Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sixpack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My time with shotguns is limited to very few: a couple of Browning Auto 5s, Remington 870s, a Stoeger Coach gun and a Fox SXS. I don’t use a shotgun for much: dove hunt 4-5 times a year, squirrel in early season (rimfire after that), turkey hunting (seldom), and the occasional rabbit hunt but would like a nice one for the above as a kind of “all a rounder”. If a fellow was looking for a nice over and under 20 gauge with 26” barrels that was good quality (doesn’t need to be best but only want to buy once) and would last a lifetime, what would you look at? I’m fairly clueless on these guns and any/all suggestions appreciated.

**ADD: I have limited funds but don’t have a specific budget if that makes since. I’d rather wait and get a $12-1500 shotgun rather than rush out to get a $500 one that doesn’t fit/swing/function nice.**

BP-B2

C
C
If you must have a 26 inch 20Ga, I would look for a Browning.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Browning or Beretta, whichever fits you the best.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another vote for Browning in the 12-1500 price range. Please don’t buy a 26 though.
Go 28 at a minimum. How bout a 16 bore Citori? It’s got the cool factor. But again, 28’s at a min on a O/U

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have had over 15 Browning Superposed 20 gauges.... they fit me perfectly and they are built to last. Just as smooth as glass and they should be, being 85% hand made. I have had 26 and 28 inch barrels... love both but use the shorter one a lot more. Buy one and the value goes up while you shoot it.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B2

Sixpack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was actually thinking Beretta or citori when I made the post. Didn’t expect many to recommend the 28” barrel though. Why the longer barrels? Swing better? Just curious. Thanks for replies and keep me coming!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
28 just move better than the shorter tubes. Novice shooters will think the shorter barrels are better and you will hear all the “I hunt the brush chit” but in the end the guys that REALLY know how to handle a scattergun will all tell you to avoid 26 inch guns. As to resale they are the worst by far.
But your not buying the gun to turn so do it right to start and go 28. I own a 16 gauge citori with 28’s and wish it had 30’s. I have never felt the barrels were too long but always feel they are too short.

Browning or Beretta, they will both out live you and are great guns. See if you can find a place to shoot both and ask the top gun if he recommends 26 inch barrels.

Sixpack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by passport
28 just move better than the shorter tubes. Novice shooters will think the shorter barrels are better and you will hear all the “I hunt the brush chit” but in the end the guys that REALLY know how to handle a scattergun will all tell you to avoid 26 inch guns. As to resale they are the worst by far.
But your not buying the gun to turn so do it right to start and go 28. I own a 16 gauge citori with 28’s and wish it had 30’s. I have never felt the barrels were too long but always feel they are too short.

Browning or Beretta, they will both out live you and are great guns. See if you can find a place to shoot both and ask the top gun if he recommends 26 inch barrels.

Appreciate the info! Helps a lot! Being more of rifleman, shotguns were used for wing shooting and small game when the rimfire wouldn’t work. I’ve always wanted a nice over and under; gathering info and everything says Browning and Beretta. Is it any specific model better than the other or to avoid?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
autos, and pumps have an additional 6 ins in length as far as the sighting plane when they are quoted as having a 28 in barrel. So your used to that extra length not there in O/U

So a 28 in O/U is pretty short. Best choice unless a lot of target then longer

Athena (SKB) if you can find one.

Beretta always good

Citori bigger action not as slim , but good gun.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Do not be tempted by the Turkish guns. It takes more skill to make a double and properly align-regulate the barrels than it takes to make a decent autoloader.

I would stick with Beretta or Browning ,or possible a Japanese made SKB. Don't fall for a Turkish made SKB. It's a different gun altogether trying to ride the name of a bankrupt company.

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
What do you boys think about a Winchester 101? I shot one years ago and I loved it. Best round of sporting clays ever, for me.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm ith Sasha and Abby. The Superposed fits me. My twenty has 26.5 inch barrels and I am happy with it. At about age 65, I traded my twelve in on a Beretta 687 SP IV to drop some weight. The Beretta is a pound or more lighter. I went with 28 inch barrels and am happy with that choice.

You can pick up nice twelve gauge Superposed guns for under $1500. Tweties, not usually. You should be able to find a new Beretta of some grade within budget. My only reason for recommending Them over The bank vault strong Citori is weight. The Citori is a little heavier and walking a ways will make a difference. I rarely buy new guns anymore. There are lots of nice used guns around that are just broken in. You do have to make sure some less than skilled gun plumber has not messed with them. You can usually tell by comparing with a new like model.

Best,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sixpack
Originally Posted by passport

Appreciate the info! Helps a lot! Being more of rifleman, shotguns were used for wing shooting and small game when the rimfire wouldn’t work. I’ve always wanted a nice over and under; gathering info and everything says Browning and Beretta. Is it any specific model better than the other or to avoid?

Not really, The low end stuff by CZ and anything made in Turkey is best left alone but any of the Browning, Beretta, SKB and other guns at that price point will work great for the casual shooter/hunter. If you decide to go shoot sporting clays and want to bang out 20k rounds per year I might recommend some different guns but for what you have said you want a Browning Citori or Beretta 686 or 687 would be great. Just remember fit is everything

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
What do you boys think about a Winchester 101? I shot one years ago and I loved it. Best round of sporting clays ever, for me.

Win 101, 28" would be my choice.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The franchi instinct is a very solid gun

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

An original is excellent. The recreations not so much.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Do not be tempted by the Turkish guns. It takes more skill to make a double and properly align-regulate the barrels than it takes to make a decent autoloader.

I would stick with Beretta or Browning ,or possible a Japanese made SKB. Don't fall for a Turkish made SKB. It's a different gun altogether trying to ride the name of a bankrupt company.

All perfectly stated.. Those Turk guns look nice on the outside, but it's the innards that make the gun - and they ain't got it.. The non-Turk SKBs have excellent internals - equal easily to any Citori and in some ways better..

Last edited by Redneck; 02/15/18.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Look for a Nikko. They are the same as Wincester 101 and can be picked up reasonable. Also easy to repair

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
First step is to handle as many O/U as you can. You will find a manufacturer that makes a stock that fits you out of the box. It may not be the manufacturer you were planning on but .... For me the Berettas and Brownings were nice, but didn't fit me well. I ended up with a Caesar Guerini that fits like it was made for me. Definitely more dollars than I was planning on spending for a hunting shotgun, but I can't take it with me and it is my retirement gift to myself!

I also have an older SKB 500 that fits me excellent. Don't overlook an older O/U as there are some beauties out there. I would stay away from most Turk O/U or SxS as I have had issues with most and all are down the road.

Sixpack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Appreciate all the info! Great stuff! I’m in the early stages of research and probably won’t get it till late summer or fall. Still saving my pennies!

This process started 15 years ago. I was looking at over/unders and was really thinking about a Red Label. I first picked up a Storger; didn’t fit well at all. Moved to the Red Label, much better. About this time, Mr. Gunsaleaman shows up and asks what I’m looking for. “Over and Under.” He said” Red Label is nice but try this and compare.” He hands me a Beretta 686 (maybe?) and it was all over. Couldn’t afford it then; wife was pregnant with number two. Better situation now but I’ll never forget how great that Beretta felt and swing. No comparison to either of the others. Never held a Citori but will soon before I buy. But it needs to feel a lot better than the Beretta for me to pick it.

These are the two I am mainly focusing on as for as new guns (both 20 gauge and 28” barrels):

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/686-silver-pigeon-i/#

http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/shotguns/citori/current-production/cxs.html

What are the real world prices on these? Any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
745 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,961 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,764
Posts18,401,436
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.