Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Kudu1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Hi folks can anyone recommend a motel , B and B , in Johanesburg possibly near air port , also firearm friendly . Thanks

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
African Sky Guesthouse or Afton Safari Lodge.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've stayed at Afton and it was a good experience. Had them pick us up at the airport and handle the guns.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I’ve stayed in the City Lodge Hotel in the airport, the meet and greet guy walked us to the hotel, picked up next AM and walked us the check in for our flight to Port Elizabeth

Also stayed with Africa Sky guest house who did meet greet and pick up. My PH picked me up there the following morning.

Both very good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Afton Lodge was where I stayed. They cater to a lot of hunters, and have a gun safe on the premises. They're no strangers to folks wanting what you're wanting.

They made a great steak too.

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have stayed at African Sky and Intercontinental. If I was to go back, I would stay either at Intercontinental or City Lodge. I would not stay off Airport anymore, too many robberies outside the airport.

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Afton house or the airport City Lodge both do well

Scott

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
My wife and stayed at African Sky and the staff was friendly,efficient, and professional. The steak dinner was superb as was the breakfast. If I ever return to RSA, I will stay at African Sky. Porsche73

It ain't the way it used to be, but it will do.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Gotta love Africa Sky. Meals are fantastic as Porsche said, and the free brews when your kicking back after a 16 hr flight don't suck. City Lodge is nice too, just like nice American hotels.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have done Afton and was more than pleased even though the rest of my family (four) missed a flight from Dubai so I was alone. Steve Turner sorted things and in the end we had a great trip.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have tried all except AfricaSky.
I always stay at City Lodge...I never leave the airport so very secure, they have a pool, and the food is excellent; plus all at a reasonable price.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I stayed at Afton House, well sort of, they overbooked and we were sent to Eland House, a fine Greek South African owned Eland House. We were brought back to Afton House for dinner, I got the smallest $25 steak ever, they also lost my gun permit and I was at the airport for 2 hours waiting for them to find it and the coppers weren't very happy. My understanding Afton House is under new management.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RinB
I always stay at City Lodge...I never leave the airport so very secure, they have a pool, and the food is excellent; plus all at a reasonable price.

Do you travel with firearms? Would be interested to hear how they handle that. Always like to have many options for my hunters.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris

Do you travel with firearms? Would be interested to hear how they handle that. Always like to have many options for my hunters.

When I stayed at CL, I had the rifle in my room with me. I just took it up there with the rest of my luggage.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
K
Kudu1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Great info , thanks guys I might be PM ing you folks for info as date gets close .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGRaider

When I stayed at CL, I had the rifle in my room with me. I just took it up there with the rest of my luggage.

Thank you sir.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

At Intercontinental they offered to store the gun, but I took it to my room and placed in under the bed. At Africa Sky they took the gun, period. But they also stored my gun for 2 weeks too

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GRF
I’ve stayed in the City Lodge Hotel in the airport, the meet and greet guy walked us to the hotel, picked up next AM and walked us the check in for our flight to Port Elizabeth

Also stayed with Africa Sky guest house who did meet greet and pick up. My PH picked me up there the following morning.

Both very good.

I would use the City Lodge again. Very convenient for an early morning flight the next day. No issues with firearms. Took it to my room.

Last edited by AB2506; 02/16/18.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I've stayed at the Africa Sky, Afton, Intercontinental and City Lodge. Prefer the City Lodge as it's inside the airport. safe, secure, easy to get to and then on to your gate the next day with no bus or other transport needed.

Intercontinental at the airport is quite nice, but pricey.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Have stayed at City Lodge at least seven times. Always take my rifles to my room. Very helpful staff. Nice to use pool and spa. The restaurant makes one of my favorite meals.

I never dress like an American hunter. Most look like they are set to invade a small country, camo backpack, big boots, serious game face, etc. I dress and act like a gentleman bird hunter or golfer: sweater, jacket, gun case, checked bag, no camo, smiling, relaxed, on vacation, and so on. I think of myself as a guest in somebody’s home and act accordingly. My southern influence causes me to say sir and mam. I never have had any issues, actually folks go out of their way to be helpful. Try going to the SAPS office and act like an arrogant foreigner...you might wait for a long time while your officer takes a lunch break. Watched that!

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Have stayed at City Lodge at least seven times. Always take my rifles to my room. Very helpful staff. Nice to use pool and spa. The restaurant makes one of my favorite meals.

I never dress like an American hunter. Most look like they are set to invade a small country, camo backpack, big boots, serious game face, etc. I dress and act like a gentleman bird hunter or golfer: sweater, jacket, gun case, checked bag, no camo, smiling, relaxed, on vacation, and so on. I think of myself as a guest in somebody’s home and act accordingly. My southern influence causes me to say sir and mam. I never have had any issues, actually folks go out of their way to be helpful. Try going to the SAPS office and act like an arrogant foreigner...you might wait for a long time while your officer takes a lunch break. Watched that!

Terrific post, lots of wisdom in there.

Spent several days at City Lodge when in J'berg last fall before going on to a hunt in Zimbabwe.

Breakfast was good. Out and about for dinners, so didn't try there or the Intercontinental whose meals are supposed to be quite good.

Needed to get around one afternoon and they set me up with car/driver for a flat fee for several hrs here and there and was easy and cheap.

SAPS had a few hunters checking guns on arrival and did my own permit in about 25 minutes (could have been shorter but was conversing with PH about his H&H Royale Double and his Zambia exploits)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
African Sky is ultra nice

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
It is Africa Sky not African Sky.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Do you have to walk outside to get to City Lodge? If so, how far? Did it seem safe?

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
[quote=postoak]Do you have to walk outside to get to City Lodge? If so, how far? Did it seem safe?[/
No, enclosed walkway. Intercontinental you walk outside.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks, how is the walk to the Intercontinental? How far? Lighted well? Feel safe?

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
The walk to Intercontinental from the international terminal is shorter then the walk to City Lodge. It's just that you just have to go outside walk about 100 feet. No danger other then car could jump the curb and kill or injure you, possible but not probable.

Last edited by wesheltonj; 02/17/18.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks for that info wesheltonj. smile

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by GRF

Both very good.

I stayed at both of these and both were fine.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by postoak
It is Africa Sky not African Sky.

Thank you for taking the time from your day to correct me.....

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

414 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 39 invisible), 1,934 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,726
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.