoused for a while. At least for now, my problem seems to be solved. The compression hull worries me that the supply is not endless......As long as this ammo is available, i see no reason to buy a 28 gauge.

Best Wishes to all,

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 03/09/18.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
J
jt402 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
My next quest is for the 24 gram load for the 12 Beretta O/U. I suspect they will also work out just fine. The velocity difference may screw up my "lead" as imprinted in my pea brain.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
J
jt402 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
My next quest is for the 24 gram load for the 12 Beretta O/U. I suspect they will also work out just fine. The velocity difference may screw up my "lead" as imprinted in my pea brain.

Jack

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
At my club today while helping run the trap league shoot I noticed one guy was experiencing significantly less recoil than everyone else in his group. They were all shooting over/unders.
He told me to check out Soft Touch Custom Stocks and said it was the best thing for his shooting. Since I hate recoil too, I am going to check it out.
Has anyone here had any experience with this or similar products?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have borrowed guns with similar devices and can say they do work. My main objections are the weight they add, the possibility of the screws loosening, and the cost. They can be used when shooting from a gun down position but seem to be at their best when shooting a pre-mounted gun.

Besides the recoil reduction, the best feature I thought to be the adjustability of the stock. I could adjust the stock as I gained or lost weight or if the thickness of outerwear changed significantly. The negative of this is the more often one changes settings, the easier the settings could change. For "set and forget" I feel a stock fitting is better and much cheaper way to go.

I considered something like this for my wife but having the stock fitted to her ended up to be the better option. Many have used these devices with good results so it really is up to the individual as only they know their needs and wants.

J
jt402 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Sorry that others share my problem, but it is nice to know that there are solutions. We are thinking of downsizing and room to reload does not always exist in "compact housing." I live in a full size place now, and still I warehouse some guns with the daughters. One has a giant work bench, suitable for reloading. Problem is a 2 1/2 hour drive one way.......

Best to all,

Jack

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
On the factory 20 ga/ 3/4 oz issue, Fiocchi makes a good one. They are so light they will not cycle any gas gun I’ve seen, but are great in a double. Just over 1100 fps.

J
jt402 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Report on the Saturday dove shoot. I carried only one gun for the opener, a 20 Benilli Montefeltro 20 ga. For ammo, I shot the Winchester AA Low Recoil Low Noise rated at 980 fps with 7/8 oz of #8 shot. A modified choke in the Benilli. I shot about twenty rounds wearing a shooting shirt with one extra layer of heavy twill for a shoulder patch. No failure to operate the inertia action.

The combo killed the birds well and best of all I have not even the slightest bruise on my shoulder. Because of commitments at church, I came home Saturday evening, skipping the three day scheduled event.

The ammo is a little expensive, about $8, but I will be fortunate to get in more than three more hunts this season.

Best,

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 09/03/18.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

437 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 1,891 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,216
Posts18,447,389
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.