Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'm stuck sitting around recovering from another surgery with way too much time on my hands.

While dreaming on a gun site, I saw a single trigger drilling with a tang safety. Greeners make me nuts, and double triggers are tough for me to operate with my buggered right hand. I really prefer single triggers and tang safeties.

Dreaming big... Lets see, if i got one in 16 gauge and 9.3x74r put an insert in, got the stock twisted and shortened, put pivots and a nice variable. I'd have a go anywhere do anything gun. Of course, I'd be 150 years old before the gunsmith would be done and I wouldn't have enough money to buy a cup of coffee, let alone buy ammo or go hunting.

So how do they work?
My old Superposed has a selective safety, while my Chapuis fires right then left. But I can't do the mental math for three choices, especially if you add an einstecklauf or insert in one of the shotgun barrels.
Thanks
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My friend Fly...

A FEW single trigger drillings have been made, but they are complicated workings and working. Chances are that the shooter would never get enough range time to master just where the hll you are in all the complexities if a fast adjustment for the proper barrel presented itself. Your best bet is a Merkel 96/Simson 90 tang safety drilling or a later Kreighoff Trumpf as your best compromise, and even at that you just might launch a 286gr bomb downrange at a pheasant or grouse, since the rifle selector is on the tang next to the safety.

Imagine selecting the correct barrel and operating the safety at the same time on a fast jump shot and coming out with the right tube. It's a lot easier for anyone who doesn't put 50-100 rounds a day through the gun to push off a safety and reach for the correct trigger, trust me. I once exploded a straight-away francolin with a 286gr Woodleigh soft to the horror and amazement of four trackers, so even simpler combos can screw up; it's the gun's fault. whistle whistle I was shooting a Valmet 412 12/9,3X74R with a SST and had it set on the wrong barrel.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Bwana francolin, Thanks, i suspected i wouldn't be smart enough to run one.😆

I'll probably never own one. I am curious how you can make the choice of what barrel you shoot.

Having seen the inside of normal greener safety drillings, I can't imagine how complicated and how tight the clearances must be in there. Must be a nightmare to keep in adjustment.
Wish I could have seen the francolin shot. I am sure, had you been planning to use the rifle barrel, it would have been a head shot.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackfly1
Bwana francolin, Thanks, i suspected i wouldn't be smart enough to run one.😆

I'll probably never own one. I am curious how you can make the choice of what barrel you shoot.

Having seen the inside of normal greener safety drillings, I can't imagine how complicated and how tight the clearances must be in there. Must be a nightmare to keep in adjustment.
Wish I could have seen the francolin shot. I am sure, had you been planning to use the rifle barrel, it would have been a head shot.
Bfly

That's exactly why I no longer use HP rifles on straight-aways. If they are at angles 15 degrees or more I do like a rifle, and my favorite shot is to lop off the head just behind it at the base of the skull. It's far less messy and doesn't pollute my game bag with brain tissue, which is nearly impossible to remove after it dries over a long day's hunt.

Glad I could clear this up for you.

L2S

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I haven’t shot my drilling’s since I moved back to my home state of Florida from Alaska. After 5 years in storage I couldn’t remember what lever or trigger did what. Took me about 3 days to figure out how to operate my gun. Now try doing that while shooing away a brown bear. Go thing I wasn’t in a Alaska salmon stream anymore.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,293 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,248
Posts18,466,936
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.