Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Recently this winter, a group of 4 Alaskans ran a fast handling and accuracy trial of Model 71s against bolt action rifles. The experiment
was to be as fair and balanced as possible to insure repeatable results. The shooters then also exchanged rifles,
to give a true picture of all concerned factors in a non-biased venue. The Model 71s were twice as fast as the bolt rifles,
AND were more accurate at the ranges tested.

These riflemen were above average in size, and cycled both types of rifles with all the energy necessary.
One of the factors emerging as possibly needing further testing was barrel length. One rifle was a 458 Win Magnum.
One Model 71 was a 450 Alaskan. Another lever rifle was a Model 71 in 348 WCF.
A Marlin Guide gun in 45-70 with barrel length shading under 20" according to the shooters, was no faster than the bolt guns.
Part of this was due to balance issues and perceived recoil in a shorter package.

Some possible conclusions:
1} 22 inch or the original 24 in barrel may provide extra momentum in the levering reload cycle.
2} The internal design of the original Winchester 1886/Model 71 has designed-in fast handling smooth characteristics
3) 24 in barrels provide more velocity, longer sight radius, and may assist in fast cyclic chambering of additional cartridges

More details may be forthcoming on this rifle comparison.

Last edited by 450Fuller; 02/05/18.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Very interesting! Nothing beats a Win 71!

Ken
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
looking forward to the details!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Rifles involved in the test:
Remington 700s- Safari in 458 WM-24 in BBL; Winchester Model 71s in 450 Alaskan and 348WCF-24 in Barrels; Marlin Guide Gun-181/2 in BBL.-45-70 GOVT

AMMUNITION: Loads used were factory and hand loaded cartridges. 458 cartridges were hand loaded, factory, some reduced to duplicate 450 Alaskan-45-70 comparable pressures, recoil, and velocity . The aim in the test being to equalize recoil effect among lever rifles and bolt guns-as much as possible-to insure a valid test.

Participants were experienced hunters whose knowledge of both type actions insured equitable evaluation with no bias or built-in favoritism to either type of
rifle action.
Ranges: 25-50-75 yards
Test Measurement Areas: Accuracy:shot placement Speed: Number of aimed shots over time Action Cycled: Flawless ejection/extraction relative smoothness

Test weighted toward handling dangerous game-(Bears in Alaska)
This interjects a reality factor, and was a major reason for the test. {My own research involved a 348 Ackley
Model 71 against a 338-06 Model 70 and a 338 Win Magnum -both were pre-64 Model 70s---similar results}

The Winchester Model 71s were far and away the smoother cycling-ejecting of all rifles tested. They were TWICE as fast as the bolt guns.
Surprisingly, at the speed they were fired-they were also the most accurate on target.
Ergonomics in cycling was appreciated and noticed by the shooters.
Rifles were exchanged-then the bolt gun shooters handled and fired the lever action rifles, and vice versa.
Results were : Roughly the SAME RESULTS with different shooters.

Marlin Guide Gun-18 1/2 inch barrel-45-70. This rifle is being evaluated separately as none of the shooters
were particularly impressed by its characteristics. Speed of handling and accuracy fell short
of the Model 71 rifles, while accuracy was only equal to the bolt action.
The length of barrel was felt to be the major cause of handling difficulty. Balance was thrown off
in the cycling phase during ejection/rechambering. {I have an early-no extra safety- 1895 Marlin 45-70 with 22 in barrel. It handles pretty well and is accurate}.

CONCLUSIONS:
Barrel length is important in lever action extraction/ejection cycling. Balance is critical . Barrel length less than 22 inches may affect accurate shooting;
cycling the action, sight radius, and overall speed of smooth handling.

For dangerous game conditions in Lower 48-Canada-Alaska, the Winchester Model 71 in its original 348 WCF caliber and including the 450 Alaskan-
may be the fastest and smoothest handing lever action rifle V. bolt action available. Its accuracy was also amazing under pressure
of fast ejection, chambering rounds and cycling of the action.

Similar to the findings of the government panel reviewing the famous Sharps rifle {Old Reliable}-the Winchester Model 71 is Simple-strong-and well designed.
(John Browning would have liked having it on a grizzly hunt.)

Last edited by 450Fuller; 02/08/18.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've got an early Marlin XLR 1895 45-70 that's much smoother to operate than my old Marlin Guide Gun. I think my XLR would compare favorably against my own 71 and 86 models. It would be interesting to see what they thought of the smooth XLR.

IC B2

M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Thanks for posting the results. Taking all the tests into account, shows the practical validity in real life scenarios. Kudos.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Cool post, thank you.

I shoot my Guide gun a lot and carry it while hiking in bear country as it goes well w/ my hat. When I am shooting cowboy loads I can run it fast and hard w/ great hits to 100 yds.

When shooting Buffalo Bore, HSM or Garrett bear loads the muzzle goes to almost straight up w/ each shot and my shot to shot times are much slower but I can whack milk jugs out about 200 yards as fast as I can get back on target. The GG is light and handy and and I like carrying it and having it in camp in bear country.

That being said I am now craving a big bore 71

mike r

Last edited by lvmiker; 02/09/18.

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Another factor is the great angle that the 71 pistol grip holds the hand and arm...gives excellent leverage for initiating the lever throw. I have a Marlin guide gun in 450 Marlin and the straight stock gives limited leverage and ensures a nice rap to the knuckles with every shot. The running moose I took with my 71 about 18 months ago now I doubt I would have taken with any other rifle in my stable. The amazing balance helps first shot speed and target acquisition as well as follow up shots. Manageable recoil also helps. A truly great piece of equipment.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
An excellent point. The ergonomics of the pistol grip area and the necessary curve of the lever combine with balance and barrel length to really produce a
unique rifle. My largest whitetail buck was taken years ago with a Model 71, and the running shot would not even have been attempted with one of my scoped rifles.
I also made an impossible shot on a bobcat actually stalking moving deer in a small group. More recently in Alaska, I caught up with a moose in the willows
and the M 71 finished the hunt.
Now that you mention it, I have two Model 1886 smokeless -era rifles in 33 WCF. The 86-33 WCF combination was the precursors to the 348 Model 71. The
half magazine rapid taper-straight lever grip- standard 86 is pretty fast, but not as smoothly functioning as the M71. The other 86 is a checked special order in 33 WCF,
with a pistol grip and curved lever like the Model 71. You can tell where Winchester got the idea for the Model 71.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Winchester made a few model 71 rifles in 33 cal,and a couple in 45-70. A friend of mine has a early long tang deluxe in 33 but i cant get it away from him !! smile Don

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 450Fuller
.... You can tell where Winchester got the idea for the Model 71.

The credit for the stock design of the 71 (plus the 64 and 65) is usually given to an NRA design team headed by Townsend Whelen. 30-some years before that, his personal 1895 was modified with a similar shaped stock.
[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You are on target Mitch, as to the stock and forend design. Whelen/NRA suggested that the forend be a bit beefier for recoil handling.

A German named Gerlich I think got to Winchester about 1934 as they were puzzling over a design to incorporate the best features
of lever actions they were to discontinue. The large variety of cartridges in the 1886 was a factor. Gerlich influenced the design team, as they settled
on the new 34 later 348 WCF caliber-and in the first couple of years one could get a 33WCF or 45-70 GOVT chambering. Winchester settled on the M-71 design that closely resembled the 86 but with special order features like the half magazine and pistol grip. This was still the depression era, and Winchester felt it like other manufacturers.
Pre-WWII, Winchester made every effort to still satisfy the customer-as George Madis points out in his books.

I can't help but wonder if someone might have prevailed upon Winchester to chamber the M-71 in 45-90 for a few rifles.
That would have filled a gap in smokeless loadings and power.

Going back to our topic: Originally, as much as the M-71 short rifle or carbine has become sought after by collectors, I think the
shorter barrel lacks rifle balance necessary for smooth slick handling as compared to the full length 24 in barrel version.
I have not tested my theory, as the 20 inch standard weight barrel M-71 is scarce and I do not own one,
My 22 inch medium heavy barrel 450 offers no cycling issues, so it is possible that the pistol grip and curved lever take up
the cycling angle force and re-chambering well enough for a fast slick action.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
But nobody carries the 71 because it is too heavy, too long. So they all go back to packing the Guide Gun because it is just handier.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the informative post documenting the follow- up shot speed and accuracy tests. Well done!

It documented what I have known for years and what any shooter of both bolts and levers intuitively feels and knows.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by crshelton; 02/11/18. Reason: update

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by dla
But nobody carries the 71 because it is too heavy, too long. So they all go back to packing the Guide Gun because it is just handier.

Enter the age of the girly-man. Nothin' wrong with a Guide Gun, but it ain't a 71.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I believe your correct about the longer barrel balancing out the rifle and equalizing resistance of the lever throw. I've only tried it on my Marlin GG vs Marlin XLR and it seems to be easier to use the longer rifle with speed. I could try it on my Win 71's as I've got two short 20" Brownings and one longer Winchester but honestly I'm still building up ammo resources, but my Marlins offer a similiar analog.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by tmitch
Originally Posted by dla

Enter the age of the girly-man. Nothin' wrong with a Guide Gun, but it ain't a 71.

+1

It's sacrilegious to suggest anything marlin is equitable or even in the same league as a Winchester 71 or 1886!

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the very interesting test results!
I use/carry both the carbine and rifle length Winchester model 71s in 348.
The 20” carbine is a bit lighter and shorter, making it easier to maneuver through the woods.
I’d give the 24” rifle the nod for a bit better balance and accuracy, but not enough for me to prefer carrying it over the carbine.
Between the two, I’ve never noticed a difference in cycling time for accurate repeat shots, but I’ve never gotten serious about testing one against the other.
I frequently use a model 70 xtr Featherweight (red pad) 30/06 that has an action that is smooth as butter, but it doesn’t compare to the Model 71s for quick, on target repeat shots.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Loggah
Winchester made a few model 71 rifles in 33 cal,and a couple in 45-70. A friend of mine has a early long tang deluxe in 33 but i cant get it away from him !! smile Don

Don,

When you finally get him to break down and sell it to you, let me know so I can beg you to sell it to me😁

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
that test should have been against a Browning BLR ,I have a deluxe 348 win. ,Marlin guide gun and some BLR`S too all are nice rifles , my choice after shooting all these rifles the 348 and 45-70 are not as accurate as a BLR ,the 71 or the guide gun are no faster than a BLR Browning all are lever rifles ,with the larger cartridges in the BLR like a 300 win.mag. is really more powerful than the other two and the other two 348 and 45-70 are short range cartridges compared too a 300 win.mag. as far as weight goes if you have trouble hunting with a little heavier rifle just how do you handle hunting in the wild country ?

Last edited by pete53; 06/28/18.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

381 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 38 invisible), 1,802 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,379
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.