Print Thread
Hop To
T
tommyv Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Any recommendations on inexpensive night vision? Moving to a Farm and would like to see what’s walking around at night. Thanks

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sightmark Ghost Hunter 2 x 24 Binocular is about as cheap as you can get.

Last edited by carlm; 12/05/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
carlm Do yo have a sight to to see Bino.'s the one I looked at had no Binoculars listed. Thanks for your time. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This is my opinion, so it's worth what you paid for it, if you decide to get night vision, as in monoculars, binoculars, or a scope, get 3rd generation with IR. You will be happy with nothing less, even with them, you will need at least a quarter moon to see clearly. Even then it will be a little grainy. Now if you want to "see" in the dark get a hand held thermal unit you can point. They are 10 times as good as night vision, total darkness they are great. I see you are in Tennessee, so you have pigs. My advise is to get a thermal scope and put it on a dedicated rifle. Did I mention they are great. I have both, and I had to learn the hard way. I bought the Flir R series Thermal.

Doug

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You get what you pay for with NV and thermal. There is no Ruger American equivalent in the NV world. That said, I'm a fan of Pulsar products, especially their thermals. YMMV

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
carlm Thanks. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How are the ATN ThOR 384?

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I would also like to know about the ATN and the SightMark Photon products.
Anybody?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bbassi
You get what you pay for with NV and thermal. There is no Ruger American equivalent in the NV world. That said, I'm a fan of Pulsar products, especially their thermals. YMMV

Pulsar makes some nice stuff!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by bbassi

Agree. Pulsar makes very good NV which I prefer to Thermal

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by gann
I would also like to know about the ATN and the SightMark Photon products.
Anybody?

I know nothing about ATN beyond their reputation in regards to warranties, which isn't good. I had a Photon 4.6 for a couple years. It's an "ok" digital night vision which will require you to use IR. That works great if you sit in the middle of a winter wheat field to call, but any vegetation, or rain/fog/snow is going to blind you with the IR reflection in the scope. I kept mine as a backup for a couple years after getting my thermal, but finally sold it this year. I'm going to end up with either another thermal or a gen2+ or gen 3 NV scope. I REALLY love thermal though.

For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've thought about NV goggles with an IR laser sight on the gun.

Has anyone tried that?

DF

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm sure someone has. The use of a PVS14 monocular with an ir laser sight on the gun in pretty common. It's supposed to be OK for shorter ranges. I have both the helmet mounted PVS14 and IR laser, but don't know if I can get used to aiming/shooting that way.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
What's the best bang for the buck with thermal?

DF

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
That's a tough question DF. Most of us don't have the scratch to compare models first hand, and it really depends on what you want to do/how far you need to shoot. I've been a fan of Pulsar for a while but they are having some major issues with their new Trail line. That said I would not be afraid to grab another APEX. I've also been looking at the new FLIR PTS223 as a budget backup. I'd stay away from ATN based solely on CS reputation.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Does anyone have experience with FLIR CS?

DF

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
That's a tough question DF. Most of us don't have the scratch to compare models first hand, and it really depends on what you want to do/how far you need to shoot. I've been a fan of Pulsar for a while but they are having some major issues with their new Trail line. That said I would not be afraid to grab another APEX. I've also been looking at the new FLIR PTS223 as a budget backup. I'd stay away from ATN based solely on CS reputation.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 160user, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 3,026 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,337
Posts18,468,690
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.