Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
emery Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Been using cfe 223 and cfe bulk,in my varmint rifles, a vartarg,223 a.i.,fireball and a 6b.r..Those powders pretty much takes care of copper in the different barrels, but leaves a fair amount of powder fowling, what's the best solvent for removing the powder fouling?

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My favorite the last couple years has been Bore Tech Eliminator, it gets the powder and copper. just because you shoot CFE doesn't mean there is no copper just reduced ammounts

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Bore Tech makes good products but I've found Wipe Out works a little faster. Montana Extreme is good if you use it outside. If overnight is okay, Shooter's Choice still works well. I've tried Butch's Bore Shine, Hoppe's Benchrest, and probably many others. Don't remember much about them so I guess results weren't too remarkable.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by boatanchor
My favorite the last couple years has been Bore Tech Eliminator, it gets the powder and copper. just because you shoot CFE doesn't mean there is no copper just reduced ammounts

Concur on this one only its been more like 10 years for me. Defiantly still takes some time & elbow grease. Yet Bore tech gets the job done.

Never hurts to remind that a good bore guide & cleaning rod are important as well. Otherwise we risk doing more harm than good.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Hoppes BR9........Kroil

Butches & Kroil......shot wet after cleaning

my varmint barrels are Pac Nor.....using moly coated boolits

precision barrels will foul less...requiring less aggressive solvents

along with less cleaning.....every 100 rds or so in the p/dog fields

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
who knows, Emery has been here 6 weeks, or less and has 26 posts...

for some reason, I've already got him on ignore...

probably for being another leftist troll....

so my recommendation is to use dishwater, with a high salt content...

let it air dry afterwards in a cool, damp wet environment...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

E
emery Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Seafire, if you have me on ignore why waste your time on this post? just to educate you heres my leftist troll credentials, brown water navy, served as a gunners mate,68 and 69,life member N.R.A.,was a life member of V.H.A. until they wen't bankrupt, concealed carry permit holder, voted for Trump and will again,I wan't to thank you for info.on the 223 and bluedot i've put to good use.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

well now......................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

my kinda guy !

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by emery
Seafire, if you have me on ignore why waste your time on this post? just to educate you heres my leftist troll credentials, brown water navy, served as a gunners mate,68 and 69,life member N.R.A.,was a life member of V.H.A. until they wen't bankrupt, concealed carry permit holder, voted for Trump and will again,I wan't to thank you for info.on the 223 and bluedot i've put to good use.

Well I certainly have no problem being put in my place and being corrected when I am wrong...

I owe you a thank you for doing so.. and an apology evidently...

Doesn't sound like you would be the type I'd put on ignore.. far from it...

So it must have been a screw up on my end for some reason..

A screw up I have promptly corrected....

cheers and best regards

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

E
emery Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Seafire, Apology accepted,I'm sure if we ever met we would find we had a lot in common.Never could figure out what I did to get on your poop list, that's now in the past.Bye the way,I bought one of those (my pillows) love it,I named it donald trump, cause I sleep so much better knowing he's President. I thank God every day he did win, cause if Hillary had I believe you could have stuck a fork in the good old U.S.A. could we would have been done.Best regards.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
thanks Emery,

I am sure I got you confused with someone else......

appreciate your understanding sir..

cheers and best regards

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I second the Bore Tech Eliminator as well. Started using it this year and it is awesome stuff! Bore Tech also makes a solvent just for carbon fouling as well that doesnt remove copper.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Seafire
who knows, Emery has been here 6 weeks, or less and has 26 posts...

for some reason, I've already got him on ignore...

probably for being another leftist troll....

so my recommendation is to use dishwater, with a high salt content...

let it air dry afterwards in a cool, damp wet environment...

that's funny, good one seafire

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got them all, from Sweets to Speedy's Formula to Kroil, the entire mess. I also have Hoppes White Album Number Nine. I will say that the special sauce I'm liking the most is Wipe Out or Patch out, mostly for what it does to copper. But BR 9 and regular 9 seem to work well enough for the powder part of the equation, knowing that CARBON is a little different than powder fouling.

Of course, if you want your life to be perfect, do what JB does and use Dyna.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use Wipe-Out foam. Works great. Follow the directions on the can.

And thank you for your service.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I use Butch's Bore Shine on my S & W M/29, the rifles get Boretech Eliminator and JB Compound & Kroil as needed.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Bore Tech Eliminator for me also

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I like Montana Extreme, but my sinuses are toast anyhow. It's a VERY strong aroma, and requires a solid dose of fresh air afterwards. It's about as good as I've seen. It's stout stuff.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Another for Bore tech Eliminator!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Another +1 for Montana extreme. But others are right, you need good ventilation,

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Pretty much any of them will do the job. My issue is with CFE-223 powder. Yes it seems to greatly reduce copper fouling, but it isn't a panacea for it doesn't eliminate fouling entirely. I follow the same cleaning protocols as before, and am pleased to find I require fewer passes when cleaning up behind it, and can continue shooting somewhat longer before accuracy goes south but that's about it. I like the powder primarily for the accuracy I get with it and its wonderful metering.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Powder is the easy part.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I've got them all, from Sweets to Speedy's Formula to Kroil, the entire mess. I also have Hoppes White Album Number Nine. I will say that the special sauce I'm liking the most is Wipe Out or Patch out, mostly for what it does to copper. But BR 9 and regular 9 seem to work well enough for the powder part of the equation, knowing that CARBON is a little different than powder fouling.

Of course, if you want your life to be perfect, do what JB does and use Dyna.

What ecactly IS the difference between carbon and powder fouling? I never imagined a difference.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wipe Out is all I use anymore. It works very well for me.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I use to use GM top engine cleaner , they changed the formula - I read it didn't work as well .
SO now I hear SeaFoam cleans carbon out of barrels , just bought a can to try it out .

I don't remove copper anymore a well known LR shooter advised he didn't remove copper - I gave it a try in a few rifles and really enjoy hitting bullseyes first round cold barrel . Just saying .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've been using MC25 to remove the carbon fouling in my rifles. It's water soluble and doesn't smell. It removes the carbon fouling quickly. Of course, you still have copper fouling to be concerned about. I like Wipe-Out, but don't like the foaming action which sometimes gets out of hand. If copper fouling is still an issue after using MC25, I often use Iosso on a shotgun patch wrapped around a undersize brush.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Barnes CR-10

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I use to use GM top engine cleaner , they changed the formula - I read it didn't work as well .
SO now I hear SeaFoam cleans carbon out of barrels , just bought a can to try it out .

I don't remove copper anymore a well known LR shooter advised he didn't remove copper - I gave it a try in a few rifles and really enjoy hitting bullseyes first round cold barrel . Just saying .

that's a old secret of long range shooters, now you left the cat out of the bag, have been doing this for 40 some years

Last edited by gemby58; 03/14/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't quote me on this, but carbon is powder fouling pretty much caked and baked on. You take something burnt and then burn it in more, basically. Powder deposition is when the hot powder gas actually condenses like steam does onto cool metal. But the carbon is when the deposited guck gets nuked onto the metal after it's already attached.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I just finished cleaning a 243 that I had a lot of burnt vitrified carbon in the barrel. Started with Shooters choice, then a bronze brush, then kroil, then a nylon brush, then Butches bore shine, all of this over about two weeks of soaking with no luck. Then I dug out the Wipe Out Foam and Wipe Out accelerator. It still took about a week of overnight soaks. Finally came clean after about three weeks of soaking. In 55 plus years of shooting I have never powder fouled one this bad. I shot H100v.

Last edited by J71248; 03/21/18.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 51 invisible), 1,929 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,727
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.